23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Discovery 3

9 39.13%
  • Pathfinder

14 60.87%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Discovery 3 / Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Fab View Post
    And as far as I understand, because it was engineered to be removed, it's not such a big job anyways. I can get to a two-post lift... So this doesn't put me off at all. It's just bolts and nuts after all
    Its really really easy to do.
    2005 Land Rover Discovery 3 V8 (Will allways end up with an V8)
    1967 Land Rover Series 2A 3.5 V8 (The Green Machine)
    196? Land Rover Series 2 V8 100" (The Coiler)
    2007 Subaru Forester XT 2.5T (The Daily)

Ex.
    1996 Land Rover Discovery 1 Tdi
    1997 Land Rover Discovery 1 V8
    2001 Land Rover Discovery 2 V8
    2006 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
    2007 Land Rover Freelander 2 TD4

Just to throw a spanner in, or is it a bone.

I am considering selling my D3 V8 and moving to a SWB Pajero
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

Quote Originally Posted by Disco-Deon View Post

Fuel consumption?
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

I thought you needed 7 seater?

In fact I would quote the post but the Thread disappeared...

Thanks Deon, but I think it's still too early for me. I need to get my ducks in a row first. But if you're looking at selling it some time early next year, let me know

current: 02 Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD swap, and a camping trailer
    previous: 97 Pajero LWB 3.5 V6, 99 Pathfinder R50 3.3 V6, 98 Defender 90 300 TDi bakkie

I think you are limiting your search to two vehicles only. Both have got good qualities but a couple of challenges. May I suggest as above that you extend your viewing to include the Pajero short or long wheelbase models. I think you need to be very clear on what you want it for. I had many happy Kms with our paj with very little cost outlay. I now have at Jeep Grand Cherokee for 170,000kms and costs have also been minimal. Therefor 2 more vehicles to add to the mix and don't forget the Prado in 'the same age group you re looking at.

Happy hunting
    Last edited by MikevR; 2017/11/06 at 12:19 PM.
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Fuel consumption?
    No.

Selling to buy 2 vehicles, actually looking at a D4 V8 as the other purchase. Consumption was a skrik at 1st but now after a few months it's no problem. Don't expect much better from a 3.5/ 3.8L V6
    Last edited by Disco-Deon; 2017/11/06 at 01:07 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,

Quote Originally Posted by MikevR View Post
    I think you are limiting your search to two vehicles only. Both have got good qualities but a couple of challenges. May I suggest as above that you extend your viewing to include the Pajero short or long wheelbase models. I think you need to be very clear on what you want it for. I had many happy Kms with our paj with very little cost outlay. I now have at Jeep Grand Cherokee for 170,000kms and costs have also been minimal. Therefor 2 more vehicles to add to the mix and don't forget the Prado in 'the same age group you re looking at.

Happy hunting
    I owned a Gen2 Pajero, and I still like these, just "old school". I'm not the biggest fan of the Gen3, but it's growing on me slowly.
    I also like the Grand Cherokee.

At the moment I'm considering a 7 seater as the family is growing, but I think it's one of those that you are cursing when you don't need it (rear seats in the way on a Gen2 Pajero for example) and that you wish you had for that one time in the year when you need that extra seating...
    In this regard, The Disco3, Pathfinder and Gen3 Pajero have neatly folding away rear seats, which aren't really in the way when you don't need them.
    So let's say that it's an advantage to have the 7 seats, but not a necessity, but still that puts the Grand Cherokee at a slight disadvantage. Spares availability and prices are also a concern with these. But you're right, depending on what available when I'm ready, a Grand or a Paj are still contenders.
    Prado is over priced in my opinion, and I'd rather not join the "crowd"

previous: 97 Pajero LWB 3.5 V6, 99 Pathfinder R50 3.3 V6, 98 Defender 90 300 TDi bakkie

If you can stomach the fuel costs it's really hard to beat the V8 Discovery, once you sit in that well appointed cabin and feel that V8 pull its hard to choose otherwise. Never mind that they are really good lookers(In my opinion much better than the D4) and apparently very capable off road.

How much does a nice condition D3 V8 sell for?

Other thing is there must be so many used body and interior spares available considering all the junked D3 V6's that must be lying in scrapyards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    I thought you needed 7 seater?

In fact I would quote the post but the Thread disappeared...
    We wonder why the thread disappeared...
    Seeing that you know or need to so much of my personal life;

I plan on buying a Shorty Pajero as my M-S car the same as my Disco has been. Work, Play all in one.
    Then I'll be adding a SEVEN SEATER Discovery 4 V8, probably SE, as our platkar, family car, touring, holiday maker.

Hope this clears up your obvious confusion about what I am up to.
    Last edited by Disco-Deon; 2017/11/06 at 02:21 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,

We wonder why the thread disappeared...
    Seeing that you know or need to so much of my personal life...

Hope this clears up your obvious confusion about what I am up to.
    Well, you spew so much about your life onto the Forum, so I'm a bit surprised you are surprised.
    You start long Threads asking for advice that you are not going to take.
    Then you shoot down any advice you don't like by releasing facts in a drip drab fashion.
    We hear about your health, your back, your large family etc.

The problem is sometimes you make contradictory statements.

But you have been very helpful

You have limited funds.
    You bought a D3 V8
    You were going to buy a D5 but that was a lie/joke/subject to a lottery win.
    Now you are selling the D3 V8 to buy a SWB Pajero.
    Then you are also going to buy a D4 V8.

If this all happens in time you'll go fetch you fiercely independent son who asked daddy to find him a lift to George & is still walking, apparently.

BTW: I'm still hurt you rejected my suggestion you buy a Toyota Corolla Quest Auto...

Since you ignore good advice here's more "The only time you lose money on a vehicle is when you buy, or sell, it"..

Happy SUV hunting...

Last edited by Mad Manny; 2017/11/06 at 03:19 PM.

Actually - no I'll leave that for your imagination.
    I have ZERO reason to reply
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,

Thanks Deon.
    I'd like to help with couple's therapy, but I haven't graduated yet. I'm still learning from my wife (aren't we all)

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    If you can stomach the fuel costs it's really hard to beat the V8 Discovery, once you sit in that well appointed cabin and feel that V8 pull its hard to choose otherwise. Never mind that they are really good lookers(In my opinion much better than the D4) and apparently very capable off road.

How much does a nice condition D3 V8 sell for?

Other thing is there must be so many used body and interior spares available considering all the junked D3 V6's that must be lying in scrapyards.
    I think you're right...
    I've seen very cheap V8 on the net around the R80k mark, but condition and hidden treasures unknown.
    I'm actually thinking more and more about the V6 (petrol). Don't ask me why, it's almost like I'm a bit shy to aim for the big boy's toy

I just went on the Nissan side of the forum. That was 10 minutes ago. It's pretty quiet there
    Very few threads about the Pathfinder, it makes me a bit sad.
    Dealers and Nissan SA are highly esteemed... not!
    Shame... I still like it though, and will make a plan to go test drive one when I have the opportunity.

Before that I went on the Land rover side of the forum. That was probably 2 hours ago

I test drove the Pathfinder a few weeks back, the one thing I did not like was the driver seat and position. Other than that I really cannot fault it. Yes, the driving comfort is not that of the D3, but when you remove the worries it sort of makes sense.

Price wise you can get some really good deals on Pathfinders currently.

(I also arrived to test drive it, but deep down I already knew that I will not like it, even if I like it, and that I wanted a JK again.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I test drove the Pathfinder a few weeks back, the one thing I did not like was the driver seat and position. Other than that I really cannot fault it. Yes, the driving comfort is not that of the D3, but when you remove the worries it sort of makes sense.

Price wise you can get some really good deals on Pathfinders currently.

(I also arrived to test drive it, but deep down I already knew that I will not like it, even if I like it, and that I wanted a JK again.)
    Thanks Dirk.

I need to look at the whole package, not just the selling price. Buy cheap but bleed when I need spares, not cool...
    The more I look at it, the "cheaper" the Disco seems to be when it comes to spares and their availability, either new or used.

Now just thinking out loud It's been mentioned a few times, is the supercharged V8 a straight swap (with its ECU)? My realistic guess is that it's not...
    No because there is a seized V8 for sale, and I'm sure the dealer can't wait to get rid of it

Why did the V8 seize?

My experience is don't buy a wreck unless you have a definite plan of action, you have a totally kitted workshop or your mate owns a garage and you have all the necessary spares lined up, done deal. Nothing worse than buying a "bargain" due to damage and the rebuild becomes a progressively more expensive nightmare the deeper you dig into it. With those kind of deals there hardly ever free lunch..

Find a a bargain by the best way, time in the market watching the available deals day in day out, or whatever the case may be. The resale value on these D3's is already horrendous, you just need to hang in there till a nice clean/fsh/lower mileage vehicle crops up.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Default Discovery 3 / Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by JeandreDiedericks View Post
    Yup defintely no need to take the body off. The engine can be removed WITHOUT taking the body off. Turbo can be replaced WITHOUT taking the body off. The gearbox can be removed WITHOUT taking the body off. So i really don't understand why everybody has an issue because the body has to come off, everything on the disco 3 can be removed and replaced without taking the body off.
    Hi Guys, thanks for the info....not going to name and shame, but probably one of the most reputable indie’s in Durban......so when I was told the body had to come off, I took his word for it.
    Last edited by Markus and Zelda; 2017/11/07 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Why did the V8 seize?

My experience is don't buy a wreck unless you have a definite plan of action, you have a totally kitted workshop or your mate owns a garage and you have all the necessary spares lined up, done deal. Nothing worse than buying a "bargain" due to damage and the rebuild becomes a progressively more expensive nightmare the deeper you dig into it. With those kind of deals there hardly ever free lunch..

Find a a bargain by the best way, time in the market watching the available deals day in day out, or whatever the case may be. The resale value on these D3's is already horrendous, you just need to hang in there till a nice clean/fsh/lower mileage vehicle crops up.
    I know you're right. Because you sound like my wife
    Thanks for the realistic slap in the face, it's always good to be reminded of these things.

As for the reason why it seized, I would imagine coolant loss due to the cracked T-piece. But I haven't inquired, and probably won't right now.
    I'll wait for the right time and the right opportunity.
    Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast