300 tdi vacuum pump replacement- bad to worse

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 300 tdi vacuum pump replacement- bad to worse

Hi all

I finally got round to fitting the new vacuum pump. The old one has been noisy since I got the car, though I suspected noisy tappets.

I ran into a problem though.

Old pump

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171101_205707.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	466256

Cam

Name:	171101_212856.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	466257

What the pump plunger surface should look like:

Name:	IMG_20171101_205812.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	466258

I hope the photos get added. If not I will link it on the laptop tomorrow.

Any opinions on what to do with the cam lobe? Leaving it as is will simply destroy the new pump in no time.

Is it time for a new cam? Weld this cam up and resurface (taking into account this original cam has worked for the past 400000km)?
    Get a nice hot cam to assist the vgt turbo with breathing? Hehehe...

Regards
    Derik

Default Re: 300 tdi vacuum pump replacement- bad to worse

That looks like a new cam the lobe is to damaged,
    and then you can have a look at the rollers which run on the cam for lifters, when take cam out, but means head off and front casings to change cam
    i think there is also a oil squirted nozzle that directs oil onto that lobe as well check that out
    Last edited by clivemd; 2017/11/02 at 06:44 AM.
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Hot cams are not appropriate for turbo diesels as the exhaust and inlet timing overlap is very precise.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I suspect you will be replacing cam followers as well. As Jelo said be careful with longer duration cams on a diesel. Less is often more on them. You can likely go for higher lift but I'm not sure you will be able to on the 300. I'm just afraid that you will lose even more during the boost threshold range if you mess with the cam.

Thanks for the advice!

Nah I agree on the cam issue. I do not need a racing car :-)

Darn, I did not realise it is a head off operation to change the cam I would not like to open the motor. Usually when I do things like this I end up replacing anything looking remotely worn

But yes, if it gets a new cam it will get new followers. No use running worn stuff on new surfaces.

If your cam followers for lifters are still good use them as the aftermarket ones are not upto spec as Original, and the roller lifter and guide are paired don’t muddle them up when taking apart, you can keep the guide it just remove lifter and roller, they all might be ok just the pump lobe that got damaged, if the rest are damaged then could be due to low oil pressure if all are pitted
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

8. The Following User Says Thank You to clivemd For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AR155 View Post
    Thanks for the advice!

Nah I agree on the cam issue. I do not need a racing car :-)

Darn, I did not realise it is a head off operation to change the cam I would not like to open the motor. Usually when I do things like this I end up replacing anything looking remotely worn

But yes, if it gets a new cam it will get new followers. No use running worn stuff on new surfaces.
    Hi Derik

that looks to me that the metal hardness of the vacuum pump plunger was incorrect. The picture shows most definitely the result of excessive wear due to incorrect rockwell grade hardness of the pump plunger.

Those vacuum pumps have become an absolute nitemare. Take the vehicle to Walter at LRXtreme, he knows that vehicle well. Let him fit the vacuum pump from the IH Powerstroke motor. It entails a new alternator/vacuum pump assembly. That way you save yourself the trouble of having to open that motor.

I hope that you continued to run the motor on Delo400 as I advised you to, when you bought it from me.

That motor never overheated, so the head should still be in good condition.

Good luck!

George
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Hi George

I already bought a new vacuum pump in April, but fitting it like this is of no use. I need to work out costs of fitting new cam.

However, as these pumps are crappy quality nowadays, I thought about fitting an electric vacuum pump.

Converting to an alternator mounted vacuum pump will mean oil feed also. An extra source of leaks :-)

I only use Delo400 :-) But honestly, I change oil based on time not kilos LOL

Uhm... it did overheat once coming from Durbs with the 101FC on a trailer The viscous fan went kaput. Madman showed 119degC within seconds (obviously the standard needle had JUST started to move from the middle). That was 1.5 years ago and she is as strong as ever so I reckon no damage had been done. These motors are really tougher than what they are being given credit for!

Madman for the win! I would not even have known that I was cooking the motor if I only had the standard gauge

Hi George

I already bought a new vacuum pump in April, but fitting it like this is of no use. I need to work out costs of fitting new cam.

However, as these pumps are crappy quality nowadays, I thought about fitting an electric vacuum pump.

Converting to an alternator mounted vacuum pump will mean oil feed also. An extra source of leaks :-)

Uhm... it did overheat once coming from Durbs with the 101FC on a trailer The viscous fan went kaput. Madman showed 119degC within seconds (obviously the standard needle had JUST started to move from the middle). That was 1.5 years ago and she is as strong as ever so I reckon no damage had been done. These motors are really tougher than what they are being given credit for!

Madman for the win! I would not even have known that I was cooking the motor if I only had the standard gauge
    Hi Derik

yes electric vacuum pump is an alternative. Easy and effective. You just need to make sure that the battery is always properly charged
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Hi AR155
    What make was that pump that you took out, as I removed mine due to leak and the plunger has started to pit and that in less then 15000 Km, cam lobe is still ok lucky
    Was give a replacement will have to see what make replacement one is

Here is pic of one taken out and has Unipumps stamped in it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180121_144531.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	474186   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180121_144550.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	474187  
    2005 Defender TD5

Hi George

investigated the option of fitting an alternator with vacuum pump and not feasible. the alternator is simply too close to the turbo.
    looking at the belt driven Puma vacuum pump as an option.

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Landyluvver For This Useful Post:

When the time comes I will be fitting an electric vacuum pump.
    On one of the Oz forums a guy fitted one fron an Audi A4.

Seems like a easy fix.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind²)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    When the time comes I will be fitting an electric vacuum pump.
    On one of the Oz forums a guy fitted one fron an Audi A4.

Seems like a easy fix.
    Will also need vacuum switch and relay also was looking at something like this
    2005 Defender TD5

Hi George

Hi Derik

I would go for an electric vacuum pump. The pump that was in the vehicle when you got it was a Unipump. If the vehicle runs properly, i.e. no loss of power or misfire, then that means that only the vacuum pump lobe was damaged. So there would be no need to fit a new cam. The motor has never been opened, by the time you took it over from me.

The speed control has its own vacuum pump, which sits below the jack tray behind LHD front headlight. So no sweat there.
    Last edited by hgbosch; 2018/01/21 at 11:16 PM.
    George Bosch

Distributor for:

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    Hi AR155
    What make was that pump that you took out, as I removed mine due to leak and the plunger has started to pit and that in less then 15000 Km, cam lobe is still ok lucky
    Was give a replacement will have to see what make replacement one is

Here is pic of one taken out and has Unipumps stamped in it
    Hi Clive

Indeed mine was also a unipump :-(

I do have a brand new pump for you that I purchased and did not fit due to the cam lobe being worn out.

Regards

Derik

Hi Derik

as I said before, fit an electric pump. Just go to a VW/Audi scrap yard and look for a pump and its wiring harness. Then you can make up you own.

On your rig, the EGR has been removed, so it is only the brake booster that needs vacuum. And for that you don't need a relay, as the old style mechanical vacuum pumps are also connected directly to the booster. You can however fit a relay set up in such a way, that the pump only works, when the engine is running.

The product quality of those Wabco pumps for the 300Tdi have become a real liability due to shocking quality control (reminds me of D4 cranks ).

When I fitted the Unipump, which I sourced from LP4A in Pinetown, they were the only ones with a somewhat decent quality. By that time I was already on pump #4 .
    Last edited by hgbosch; 2018/01/23 at 08:06 AM.
    George Bosch

Distributor for:

20. The Following User Says Thank You to hgbosch For This Useful Post:

Here is a picture of one guy's setup.

I must admit it's bigger than I thought it will be but it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind²)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

It is time for an update.

Wingate in Johannesburg sells a vacuum pump kit for about R4600.

I fitted the electric pump in December. The kit has everything you need included, and the pump is tested by Wingate before selling it.

I added one relay as peace of mind.

The electric pump is noisy for a few seconds until the desired vacuum is reached.

The best part is the engine is running A LOT quieter than before.

Some pics:

Size wrt A4 page

Name:	IMG_20171114_190748.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	474619

Installation notes

Name:	IMG_20171114_190902.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	474620

The kit

Name:	IMG_20171114_191051.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	474621

Installed

Name:	IMG_20171227_114613.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	474622

Happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Here is a picture of one guy's setup.

LOL SNAP!! While I was resizing jpg's you beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by hgbosch View Post

The speed control has its own vacuum pump, which sits below the jack tray behind LHD front headlight. So no sweat there.

Yeah, took me quite some time to figure this out

During my install I tried a few different sources for ignition on signal. I first tried tapping into the glowplug relay, but this caused the glowplugs to stop working... Checked the fuse, nope fuse is fine.

And so started days of searching for the possible fault. Before I gave up completely, I decided to remove ALL fuses and check EACH one with tester. So wragtig, one of the fuses had like a hairline crack through the little wire. I missed this when eye balling it... Et voila!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast