Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Beware, I got robbed

Hi all,

I want to share my experience with you all. Maybe it will help that none of you got caught out as well. Last week I stopped across a butchery in one of Pretoria's suburbs to purchase biltong. I was in the shop no longer than three of four minutes. I walked back to my Ranger and as I unlocked the Ranger with the remote and opened the driver door a man stretched out his arm from behind me and pressed the button/switch on the inside of the driver door that unlocks the other doors. I turned around and asked him what he wants not realizing immediately that my Ranger is now completely unlocked. He started to argue with me about something that I cannot even remember. I pushed the guy away and told him to get lost although I used much stronger language. Because I did not want to turn my back on him I back peddled and got into my Ranger with my back first. Then it happened. A voice on the passenger seat told me to shut up, not look at him and to look at the dashboard. From the corner of my eye I could see my worst fear has come true. He pointed a gun at me. I kept quiet as told but a million escape plans ran through my head. Anyway, he proceeded to search the cubbyhole and found nothing of value. He then took all the small change in the little space between the two seats, about R 50 - R 100. Then he opened the box between the seats where there was R 9 000-00 and took all the money and then got out my Ranger without saying another word. I started the Ranger and drove off for about 50 yards and got out. Both guys were nowhere to be seen. They simply vanished. I don't even know the color of the clothes of the guy inside my Ranger. All of this probably happened in less than a minute.

What I want to warn everyone about is the following: When you approach your vehicle make sure no one follows you. I never saw the guy who walked behind me until I opened the door - when it was too late. The other guy was waiting on the other side of my Ranger. I also never saw him due to the aluminium canopy. Also make sure there is nobody on the other side of the vehicle, walk around it. Allow no one near your vehicle before getting in. It was clear to me that these guys knew what they were doing, probably caught out many other people as well. And it was also clear they knew the inside of a Ranger very, very well. They did their homework.

I was furious about the lost money but coming to think of it, the money could have saved my life because the guy could have had plans to hijack me and my Ranger but when he saw the money decided to take the money and run. It was sheer co-incidence that I had that much money in my Ranger. I will never know what could have happened, but it was scary. I got caught out with my pants down because I was not vigilant enough. Let it not happen to you.

Regards

Johann

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to offroaderja For This Useful Post:

Thumbs down Re: Beware, I got robbed

Sheeeit! Glad YOU are OK, it could have turned out much worse!
    Mark Backler
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.

Default Beware, I got robbed

These weren't random guys taking a chance. They knew you had money. You were targeted.
    My best bet is you have an informant somewhere.
    Last edited by boanergesza1; 2017/10/31 at 11:02 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boanergesza1 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Beware, I got robbed

Where is Pretoria was this?

Hi,

Sorry to hear, yes we all need to be vigilant all the time even at the robots and stop streets, not just parking areas because a lot of the time the security turns a blind eye to what is happening right in front of him - I ready myself every time a beggar or someone selling stuff approach my car.

If I may ask, in which suburb did this happen?

Cheers
    Bill
    Grand Cherokee 4.0 ZJ

Quote Originally Posted by boanergesza1 View Post
    These weren't random guys taking a chance. They knew you had money. You were targeted.

Had you been to a bank?
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Did you draw the cash at a teller inside the bank? if so chances are they tip off the robbers to follow you.

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Eish, sorry to hear that and thanks for sharing. The criminals are becoming more and more enterprising, and I would have probably also been caught by these guys. I am just happy to hear your Ranger is not stolen, but most of all that you were not injured or worse. Strongs...

Thanks for sharing! Glad you are OK.
    Are these type of crimes gonna get lesser in SA?
    Call me a pessimist but I don't think so. Be vigilant at all times, espescially the oldtimers.
    Last edited by Jors55; 2017/10/31 at 11:12 AM. Reason: word missing
    2019 Fortuner 2.4 Auto 4x4
    2006 Jeep 3.7 Limited with 1.5" lift

Absolutely
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Could've should've or would've not important, main part is that you were unharmed and got off relatively easy. You can analize this to bits and find a million wrongs and other ways you could have prevented ......its not going to change anything, learn from it and move on.

Thanks for sharing, if it avoids one similar incident it was well worth the effort.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Not necessarily so - they target us older folk knowing that we mostly react slower, and have less power than we did when we were younger.

Having said that, if you had recently drawn the cash then you may have been followed.

Anyway - they seem to have done their homework.

Just be happy that you were not physically harmed and you still have your precious 4x4!!!
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Glad you are OK! Where in Pretoria did this happen?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakoos For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the heads up, pays to be vigilant these days. Glad you were unharmed.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Lesson no 1 to 500:
    NEVER, HAVING DRAWN CASH STOP AT ANY OTHER PLACE THAN YOUR FINAL DESTINATION
    Lesson no 501 never leave cash in your vehicle
    Lesson no 502 do not use a bank money bag ever. Walking into a bank with empty bag and leaving bank with a full bag, let us guess what is in bag

Lesson 503 do not draw wages on exactly same day of week, do not use same vehicle, same time, same person to draw cash

Bad habit of mine, when i am in a bank in a queue, i check how many assholes i could have robbed (one victim every two or three minutes on a busy bank day)
    Not aimed at OP, just a general statement: There is no pill for stupid
    Last edited by julius caesar; 2017/10/31 at 01:28 PM.
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE

22. The Following User Says Thank You to julius caesar For This Useful Post:

thanks for sharing, glad you are unharmed. Good chance that this was not just a random act, but planned.

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderja View Post
    Hi all,

I want to share my experience with you all. Maybe it will help that none of you got caught out as well. Last week I stopped across a butchery in one of Pretoria's suburbs to purchase biltong. I was in the shop no longer than three of four minutes. I walked back to my Ranger and as I unlocked the Ranger with the remote and opened the driver door a man stretched out his arm from behind me and pressed the button/switch on the inside of the driver door that unlocks the other doors. I turned around and asked him what he wants not realizing immediately that my Ranger is now completely unlocked. He started to argue with me about something that I cannot even remember. I pushed the guy away and told him to get lost although I used much stronger language. Because I did not want to turn my back on him I back peddled and got into my Ranger with my back first. Then it happened. A voice on the passenger seat told me to shut up, not look at him and to look at the dashboard. From the corner of my eye I could see my worst fear has come true. He pointed a gun at me. I kept quiet as told but a million escape plans ran through my head. Anyway, he proceeded to search the cubbyhole and found nothing of value. He then took all the small change in the little space between the two seats, about R 50 - R 100. Then he opened the box between the seats where there was R 9 000-00 and took all the money and then got out my Ranger without saying another word. I started the Ranger and drove off for about 50 yards and got out. Both guys were nowhere to be seen. They simply vanished. I don't even know the color of the clothes of the guy inside my Ranger. All of this probably happened in less than a minute.

What I want to warn everyone about is the following: When you approach your vehicle make sure no one follows you. I never saw the guy who walked behind me until I opened the door - when it was too late. The other guy was waiting on the other side of my Ranger. I also never saw him due to the aluminium canopy. Also make sure there is nobody on the other side of the vehicle, walk around it. Allow no one near your vehicle before getting in. It was clear to me that these guys knew what they were doing, probably caught out many other people as well. And it was also clear they knew the inside of a Ranger very, very well. They did their homework.

I was furious about the lost money but coming to think of it, the money could have saved my life because the guy could have had plans to hijack me and my Ranger but when he saw the money decided to take the money and run. It was sheer co-incidence that I had that much money in my Ranger. I will never know what could have happened, but it was scary. I got caught out with my pants down because I was not vigilant enough. Let it not happen to you.

Regards

Johann
    Second nature already. It comes naturally to me because I walk Jhb city central a lot, and I have been "tried" twice already whilst on foot, and I have had an attempt at my vehicle whilst stationary at in intersection.

You have to train yourself to do this.

Glad you're ok. Lesson learned.

ALWAYS ALWAYS BE VIGILANT AND ALERT AND AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS. It doesn't matter where you are, you are in South Africa.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

I'm usually pretty aware of my surroundings.

However, the other morning I was pre-occupied with a bunch of stuff and had my rugged smartphone nicked off the front passenger seat, in traffic.

It's just that ONE time that you forget you live in a criminal state..............and don't wind up the window on a hot day.

The perp came up on the bakkie's left hand side B-pillar blind spot, had a quick peak, saw the phone, and took his chance. Gone in a flash.

So don't feel bad, we can't be paraat 100% of the time.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by julius caesar View Post
    Lesson no 1 to 500:
    NEVER, HAVING DRAWN CASH STOP AT ANY OTHER PLACE THAN YOUR FINAL DESTINATION
    Lesson no 501 never leave cash in your vehicle
    Lesson no 502 do not use a bank money bag ever. Walking into a bank with empty bag and leaving bank with a full bag, let us guess what is in bag

Lesson 503 do not draw wages on exactly same day of week, do not use same vehicle, same time, same person to draw cash

Bad habit of mine, when i am in a bank in a queue, i check how many assholes i could have robbed (one victim every two or three minutes on a busy bank day)
    Not aimed at OP, just a general statement: There is no pill for stupid
    Lesson 504: don't draw wages. There is no reason today to do that. Everybody has access to ATMs, everybody has a simple cellphone, there are various cardless transactions available for paying wages.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

My SO has had 2 smash & grabs and 1 attempted hijacking this year...
    She was very lucky - had the dogs with her with the hijacking, and they sorted the guy out.
    Other 2 times she drove off with the guy half way in the window... Both times he got taken out by other drivers.
    This place is seriously getting to me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast