3D Printer Build

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default 3D Printer Build

Has anyone built their own 3d printer from scratch? I'm looking to build my own. Initially I only wanted a CnC milling machine to mill the copper on a copper PCB board.
    When I visited the 3dprinting store in centurion I cant help to want a 3d printer.

Note: The idea is to build my own. I don't want to buy it. Or buy a kit. Maybe later on I will buy a Persua i3, seen the results, not too bad for its price.

I need an easy design please give some advice.

This is the idea I have.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1461118983536679.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	466025

For starters I built this over the weekend.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	304.4 KB 
ID:	466026

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	466027

The dimensions of the wood is 20x20 300mm in width and length (Sides are 340mm) but theoretically it has a 300x300mm work area and will most probably only use 250x250.
    The frame is pretty sturdy and the joins are close to 90 degrees, but seeing its made out of wood its probably warped further away from the joins and will most probably give noticeable accuracy issues. But its just a temporary frame to get me going on programming an Arduino to parse GRBL data. Later when I have more money I will buy T-slot 40x40 alu extrusion.

Need some advice on the following.

Motors: seeing I work for a printing company I have access to electronic waste where I can scavenge motors. I have the below which has the same specs as a Nema 17, there's no name on it so it might even be a Nema 17 1.8 degree step.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	466028

The motors you buy from 3d printing stores mostly have 4 wires where as this has 6 because it's a uni-polar and not bi-polar, But from what I can see on google uni polar motors can be used as Bi polar motors by ignoring the center tapped wire from its coil. I measured it and grouped the wires in the photo with insulation tape, across the center tap it measures 8.7 ohms and from the center to each end it measures 4.5 ohms which confirms it's indeed center tapped. But how will I figure out which is A and B. What will happen if i connect it the wrong way around, Will it simply rotate the wrong way round or will it fight directions and end up burning the motor or stepper controller. (stepper Controllers aren't cheap) R100 a pop!

Whats easier, belt drive or using a lead screw ? The one in the picture has a belt drive pulley pressed onto the shaft and really hard to remove. Not sure if it will be able to remove it without damaging the motor, but I might solve it by using a gear puller.

And looking at the frame. It seems easy to convert from a CnC milling machine to a 3D printer. But do you know of a better design keeping in mind that i need it to be easy to build with parts that's easy to come by. I dont want to go through the hassle of having someone water/laser cut parts that I need. Looks like aluminum cost more to machine. Weird its a softer metal ?

Will this suffice to control one motor ?

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	466032

http://www.3dprintingstore.co.za/ele...ith-heat-sink/ It can handle up to 2.2A

But a Nema 17 1.8 draw 1.7A/phase. Does this mean I need a stepper controller of minimum of 3.4A seeing a Bi-Polar has 2 phases ? or does the above mean its capable of driving a motor that wont exceed 2.2A per phase ?

What else should I take note of ?
    JK 3.8L 2010 Rubicon Manual 2 door

Default Re: 3D Printer Build

Quote Originally Posted by SBSP View Post
    Has anyone built their own 3d printer from scratch? I'm looking to build my own. Initially I only wanted a CnC milling machine to mill the copper on a copper PCB board.
    When I visited the 3dprinting store in centurion I cant help to want a 3d printer.

Note: The idea is to build my own. I don't want to buy it. Or buy a kit. Maybe later on I will buy a Persua i3, seen the results, not too bad for its price.

I need an easy design please give some advice.

This is the idea I have.

Name:	1461118983536679.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	466025

For starters I built this over the weekend.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	304.4 KB 
ID:	466026

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	466027

The dimensions of the wood is 20x20 300mm in width and length (Sides are 340mm) but theoretically it has a 300x300mm work area and will most probably only use 250x250.
    The frame is pretty sturdy and the joins are close to 90 degrees, but seeing its made out of wood its probably warped further away from the joins and will most probably give noticeable accuracy issues. But its just a temporary frame to get me going on programming an Arduino to parse GRBL data. Later when I have more money I will buy T-slot 40x40 alu extrusion.

Need some advice on the following.

Motors: seeing I work for a printing company I have access to electronic waste where I can scavenge motors. I have the below which has the same specs as a Nema 17, there's no name on it so it might even be a Nema 17 1.8 degree step.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	466028

The motors you buy from 3d printing stores mostly have 4 wires where as this has 6 because it's a uni-polar and not bi-polar, But from what I can see on google uni polar motors can be used as Bi polar motors by ignoring the center tapped wire from its coil. I measured it and grouped the wires in the photo with insulation tape, across the center tap it measures 8.7 ohms and from the center to each end it measures 4.5 ohms which confirms it's indeed center tapped. But how will I figure out which is A and B. What will happen if i connect it the wrong way around, Will it simply rotate the wrong way round or will it fight directions and end up burning the motor or stepper controller. (stepper Controllers aren't cheap) R100 a pop!

Whats easier, belt drive or using a lead screw ? The one in the picture has a belt drive pulley pressed onto the shaft and really hard to remove. Not sure if it will be able to remove it without damaging the motor, but I might solve it by using a gear puller.

And looking at the frame. It seems easy to convert from a CnC milling machine to a 3D printer. But do you know of a better design keeping in mind that i need it to be easy to build with parts that's easy to come by. I dont want to go through the hassle of having someone water/laser cut parts that I need. Looks like aluminum cost more to machine. Weird its a softer metal ?

Will this suffice to control one motor ?

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	466032

http://www.3dprintingstore.co.za/ele...ith-heat-sink/ It can handle up to 2.2A

But a Nema 17 1.8 draw 1.7A/phase. Does this mean I need a stepper controller of minimum of 3.4A seeing a Bi-Polar has 2 phases ? or does the above mean its capable of driving a motor that wont exceed 2.2A per phase ?

What else should I take note of ?
    I was where you are at in April. Also wanted a CNC but then jumped to 3d printing.
    This weekend I finally got my print settings 100% on the money!
    I will share my accumilated info I gathers I've time...
    Will go search and share.
    Last edited by Karoo Klong; 2017/10/30 at 10:36 PM.

I see your location is Montano.

Where is that - province, city , superb.

Please answer, I have a real reason for the question.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I see your location is Montano.

Where is that - province, city , superb.

Please answer, I have a real reason for the question.
    You got me, for a moment there i thought i spelled my location wrong :-), montano sounds like an exotic place to what montana is.

Montana is a suburb in Northen pta. Zambezi kolonade mall area. Why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Karoo Klong View Post
    I was where you are at in April. Also wanted a CNC but then jumped to 3d printing.
    This weekend I finally got my print settings 100% in the money!
    I will share my accumilated info I gathers I've time...
    Will go search and share.
    Please do! Im interested.
    Last edited by SBSP; 2017/10/30 at 10:27 PM.

I know the feeling..! It can become an addiction quite quickly ! I've build a few 3d printers and although its tempting to start from scratch, a kit will be easier to start with.
    Nema 17 motors are mostly used, and the stepper driver in your pict will suffice, just remember to adjust it correctly when first used.
    Normally belt drive are used for the x and y axis, while leadscrews are used for the z axis.
    There really are a lot of small details, too much to mention, but for me the build proccess is the most fun.. its amazing to see your monster come to life ! 😂
    Shout if you need help, I dont know everything, but thats half the fun !
    Francois

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Optimus-Prime For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Im sure there are too many things to mention.

Is it safe to assume that a stepper can return exactly to the same point from where it left off ? Do belt driven cnc machines in general have stop switches to prevent it's carridge from crashing by going too far off course ?

CNC machinesgenerally do not have endstops, while 3d printers need endstops because they start from a very specific point above the bed, as little as 0.2mm above the bed. The stepper motor will return to exactly the same position it started from, thats were the 1/16 or 1/32 stepper driver comes in ! Every "step" wil turn the motor 1.8 or 0.9 degrees, depending what motors you have. You can read about Reprap, Repetier software, and ramps 1.4 etc...lots of info ! 😀

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Optimus-Prime For This Useful Post:

Like you I also started out with the idea of wanting a CNC mill. I made one out of three cd roms and a CNC shield paired with Arduino. You are lucky to get stepper motors. I searched all over to reclaim old printer parts. I eventually played with scanners. In my search for someone to print some parts for my scanner based CNC I came across a 3d printer for sale. It was in a sorry state and I had to rebuild it completely. That was in April 2017. I soon learned the advantages of 3D printing over CNC.

I have a RepRapPro Ormerod 1 printer.

Here are some pictures of how I Frankensteined it.

I have done away with most of the flimsy PLA parts and made my own out of aluminium and printed replacement parts in ABS. Printing in ABS is not easy! I also improved the power supply and increased the voltage in order to achieve maximum heated bed warmup time and stability.

There are literally a milion questions my friend and best is to start at one point.

I have found the best advice and tips from Tom Sanladerer on Youtube

Since the Prusa is a RepRap printer, it's design is freely available and Tom has made a step by step video in which he built a replica of the Prusa i3 Mk2. Including all parts needed with links and descryptions. He called it the Dolly. (Dolly the sheep clone)
    Look at this first.
    Dolly: The Prusa i3 MK2 clone: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...w7AFIHQiuKbSKZ

Jules Gilson further built on Tom's handywork and improved by adding a bit more quality. Since Tom's aim was to build the cheapest i3 clone ever.

When you are done with Tom Sanladerer's videos, continue to here.
    But you will need the background from Tom for this first.
    https://youtu.be/lz9LnVQEomw

I still would like to go the Prusa i3 route. If you also do, look at these Prusa i3 Upgrades: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...w5W8Lj5Axm3n4D

I them stumbled upon HyperCube. It's way more stable and much MUCH faster! Also you can transplant your Prusa i3 over to it.
    New 3D Printer Build: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...fe9rtiwvvRGCzw

Go check these out.

I also look to Angus from Makers Muse as a great inspiration and tips!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMakersMuse

If you still want to go and build a propper CNC, look to this.
    CNC Router Build: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...63A8D535238656

I see he also started a smaller CNC build!
    Mini CNC Build: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...brXEypmUwLNt7r

I hope these help.
    Oh and remember, Don't get sidetracked!
    Try to follow the order I shared these for you.

Good luck.
    I hope your wife supports you in your hobby like mine does!
    Last edited by Karoo Klong; 2017/10/30 at 11:32 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Karoo Klong For This Useful Post:

You got me, for a moment there i thought i spelled my location wrong :-), montano sounds like an exotic place to what montana is.

Montana is a suburb in Northen pta. Zambezi kolonade mall area. Why do you ask?

Please do! Im interested.
    Well you are in luck. Just so happens that there is a very active club in Pretoria. They do club projects and buy ins and share ideas and help each other.

You can contact them here

https://sites.google.com/site/sacncclub/home
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Well you are in luck. Just so happens that there is a very active club in Pretoria. They do club projects and buy ins and share ideas and help each other.

You can contact them here

https://sites.google.com/site/sacncclub/home
    That's great. Thanks for the link

I have built around 5 DIY 3D printers and 1x DIY CNC. Only 2x Printers and 1x CNC, sold the rest.
    I put kits together and sell them as a little sideline thing.

The stepper motors you have will work fine if you ignore the center tap on both coils.
    Check the following website for some nice ideas on 3d printers and CNC.
    www.vicious1.com

Belt drive for X and Y, lead screw for Z is the most common and works very easy.

I am in Centurion if you want to pick my brain and have a look at some different designs

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Takashi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    I have built around 5 DIY 3D printers and 1x DIY CNC. Only 2x Printers and 1x CNC, sold the rest.

The stepper motors you have will work fine if you ignore the center tap on both coils.
    www.vicious1.com

Belt drive for X and Y, lead screw for Z is the most common and works very easy.

I am in Centurion if you want to pick my brain and have a look at some different designs
    Interesting - I'm interested in a CNC capable of cutting 13mm MDF.

Maybe PM me some info if you have a kit in the pipeline.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Interesting - I'm interested in a CNC capable of cutting 13mm MDF.

Maybe PM me some info if you have a kit in the pipeline.
    Check out the Stepmores units.

http://www.stepmores.com/

They ain't cheap, but they are good value for money.

They will do it easy with the water cooled spindle.

Hope to order a 900x600 unit next year.
    Last edited by biltong; 2017/10/31 at 04:46 PM.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 TDi - "Tink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post

www.vicious1.com

Share some pictures of the five you built please.

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    Check out the Stepmores units.

http://www.stepmores.com/

They ain't cheap, but they are good value for money.

They will do it easy with the water cooled spindle.

Hope to order a 900x600 unit next year.
    I think we are on different planets.

I'm looking at home assembled, table top DIY machines in the R10K bracket.

Something that will do 1 hour of work a week, and use a small commercial (<R2K Makita etc) router as the cutter.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Something that will do 1 hour of work a week, and use a small commercial (<r2k makita="" etc)="" router="" as="" the="" cutter.[="" quote]
    This is just just outside of your budget.
    http://www.3dprintingstore.co.za/cnc...c-machine-kit/

Comes in pieces you have to assemble.

</r2k>
    Last edited by SBSP; 2017/10/31 at 08:24 PM.

I feel dirty!

My wife doesn't know yet! She already asked why am I so quiet
    This better works out. First it will be a CNC engraver then later I will disassemble and build a 3D printer with the parts I already have using 40x40 t-slots
    The 20x20 slots I will donate to my dad he's also interested in building something like this.

Bought from http://www.3dprintingstore.co.za
    I visited their shop the past saturday. They are very helpful people. I like the fact that they printed their company logo.

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	111 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	466102
    Last edited by SBSP; 2017/10/31 at 08:37 PM.

This is just just outside of your budget.
    http://www.3dprintingstore.co.za/cnc...c-machine-kit/

Comes in pieces you have to assemble.

</r2k>
    Thanks, that is exactly the one I have been mulling over.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Something that will do 1 hour of work a week, and use a small commercial (<R2K Makita etc) router as the cutter.

Well, with all the time on your hands, you really can build it yourself. CNC machines are very simple.

If you are interested in any kind of accuracy, then you do need a stiff frame and the sub R 10 000 machines simply cannot give that to you. They flex too much.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 TDi - "Tink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

I received all of my goodies!
    I now have all the stuff I need to get going on the X/Y-ax. Will focus on the z-ax later.

Name:	parts.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	466234

Unfortunately I received M4 T-Nuts with M5 T-Nut Screws

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast