Suspension Atlantis broke my Jeep

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Atlantis broke my Jeep

We went to Atlantis this weekend and ended up doing some stupid but lots of fun jumping. One of the dunes had an unexpected drop on the other side (we did scout it before), and I slammed my front into the sand - I don't think we hit it more than 45 degrees, but it must have been pretty close judging by the impact zones.

Before we went, I knew that my front left coil had collapsed. It probably wasn't the smartest thing to jump with a car that is already broken, but Atlantis gets to you in that way

The damage that I suspect:
    The car came down on the front left, which slammed the wheel into the body:

This in turn knocked the whole front-side panel:

Which in turn also knocked the door out of place. While this happened, the car did a little "folding in on itself" and creased the roof a bit as you can see in this pic (the door is entirely closed here):

Somehow my rear window also managed to pop out - it's nothing major, I could probably fit it back in myself, but it's quite scary to think that it happened.

The front left shock absorber is not only entirely out of its boots, but it is also entirely detached from the body, i.e. moving around freely inside, only the bottom part is fixed to the car:

this is what it should look like, on the right hand side:

If you take a look at the car from below in front, it does look like there are some slight bends in some of the parts - it looks like the steering column might have taken a bit of a knock as well. You can see some of the joints look like they are a little bit loose or sideways:

Here is a pic of the scene of the crime right afterwards:

And here is us jumping about 8 meters, which caused us to start jumping a little bit more!

This is the distance that we covered with the jump that broke everything:

It's difficult to see scale, but you can only imagine

To get a look at all the images check it out here: http://picasaweb.google.com/unodewaal/OffroadTrips

What I'm doing now is getting some quotes for the suspension. I was originally looking to upgrade the car in anycase, looking to fit either the Ironman, OME or Rubicon express lift kits. All of those are a bit on the expensive side (costing from R11k to R15k) so at the moment I might just settle with my tail between my legs and go for new coils and shock absorbers. The stock ones will set me back about R2000 (for the coil and shock for one side) which is a bit better. Plus I can only get the front done - with all the other kits I need to get all 4 wheels done. It suits my budget a bit better at the moment. I'm looking at importing some stuff via Quadratec - it's already almost 50% of the stock parts. Bargain!

Does anyone have any advice that they can give? Except for "use the car for driving not flying" as I've learnt that one.

Oh no, Atlantis didn't break your Jeep, that was all your own fault

haha true, I shouldn't try the blame game here ey

Quote Originally Posted by unodewaal View Post
    Does anyone have any advice that they can give?
    If you insist that flying is a good idea I think you've got the wrong hobby
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Beans Guest

Oh no, Atlantis didn't break your Jeep, that was all your own fault

TRUE

and this happened between 12h00 and 14h00 when the sun is directly overhead.

Why would someone do that with your car? Was Charles Glass with
    By the looks of the rooflining and window that car might be bend.

Sell the car and say it newer went offroad. Was driven by an old lady
    Land Cruiser 79, V8
    1952 CJB3 Willys Jeep.
    Mercedes C Class
    LandCruiser VX 80 Turbo

Shoo, now thats not something you see everyday!

I also think that car might be bent now, I would reccommend selling it, and buying a normal car and a motocross bike for the jumping.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Now "jumping"s the last thing I'd try with any vehicle. Somewhere in the back of my mind I hear a faint little voice..... "as slow as possible, as fast as needed...".

Yeah I think it's probably because I haven't been on my mountainbike for a while. Starting getting withdrawal symptoms!

We did scout the dune before, so we expected that it was flat on the other side, I was just a bit over eager with the right foot and didn't spot the decline. I suppose in my over eager state some parts misfired inside

I don't think the car is bent, but I do need to check out the panels and door.

I don't think the car is bent, but I do need to check out the panels and door.
    Don't kid yourself bud, that chassis is bent just behind the b-pillar. You can see this by the wrinkles on the roof and the back door not being able to close
    Last edited by SimonB; 2009/01/13 at 10:59 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    "Anybody can do just about anything with himself that he really wants to and makes up his mind to do.
    We are all capable of greater things than we realize"
    Norman Vincent Peale
    [SIGPIC]

Holy [email protected]!!!

The offer of the stock parts still stands, but i tend to agree... get the chassis and the front & rear axles checked out by a professional first before you spend any more money.

Insurance wrote off Jeepster's XJ for less damage than that.

EDIT: in fact, I can guarantee that the front axle is bent.
    Last edited by charlatan; 2009/01/13 at 11:25 AM.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0
    "The grey shoe". EFS Suspension | JK rims coming soon...
    2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport
    Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Lift Kit | Rancho RS99009 / RS 99116 shocks | Custom Hack'nTap SYE + Double Cardan Driveshaft | RE Quick Disconnects | Unichip (164kW) | 31" Kumho KL71

Thanks guys. I'm taking it to the Car Shop a bit later today to have it checked out.

The rear door does close, it's the front left that doesn't and that's because the panel knocked the door out of its hinges.

The rear window popped out, which could mean that the chassis is bent. But yeah, I'll get it checked out properly.

4ePajero Guest

For the sake of all the other people with the same insurance company, I hope they don't write it off.

Surely you don't expect anybody but yourself to pay your "school fees"?

Well I hope it isn't a write-off in general!

Uno, that's quite a bit of damage you have there

I agree with Charl, chances are your front axle will be bent - my suspension bottomed out once when I approached a dune and my camber was out afterwards. If not too far, you can get it back in spec with offset ball joints, but everything should become clear once you put it on a wheel alignment machine - it should show if your body twisted as well (which it looks like it did!).

Hope to still see you at the Cape XJ meet...

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Limited (totally original for now)

iesh!!! well if you want stock springs and of your control arms are bent i have a set... I think, cannot remeber maybe I gave those to Gorman... I also have some stock shocks although one has been wrecked...

Well I hope you chassis is OK, but I think you might have alot of undiscovered damage there...
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

thanks guys. I'll wait to see what the Car Shop says. Does anyone recommend another place to ask for a report?

Car Shop should be fine for a report... just don't let them do any work!

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0
    "The grey shoe". EFS Suspension | JK rims coming soon...
    2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport
    Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Lift Kit | Rancho RS99009 / RS 99116 shocks | Custom Hack'nTap SYE + Double Cardan Driveshaft | RE Quick Disconnects | Unichip (164kW) | 31" Kumho KL71

Atlantis is a dangerous place to drive if you dont follow the basics. Hope you get the Jeep sorted. The thing looks a bit out of shape now. You should go with more experienced drivers to see what lines and techniques they use.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    ... I think, cannot remeber maybe I gave those to Gorman... I also have some stock shocks although one has been wrecked...
    (
    Biggles, yes you gave me your old control arms, but I still have them and I have my old upper and lower ones as well, so Uno if you need them, just shout, you can have them...

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Limited (totally original for now)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast