Trailer Cuff feedback

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Trailer Cuff feedback

Well, it certainly helps to be in the same neck of the woods as Ian during the day .

This thread follows on THIS one Ian started earlier this week while looking for a few volunteers to test the Trailer Cuff.

I've looked at various options in the past to secure my Bush Lapa while it is stored under cover at home. At this stage I have no walls or gates protecting it, only alarm sensors. What caught my attention with this setup, was the fact that it can be used for security when the BL is in storage at home as well as while hitched to the tow vehicle. I've never really thought about the security aspect while hitched to the 4x4. I suppose one can never be too careful these days. All it takes is a few seconds to destroy your holiday....be it theft or accidental unhitching of the trailer.

It was great to meet you Ian and even though the YouTube clip is fairly detailed, the demo you did for me made it clear how easy it is to use....or maybe I should save that feedback until after I attached it to the coupler tonight . The demo also made it clear that the Trailer Cuff will not restrict movement between the coupler an tow ball in any way. This was a concern since we do some hectic terrain sometimes.

As mentioned on Ian's other thread, my next weekend trip will only be 17 - 19 Nov. I will certainly be back with some more feedback then. Hopefully some of the other participants can post some feedback before then .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2017/10/27 at 05:36 PM.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Default Re: Trailer Cuff feedback

Michael I used a Trailer Cuff during my recent trip to Botswana and Namibia (belongs to my brother - I borrowed it). Must say I only had positive experience with it. The peace of mind when you stop somewhere and have to leave your rig for a few minutes, is wonderful. The same apply when towing. I did not experience any restriction in movement as the trailer cuff fits easy and snugly on the hitch.
    I will surely recommend it. Saying that - hmm maybe I must contact Ian and volunteer to further test his units
    Uys Snyders

Trailblazer 2.8DuraMax
    Bushlapa Vlooi B237

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uys Snyders For This Useful Post:

Ha Ha...lekker man Uys . Great to get this feedback from you. That already says a lot!
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    Ha Ha...lekker man Uys . Great to get this feedback from you. That already says a lot!
    I use mine as a safety chain when towing my trailer that does not have a chain. Feel safer that way and storing nylon ball in car, i can later lock trailer if necessary
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Wow, what a non event . Ian, I think the tip you gave me about the 3 links on the one side and the 4 links on the other for my particular coupler on the Bush Lapa, made all the difference. I suspect the part of getting it to fit perfect on various makes of couplers, can take a minute or 2 to figure out. Once you have that sorted it is literally a 5 second job. Now I can sleep easy knowing my van is safe . I look forward to the next stage of the test when towing the BL up the mountain to the 4x4 camp in November.

EDIT - Ha ha....just discovered the manual and I see the tips you gave me is in there. You know men don't do manuals...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC1.jpg 
Views:	1501 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	465697   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC2.jpg 
Views:	865 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	465698  
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2017/10/27 at 05:41 PM.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

I have had a Trailer Cuff for about 5 months, but have only used it as security when at home, but I will probably take it with me to EC & KZN next month for security in some of the campsites.

I am inclined to think I would rather use a shackle to secure it when towing. The Excel lock is rather heavy to be bouncing around on the coupling and I am also concerned about dust in the lock as we do a lot of gravel road travel.

Looking forward to the results of the tests.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

I have a trailer cuff on my trailers at my factory. Today while walking around I noticed the coupling was upside down. On inspecting I noticed someone had tried to break it open. The lock is damaged but I would rather replace the lock than a trailer. Excellent product!

Trailer cuff 1 - Midnight shopper 0
    Last edited by Kirk; 2017/10/28 at 06:02 PM.
    2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
    2004 Defender 110 Td5 Double Cab - Extras ... too many
    1999 Defender 110 2.8i Pick Up
    2007 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab

2015 Range Rover Evoque Si4
    2014 BMW 320i M Sport - Swambo's - Sold

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kirk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I have a trailer cuff on my trailers at my factory. Today while walking around I noticed the coupling was upside down. On inspecting I noticed someone had tried to break it open. The lock is damaged but I would rather replace the lock than a trailer. Excellent product!

Trailer cuff 1 - Midnight shopper 0

Hi Kirk,

Nice to get that feedback. Here is another testimony by Wolfgang Breidert:

"I bought the cuff before we went on a trip to zambia; Zimbabwe and Botswana. It was one of the best investments. In Zim. they tried to steal our caravan! However due to the Cuff they couldn't. We were very lucky and I can recommend this gadget to anybody that wants his trailer safe and secure."

I bought the Trailer Cuff for two reasons.
    I have an open handle trailer coupler and the Trailer Cuff helps with peace of mind when going through rough terrain.
    Secondly for security reasons when sleeping over at a guesthouse or alternative accommodation. You don't have to worry all night about the safety of your trailer.
    I used it recently on my Skipper Ranger trailer through Kgalagadi, Namibia and Richtersveld.
    Hitched and unhitched the trailer 14 times during this trip and used the Trailer Cuff everytime. Easy to use and will now not go anywhere without it

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jorrie5 For This Useful Post:

Kooskop,if you do not mind me jumping in on this thread as we go.

First impressions:

Mine just arrived via courier, if you were any man that got one of these as a present, it would seem like Christmas.

My first impression was caught by the packaging. you buy some goods today and the packaging is a disaster, not so this product. The trailer cuff and accessories are all neat and tidy on the display board and the information relating to the product is easy to read and more importantly easy to understand. The items are secure and easily identifiable. It took a little while to cut off all the cable ties but in doing so, you get to see each item and see what it is for. Easy to see what you need to do with each item.

So off I went to the trailer. I had watched the vids a week or two ago, so just went off memory and my analytical and problem solving brain. Disappointed really. No problem to solve, just looking at it you can see what needs to be done and I locked that ball in first time. I did not get dirty (important that) I did not nip my fingers (really important) Swambo said "is that it, they can't nick the trailer now" (very important) so we came back into the office and made some coffee and wrote this part 1.

later I am going to get some tools and see what damage I can do.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Kooskop,if you do not mind me jumping in on this thread as we go.

Of course not, that is what this thread is for .
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

This product does look like is a must for any trailer, will be getting one.

PS. Ian I think we might of met in Stillbaai Engen garage maybe a year or so, you where showing me the product and i was more concerned about going surfing, any event i will be placing my order for one : )
    Hilux 2700i s/c 4X4 with a few extras ...............
    Cape Town

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ismail For This Useful Post:

Thanks Ian,
    Fitted mine yesterday to the trailer - seems pretty much secure to me and it was easy to see what needed to be done.
    Easy to fit and remove.
    I notice that you differentiate between the "normal" cuff and the "Plus" which is for 4x4 offroad use.
    What is the difference between the two?
    We do 4x4 offroad as well and I just want to be sure that there will be no problem due to that. (You supplied the "normal" one to me for testing.)
    All looking good so far.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Where can I get the price for the Trailer Cuff?

Here is the link to the member special:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...g-for-members!

Thanks,

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Thanks Ian,
    Fitted mine yesterday to the trailer - seems pretty much secure to me and it was easy to see what needed to be done.
    Easy to fit and remove.
    I notice that you differentiate between the "normal" cuff and the "Plus" which is for 4x4 offroad use.
    What is the difference between the two?
    We do 4x4 offroad as well and I just want to be sure that there will be no problem due to that. (You supplied the "normal" one to me for testing.)
    All looking good so far.

Hi Peter,

I thought that it would be interesting for you to test the normal Trailer Cuff with your smaller Glider trailer in 4x4 offroad conditions and get your feedback on that. If you do go through extreme flex movements with the trailer check to see whether everything is ok, but I do not expect any issues unless you're going through a 4x4 obstacle course of sorts As it is a "controlled test" by an "informed user" of the forum it will be interesting to hear how the Trailer Cuff model performs in 4x4 offroad conditions on a small trailer. I would not recommend the Trailer Cuff model for these conditions for any larger trailer than your Glider size trailer.

The difference between the two models is explained in the following video:

It may be worthwhile to post a photo of your trailer for other member's benefit. Looking forward to hear your feedback.

Thanks,

Ian

In Central Botswana April 2017.
    The modified Glider trailer fitted with Howling Moon RTT behind the "vintage" Suuz.
    Pics a s requested by Ian.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5390.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	466400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5393.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	466401  
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Part one of feedback
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Great feedback! I took the liberty of pasting the content of your PDF document:

Trailer cuff

The theft attempt. Part one

Being an insurance broker, there is always an interest in products that reduce the risk of loss of property. A trailer cuff was sent to me for evaluation and in the spirit of doing a good job, I am prepared to break it if needs be.

First off, the materials. I don't know the grades of steel used I just know what is in my hands. A chain, a locking mechanism, a lock and a plastic trailer coupler ball.

OK, so test one, can I take it apart, it has a nut and a bolt. I take a spanner, a socket and a torque wrench to see if I can wrestle this thing open. I also put a time limit of five minutes on this no thief will take this much time unless the have all day or all night to work on it.

Five minutes later and all I had was some skinned knuckles and sweaty palms. Nothing moves the nut and bolt and while it is in place it moves around all over the place making it awkward to position tools.

Plus one for the nut and bolt.

Next the chain. Each link is welded, on inspection I could find no fault or weak area I could attack. A cold chisel and a hammer was utilised. This did nothing other than make a few marks. Again, this was done off the vehicle as doing it while attached would just damage parts of the trailer.

The lock. Here comes that cold chisel again, well that could not get a grip anywhere, so the screwdriver was the next to have a go. This one broke, I smashed the plastic handle when I hit it, just as well I had gloves on.

The steel bar. Once this has been slipped through the links of the chain, it becomes difficult for any tool to get a grip, putting a steel shaft through the gap did nothing to make it move, the idea was to twist it off, but it resisted every attempt, there would need to be some serious force applied, some thing like the jaws of life perhaps to get that thing to even bend.

The plates, once installed there is really no where to attack this, you can't get anything on to grip it. Pliers are just not strong enough, a monkey wrench is just too big and awkward and anything smaller is not strong enough.

OK ,the materials are up to the job. How can I figure to get it off. There is a couple of possibilities when the ball is installed in the coupler. You can break the coupler to free the chain but then you can't hook up to tow away. You can dismantle the whole coupler assembly but all of this takes time and is not your average thieves MO.

You can take a drill to the ball from underneath and try to get it out a piece at a time, again being very time consuming.

In summary it's a real hard job that could only be tackled with lot's of time on hand, the correct tools and even the need for power tools.

Part two will look at the security aspect of when it is fitted.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

No problem at all, this is the PC version. The non PC version is that this is a real B*&^ch to get off and I can't see any would be thief taking the amount of time. It would need unlimited time to even tackle the job. I was trying hard not to get frustrated with the bloody thing.

BMW R1200R

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast