Trailer Cuff feedback - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Trailer Cuff feedback

Considering buying a trailer cuff.

Two questions though:

1. Is it not easy for a thief to simply undo the allen key nut/bolt on the one side?
    2. Is that same allen key nut/bolt not way too weak to hold the trailer in place if it jumped off the tow ball abruptly, or is it designed to be a weak spot so that the trailer detaches form the vehicle preventing a roll-over?
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    Considering buying a trailer cuff.

Two questions though:

1. Is it not easy for a thief to simply undo the allen key nut/bolt on the one side?
    2. Is that same allen key nut/bolt not way too weak to hold the trailer in place if it jumped off the tow ball abruptly, or is it designed to be a weak spot so that the trailer detaches form the vehicle preventing a roll-over?

Hi Kortgat,

1. it is a 10mm stainless steel nut and bolt that is tig welded together so impossible to undo. The allen key strips when tried.

2. No, the bolt & nut is pretty strong and I've seen the plates bending with the nut & bolt holding. The rounded shape of the allen key bolt allows for more freedom of movement and play of the Trailer Cuff and trailer coupler when it moves at all funny angles on the tow ball.

The allen key does theoretically provide an entry point for a 10 mm drill bit in case you lost all your keys or left them at home. By drilling the bolt out (with a fair amount of effort) you will save some money by not having to replace the padlock or the chain I don't know of anybody that have done so yet.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian Coetsee For This Useful Post:

When I was sent mine on test, I tried all ways to figure out how to get that nut and bolt off. Hand tools will not do the job. Not even big monkey wrench. I have the skinned knuckles to prove it. I even hit it with a cold chisel and hammer, nothing.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    When I was sent mine on test, I tried all ways to figure out how to get that nut and bolt off. Hand tools will not do the job. Not even big monkey wrench. I have the skinned knuckles to prove it. I even hit it with a cold chisel and hammer, nothing.
    Hi Stranger,

I completely forgot about that. Humble apologies.

Give it a go with some power tools and give us some feedback on that. I will send you a replacement unit

Thanks,

Ian

Great feedback, thank you. As itís soo strong, that then raises the question around the trailer not being able to detach in a roll-over. Is that an issue or not?

* consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

It's been discussed before but my thoughts are that if the trailer is under 750kg then you may want it to stay attached. Over 750kg and you are going to have a braked trailer and possibly a breakaway cable where it would be better if it did detach.

I use my trailer cuff for security at home and when the trailer is parked on site, also when I travel. If I had a larger trailer I would be selective as to it's use. Probably not for highway travelling and probably yes for slow off road. Great when the product actually does what it says on the box and you can fit or remove literally in seconds.

I feel very comfortable when mine has it fitted when parked.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

It's been discussed before but my thoughts are that if the trailer is under 750kg then you may want it to stay attached. Over 750kg and you are going to have a braked trailer and possibly a breakaway cable where it would be better if it did detach.

I use my trailer cuff for security at home and when the trailer is parked on site, also when I travel. If I had a larger trailer I would be selective as to it's use. Probably not for highway travelling and probably yes for slow off road. Great when the product actually does what it says on the box and you can fit or remove literally in seconds.

I feel very comfortable when mine has it fitted when parked.
    Thank you makes sense.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kortgat For This Useful Post:

I have one question on the Cuff,Will the Cuff fit on the type of this coupler
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Last edited by Stranger; 2019/07/15 at 12:02 PM.

BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Rustic Camp View Post
    I have one question on the Cuff,Will the Cuff fit on the type of this coupler
    I don't see any reason for it not to ... ?

Regarding the separate issue (while online here and now - so OT, yes.)
    Many folk seem to be concerned about the possibility (real) that the trailer or caravan would not separate from the towing vehicles in an accident situation.

Some years ago I was towing a (previous) trailer from Pinetown KZN up to Bots and along the Platinum Highway - at that time with my Ford Ranchero - so doing full highway speed.

One of the heavily loaded trailer wheels seized (no warning). Both the Ranchero and the trailer were heavily loaded since we were on a 3+ week overland trip at the time.

Thanks to the pendulum (centrifugal force?) effect of the trailer and vehicle spinning across the double highway divider and ending up off-road in a ditch on the other side of the highway (facing back from our direction of travel):

1. Neither the trailer, nor the Ranchero rolled.
    2. Damage was limited to the trailer hitting both sides of the Ranchero as it swept from side to side - so more than 180 degrees swing I assume?
    3. The Ranchero's tail lights and indicator lights - totally fine - only body damage.
    4. Ranchero needed 4x new rims, Trailer needed new axle, wheels & tyres.

The point is that neither vehicle rolled or took the other one with it. (rolling, that is)

I think (my opinion only) that a trailer remaining attached is much safer in these kind of situations than one careering wildly out of control unhitched and most likely involving many or some other vehicles in the process.

I know that this is a constantly ongoing debate.
    However - I am MUCH happier knowing that my trailer remains connected to my towing vehicle with a trailer cuff than without.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Thank you so much, convinced and ordered one now

Quote Originally Posted by Rustic Camp View Post
    Thank you so much, convinced and ordered one now
    Pleasure, I doubt you will be disappointed. Very decent bit of kit

BMW R1200R

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Pleasure, I doubt you will be disappointed. Very decent bit of kit
    +1
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3