Absence of Triumph Adventure Bikes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Absence of Triumph Adventure Bikes

Hi to the bikers
    I've been interested in getting a Triumph Tiger 800XCX with which to do adventure touring, but I don't see many (if any) photos or trip reports where these bikes, or any other Triumphs feature. Why ?
    I've also visited the Wilddog.co.za website often and also here don't see or read about Triumphs.

Default Re: Absence of Triumph Adventure Bikes

Chat to the other mad Madeiran on the forum, Gualter.
    "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold."

Quote Originally Posted by wilfwalk View Post
    Hi to the bikers
    I've been interested in getting a Triumph Tiger 800XCX with which to do adventure touring, but I don't see many (if any) photos or trip reports where these bikes, or any other Triumphs feature. Why ?
    I've also visited the Wilddog.co.za website often and also here don't see or read about Triumphs.
    Rather get the KTM 1090! Trust me ... you would want to do that.
    2010 DISCO 4 TDV6 SE
    2000 FORD BANTAM 1600i
    2013 KTM RC8R Platbaaik
    2014 KTM 1190 R
    2017 KTM 350 XCF
    2017 KTM 300 XCW Roof baaik

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OFFROAD FANATICS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OFFROAD FANATICS View Post
    Rather get the KTM 1090! Trust me ... you would want to do that.
    I'm not physically big and also not into these massive bikes that I wouldn't be able to handle properly. So the Triumph is about the upper limit in terms of size and weight. I've sat on one with its lowered seat and I seen that its the limit for me.

I was once advised that "if you can't pick it up, don't buy it" - not that I could pick up a 200+kg Triumph anyway

a) you'll struggle to buy one new until another importer has been announced.
    b) offroad / gravel the KTM 1090 and Honda Africa Twin are, by all accounts, superior.

It's a good bike, though, and I'm also surprised by the lack of adventure riders on them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

How good is the F800GS?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    How good is the F800GS?
    Good bikes. Enjoyed mine and traveled quite a bit with it. Had 110 000km on when I sold it.
    Does need a bit better suspension, especially in front.
    But easy to ride, light enough etc.

The 800 sized class makes for good DS bikes
    Yamaha will soon launch a 700 odd cc model, KTM is bringing out a smaller Adventure etc
    Some car, some bike and two legs

Had the 800XC did about 4000KM on it ,great bike but I tired with the "not starting for no reason" .Its fine for one up but two up some luggage in the mountain passes.... not so good. I sold it and got the KTM 1050.Not even close to the 1090 but man what a bike .Doesn't feel much of a difference in size between the 800 xc and the 1050.

I know that on paper the 800 and the 1050 is very close in power output but whats hitting the road is totally a different story
    Infinity QX70 3.0D GT
    Ford Ranger 3.2 Wildtrak
    Vw Amarok 120kw
    Jurgens Exclusive
    Triumph Explorer 1200

I heard from an existing Triumph owner that they have exited SA, and are negotiating for a new distributor to take over. Prices have dropped considerably and resale on 2nd hand bikes will be terrible!

Need to take this into account when it comes to service and spares in the future. Stick to BMW hold their value and best ride by far ( I am as you can see biased )

Roy

Beneath every ‘Majestic Oak’ lies a ‘Tuff Nut’ that refused to give up!!

Daily Drive : 2010 Discovery 4 SE
    Weekends: 2003 BMW K1200GT

12. The Following User Says Thank You to royjacobs For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hcs View Post
    Yamaha will soon launch a 700 odd cc model, KTM is bringing out a smaller Adventure etc
    good to know

I don't like huge barge bikes, and it seems they just seem to get fatter and fatter every year.

Yamaha lost a lot of market share when they dropped the XT600 midrange bikes.
    Percivamus

good to know

I don't like huge barge bikes, and it seems they just seem to get fatter and fatter every year.

Yamaha lost a lot of market share when they dropped the XT600 midrange bikes.
    The Yamaha XT660Z is the same weight as the F800GS and a lot less power.
    But yeah KTM bringing out the 790 twin as well as Yamaha with a new 700. Also BMW soontoe release the new F890GS. (F850/F900GS)
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

I cant say on the smaller bikes, but in the bigger flagship models, my Triumph fan riding buddy switched to the ADV this year after our annual Sabie trip.

Just a pity the 800's don't come with shaft drive, would consider it if it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    The Yamaha XT660Z is the same weight as the F800GS and a lot less power.
    But yeah KTM bringing out the 790 twin as well as Yamaha with a new 700. Also BMW soontoe release the new F890GS. (F850/F900GS)
    KTM 1090 = 230kg?

And that's a SLIM version of a large adventure bike.

BMW 1200GS = 240kg wet?
    Honda VFR800 = 250kg wet?
    Same for the Africa Twin?

XT660 is 186kg wet
    GS800 is 207kg wet

I'm not interested in a quarter-ton barge.

A new gen KTM690? Absolutely. 150kg wet. THAT is a bike.
    Percivamus

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

KTM 1090 = 230kg?

BMW 1200GS = 240kg wet?

XT660 is 186kg wet
    GS800 is 207kg wet

KTM 1090 is wet weight with 23l of fuel. The weight is best in class and it feels (is) lighter than the 800 class bikes even. The Africa Twin also carries it's weight very well and feels like a much lighter bike. If someones riding is going to include any sort of long distance or two up riding, those would be my top two picks. I have a 690 and travelling on it can be torture and unless you ride serious tech, it's overkill. Still, I wouldn't trade my 690 for anything but I have a few bikes so I'm covered for most types of riding.

EICMA is next month. I'd hold off until then before making a choice on a bike.
    Last edited by Dwerg; 2017/10/27 at 07:24 AM.

KTM 1090 = 230kg?

BMW 1200GS = 240kg wet?

XT660 is 186kg wet
    GS800 is 207kg wet

Your XT660 wet weight is probably the normal R version. The XT660Z is closer to the 800GS in wet weight
    The standard Africa Twin, KTM 990 etc are all around the 230kgs mark. Give or take a few.
    Mine is a tad heavier with the extra fuel tanks added as well.
    Some car, some bike and two legs

Stuff that, I'm too much of a pansy for 250kg.
    Percivamus

Thanks for all the comments guys. With some new models coming into the market, maybe wait and see is my best option at this stage. I definitely won't buy a bike the size of a "barge" as mentioned earlier .

Have a good weekend all, & wear black on Monday !Please.

www.myfiets.co.za

Dis gratis, laai die laaste een af. Nuus oor Triumph ens
    Dirk
    Member - 4x4 Community
    Member - 4x4 Action Group (0044)
    Member - V Owners Group (VOG 081)
    Member - patrol4x4 forum

Quote Originally Posted by wilfwalk View Post
    Hi to the bikers
    probably because they are out riding....

I have met 2 guys who have done round the world trips on 800XCs and know of a third, just recently I met a group of guys who had just ridden down through Africa from Oman, most of them on 800s or Explorers.

This weekend I met a group of Gauteng bikers in Greytown, 2x 800XCXs, an Explorer, an African twin, a GS and a Husqvarna 701, they were heading back to jhb taking all the back roads.

Personally, i have ridden a chunk of the gravel roads around Memel on an 800XCX and some other gravel as well and have done a reasonable amount of tar touring on all the adventure models, the 800, the 1050 and the 1200. I estimate I have done about 100k km in the past 4 years on bikes and probably 95% has been on a Triumph of some sort.

Gualter was mentioned, he has a Tiger 800XRX an has done a good number of iron butt rides on it apart from daily commutes.

I have travelled 1 up, 2 up and 2up with luggage, anything from a short breakfast run to track days, to a 5 day ride and in all weather conditions and I have lead probably 50 Triumph based rides with anything up to 55 bikes at a time over the past few years, In August I took 38 bikes 1100km around the mountain passes of Mpumalanga, in all of those rides we had 1x 800 break a spring on the gearlever (2 weeks after a road accident that broke the gear lever), an explorer that broke a gearbox and an 800 that took a stone to a radiator. The short point though is that even though I am 120kg I have yet to find a Triumph that lacks enough power to do what i need it to do ( Ok maybe the America cruiser!)

Triumph have not left South Africa, and they won't be leaving. The current change in distrubutor is a knock on effect from the global rebranding and changes that Triumph have been doing, this started here just under a year ago when the first stories of Triumph closing some dealers so they could create "global stores", surfaced, there was a massive backlash from both clients and dealers and KMSA ( the current importer) tried to negotiate a middle ground, that has not worked out and Triumph UK have chosen to appoint a new distributor which should happen around March 2018. as always there are some rumours as to who that might be but nothing concrete.

Our current bike market is in a massive slump, we are down about 30 odd% from last year and that was already about 35% down on 2015, so where we sold some 23000 bikes in '015, we would be lucky to get to 17000 bikes this year, so sales have been down and then the first issue of closing dealerships had quite a sever effect on sales and KMSA eneded up with a warehouse full of stock, year end coming and no distributorship in 6 months, so they had a sale and basically sold out in just a few days.

At the moment there are pretty much no new triumph adventure bikes available, they are sold out, all the existing dealers are still full service agents and parts/accessories are still available. East Coast (Umhlanga) and Fourways (Jhb north) have both closed down completely due to the current market and changes at KMSA (as have a numbe rof other bike shops). KMSA have also said that should a new distibutor not be appointed when their contract ends next year, they will continue to provide service and support until one is, they just won't be brining in any new bikes just yet.

In the very short term during and after the sale, prices on used bikes went down but that is pretty much done now and I am seeing normal prices now and used Triumphs are selling reasonably well. There are however still shops that prey on the people's fears & ignorance and spout a bunch of rubbish and then pay really crappy prices for their bikes.

My advice to you would be to seriously consider the type of riding you want to do and to be clear, offroad and gravel touring are not the same. Probably 85% of all adventure bikes never see a gravel road let alone do any offroad. Once you have an idea of the type of riding, tht will help you narrow down the bike because you have a ton to choose from, some are better at the techinical offroad, some are more general and some are better at general touring.

You need to find a bike that does what YOU need it to do and that fits your budget.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DouglasN For This Useful Post:

Hope to see the ktm 390 adventure and honda 450 rally at eicma. I know there is no 450 yet,but with the recent lightweight interests,we can expect it one day. Ktm will likely debut,hope it's a legit adv.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Freebird For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast