Grand Vitara Wheel advise

Question Grand Vitara Wheel advise

Hello

I need to replace my wheels at some stage soon so I am busy looking for prices and advise. I want to replace the 17" with 16" and then do a 265x70x16. I want to know if there will be any issue with this config? Has anybody done something similar before? Please see attached photos of the rims and tyres that I am looking at. I am Cape Town based so if there are any stores that you guys/girls and recommend let me know.

Regards,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	465428   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	465429  

Default Re: Grand Vitara Wheel advise

Subscribed
    2011 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6, Still Stock. Only upgraded the headlights and fog lights. Osram CBI d2s bulbs, clear lens. With the fog's I retrofitted BMW X5 Led Fogs into the std Suzuki fog lights.

SOLD
    2010 Suzuki Jimny with 215/75 R15 Maxxis Mud's, GIZ fiberglass snorkel, GIZ brake line extenders, GIZ 3" Suspension Kit, Bonnet,Light and Window guard, Bi-Xenon Projector Headlights, Custom Bumper, Front Diff Protector, T-Case Protector, Radial arm cup protectors, Steering Damper and smash and grab.

Quote Originally Posted by MJk_suzuki View Post
    Hello

I need to replace my wheels at some stage soon so I am busy looking for prices and advise. I want to replace the 17" with 16" and then do a 265x70x16. I want to know if there will be any issue with this config? Has anybody done something similar before? Please see attached photos of the rims and tyres that I am looking at. I am Cape Town based so if there are any stores that you guys/girls and recommend let me know.

Regards,
    Jay4 fitted some big tires to his GV a while ago. http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...age2?p=3217256. He had chafing on the body. ***EDIT***Apologies, I see he fitted 255/65/17, which is a bit smaller than 265/70/16 in diameter, so you will probably have clearance issues.

If I recall correctly you have the 2.4. The power loss will be VERY notable!***EDIT***
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SuzukiPiet; 2017/10/25 at 09:38 AM.

Firstly, go look at this post:
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...99#post2635899

265/70 R16 might just fit but expect some rubbing when turning in, HEAVY fuel consumption and if you have the 2.4l some power loss as well. I have 245/70R16 on and the rear is ~2cm away from the body. There was someone (I can't remember the member's name - Jay4 (dankie SP)) who did what you are going to do and wasn't impressed. Although I think he put Maxxis Bghorn's on and the road noise was too much for him...

Maybe do a test fit first and see if there is rubbing when turning full circle and the front wheels are pushed into the wheel well.
    Last edited by Samaya; 2017/10/25 at 09:41 AM.
    2015 Isuzu KB250 D/C 4x4 LE - Mine / 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 Auto - Hers

If you want to go 16 inch, I'd say go for it, but stick to the sizes recommended by Samaya in the New GV repairs, mods thread. The gains of the larger tires will not be worth the compromises in safety, consumption, comfort and power.

The GV wasn't designed for 265 wide tires. You will experience fitment issues, power loss, inaccurate instruments, malfunctioning ABS and traction control.

If you really want a hard core rock crawler, rather sell and buy a wrangler.
    Last edited by SuzukiPiet; 2017/10/25 at 09:45 AM.

Haha when I am a big boy with big boy money in my pocket then I will get a jeep haha thank you for the advise

Quote Originally Posted by Samaya View Post
    Firstly, go look at this post:
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...99#post2635899

265/70 R16 might just fit but expect some rubbing when turning in, HEAVY fuel consumption and if you have the 2.4l some power loss as well. I have 245/70R16 on and the rear is ~2cm away from the body. There was someone (I can't remember the member's name - Jay4 (dankie SP)) who did what you are going to do and wasn't impressed. Although I think he put Maxxis Bghorn's on and the road noise was too much for him...

Maybe do a test fit first and see if there is rubbing when turning full circle and the front wheels are pushed into the wheel well.
    OK so if I look at 235x65x17 based on your post this should be fine? Am I correct in saying that?

Tyre options include the following :

Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA+
    Goodyear Wrangler At Adventure
    Hankook Dynapro Atm RF10
    General Tire Grabber AT
    General Tire Grabber AT3
    Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Any recommendations on these? We have the Pirelli's on our 2006 Kia Sportage and very happy but it's not a off-roader.

What is the difference between the tires that have two model?

General Tire Grabber AT has been replaced by the AT3
    Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA+ has been replaced by the At Adventure

Personally I will never put Scorpions on again as I had a bad experience with them - but this is up to you. I have Grabber AT's on and will replace with the AT3's when the time comes. But also nothing wrong with the Goodyears. The set I had on the Jimny lasted quite a bit.
    2015 Isuzu KB250 D/C 4x4 LE - Mine / 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 Auto - Hers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Samaya For This Useful Post:

Cool thank you

Quote Originally Posted by MJk_suzuki View Post
    Cool thank you
    As a thought, if you are interested, I have a set of 6 Freelander 16" rims & tyres that I used on a Namibia trip (2 tyres are brand new) that I would be willing to swop for the 17" rims - maybe some arrangement can be made if you are interested? Tyres are Dunlop Grand Trek AT3's Pic attached shows the rims (the closest one is the "odd-one-out"

Reason is that I have worked out that I can use the 17" rims more than the 16's that sit in the garage for a year at a time.... I don't do hard-core off-roading, so the 17" will most probably be fine

I also use a 3mm spacer, just in case, for the brake calipers. Never had them touch, but they potentially might if the pads are new. In fact I didn't use the spacers for Namibia, only used them once after I fitted new front pads.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2013 GV called James....
    Wizerd 40mm Lift
    Wizerd Underwear
    FR Slimline Roof-Rack
    FLI Rims & Grandtrek AT3's