D3 Transmission error - Brakelight Switch / Brake light globes ?

Default D3 Transmission error - Brakelight Switch / Brake light globes ?

The new V8 has had a number of the usual "Brake Light switch" suspected errors causing the familiar "transmission / HDC / Lowered suspension" faults and related issues.

I have to date run diagnostics every time after a 3 light transmission error with the IID tool.
    I have already installed 2 new brake-light switches, but errors still happen.
    Also replaced a blown brake light globe some time back.

I have sort of tied is down to possibly a bad globe perhaps ?
    The faults are only triggered when in stop go traffic ( with foot on /off brake pedal for more than 5 minutes)
    No errors triggered on highway driving for the last 1000km
    I have been told that the D3 is not intelligent enough to diagnose a faulty / shorting globe, but the closest point to the rest of the ECU's where faults are triggered in this case is the brake light switch.
    Also faults keep coming back to brake light switch ( The original was replaced as preventative maint. the second one was brand new from LR and I now have another new loan unit.) still faults are triggered with heavy traffic driving
    Possible Rear diff lock motor unlikely as its is not noisy and not reported when faults are triggered ( rear diff lock stuck actuator also a cause of the dreaded transmission errors )

Any thoughts ?

Diagnostic results from the last 3 weeks of faults, all have the same errors :

Engine Petrol

• P0504-64 (68) Brake switch A/B correlation - Algorithm based failure - signal plausibility failure

• P0504-29 (68) Brake switch A/B correlation - General signal failure - signal is invalid

Instrument Pack

• U0132-87 (28) Lost communication with ride level control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message

• U0159-87 (2E) Lost communication with parking assist control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message

Transmission

• U0416-86 (2C) Invalid data received from vehicle dynamics control module - Bus signal/message failure - signal is invalid
    ( on 18-10-2017 07:24:45 at 98956 km )
    2009 D3 V8 SE - Family car, holiday and weekends
    2009 Mahindra Scorpio 2.6 GLX - Mom's Taxi
    2001 Ford Ranger 2.5 D/C - My Car

2007 D3 TDV6 S - Family car, holiday and weekends ( RELUCTANTLY SOLD )

Default Re: D3 Transmission error - Brakelight Switch / Brake light globes ?

2009 V8 HSE
    185 000km

Similar incident but a lot less frequent. almost exactly one year ago I had upon start up an putting the car in reverse the "Transmission Fault."
    Stopped, restarted and never had another problem. suspected dud battery, never replaced or changed, just left it

About six months ago, twice got the "special functions off" in close succession upon start up. usually after having the radio one for a while. suspected dud battery, still didn't replace.

This morning got transmission fault upon start up and putting disco in reverse. Was in Transkei for the past week, arrived back on Sunday evening and started car for first time this morning. Upon switch off and starting no more "transmission fault". Will chuck the Diagnostic on when I get back home on Saturday.

My optimistic diagnosis is battery. Car drives fine and has no other issues.

Last diagnostic about a couple of months ago showed a few errors on the infotainment system, which seems to blip when I crank the engine. Once gain hopefully battery related....

Been at Land Rover twice since first incident of "transmission fault" for services with no reports back. Also had it at ZF for gearbox service.

So hoping mine is caused by battery, will report back.

what system voltage is your iid tool giving you? maybe a dodgy earth connection or dirty battery terminal.

I was actually expecting this error to happen soon on SWAMBOs D3.

Anyway everytime something is replaced, service or repaired I always check the area.

So far the gearbox was serviced, rear brake sensor was replaced and two O2 sensors replaced.

And everytime it get worked on something some connector take a beating and its mounting clip.

After the gearbox service last year I was actually shocked at the state of the cabling and connectors afterwards.
    Cable ties were missing, the main gearbox harness and connector did not look so good.
    The connector mounting was broken.
    Harness was hanging completely loose.
    Same with rear brake sensor when it was replaced.

And I'm pretty convinced if that connector just smell a bit of water it would start getting gearbox comms errors.
    I'm also sure this is why we see so many errors such as this, because the cabling just get abused by mechanics that don't have the correct finesses for these electronic beasts.
    In most cases when a complex connector is disconnected it is either broken, does not seal anymore or not plugged back correctly.

So my diagnosis would be as follows:

1. As said before check earthing on gearbox.
    2. Open all the connectors surrounding the GB and check for corrosion.
    3. Use electrical spray and clean where necessary
    4. Do it your self, don't trust a workshop to do it.
    5. Check other cabling for shaving through. Especially just behind the battery towards the firewall.

Hope you come right
    ---000O000---
    Disco 3 V8 HSE 2007
    Ford Ranger 3.0 TDci 2008
    SERIES III 109 1976 HC
    DEFENDER 110 TD5 2006 CSW - SOLD!
    ----
    ZS1JHZ @ 2M

Guys, also start by checking your steering angle.
    Zero it , and you'll see this faults will disappear if its not a shaved harness
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBob View Post
    what system voltage is your iid tool giving you? maybe a dodgy earth connection or dirty battery terminal.
    Mike, when idling its 14v+
    When connected early morning prior to startup 12.3v ish
    This happens when idling like i said only during stop go traffic or once brakes are applied.

I bought new globes at LR this morning will install and check.

Quote Originally Posted by serieslr View Post
    I was actually expecting this error to happen soon on SWAMBOs D3.

Anyway everytime something is replaced, service or repaired I always check the area.

So far the gearbox was serviced, rear brake sensor was replaced and two O2 sensors replaced.

And everytime it get worked on something some connector take a beating and its mounting clip.

After the gearbox service last year I was actually shocked at the state of the cabling and connectors afterwards.
    Cable ties were missing, the main gearbox harness and connector did not look so good.
    The connector mounting was broken.
    Harness was hanging completely loose.
    Same with rear brake sensor when it was replaced.

And I'm pretty convinced if that connector just smell a bit of water it would start getting gearbox comms errors.
    I'm also sure this is why we see so many errors such as this, because the cabling just get abused by mechanics that don't have the correct finesses for these electronic beasts.
    In most cases when a complex connector is disconnected it is either broken, does not seal anymore or not plugged back correctly.

So my diagnosis would be as follows:

1. As said before check earthing on gearbox.
    2. Open all the connectors surrounding the GB and check for corrosion.
    3. Use electrical spray and clean where necessary
    4. Do it your self, don't trust a workshop to do it.
    5. Check other cabling for shaving through. Especially just behind the battery towards the firewall.

Hope you come right
    I must agree with you , it's for a while now that I'm getting handbrake errors and transmission faults , handbrake faults every time I'm driving a wet road , transmission faults every time I drive a bumpy road , I was shocked when I looked underneath the car at the state of the plugs , covers missing , plugs in the path off the tire spray , will clean and seal everything in the next two weaks and report back.
    The Range is on 120 000km and all worked done at Landrover and the cabling underneath is a mess,
    Last edited by lazyboy; 2017/10/25 at 03:29 PM.
    Range Rover Sport SC 4.2 V8 ( FATBOY )
    Disco1 V8 ( LAZYBOY )
    Austin Mini 1380cc ( Finiky )

Some feedback on the issue.

I replaced the new brake light switch with another new one...just to be sure.
    I also replaced the globes with the expensive LR globes..just to be sure.

No issue for a week, but as i drove into a parking lot, foot on brake slowly kreeping forward, Transmission fault triggered.

i stopped, turned off the car, connected IIDTOOL and reset all faults.

Car was not idling nat this stage after faults cleared , just ignition on...Battery voltage indicated about 12.7v...pumped the brakes a few times and Bong !!! Transmission faults again...This time battery voltage was sitting at 12.3v which in my opinion is still good.

I have my doubts as to the battery causing the issues as I got the transmission fault both idling ( voltage then at about 14v ) and ignition only on at 12.3- 12.7v )

My diagnosis is fault between the Brake light globes and the brake light switch...

Ok, any advice on where this electrical fault ( suspected earth issue) can be found ??
    Last edited by AllOutdoors; 2017/11/08 at 08:53 PM.

Maybe this thread can give some ideas where to look.
    But it seems the brake switch circuit has a problem.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/trans...ssion+U0416-86
    ---000O000---
    Disco 3 V8 HSE 2007
    SERIES III 109 1976 HC
    ----
    ZS1JHZ @ 2M

Quote Originally Posted by serieslr View Post
    Maybe this thread can give some ideas where to look.
    But it seems the brake switch circuit has a problem.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/trans...ssion+U0416-86
    Serieslr, I've actually downloaded that thread and will start working through it as I suspect I may have a similar problem...Cleared faults last night, drove about 40km this morning, braked slow and turned into my driveway and Bong...Same fault..

What I have noticed is that the fault is triggered only on slow driving forward with foot on brake, sometime as I'm turning, sometimes not, so someone else that reported steering culomn related issies of harbess rubbing somewhere may also be an option.

Gees why are these wonderful cars not easy to diagnose faults on :-)

Quote Originally Posted by AllOutdoors View Post
    Serieslr, I've actually downloaded that thread and will start working through it as I suspect I may have a similar problem...Cleared faults last night, drove about 40km this morning, braked slow and turned into my driveway and Bong...Same fault..

What I have noticed is that the fault is triggered only on slow driving forward with foot on brake, sometime as I'm turning, sometimes not, so someone else that reported steering culomn related issies of harbess rubbing somewhere may also be an option.

Gees why are these wonderful cars not easy to diagnose faults on :-)
    Unfortunately I don't have the circuit diagrams (like the RAVECDs) for the D3.
    That will help a lot to understand the problem.

But looking at that D3 UK thread and partial schematic you can understand why certain things has a related influence.
    Like the steering position sensor and brake switch, because the have a common fused.
    Which means if one of the mis-behave, it influence the other leading completely unrelated ECU errors.
    ---000O000---
    Disco 3 V8 HSE 2007
    SERIES III 109 1976 HC
    ----
    ZS1JHZ @ 2M

I've had all of these faults, changed switches, globes, brake sensor. It was only when the thing packed up completely in the Kgalahadi that I eventually found the problem, It was the front windscreen wiper motor that had an intermittent fault. It was giving all sorts of fault codes but none of them were related to the wipers. Fitted a new motor, haven't had a fault message in months now, no more issues. Not saying that's your problem but the system is so complicated that the fault codes are almost meaningless. I searched for people who had had similar problems to me and found three guys who traced the fault to either a wiper relay or the motor.
    Jeep wrangler Sahara 2005: Disco 3 TDV6 2006: series III SWB 1974

It seems the main problem is switches and ECUs are on the same power feed some times, i.e from the same fuse.
    Which is actually a no-no.
    So when the switch goes faulty, like the brake pedal switch, it disrupts the steering position sensor further down the line.
    This is why the reported errors actually does not make sense.

The only way to fault find is to use the electrical diagrams and check all the related sensors and switches.
    ---000O000---
    Disco 3 V8 HSE 2007
    SERIES III 109 1976 HC
    ----
    ZS1JHZ @ 2M

Here is where we are at the moment.

This is a long post as its taken from discussions with the guys at GAP Diagnostics ( IIDTOOL ) to try and understand the DTC's.
    Hopefully this may help someone else diagnose this in future.

Maybe there is a Auto sparky here that could assist and help further troubleshooting locally.

Starting from my initial email with trailing comments below:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Good day Patrick,

Hope all is well and its not too cold on your side of the world yet.

I am hoping you or one of your colleagues could help me with troubleshooting a problem.

In the last 3 months I have started getting the Transmission / HDC Suspension lowered faults more regularly.

I use the IID tool to clear faults and log the errors every time and in all cases it’s been a Brake light switch Algorithm errors causing the faults.

These faults are now triggered more regularly and happens within 20 – 40 km after clearing previous faults.
    These faults are only triggered when depressing the brake pedal at intermittent times.

I have done the following trouble shooting:

• Replaced brake light switch with genuine Land Rover switch….Same fault came up within 20 minutes of driving.
    • Replaced the new brake light switch with the old one, same fault triggered.
    • Used a loan brakelight switch from a friend and same fault triggered.
    • Returned the New brake light switch to Land Rover and had it swopped with another brake light switch just to be sure the previous new unit was not faulty “out the box”.
    • New Brake light switch same errors
    • I have replaced both L&R rear brake globes with Land Rover brake globes. Same errors triggered
    • I had a look at the steering angle sensor and when looking at angles using IIDtool, all seems fine. Some Faults have triggered whilst steering is turned, but only after brake pedal was engaged so I think is was co-incidence that faults are triggered whilst turning, as the brake pedal is always engaged prior to turning.

• I have as a precaution also had the battery tested. It’s a brand new Bosh battery and testes revealed battery 100 condition under load.
    • Whilst having battery out, I opened up all connectors behind battery, cleaned entire area with electrical cleaner. All good.
    • I have also installed a loan Transfer case ECU just to rule out the possibility of the TC ECU, but fault comes back within a few minutes of depressing the brake pedal.
    • Old and working Transfer Case ECU installed back.

I have come to the conclusion that the fault may not be caused by the Brake globes or the brake light switch, however the fault happens after brake light switch circuit is engaged perhaps.

I have not driven much since then which was 2 days ago.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: This transmission fault is only triggered when driving in a straight line at very, very low speeds or standing still at malls or at traffic lights or sitting in traffic.
    It only happens when one has your foot on the brake and slightly creeping forward, in other words then the brake pedal is slightly activated in a short succession of time.ie pumping the pedal very lightly with a very light foot on the brake.
    Fault is triggered in Park, Neutral, Drive and Reverse

I have used the IIDtool and set a favourite live values screen whereby I monitor the following. See Attached picture Brake Pedal off and brake pedal engaged.
    I can in fact now create this fault by doing the following:

When vehicle is in park or neutral, as one pumps the brake pedal you can hear the “ shift lock switch” / solenoid / actuator clicking which is normal, however when keeping a very light foot on the brake pedal and forcing the switch and actuator to click very quickly and in short succession the transmission error is triggered.
    If I can explain better, it almost sounds like the shift lock switch is over worked. In other words almost creating a short by pumping the brake pedal lightly and very quickly, one hears the switch clicking very quickly…
    This may be purely co- incidental, but having the transmission in Park or neutral, one can hear and see on IIUD tool screen how the brake pedal send signal to switch.
    Obviously when transmission is in Drive , one cannot hear the clicking of the shift lock, but the same signal obviously still goes to the transmission when depressing the brake pedal and that may be where the problem is ?

Ok, so now with my limited knowledge of the inner electronics of the LR 3 I wish to ask assistance in understanding what happens and how to the systems talk with each other once the brake pedal is pressed so it can help me troubleshoot this problem.

I understand the following but obviously miss a number of things.

Brake pedal is pressed in Neutral or Park or Drive:

• The brake switch talks with the gear lock actuator / switch/ solenoid
    • Brake talks with DSC
    • Brake talks with HDC
    • Brake talks to ABS which in turn talks to transfer case ECU
    • Brake talks with brake light globes
    • Brake talks with transfer case ECU ?

I think the problem may be the shortest patch from the brake switch to wherever the transmission may not be receiving the correct voltage input perhaps ?

See latest fault printout attached.

Your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated, maybe also a detailed explanation of the error codes perhaps ?.

----------------------------------------------
    Hi Romeo
    What you have is an issue with the brake lighting circuit.
    Next would be to check the wiring and brake switch adjustments. I do believe there is an adjustment on them. This is to make sure the switch is pressed at the correct time when the pedal is pushed. Wiring attached.
    P0504-64 Brake Switch A / B Correlation
    Brake switch malfunction
    Check for ABS DTCs, check the brake switch and circuits (refer to the electrical guides). Clear the DTCs and test for normal operation
    Brake Switch A / B Correlation
    Brake switch malfunction (sub-processor)
    Check for ABS DTCs, check the brake switch and circuits (refer to the electrical guides). Clear the DTCs and test for normal operation

--
    Best Regards
    Patrick Meilleur,

--------------------------------------------------------------

Patrick
    To my knowledge the brake switch has no settings.
    It does has a special way of installation which enables the pin to rest against the pedal arm when properly installed. Insert and turn 45Deg to click in. That is the only way I know and have been told

As far as cable faults go I would need to find an actual cable reticulation diagram for R hand drive D3 to see where the cables actually run before stripping the entire vehicles insides out J

I just find it strange that 3 new brake switches all have the same failure which makes me believe the switch is fine, but as you mention the circuit before or after the switch may be a problem.
    As far as ABS testing goes, are you referring to the ABS sensor ?

Another question, is there a test function on the IID tool to test the ABS function ? or are you referring to a physical remove the actual sensor and do a visual inspection ?

---------------------------------------------------

Hi Romeo

The fact that 3 switches create the problem indicates that it's not the switch hence my suggestions. You are correct, there are no adjustments, I looked it up...
    Unfortunately, there are no wires routing diagram available. You will have to follow the wires...
    ABS: what I sent you is from LR literature. The brake lights are part of the ABS system which is why they mention it.

------------------------------------------------------- I have 2 more questions please.

The circuit problem you refer to, is there a way the IID tool or yourself can identify possible fault.
    Could it be an earth related problem or voltage drop on a positive wire. Ie. voltage insufficient to brake switch from another source or a fault from brake switch to other switches.. I’m trying to understand the flow of this so I know where to identify. Locally there are not that many auto electricians that are very good, so the customer must help them troubleshoot.

The way I understand you is that once brake pedal is pressed, the circuit fault runs from brake switch to ABS and other devices ( correlation error) which in turn triggers the transmission fault.

I would also like to understand what this means ( Marked in RED )

P0504-64 Brake Switch A / B Correlation
    Brake switch malfunction
    Brake Switch A / B Correlation
    Brake switch malfunction (sub-processor)

What is the difference between the two ? Switch and sub processor??
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Romeo

Unfortunately, it could be anywhere in the related wiring therefore I cannot specifically say where. It's significantly harder without the car here...

What you have is a cascading effect. The brake light system is at fault and others are not happy. There are 2 signal wires coming out of the switch.

-One goes to the ABS ECU

-The other ones goes to the Body Processor

Both ECU then transfer these signal to the Engine and other ECUs which compares them. In your specific case, correlation means that the ECUs are not happy with both signals. This can be caused by but not limited too:

-One of the ECU does not receive the 12 V from the switch

-One of the ECU receives the signal too late (which is why I suggested to look at the mechanical side of things but I am unsure if there is an adjustment)

-One constantly receives it as being pressed

-One of the ECU does not send the info

-Bad bulb (check the top one on the tailgate too)

You can look it up in the live values also: Menu--Live Values--Engine--Brake signal or similar. There is a small delay between both signals but its quite short.

And yes, bad ground or battery can create these problems.
    Hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Have you checked that the red wire on the brake light switch and I think the white and green on has a full 12v present. There is a splice that gives trouble. There should be 2x 12v supplies to The switch

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBob View Post
    Have you checked that the red wire on the brake light switch and I think the white and green on has a full 12v present. There is a splice that gives trouble. There should be 2x 12v supplies to The switch
    Sounds like very good advice to me.

Pretty much what that UK disco3 site said.

The one guy actually cheated by bridging the two.
    ---000O000---
    Disco 3 V8 HSE 2007
    SERIES III 109 1976 HC
    ----
    ZS1JHZ @ 2M

Quote Originally Posted by Reece View Post
    2009 V8 HSE
    185 000km

Similar incident but a lot less frequent. almost exactly one year ago I had upon start up an putting the car in reverse the "Transmission Fault."
    Stopped, restarted and never had another problem. suspected dud battery, never replaced or changed, just left it

About six months ago, twice got the "special functions off" in close succession upon start up. usually after having the radio one for a while. suspected dud battery, still didn't replace.

This morning got transmission fault upon start up and putting disco in reverse. Was in Transkei for the past week, arrived back on Sunday evening and started car for first time this morning. Upon switch off and starting no more "transmission fault". Will chuck the Diagnostic on when I get back home on Saturday.

My optimistic diagnosis is battery. Car drives fine and has no other issues.

Last diagnostic about a couple of months ago showed a few errors on the infotainment system, which seems to blip when I crank the engine. Once gain hopefully battery related....

Been at Land Rover twice since first incident of "transmission fault" for services with no reports back. Also had it at ZF for gearbox service.

So hoping mine is caused by battery, will report back.
    Hi Reece

the symptoms you describe are typical for a battery in dire need for a charge. Ignoring it will drastically reduce the life span of the battery. Both our D3 and the FFRR Td6 give a HDC fault, when trying to start it after a 2-3 weeks period of inactivity.

The reason for this fault is in the (below acceptable) system voltage drop, when starting the vehicle with a battery below around 40% of charge. When I was overseas for 3 weeks late September/early October, I forgot to hook up the Rangie to the CTEK as I was running out of time getting to the airport. As I tried to start the vehicle, the engine fired up with a simultaneous HDC fault coming up. After a full charge this has not recurred. Vehicle is used daily and given a booster charge every 4 weeks as a matter of routine.

These new vehicles with lots and lots of electronics etc are far more demanding on the battery, then what a 1990's Defender or Disco1 were.

Trust this explains it for you.

George
    George Bosch
    2003 RangeRover Vogue 3.0 Td6 (Mine) / 2005 LR Disco3 TDV6 S (Swambo's) / 1998 Disco1 Tdi ES (Sold) / And some more serious stuff

Distributor for:
    DEFAProjectaSignature.png

Special offers for 4X4community forum members on CTEK! Send PM with your email address for details

Hi AllOutDoors, did you ever sort out this problem?
    (Ex) 1999 D90 2.8i (BMW Power )
    (Ex) 2004 Disco 2 V8 ES 4.6 conversion
    2007 D3 4.4 V8

Another update...All of this is pure speculation and conclusions drawn on troubleshooting.

These issues seem to be intermittent every 3-5 months or so. Clear the errors and all goes away.
    So, recently had the same fault come up. This time asked an Indie for advice, he fiddled with the switch seating inside the cut out section on the bodywork as he suspected the brake pedal /sliding pin movement may be a cause of the problem. This caused an error every time the vehicle was driven over the weekend. In a nutshell the brake-pedal activates the switch and the switch activates a number of other ecu's in a very specific order. The order in which it should happen still has to be figured out.
    We opted to use an old spare switch for troubleshooting. No errors at present, and guess what we found...the troublesome switch is actually a D4 brake-light switch...These switches look the same, but work in a different way. We suspect the correlation error between Circuit A & B is where the D4 switch is different that the D3 switch. This was noticed with the live values on the diagnostic equipment.
    When pressing the brake pedal, the switch firstly activates the "brake lamp" circuit, then a fraction of a mm deeper in on the pedal the "brake switch" is activated and thereby activating many other functions come alive like DSC, HDC, ABS, Gear lock etc.
    What we have seen is that the D4 brake-light switch activates all circuits prior to the brake lights...This seems to be a problem and triggers the correlation error A / B circuits, whereas the D3 brake switch activates the brake lamps first then all other functions, and so far this had not caused immediate / short term ( drive 1-5km ) errors.
    Im no LR electronic engineer, but gees, these guys could surely have designed this system better.

Anyway, the old spare switch is back, A new switch has been ordered so well see what it looks like and how it works.

PS:L Land Rover admits they gave me a D4 switch instead of a D3 switch but claim both switches are interchangeable and work the same way...hmmmm I have my doubts
    Last edited by AllOutdoors; 2019/07/01 at 01:55 PM.

UPDATE:
    Its now been a few months and not a single error so I take it the issue is resolved.

What can one learn from this ?

DO NOT let the chop behind the parts desk at land Rover sell you the wrong brakelight switch. No Mr. parts salesman....the solid blue switch is not a "new supplier" of a D3 switch, its a D4 switch that does not work on a D3. It works for a while, then starts causing the errors.

The D3 brakelight switch is Blue & White. The D4 brakelight switch is a solid blue.
    The may appear similar, but certainly work in a different way which has caused the AB correlation errors on the system, resulting in the Transmission faults.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3 Brake switch.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	546170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D4 Brake Switch.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	546171