Yet another spider ID

Default Yet another spider ID

Hey guys, can anyone ID this little bastard, please? It's about 1cm across, so not very intimidating or aggressive, but my wife has been bitten twice in the face in the last week, and this is the only spider I've seen other than the gazillion rain spiders.

The bites fit the size of this spider, make a few blisters and an ugly mark, give her a massive headache, and then go away.

We live in a modern townhouse complex, but our neighbour has an old house with vines and creepers covering most of her walls, and I need to trim the damn things to stop them triggering our electric fencing. I'm pretty sure that's the source of all the spiders.

As long as it was just rain spiders, I had no problem, but my wife being bitten changes everything.

Also, besides fumigating the house, or setting the neighbour's house on fire, how do I make my house more unattractive to spiders?
    For going over stuff:
    2006 Jeep Commander 5.7 Hemi

Ex:2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi

For going around bendy bits:
    2006 Mazda RX8

For getting dirty:
    2008 KTM 300 XC-W
    2001 Raptor 660 - slightly fiddled with

Default Re: Yet another spider ID

Don't know what spider it is, but I use a product called Fendona. Available at most checkers stores(well, big ones with a garden section), in those small medicine like bottles. It is odorless, and works great for me. I can not fumigate my house as I have a marine tank, and this product keeps goggas out of my house. You mix it and then use one of those spray bottles to spray all around your windows, and your door frames, as well as walls.
    Last edited by lizardalpha; 2017/10/23 at 08:10 AM.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lizardalpha For This Useful Post:

j9x

That's the thing. I don't have any other goggas in my house. Only spiders. If it was dirty, or there were tons of bugs around, I'd understand. But it's not.
    For going over stuff:

2006 Mazda RX8

For getting dirty:
    2008 KTM 300 XC-W

Looks like a wolf spider. Would be able to say with a photo from the front. Not particularly nervous or aggro, so not prone to biting humans.

Venom is not medically significant, although bacteria might be introduced by the actual bite.

Sorry to hear about your wife and the discomfort, but if you didnít see the spider bite her you canít blame it.

'98 300 TDI "Lady Jane"
    '11 SX4 "Bazooki"

Quote Originally Posted by Roelof B View Post
    Looks like a wolf spider. Would be able to say with a photo from the front. Not particularly nervous or aggro, so not prone to biting humans.

Venom is not medically significant, although bacteria might be introduced by the actual bite.

Sorry to hear about your wife and the discomfort, but if you didnít see the spider bite her you canít blame it.
    Thanks Roelof. I'm not particularly worried about it being dangerous. As I said, the headaches and marks on her face are an annoyance, but not worth going to a doctor for. Anti - bacterial cream does the trick. But she found another bite on her neck today.

What's strange is that I'm not being bitten, and I have a long history of spider bites. Part of being a naughty boy and sticking my hands where they don't belong.

She's arranged some pesticide at her previous work (Laeveld Agrochem), and will be spraying the whole house this evening. It's not my first choice, but she said she's over this now. I can't say I blame her. Those headaches get old quickly.
    For going over stuff:

2006 Mazda RX8

For getting dirty:
    2008 KTM 300 XC-W

yup, that spider is a common wolf spider.

I doubt a hunting spider is the source of your problem, typical spiders you tend to find causing nasty bites & marks would be sac spiders. These little critters sometimes make homes in the foldings of curtains & towels or even bed linnen that doesn't get used or where they are disturbed often. They account for the most spider bites & the symptoms you describe fits the sac spider bite best.

I find Bactroban ointment works best for most spider bites, also works quite well for sac spider bites.

Unfortunately there is no golden rule to keep spiders at bay, but a possible suggestion is to check under your bed & possibly her wardrobe on clothes she hasn't worn for a while (like a Jacket when a cold spell pops up during summer, or a scarf left in an office over night) could harvest these spiders. Keep in mind sac spider bites are painless at first & may not be noticed immediately, which makes it difficult to pin point the origin of where the spider was encountered.

We moved into this place two months ago, and it was spotless when we moved in. No undisturbed hiding places. Also, the bites seem a bit mild for a sac spider. But thanks for the confirmation.
    For going over stuff:

2006 Mazda RX8

For getting dirty:
    2008 KTM 300 XC-W

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clint_Hemi For This Useful Post:

Can Anyone perhaps ID this spider
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Brown Widow?
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST"

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    Brown Widow?
    Thanks I think you are spot on

Quote Originally Posted by IvanRoux View Post
    Can Anyone perhaps ID this spider
    Bruin knopiespinnekop. Familie theriididae, genus latrodectus, spesie geometricus. Jy kan die "geometric" patrone duidelik op die een sien. Wyfie. Glad nie so gevaarlik soos wat mense dink nie. Daar is gevolge van so 'n byt (indien jy werklik baie ongelukkig is om gebyt te word) maar daar is geen teengif beskikbaar of nodig nie.

[/QUOTE]

Hierdie foto gaan jou nie meer laat kry as 'n raaiskoot nie.

Ek sien nie dat jy geantwoord het hoe jou vrou gebyt was en of die spinnekop 'n byter was nie. Sy sal seker net gebyt word in die bed as sy omrol en per ongeluk 'n spinnekop vasdruk tussen wang en kussing - waarskynlik wanneer sy slaap. Jy sien hoe identifikasie 'n probleem word? Spinnekoppe kry 99% van die tyd die skuld wanneer hulle 99% van die tyd nie die byters was nie.

Laastens is dit 'n baie groot fout om gifgasse in jou huis vry te stel.

Daaris seker baie meer om te sÍ en te verduidelik maar ek begin eerder by die begin.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rfti For This Useful Post: