Campmor Safari Bow setup & leaking issues - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Campmor Safari Bow setup & leaking issues

This definitely doesn't look right. I have the Campmor Overlander and it is a lot easier to set up than your experience would suggest. Mine also had some small leaks, but this was fixed by applying some of the included wax.

The tent is now completely waterproof and takes less than 10 minutes to set up completely.

I also got Safari Bow two weeks ago...Assembly was very easy. Started from top and worked my way down. 10 minute job.

Then I did the leak test and it did leak. Remember, Safari Bow is an old tent not being manufactured any more (I called Campmor and confirmed). They can make one on special order, and the one's that we get nowadays are old stock (I got mine at a bargain price at outdoor warehouse here in JHB).

That being said, campmor guys told me that it will leak as the tents were kept in warehouses, etc for a while.
    They told me to apply bee wax (which is campmor product for seam sealing - https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/p...ax-seam-sealer). If that was to fail, they told me to get Campmor NuProof (https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/p...or-nuproof-1lt) which is used for sealing as well as fixing canvas material - I didn't have to use it as my leaks stopped after the wax so can't say much about it.

Can you get bee wax online?
    If you can, get at least five of these little packets and seal all properly (I used the hair dryer to make it soft and melt and soak into the seem)

I am positive that it will sort out your leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    Remember, Safari Bow is an old tent not being manufactured any more (I called Campmor and confirmed). They can make one on special order, and the one's that we get nowadays are old stock (I got mine at a bargain price at outdoor warehouse here in JHB).

That being said, campmor guys told me that it will leak as the tents were kept in warehouses, etc for a while.
    Not sure what to make of these comments? There are at least one maybe two places in Australia that sell the campmor range new. Unless I'm missing something.

My tent is a campmor which has tags saying made in South Africa. It even had the signs of being new like tiny bits of material on tent floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post

Can you get bee wax online?
    If you can, get at least five of these little packets and seal all properly (I used the hair dryer to make it soft and melt and soak into the seem)

I am positive that it will sort out your leaks.
    Wouldn't bee wax not last very long? Never used the stuff. After you melt it, perhaps its easy to apply?

I had in mind seamgrip which is urethane. Have to clean surface first then apply slowly. Not sure how long that stuff lasts & if it's a good idea? Worst I heard is the stuff yellows over time in sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Manix View Post
    Not sure what to make of these comments? There are at least one maybe two places in Australia that sell the campmor range new. Unless I'm missing something.

My tent is a campmor which has tags saying made in South Africa. It even had the signs of being new like tiny bits of material on tent floor.
    Hi Manix

I've let Monya from Campmor South Africa sales aware of this thread so expect her to be in contact.

Cheers

Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by DirtBasher View Post
    We have experienced gale force winds and the tent was blown almost flat and it just pops back up, due to the high spring steel it handles wind like no other.
    It rained for 5 days the first time we used it and subsequent storms no leaks at all.
    I'm surprised yours went like that, was it pegged down? I would have thought being a dome shape this tent would stand up even in near category 2 cyclone winds. Mine was setup in yard during a very windy burst of 80+km/h winds for a short time & even the awning stayed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Manix View Post

Hi Manix

I got this e-mail from Justin at Campmor earlier today for you (posted with his permission) so please get in touch with him directly ...

Hi Graeme

Thank you for being in touch with Monya.
    Please could you ask Manix to email me directly so i may assist him.
    Many thanks.

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by DirtBasher View Post
    Attachment 465696

So further inspection and post a clear photo of that area and we can determine if poor quality is the cause.
    Here are some close up photos of the seams that leak, I don't know what I'm looking at.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seam close up.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	467477

Can anyone say if this is normal of this grommet? It looks to me like it's too tight & may damage the surrounding material over time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	groomet stressed.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	467476
    Last edited by Manix; 2017/11/14 at 10:45 AM.

The grommet in the last picture look fine, ours is also tight , but never had an issue 4 years later after purchase.

The Stitching in the left picture looks correct, tent should overlap the ground sheet (outside)
    Right picture looks torn or unfinished ?

Reviving an old thread. About to buy the 3x3 Bow with awning from Campmor.... Reading this, I am a bit sceptical.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Reviving an old thread. About to buy the 3x3 Bow with awning from Campmor.... Reading this, I am a bit sceptical.
    I don't have any issues with mine

I pitched it after getting it, hosed it down to get the threads wet so that they could swell up.
    Second hosing it was leaking less.

First camping trip it poured for three hours and I had little more than a tablespoon of water in the tent.

Pitching the tent over the frame is a tight fit but definitely possible.

These product will seal your tent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nuproof 1l.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	525186   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nuproof 5l.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	276.0 KB 
ID:	525187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nuproof can.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	525188  
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Yes, it is heavy (26kg) - but, it lasts and lasts...and stands up to most storms. As solid and secure (Weather) as a tent can be.

Set-up can be done by one person, easier when two. Lay tent open flat, put the pole structure assembled on top - tie the ribbon of the tent to the X on the pole, crossed. Hook three clips per pole starting in the centre. Lift and put the pole into the grommet where it is supposed to go. Some clips might come off during this process, just put them back. Once frame is standing on all four poles, continue to put the clips on. I do each leg’s clips separately and do not walk around doing a clip at a time.

The extension (another 27kg) is even easier to pitch, once Bow tent is standing, place the poles laid out where they should be. Assemble the roof portion, add the first leg pole section, through the tent across and then lift structure adding the last leg poles.

For weekends, we did not bother with the extension but for holidays it is a great system.

Depends on many issues as to whether this is the right tent for you. Certainly, one of the strongest. It does have the safari look all over and look in place in the bush. Rebel 4x4 at 34, you should be fine, health wise and you should not have a problem. If you were 65, I would have suggested going for something lighter and a quick pitch. Do you want to use this as a weekender – choose a lighter quick set-up, or do you want to sleep in this for a week at a time – Then yes. Do you overland, meaning if something goes wrong with a tent your holiday is ruined? If so then this is the right tent, it will last…

Good luck!
    Last edited by JP vd Merwe; 2019/04/10 at 12:35 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2