Campmor Safari Bow setup & leaking issues

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Campmor Safari Bow setup & leaking issues

Hello all

I purchased a Campmor Safari Bow 3x3 and I'm having trouble setting it up completely, issues with leaks & looking to know if this is normal. I signed up as after searching it looks like more people on here use these style of tents than in my area.

From all the videos I watched of these being set up & reading my instructions, there look to be two ways to set these tents up.

#1: setup whole pole frame first, then clip s hooks onto it. You can either start at top or bottom of tent.

#2: sit pole frame over top of tent position while flat on ground & connect a few s hooks, then lift centre tent & place pole ends in eyelets. This requires at least 2 people.

Trying the 1st method, either starting at top or bottom I simply can't get all s hooks on spring pole frame as in some areas they can't reach no matter how hard I try. See pics.
    #1 is the preferred method for me as it means I can set it up by my self using a small fold step stand I take with me.

Connecting S hooks from bottom & working up to top:
    This is as far as it will go, I can't connect last three on each pole, & there is no give in poles at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tent 1.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	464629
    While the rest of lower spring poles are not under too much tension:

Name:	tent 3.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	464630

Now I try the 1st method again but start connecting s hooks at top first, by the end of it the two right sides of spring poles are under alot of tension, in fact I can't possible connect the last 5 lower s hooks on the rear right pole as shown here:

Name:	tent 5.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	464632

The majority of this pole bulges out badly, even left like this there is too much tension of certain grommets on left rear pole.

Here is two deep cracks in pole slot that were already there when I got tent.

Name:	pole crack.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	464635

I tried the 2nd setup method, but with even two people it was too hard & I stopped about half way as I have no confidence in the poles lasting being under such stress.

This tent to me is simple too tight on various s hooks & the grommets look like they will damage canvas over time, even the stitching on bottom fabric that has two grommets looks to be coming undone.

Within 20min of moderate heavy rain there are around 6-8 small pools of water around sides coming from canvas/floor seam. You can see a few trails of drops from the seam forming the pool. Also leaks in other places like rear window zipper seams even with outside window zipped up. It has rained heavy 3 times since tent is up & each time the seams leaked the same.

There are dozens of small holes throughout the seam like below. Not sure if these obvious holes/gaps are the leaks.

Name:	tent 7.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	464640

Can anyone say from experience if seam sealer will stop these leaks?

So is all this normal of these tents? Or a bad tent or perhaps one that was on demo & abused?

Don't know what to do about the spring poles if I'm forced to keep the tent? The two rear length of poles look like they need to be slightly shortened, can anyone say if this is all that would be required?

Please give your thoughts & help thanks.

Default Re: Campmor Safari Bow setup & leaking issues

Those poles don't look right. If the place you got it from is close, I would take it back.

As for setup, I use your method 1. I start at the top when hooking the clips on, but work around the tent doing one on each pole, instead of finishing a side. As I get about 1/3 or 1/2 way down, I skip some clips, and do the one in the middle of the loose section, and repeat the process.
    Hope that makes sense

We also recently purchased the is tent with its extension. Had no issues setting it up, other than with everything in the bag, it weighs a ton .

That said, we prefer setup method 2, where you clip 3 clips onto the poles before lifting and securing the poles into their holes on the corners. Then when the poles are all up, start clipping the rest of the clips. I noticed it's easier to bend the pole closer to the pin, loosely hooking the clip over and the letting the tension in the pole clip in the clip - hope that makes sense.

I do suspect you might have the incorrect poles, especially the female section on your poles - my poles seem nearly indestructible and doubt whether they have cracks in. Heavy steel poles.

As far as the leaking goes - have not been able to test this, as it was a clear sunny day when we pitched it in the garden . Might also have something to do with the "incorrect setup". I have heard it's a good idea to smear all the seems with beeswax on a hot sunny day and letting it sit for a day or two. Should sort out the most of your leaks. We did not notice any holes.

If I where you, I would chat to a place that does canvas works.
    Last edited by Hendel1986; 2017/10/18 at 11:31 AM.
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

when buying a new canvas tent, you need to set it up probably in your yards. Soak it with hose, but make sure you hose it down completely.
    let it dry. And repeat it again.

The thread holes are big from needle that was used during sewing. By soaking with water the thread expands and closes the holes and seals/seats. You should also have some orange wax that accompanied the tent? That is used to seal all other seams that still leak after soak and seating procedure.

tentco website - scroll to number 3 leakage
    also scroll through menu and look at the tent setup and snr bow.

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    Those poles don't look right. If the place you got it from is close, I would take it back.

As for setup, I use your method 1. I start at the top when hooking the clips on, but work around the tent doing one on each pole, instead of finishing a side. As I get about 1/3 or 1/2 way down, I skip some clips, and do the one in the middle of the loose section, and repeat the process.
    Hope that makes sense
    Yes that makes sense & is what I tried, this is very simple tent to set up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendel1986 View Post
    We also recently purchased the is tent with its extension. Had no issues setting it up, other than with everything in the bag, it weighs a ton .

That said, we prefer setup method 2, where you clip 3 clips onto the poles before lifting and securing the poles into their holes on the corners. Then when the poles are all up, start clipping the rest of the clips. I noticed it's easier to bend the pole closer to the pin, loosely hooking the clip over and the letting the tension in the pole clip in the clip - hope that makes sense.

I do suspect you might have the incorrect poles, especially the female section on your poles - my poles seem nearly indestructible and doubt whether they have cracks in. Heavy steel poles.

As far as the leaking goes - have not been able to test this, as it was a clear sunny day when we pitched it in the garden . Might also have something to do with the "incorrect setup". I have heard it's a good idea to smear all the seems with beeswax on a hot sunny day and letting it sit for a day or two. Should sort out the most of your leaks. We did not notice any holes.

If I where you, I would chat to a place that does canvas works.
    Thanks. I did a rain test with both hose/sprinkler & heavy rain. What I found was rain water penetrates & leaks far more than tape water. So much that a sprinkler is no good indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    when buying a new canvas tent, you need to set it up probably in your yards. Soak it with hose, but make sure you hose it down completely.
    let it dry. And repeat it again.

The thread holes are big from needle that was used during sewing. By soaking with water the thread expands and closes the holes and seals/seats. You should also have some orange wax that accompanied the tent? That is used to seal all other seams that still leak after soak and seating procedure.

tentco website - scroll to number 3 leakage
    also scroll through menu and look at the tent setup and snr bow.
    Yeah I have read up on weathering canvas tents, no orange wax. I don't wan't to use seam sealer like urethane until I get this pole issue sorted.

Hi Manix

Your Campmor tent model is the tallest at 2.25m (if it is the Safari Bow it should be 3x3x2.25m) so unless they have supplied a non Campmor pole set it should be correct.

I'd measure the length of the poles from tip to the centre cross point and then e-mail Campmor to find out if it is correct.

http://www.campmoroutdoor.co.za/contact.php

I'm assuming you bought the tent new (those window guy ropes look very neat and unused), so they should sort you out. Is it possible to take it back to where you bought it?

Hope you get it sorted soon!

Also, one you've "weathered it" as Dwayne P said by wetting it and letting the seams dry and contract you should not have leaks (or minor enough that you can seal with a bees wax stick). Do you have the flysheet on when it rains? Otherwise the water could be coming in from the top small window at the rear of the tent and seem like it's leaking?

Quote Originally Posted by tkk View Post
    Hi Manix

Your Campmor tent model is the tallest at 2.25m (if it is the Safari Bow it should be 3x3x2.25m) so unless they have supplied a non Campmor pole set it should be correct.

I'd measure the length of the poles from tip to the centre cross point and then e-mail Campmor to find out if it is correct.

http://www.campmoroutdoor.co.za/contact.php

I'm assuming you bought the tent new (those window guy ropes look very neat and unused), so they should sort you out. Is it possible to take it back to where you bought it?

Hope you get it sorted soon!
    The place I brought it new online has ignored emails & they are clearly no help.

Also, one you've "weathered it" as Dwayne P said by wetting it and letting the seams dry and contract you should not have leaks (or minor enough that you can seal with a bees wax stick). Do you have the flysheet on when it rains? Otherwise the water could be coming in from the top small window at the rear of the tent and seem like it's leaking?
    I use fly sheet when raining, without it the top vent leaks badly even when zipped up.
    I have weathered this alot, the leaks come from the floor/wall seam itself, haven't re-tested after a couple of good soaks. But the leaks are not the big problem now, it's the poles & the place I brought it from don't wanna know ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Manix View Post
    I use fly sheet when raining, without it the top vent leaks badly even when zipped up.
    I have weathered this alot, the leaks come from the floor/wall seam itself, haven't re-tested after a couple of good soaks. But the leaks are not the big problem now, it's the poles & the place I brought it from don't wanna know ya.
    The place I brought it new online has ignored emails & they are clearly no help.
    Sorry to hear that! Is suggest then to e-mail Campmor directly here in South Africa to see what the pole measurements should be and also about the leaks. They might be able to help you somehow even though you aren't in South Africa. Sounds like that might be your best bet - did you see the link to them that I posted?

What is the online place's returns policy? Might just be better to get a refund if you can return it.

All the best and please let us know what the issue is once you're sorted!

Sorry to hear that! Is suggest then to e-mail Campmor directly here in South Africa to see what the pole measurements should be and also about the leaks. They might be able to help you somehow even though you aren't in South Africa. Sounds like that might be your best bet - did you see the link to them that I posted?

What is the online place's returns policy? Might just be better to get a refund if you can return it.

All the best and please let us know what the issue is once you're sorted!

Hi. It seems I have this pole length issue sorted out, it requires a fiddly way to set the hooks on but it can be done & now all s-hooks are on. My tent skin is very tight & if not done right it won't get complete. I think my poles are of correct length. I started at top again & connected one hook on each side at a time & made sure tent skin was pulled up.

However I still have a cracked pole slot that was there from the beginning, so maybe I might try asking campor if they can arrange a replacement.

As for the online place I brought from I think Id have to take it up with my credit card vendor. Online reviews of that place show others had horrible experiences.

Update on the leaks.

Last night it rained for a good 5-6 hours constantly & so I had plenty of time to see what else leaks. Prior to Each test I would wipe the floor clean dry & wait a good hour to see how much water pooled up.

Firstly, weathering the tent many times did nothing. It is clear seam sealer is needed on many of the seams.

Many of the leaks come from the three window seams in various places, also the green window mesh itself. This happens because the mesh is touching the outside canvas window & draws water in. With the window flaps pegged out these mesh leaks don't happen. Perhaps my tent wasn't tight enough, & I will try one more test now all s-hooks are connected.

All these window leaks mean most of the tent area gets wet.

Has anyone else had tents leak from the mesh like this?

Are you sure that you have a genuine Campmor and not a cheap imitation? I had the 3m dome and from day one I never had a leak. In fact after a big storm the tent was in about 10 cm of water all round like a lake. Not a drop inside. I found that the easiest way to erect it was to lay the tent flat on the ground with the sides still folded towards the middle. I then assembled the spring steel frame add put the legs into the corner eyes. Then stand in the middle and twist the frame so the top is low enough to hold under your arm pit. You then get the centre top of the canvas and attach the top 3 hooks onto each of the 4 frame poles. The frame will then pull up the tent when you release it. It is then easy to attach the rest of the hooks. Taking it down is the reverse. Go round each side and flip it in towards the middle keeping it flat. Fold it to the right width to fit the bag, roll it up tight and then put the bag over the rolled up tent. Do not try to pick up the tent and put it in the bag. Hope this makes sense. Good luck.
    Pete

ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA

2002 Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 3.0

Update on the leaks.

Last night it rained for a good 5-6 hours constantly & so I had plenty of time to see what else leaks. Prior to Each test I would wipe the floor clean dry & wait a good hour to see how much water pooled up.

Firstly, weathering the tent many times did nothing. It is clear seam sealer is needed on many of the seams.

Many of the leaks come from the three window seams in various places, also the green window mesh itself. This happens because the mesh is touching the outside canvas window & draws water in. With the window flaps pegged out these mesh leaks don't happen. Perhaps my tent wasn't tight enough, & I will try one more test now all s-hooks are connected.

All these window leaks mean most of the tent area gets wet.

Has anyone else had tents leak from the mesh like this?
    I have the Safari Snr Combo I think it's called. Had it for nearly 10 yrs now. Also experienced some leaking in the beginning mainly from the seams and after "weathering" the tent. However that mostly went away quite shortly after. I used surfboard wax on all the seams that I could reach and it seemed to help alot. That was a while back, and since have used some waterproof liquid that is applied with a brush. This worked very well.

I used the tent last weekend without the extension and forgot the covering on the top at home. It also started dripping through the mesh with the window zipped shut. I think it was pulled and pegged slightly open it wouldn't have done it.

The little pinprick holes are normal and I haven't ever had a leak from them.

I must admit that as great a tent as it is once up (not that easy with only me and the wife to put the extension on) I was slightly dissapointed in the odd leak here and there. Nothing annoys me more than a drip in a tent that cost nearly R13k (mine back then was R9999).

I'm thinking about having another extension made from lighter ripstop material for those short weekend camping trips to help make the setup and take down quicker and easier.

Sorry not much help but just my 10 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by petewill View Post
    Are you sure that you have a genuine Campmor and not a cheap imitation? I had the 3m dome and from day one I never had a leak. In fact after a big storm the tent was in about 10 cm of water all round like a lake. Not a drop inside. I found that the easiest way to erect it was to lay the tent flat on the ground with the sides still folded towards the middle. I then assembled the spring steel frame add put the legs into the corner eyes. Then stand in the middle and twist the frame so the top is low enough to hold under your arm pit. You then get the centre top of the canvas and attach the top 3 hooks onto each of the 4 frame poles. The frame will then pull up the tent when you release it. It is then easy to attach the rest of the hooks. Taking it down is the reverse. Go round each side and flip it in towards the middle keeping it flat. Fold it to the right width to fit the bag, roll it up tight and then put the bag over the rolled up tent. Do not try to pick up the tent and put it in the bag. Hope this makes sense. Good luck.
    Looks genuine to me, certainly ins't cheap looking. What year was your dome? Maybe campmor started making the seams different. You mention not a drop inside, that is a world of difference from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    I have the Safari Snr Combo I think it's called. Had it for nearly 10 yrs now. Also experienced some leaking in the beginning mainly from the seams and after "weathering" the tent. However that mostly went away quite shortly after. I used surfboard wax on all the seams that I could reach and it seemed to help alot. That was a while back, and since have used some waterproof liquid that is applied with a brush. This worked very well.

I used the tent last weekend without the extension and forgot the covering on the top at home. It also started dripping through the mesh with the window zipped shut. I think it was pulled and pegged slightly open it wouldn't have done it.

The little pinprick holes are normal and I haven't ever had a leak from them.

I must admit that as great a tent as it is once up (not that easy with only me and the wife to put the extension on) I was slightly dissapointed in the odd leak here and there. Nothing annoys me more than a drip in a tent that cost nearly R13k (mine back then was R9999).

I'm thinking about having another extension made from lighter ripstop material for those short weekend camping trips to help make the setup and take down quicker and easier.

Sorry not much help but just my 10 cents.

Thanks.

I have soaked mine & let dry while pitched up over 2weeks in yard many times & it has rained about 4 times all long hard duration.

So as far as i can tell it looks like my leaks require seam sealer.

I contacted campmor about getting some poles as mine has deep cracks in the slot. Waiting if they reply.

Can anyone say how I would repair these cracks? They flex open a bit while under tension. All i have is a basic arc welder, perhaps a decent welder could do it? Not sure about this material.

Finally has anyone moded the springpoles so they don't slip out, this is annoying while trying to set the poles up.

thanks.
    Last edited by Manix; 2017/10/26 at 10:17 AM.

Default Campmor Safari Bow setup & leaking issues

Hi
    Iíve been following the thread to see if you have any luck from the vendor and by all accounts you are out of luck.

We have the biggest Campmor Safari with out the enclosed kitchen veranda and prior to buying I looked at various other tent names.

We finally chose Campmor because their quality was the best, and I know what Iím talking about as Iíve done canvas builds for our own add ons.

What appealed to me was the care given in stitching , they use full felled stitched folds in high strength areas and to prevent water ingress.
    The most common areas that tents leak in the canvas bow type are where the floor is stitched to the side walls.
    If a full felled stitch isnít used it will tear and show the similarities in your photo.
    A full felled stitch is when two pieces are folded over each other
    And a double stitch line through the center.
    See photo of a rough drawing.

Name:	IMG_5032.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	465696

So further inspection and post a clear photo of that area and we can determine if poor quality is the cause.

If you have a canopy or flysheet over the tent then no water will come into the vented area, if there is no flysheet and you have the normal unsealed zippered vents, you are probably missing the fly sheet and it will leak in this area.

Poles:
    Our poles are very heavy , and really difficult to bend, the poles fit tightly into their female sections, this is spring steel of high quality.

We assemble our tent and I can do this myself if need be, by first pegging the 4 corners, then assembling the bow (poles)
    Top Tip:
    We were shown initially by a friend who has used his dome for 15 years the easiest is to walk around clipping the S hooks from the bottom going upwards.
    Iíve tried all the methods mentioned above and found starting at the bottom is easier, my wife helps and I finish the top last, most often I donít bother with the last two hooks, you need to stand in the doorway on a box to clip the top S hooks (2.2M high).

Weather and Rain:
    We have experienced gale force winds and the tent was blown almost flat and it just pops back up, due to the high spring steel it handles wind like no other.
    It rained for 5 days the first time we used it and subsequent storms no leaks at all.

Sealing:
    Modern canvas doesnít require wetting to bed the seams, the seams are coated with a UV sealant at Campmor (at least ours was), older cotton seams you had to do this,
    All the canvas products Iíve designed Iíve sealed the seams with a UV tent sealer not water?

Conclusion based on your facts:
    The tent is substandard, possibly constructed elsewhere under the Campmor brand.

To repair the issues post better photos as requested of the seams from floor area to tent where they leak.
    The poles could be repaired I guess by a good metal worker, or possibly welded, just note the joins are the strength of the bow design.
    Last edited by DirtBasher; 2017/10/27 at 04:28 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DirtBasher For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DirtBasher View Post
    Hi
    Iíve been following the thread to see if you have any luck from the vendor and by all accounts you are out of luck.

We have the biggest Campmor Safari with out the enclosed kitchen veranda and prior to buying I looked at various other tent names.

We finally chose Campmor because their quality was the best, and I know what Iím talking about as Iíve done canvas builds for our own add ons.

What appealed to me was the care given in stitching , they use full felled stitched folds in high strength areas and to prevent water ingress.
    The most common areas that tents leak in the canvas bow type are where the floor is stitched to the side walls.
    If a full felled stitch isnít used it will tear and show the similarities in your photo.
    A full felled stitch is when two pieces are folded over each other
    And a double stitch line through the center.
    See photo of a rough drawing.

Name:	IMG_5032.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	465696

So further inspection and post a clear photo of that area and we can determine if poor quality is the cause.

If you have a canopy or flysheet over the tent then no water will come into the vented area, if there is no flysheet and you have the normal unsealed zippered vents, you are probably missing the fly sheet and it will leak in this area.

Poles:
    Our poles are very heavy , and really difficult to bend, the poles fit tightly into their female sections, this is spring steel of high quality.

We assemble our tent and I can do this myself if need be, by first pegging the 4 corners, then assembling the bow (poles)
    Top Tip:
    We were shown initially by a friend who has used his dome for 15 years the easiest is to walk around clipping the S hooks from the bottom going upwards.
    Iíve tried all the methods mentioned above and found starting at the bottom is easier, my wife helps and I finish the top last, most often I donít bother with the last two hooks, you need to stand in the doorway on a box to clip the top S hooks (2.2M high).

Weather and Rain:
    We have experienced gale force winds and the tent was blown almost flat and it just pops back up, due to the high spring steel it handles wind like no other.
    It rained for 5 days the first time we used it and subsequent storms no leaks at all.

Sealing:
    Modern canvas doesnít require wetting to bed the seams, the seams are coated with a UV sealant at Campmor (at least ours was), older cotton seams you had to do this,
    All the canvas products Iíve designed Iíve sealed the seams with a UV tent sealer not water?

Conclusion based on your facts:
    The tent is substandard, possibly constructed elsewhere under the Campmor brand.

To repair the issues post better photos as requested of the seams from floor area to tent where they leak.
    The poles could be repaired I guess by a good metal worker, or possibly welded, just note the joins are the strength of the bow design.

Thanks. About your TopTip.(Starting from bottom working up to top). Mine can't be done at all. The last top hooks will never reach. Mine has to be setup a specific way. Start at top first then do all other lower hooks in a pattern to spread tension.

Either way this tent & brand has been a horrible experience with too many problems. My poles & tent skin are very tight & I have no confidence in the tent's longevity. I suspect campmor just cut corners & has cheaped out badly trying to make it more appealing to the masses.

Will never touch another of their products again.

It's becoming clear this tent really needs at least 3 people to set up without stressing poles & corner grommets.

I may post some pics when I get the chance. But with lack of customer support I'm over expensive tents, better things in life to be doing than putting up with this nonsense.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast