Tsabong to Bokspits along the Molopo river

Question Tsabong to Bokspits along the Molopo river

Hi everyone,
    (Sorry for my english)
    We are a couple of french retired and we come back to south africa and Botswana for 40 days in January and February. We love these countries so much (including Namibia)
    In 2015 we spent 7 days in Mabuasehube and in the SA part of the park. It was so wonderful that we want to come again. We've drove from Bosobogolo to Nossob on the Boso trail.
    We already have our flights and car booked (Land cruiser) and are thinking about the itinerary. so we've some questions, If you could give us answers it'll help us.

Can we drive from Tsabong to Bokspits along the Molopo river on th Botswana side of the border? If we can, do we need a permit or not?

We're interesting drivig the kannaguass Kaa route to go from Nossob Camp to Kaa, I thing it should not be too difficult. is not it?

From Kaa to Mabuasehube can we drive along the fence? Perhaps it is not interesting. What do you think? Is it better to get out of the park and return to Mabuasehube through Hukuntsi?
    I hope you'll help us.
    Best regards
    Marc

Default Re: Tsabong to Bokspits along the Molopo river

Duplicated
    Last edited by Leapy; 2017/10/17 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Duplicated
    Ford Ranger 3.2 4X4 A/T
    Toyota RAV 2.0 GX cvt
    Imagine Comfortvan

Hi Marc, there are no roads/tracks that link Tsabong to Bokspits in Botswana. The quickest route would be via S.A. through McCarthy's Rust. The most scenic through the Mabhuasehube gate to Nossob via Motopi 1&2. Nossob to Kaa is an easy drive. There are at least two options. (One via Polentswa.) You can drive on the outside of the Park along the park border from Kaa to the Mabuasehube gate. You need not go to Hukuntsi.
    Ford Ranger 3.2 4X4 A/T
    Toyota RAV 2.0 GX cvt
    Imagine Comfortvan

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Leapy For This Useful Post:

Also I would use the border at Twee Rivieren and not Bokspits.
    Ford Ranger 3.2 4X4 A/T
    Toyota RAV 2.0 GX cvt
    Imagine Comfortvan

What happen to the tar road on the Botswana side going to Bokspits. I travelled from Mabua to Tsabong and then down to Middelputs into SA because we went to a farm between Van Zyls and Askam. We would have continued on that nice and quiet tar road to Tweerivieren via Botswana if we were on our way there.

2016 Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Dc
    2010 Conqueror Compact 2

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
    Hi Marc, there are no roads/tracks that link Tsabong to Bokspits in Botswana. Nossob to Kaa is an easy drive. There are at least two options. (One via Polentswa.) You can drive on the outside of the Park along the park border from Kaa to the Mabuasehube gate.
    Thank you for your reply. When I look at the T4A map, there seems to be a tar road along the Molopo River. Are you sure we can not use it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	molopo track.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	464532

Do you know if the Kaa trail (in the North West area of the park) isn't too difficult and if it can be use with only one 4x4 or do we need to be with at least one other car?

Marc
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Apologies, apparently there is a road to Bokspits from Tsabong. I don't know it.
    Ford Ranger 3.2 4X4 A/T
    Toyota RAV 2.0 GX cvt
    Imagine Comfortvan

Hi Marc
    Some wrong info given to you on here.
    There is a newish tar road.Think it was tarred in 2013.The tar road runs from Bokspits to Tsabong all along the river on the Botswana side.You enter Botswana at the Bokspits border post and then its a nice tar road all the way to Tsabong following the river.Enjoy.
    But taking this road will take you away from the KTP.
    2015 Land Cruiser 79 D/C V8 Diesel Turbo
    1983 Suzuki SJ 410 SOA.
    Bush Lapa Boskriek No 607 - Die Kriek

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LC Man For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LC Man View Post
    Hi Marc
    Some wrong info given to you on here.
    There is a newish tar road.Think it was tarred in 2013.The tar road runs from Bokspits to Tsabong all along the river on the Botswana side.You enter Botswana at the Bokspits border post and then its a nice tar road all the way to Tsabong following the river.Enjoy.
    But taking this road will take you away from the KTP.
    We travelled the road from Van Zyls to TR along the 2 spoor road in the Molopo river a month ago. Fenced both sides, no game and about 20 gates to open. You see the tar road in Bots all the time.

Hi guys, to clarify if I may.

If you are in Twee Riveiren and have already entered Bots you can drive a short distance on dirt from TR onto this new tar road, there is no need to go through Bokspits. You will in fact drive past it.

The road then carries on all the way to Tsabong. I can highly recommend it.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

We're interesting drivig the kannaguass Kaa route to go from Nossob Camp to Kaa, I thing it should not be too difficult. is not it?

Travelled from Garachab to Kaa via the Kannagausroute and from there (Kaa) to Hukuntsi to Kang in May this year. From Nossob to Kaa Kannaguasroute is easy. From KAA to Hukuntsi, no problem but for branches that will damage your car. Some nice pans for camping - pay at Hukuntsi iirc

From Kaa to Mabuasehube can we drive along the fence? Perhaps it is not interesting. What do you think? Is it better to get out of the park and return to Mabuasehube through Hukuntsi?

Travelled from Mabua to Kaa many years ago in 2004. Was for me as you say "not interesting." However it is a dream to camp at Swartpan and then you may want to use that road.

If your bookings are Nossob, Kaa and then Mabua use the fence route or better known as the cutline

Quote Originally Posted by Williepiet View Post

Travelled from Garachab to Kaa via the Kannagausroute and from there (Kaa) to Hukuntsi to Kang in May this year. From Nossob to Kaa Kannaguasroute is easy. From KAA to Hukuntsi, no problem but for branches that will damage your car. Some nice pans for camping - pay at Hukuntsi iirc

Travelled from Mabua to Kaa many years ago in 2004. Was for me as you say "not interesting." However it is a dream to camp at Swartpan and then you may want to use that road.

If your bookings are Nossob, Kaa and then Mabua use the fence route or better known as the cutline

I did do the Nossob/Kaa route last year. It is not difficult at all. We were in a Toyota Hilux 4x4 but never needed to go into 4 Low. It is a rougher road than the rest of KTP but you will see absolutely ZERO game. I did it for the hell of it although the guide at Grootkolk told me it was not worth it. We just did a day trip to Kaa and came back. Whilst the road is not difficult or by no means a 4X4 challenger course, it is brutal on the car. When we arrived at Kaa, not a single campsite was occupied in Sept 2016 - that tells you a lot about the area being devoid of game.

This is the tar road on the Botswana side. We used it from Vazylsrust to Bokspits.

Hi mlegrand,

I've not read all the comments so your question may have been answered already - but there is a very good tar road between Tsabong and Bokspits - it is called the Trans-Molopo Highway, and was completed in 2010. I drove that road in June this year, and again last week. The Bokspits border is very quiet, and no reason not to use it.

If you are staying in the South African side of the Kgalagadi, remember if you enter from Botswana, you have to spend 2 nights in South Africa before they will allow you to exit into South Africa at the Twee Rivieren border post.

Regards

Lizette

Thank you to everyone who took time to answer my questions.
    The remainding question is:
    Do you know if the Kaa trail thru Swart pan and Gnus pan (in the North West area of the park) isn't too difficult and if it can be use with only one 4x4 or do we need to be with at least one other car?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mlegrand For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mlegrand View Post
    The remainding question is:
    Do you know if the Kaa trail thru Swart pan and Gnus pan (in the North West area of the park) isn't too difficult and if it can be use with only one 4x4 or do we need to be with at least one other car?

The connecting road from Kannagaus to Kaa is dead easy and you can do it one vehicle.

Just note: it goes straight to Kaa from where you turn at Kannagaus. . It does not take you via Gnus-Gnus or Swartpan.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    The connecting road from Kannagaus to Kaa is dead easy and you can do it one vehicle.

Just note: it goes straight to Kaa from where you turn at Kannagaus. . It does not take you via Gnus-Gnus or Swartpan.
    Yes I know but what i'ld like to do when we'll be in Kaa is to do the loop "Gnus-Gnus or Swartpan"