Land Cruiser 79 alternator specs, ctek, solar and aux battery advice

Default Land Cruiser 79 alternator specs, ctek, solar and aux battery advice

Hi all, I'm looking into an aux battery system and am trying to find the alternator spec for my Land Cruiser 79 series 4.5D - from what I've found online it is a temperature compensating alternator which means that the output voltage decreases as the engine gets hotter and can drop as low as 13.2 volts when the engine is warm.

Is that correct? I'm also under the impression that it is a 100 amp output?

I've been looking at the CTEK D250S dual with the following setup:

2 x 150W poly panels wired in parallel for (18 volts 18 amps optimal operating efficiency)
    2 x OmniPower 12V 120Ah AGM/GEL solar batteries wired in parallel for 12V 240Ah

The reason for two panels and batteries is simply for redundancy and the 150W panel gives me the most return as it's spec is very close to the maximum input voltage the D250S can take which is 23 volts I believe. The panels will be fixed flat on the roof of the truck and easily taken off to place on the ground.

I have a lot of film equipment that I charge - pulling around 50Ah on a heavy day at 700 watt hours.

The idea is that when I'm stopped in a place for an extended period the solar should hopefully keep the batteries charged and of course the alternator takes over when driving.

Any suggestions etc. would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!
    2016 Toyota Land Cruiser 79 4.5D D/C

Default Re: Land Cruiser 79 alternator specs, ctek, solar and aux battery advice

Also, any thoughts on this vs the D250S?

https://www.hcdpelectronics.co.za/in...&product_id=50

Default Re: Land Cruiser 79 alternator specs, ctek, solar and aux battery advice

Sorry again, if I wanted to save money by replacing the D250S or the HCDP charger with:

National Luma smart solenoid
    Dedicated solar MPPT charger

That would save around R2,000.

Quote Originally Posted by babweupatree View Post
    Sorry again, if I wanted to save money by replacing the D250S or the HCDP charger with:

National Luma smart solenoid
    Dedicated solar MPPT charger

That would save around R2,000.
    Your calculations appear conservative, which is a very good thing when you are serious about having reliable power.

The suggested substitution of using a NL solenoid and MPPT is fine - see (*) below. It implies that charging up a well used battery when on the road will be less effective, but there will still be some reasonable bulk charging taking place. What makes up for this is that your panel provision of 300W with MPPT controller, is still conservative.

(*) The limited knowledge I have re Toyota alternators, is that they are known for a lowish output voltage of typically around 13,8V when cold (this may have changed in modern Toyotas). Should the cold voltage be higher in a modern Toyota, it will count in your favour.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggie For This Useful Post:

Looking at your demand (50Ah) I dont think you will even have to worry about coupling the aux batteries to the alternator. Say that you only have 2 hours' charging at the full 18A and then 2 hours at less like 12A then you will already have more than your 50 Ah required for the day. Having 2 batteries is also a clever move because you will probably only discharge to a depth of 25% and that way you still have a good capacity left for not so sunny days. I dont think its necessary to buy the expense Ctek... the NL will do.
    Defender powered by Isuzu

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CarloIsuzu For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the feedback!

If the alt. Voltage struggle, you can always mod the fuse in the alt sense line to give you 14.5V (hot engine), that will keep the deep cycles full and happy without damage.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jack Russell; 2017/10/15 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Russell View Post
    If the alt. Voltage struggle, you can always mod the fuse in the alt sense line to give you 14.5V (hot engine), that will keep the deep cycles full and happy without damage.

I would not do it.
    There is no free lunch.

You will suffer damage to some batteries sooner than you think.
    Eggie.

also look at the
    Intervolt DC/DC 25Amp Charger with MPPT Solar Input
    http://www.bushpower.co.za/products.asp?pid=713

mine works so well and at high temps

expensive but worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    I would not do it.
    There is no free lunch.

You will suffer damage to some batteries sooner than you think.
    Depends on the battery type i.e. GEL comes to mind. But in this case where the Alt is temp. regulated would it not still try and regulate the voltage to what the ECU wants it to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Russell View Post
    Depends on the battery type i.e. GEL comes to mind. But in this case where the Alt is temp. regulated would it not still try and regulate the voltage to what the ECU wants it to be?
    I don't know how the alternator will respond, but... don't do the 14,5V thing.

You can charge a gel battery at 14,5V, but when it approaches full status you *must* reduce the charge voltage to prevent permanent damage.

If you do not reduce the charge voltage, permanent bubbles will form on the plates that effectively reduces the battery capacity as you go along. This process is irreversible so you will be destroying the battery prematurely.
    Eggie.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggie For This Useful Post: