Botswana in a few days

Default Botswana in a few days

Hi all!

We are soon going on our first Botswana trip. So exiting! We are travelling in a Land Cruiser with roof top tent. So mostly camping.

The planned itinerary is as follows:

Leaving Cape Town Sep 30, one night at a lodge in Stellenbosch, 2 nights camping in Citrusdal and 1 night camping in Namaqua and one night closer to Namibia.

Enter Namibia at Sendelingsdrif (is that possible?) then go for 2 nights at fish river lodge. Exit Namibia at Rietfontain.

Enter Kgalagadi from SA at Two Rivers
    7-8 Oct - Two Rivers (1n)
    8-9 Oct - Nossob (1n)
    9-10 Oct - Matopi (1n)
    10-12 Oct - Mabuasehube (2n)
    Exit KTP into Botswana

12-13 Oct - Kalahari Rest Lodge (1n)

Enter CKGR at Xade gate
    13-14 Oct - Xade (1n)
    14-16 Oct - Piper Pan (2n)
    16-18 Oct - Deception Valley (2n)
    Exit CKGR at Matswere gate

18-20 Oct - Kubu Island (2n)
    20-21 Oct - Khama Rhino (1n)
    Cross border to SA at Groblersbrug

Going to Joburg

The itinerary was highly dependent on availability at the time of booking but I think it will be a nice trip.

All sorts of advice and suggestions are appreciated. We are new to bordercrossings so advices are welcone. I've read about the fires in northern CKGR. Is it still worth going there or are there any alternative routes that might be possible to book this late?

Also I'm very confused about this meat and veggie rules in Botswana. I assume we cannot bring meat since we are going towards North East, right? Where can we buy meat along the way? Inside Kgalagadi? Inside CKGR?

Regards Mattias

Default Re: Botswana in a few days

First question. Have you booked your sites in Bots?

Yes, everything is prebooked.
    //M
    Last edited by infinito; 2017/09/28 at 02:24 PM.

+1 WONDERING . We have just battled to put a trip together in late april next year and even contacted agent about same. Some periods are nearly full 7 months away from now!

The itinerary looks great, please have a wonderful time. When you get to TR in KTP, stop, take a breath and remind yourself to adjust to the pace of the bush.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    The itinerary looks great, please have a wonderful time. When you get to TR in KTP, stop, take a breath and remind yourself to adjust to the pace of the bush.
    Thanks! Nice to hear the route is good. Any experience of border crossong at those locations?

//M

You may want to consider leaving Namibia at Mata Mata and enter Botswana at Two Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by Williepiet View Post
    You may want to consider leaving Namibia at Mata Mata and enter Botswana at Two Rivers
    This, then you are already in Botswana regardless of where in KTP you are. You will have to go to Twee Rivieren to do the formalities.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

Thanks!
    Going from Fish River Lodge to Two Rivers via Mata Mata is a 9h drive instead of 6h30min via Rietfontain (acc to Google). I think the shorter one is long enough... Or is there any other good reason forentering at Mata Mata?
    I assume the border crossing to Botswana is at Two Rivers. Is it then a problem to go to the SA side of Kgalagadi and back again (within the park)?

//M

The border formalities are all done at Twee Riverien. KTP is a Transfrontier park.

I have never entered from the Namibian side but if Rietfontein puts you back in SA then you will cross into Botswana at Twee Rivieren. There will be no further border crossing until you leave Bots and enter SA again. There is no exit KTP into Bots or border controls at Mabua. This must all be done before you travel in the park or you will end up going back to TR to do the border control.

BMW R1200R

Exit Nam and enter RSA at Rietfontein. Exit RSA enter BOTS at Two Rivers vs Exit NAM at MataMata enter BOTS at Two Rivers. Most of your driving time in the KTP from MataMata to Two Rivers. A saving of two borders ie RSA and the pleasure of driving through the Park

Exit Nam and enter RSA at Rietfontein. Exit RSA enter BOTS at Two Rivers vs Exit NAM at MataMata enter BOTS at Two Rivers. Most of your driving time in the KTP from MataMata to Two Rivers. A saving of two borders ie RSA and the pleasure of driving through the Park
    Thanks for the advice. I will consider that.

//M

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    The border formalities are all done at Twee Riverien. KTP is a Transfrontier park.

I have never entered from the Namibian side but if Rietfontein puts you back in SA then you will cross into Botswana at Twee Rivieren. There will be no further border crossing until you leave Bots and enter SA again. There is no exit KTP into Bots or border controls at Mabua. This must all be done before you travel in the park or you will end up going back to TR to do the border control.
    Ok, so all paperwork in TR then we are free to exit the park at Mabuasehube gate without further paperwork. I'm a right?

//M

Quote Originally Posted by infinito View Post
    Ok, so all paperwork in TR then we are free to exit the park at Mabuasehube gate without further paperwork. I'm a right?

//M
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by infinito View Post
    ok, so all paperwork in tr then we are free to exit the park at mabuasehube gate without further paperwork. I'm a right?

//m
    yep ;d

BMW R1200R