Does Kruger passage avoid Moz cops?

Default Does Kruger passage avoid Moz cops?

Hi chaps,

Noticed a number of people going through Kruger border posts to Xai Xai and further North rather than crossing at Komatipoort/ Ressano Garcia.

Apart from the potential border crossing delays at Komatipoort, are there any other benefits to crossing into Moz from the Kruger Park?

One big benefit to me would be if you avoided the Moz traffic cops by cutting out the Maputo to Xai Xai section! Does anyone have experience of which section of road the traffic cops are more "volop"?
    Last edited by FishnChips; 2009/01/10 at 03:11 PM.

Hi I went through it in December and we passed some cops outside chokwe, luckily they were on lunch. The road on the Limpopo National Park side is quite bad and slows things down a bit. There's also the R370 x 2 passing through fee to consider.

The only guys who gave us trouble about fuel / booze carriage were the border cops but a few cold beers sorted them chop chop.

Cheers Malduik. Did you use that route for the "adventure" or is Komatipoort just as good?

we traveled though to Pomene in December we where stopped by one cop who checked our insurance and waved us on. This is the only way I will travel from now on, agreed the road is not 200% but far less traffic.
    If I was to compare the tar road, (the dirt road just after the border is an adventure especial when it rains) to the EN1 just after Xai Xai, I would say that section of the EN1 is worse.

We came back via the same route and where in and out the border post in 15 minutes, the queue at Komatipoort was 10kms on the same day

Also travelled this route in early December. Border crossing fast and friendly. Certainly quieter than Komatipoort. Beware of the speed bumps in the Limpopo Park, saw a Touareg with a remoddled nose after taking one at speed. Don't expect to see much game though... a pity. The campsite before the dam (forget the name) is worth a stop over. Saw little traffic then on but be very careful of the potholes in the stretch after the dam to Chokwe, not to mention the trucks weaving around the potholes.

Saw several cop the whole time there (Giriyondo, Barra, Pomene, Mapai, Pafuri) and stopped once on the way from Pomene. He said I was doing 69, I KNEW I was doing 60. It was a friendly enough exchange but it predictably decended to their suggestion of a "fine with an invoice or a fine without an invoice" I HATE being in those situations so took the short way out and paid the bribe. Wrong I know...

I do know though that the "Traffic Police" are out in force with many trick up their sleeves from Komatipoort on upwards on the mail road. The best advice I can give is - be doing 60kph when you pass the 60 sign and be doing 80kph when you pass the 80 sign !

But despite all that it's still a paradise.... enjoy !
    Defender Puma

That's helped a lot Splat and Derek, cheers guys

Hi F&C

we did it for the adventure and stayed over in knp to add to our trip.

Derek - when in rome... no use trying to enforce your european heritage cause you're not in europe. TIA!

We went Guinjata in December, stayed over in KNP and went through Giriyondo. The dirt road was fine up to Massingir and the tar road from Massingir to Chokwe was also in a good state - this was however on 12 Dec - when we came back on 26 Dec the tar road between Chokwe and Massingir was full of potholes due to heavy rain that occured (I assume) during the week before we returned. The dirt road to Giriyondo was also badly corrugated due to increase in traffic after 12 Dec. It rained from Chokwe to Giriyondo and the dirt road was extremely muddy and slippery. I prefer however the Giriyondo road because there are very few cops (if any) - I use the Chibuto / Chunhvene road (turn left at Chokwe) that intersects with the EN1 20km to the north of Xai-Xai - I only saw 1 cop on two trips and the road is in a very good condition - no potholes.

I was stopped by cops as soon as I turned onto the EN1 - I think it was at Chidenguele - the guy told me I was driving 68 while my GPS indicated 55. He said he wanted cash - I told him that I knew that I was doing less than 60 (finger pointing at GPS) and that I don't believe him. After a while he realised that he is not going to get any bribe and he said we can go.

The next time I go to Moz I will sleep over at Campismo Aguia Pesqueira next to Massingir dam again - done so in 2007 - very nice camping site with clean ablutions and wonderful view over dam. The problem is that if you sleep over in KNP, you can only go through Giriyondo from 08:00 when boder post opens. We only left the border post at 9:00. If you go to Xai-Xai it is fine, but if you go to Inhambane you will probably only be there at 18:00. If you sleep over at Massingir, you can leave much earlier and you have also done 70% of the dirt road to Massingir town.

Derek, I saw the Touareg as well - what a way to start (and end) your holiday - the guy must have been driving quite fast to remoddle his front like that. When we came back on 26/12 there were warning signs at all the speed bumps - I can't remember that I saw them when we travelled to Guinjata on 12/12.

I found a form half in Portugese on the website of one of the Moz resorts. See attachment.

The idea is that you record all the cop's details and that of the so called transgression and the amount paid. The hope is that when he sees the form he would let you go without any hassles. If not, then report the incident to the fax numebr indicated.

Has anyone ever used this? Is it worth a try or will the fellow throw the book at you?

Look forward to comments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stalmaat

Toyota KZTE 2001

I have carried the form/similar with me on occasion , never had to use it on any of the numerous trips over the years .
    Use with descretion , and as a last resort .
    Ive found a big smile , ten minutes of friendly chit chat and theyll let you pass , however if someone has broken the rules ie.speeding/seatblets or vehicle not in order a reasonable fine is justified . Then its just negotiation .

Be friendly , even when you feel the steam rising , its worked wonders for us .

Was stopped at Goba border , 150 litres of diesel in jerrys between 2 vehicles , i asked nicely , big smiles and promised never to do it again . Its the risk i decided to take , and they were within their rights , no bribes , just some friendly banter .