Merc shock test advise please

Default Merc shock test advise please

Hi Guys I need some advise.

When I took the merc for its service recently, I told theservice reception that they need to look at the shocks as the car has becomevery unstable on uneven road. The merc was at 46 000km. I drive up to5000km per month and have been doing so for the past 10/11 years. I normallydrive my platkarre until they their maintenance period is about to expire. Itis the first vehicle where I have experienced this “unstable” feeling. I boughtit new and there were no such issues.
    When I collected the vehicle, I was told that they (MercDealer) tested the shocks and there is nothing wrong.
    So I asked the wife to take it to a tyre place in Rustenburgthat has a machine that tests shocks and provides a graphical printout of theshocks performance.
    Both rear shocks failed the test and the front shocks are atborder line!
    I phoned the Dealer’s Service Manager and told him about it.
    His response is that there is only one place in Johannesburgthat could test Merc shocks properly and that is Regoline or Richoline orsomething to that effect. Does anybody know of them? I was to pissed off withthe comment to take note of the name.
    So based on the guy’s response I now wonder:

• How did the Dealer then test my shocks as theydo not have an electronic machine to do it and also based on the fact that hesaid that only the named company in JHB can test merc shocks properly?
    • How can they then truly state to me that thereis nothing wrong with the shocks?
    • If I get into an accident and it is discoveredthat the shocks are faulty, will my insurance pay the claim?
    • Can the Dealer be held accountable in such acase?

I cannot believe that the shocks are done at only 48 000!!

Default Re: Merc shock test advise please

Quote Originally Posted by angelblooms View Post

I cannot believe that the shocks are done at only 48 000!!
    Neither can I unless you drive unbelievably bad roads.

I suspect there is something else wrong with the suspension. Take it to a decent suspension place if possible or a dealership who know what they're doing. Are the shocks leaking any oil?
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

So I eventually phoned another Dealer in JHB and asked to speak to the workshop manager directly. I was told to bring in the car and let him know when I was there.

The manager then personally took my vehicle for a test drive and confirmed that the rear suspension ("sport suspension" I might add...) is in fact bottoming out under certain road conditions!!

They ordered the required spares and the following week my merc was sorted. Nice and stable drive again!

Dealer #1: We checked and the shocks/suspension is fine; yet I told them the vehicle is unstable around beds and feels un-safe
    Dealer #2: I told the Dealer the same and the test drove the vehicle and sorted the issue

Dealer #1 made me very unhappy with the merc brand and I started looking around for a replacement vehicle (other brands)

...then fortunately Dealer #2 came to the rescue

Glad to hear you are sorted.

What was the specific problem? Which vehicle are you having?
    Talia

2017 Mercedes AMG GLE43 Coupe
    2015 Mercedes Benz C250
    2004 Mercedes Benz ML350
    1998 Mercedes Benz C200
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5Dci (Sold)