Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Brand New Ford Everest supplied with mixed tires.

Hi, its been a while since I posted here. I need some help and advice please if you guys don't mind. Its about the tyres.

I took delivery of a brand new Ford Everest 3.2 4x4 A/T XLT last week. I love this car and it was a very difficult choice between this and the new 2.8 4x4 Fortuner, coming from a v6 4x4 Fortuner.

Everything up to delivery went great until I noticed something particular wrong with the wheels. I knew, when I read the reviews(I read ALL of them) that this specific model comes with All Terrain tyres. I was going to contact the sales person about this, but got busy until the Saturday. So on this past Saturday I washed and wax the car when I notice the spare wheel was a full size All terrain tyre.

Tires currently on the car.: Continental Crosstalk LX T110 265/60/R18 M+S

So on Saturday I send the sales person a message about this. He did not reply until the Monday, but this is where things started to take a turn for the worst. The quick responses I used to get vanished. Later the issue was handed over to the Sales Manager and then to the New car Sales manager who is very difficult to get hold off.

I send him all the details including the photo’s. He later today go back to me via a email only to tell me that he followed up with Ford SA and they told him that the standard tyres that is supplied with the car is.:

Below are the standard tyres for Everest XLT 4x4 in South Africa-
    The Standard Tyre’s:

Model Wheel Size Wheel
    Type Tyre Tyre Supplier
    All XLT 4x4 Models 18 x 8.0" Alloy 265/60/R18 All Season Continental

The Spare Tyre:
    Spare Wheel Spare Tyre Spare Tyre Supplier
    17 x 7.5" 265/65/R17 All Terrain Continental

I contacted Ford about this and they referred me back to the dealer. Then I told the manager I am not going to accept this as I phoned around and contacted multiple Ford dealers where the majority confirmed, that had stock, this specific version does comes with matching all terrains, all round including the spare. They also found it particular strange that I would have HT’s with a AT spare. Even TWT told me it does not sound good and the first time they hear about it. Believe me this is the first time I experiences this also.

The thing is, if I get a flat and I need to use that AT tyre, will it not damage my drive terrain? Mess around with the traction control that is very unsafe? Remember the 3.2 4x4 XLT is a full time 4x4 AWD system like the older Fortuner v6.

So I politely ask the manger if he can’t rectify the situation for me as it evident that my tires might have been swapped or the wrong types fitted at the factory as I ask for a full set of all terrains. Look I would understand if that tyres comes with the 4x2 version, but this is a 4x4 for crying out loud. He replied its out of his control and needs find out from Ford SA and what they will do. There is nothing he can do. He also told me that the AT fitted at the back is because its smaller and the normal version will not fit in the hole Arn't they the same diameters with the sidewall difference? He tried to convince me that it is because its a 17 inch. Ford SA tells me I must contact the dealer. It turned into a tennis game now … So I asked him did I not purchase this brand new from you? Arn’t you suppose to assist me with this and sort it out yourselves with Ford SA. Why should I become involved with your supplier? Only to be told again he needs to check with Ford SA and Ford SA need to attend to the problem. WOW!

So what must I do now? The sales person and sales manager told me its out of their hands and I need to deal with the new car manager, but he takes ages to return a call and always busy.

I mean the thing is not even a week old and does not even have 200km on the clock and already it starts to feel like I am in for a very rough ride.
    Last edited by antonCPT; 2017/09/12 at 09:23 PM.

Default Re: Brand New Ford Everest supplied with mixed tires.

Go to the dealer, make yourself at home in the dealer principal's office and refuse to leave before the problem is sorted - and yes it is a problem!!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

That's ridiculous.

there must be some better explanation!

Well, website says those are the Tyres you get...

not much to be done about that , but it's odd that you'd get an AT spare with HT road Tyres.Name:  IMG_8222.PNG
Views: 4027
Size:  161.9 KB

Thank you, I did not contact the dealer principle yet. Maybe I should do that tomorrow.
    Last edited by antonCPT; 2017/09/12 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Well, website says those are the Tyres you get...

not much to be done about that , but it's odd that you'd get an AT spare with HT road Tyres.
    Yes I know, I tripled check everything to make sure that I am not maybe in the wrong here, but when I started to phone random dealers across the country and they told me strait it comes with AT's I knew i got the wrong tyres.

What bothers me is the drive terrain and safety and no-one at Ford can give me a strait answer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to antonCPT For This Useful Post:

It is weird that the spare wouldn't match the rest of the tyres, especially seeing it's 4x4 and the vehicle is brand spanking new.

Maybe that is the way it's sold but when you've spent that amount of money you expect an answer in black and white, they should have the production or delivery manifest that states the vehicles full build spec on delivery?

That being said I wouldn't get into a knot over a single tyre being mismatched, just get it in writing from the dealer that it's as it's supposed to be. Focus on the rest of the car, it's probably fantastic!!

One lesson I've learnt over and over is that buying new/paying that huge premuim does not preclude you from issues/niggles/let down expectations/being ripped off/time wasted etc. That's why I love buying 2hnd

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Anton,
    I suggest you re-think this problem.
    1) Appoc posted a screen grab that suggests the spare size on your car is correct.
    2) I checked the diameter between your spare and the rest: the difference is 1mm or 0.1%.
    3) It poses no threat to your car's 4x4 system.

One has to assume Ford's official position is that the spare is an "emergency" wheel, like on many other makes and models

I think the level of support from the guys that sold you a brand new vehicle, for a heck of a lot of money, is shocking. But, I don't think they are wrong.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2017/09/13 at 04:44 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Roelf, I dont think the rim size is the issue. The issue is AT vs HT.
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

Why would they do this though, even if they've delivered what they promised, why is it necessary. Is it a space issue, on a large SUV?

I can understand the Marie biscuit on an I10 or a Smart, but on a SUV ... ?
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Go to the dealer, make yourself at home in the dealer principal's office and refuse to leave before the problem is sorted - and yes it is a problem!!
    <--- This
    '11 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unltd.

If you do get a puncture and need to use the spare - surely the punctured wheel should be able to fit "the hole" - i.e. attach where the spare used to be.

Visit the same and/or other dealership/s and view their Everest vehicles - you will quickly notice if this is the truth or not.

If you find one with all tyres the same - photograph with cell phone and take the matter further?

I would threaten with the consumer protection act. I think you are still within your rights to cancel the deal, I mean if you bought a R600k plus car and this sets the tone for things to come, imagine a couple of months down the line you have a more serious issue, how are they going to resolve it then? I mean if the spec of the car is one thing and it gets delivered with another that is not to the same standard, its fraud! That is not the way to start a business or any relationship.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

My Citi Golf has 14inch alloys with a steel 13inch as spare. I am ok with that. Not on a modern 4x4 surely?
    Then, to mix AT and HT tyres makes no sense.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

Quote Originally Posted by Sadi View Post
    If you do get a puncture and need to use the spare - surely the punctured wheel should be able to fit "the hole" - i.e. attach where the spare used to be.
    You have a valid point!

BTW thank you all for you input.

Here is the the photo's.:

There is 2x more other items of concern also, but I am here for the tyres.

One of the other items is this. The charged me R4300 extra for a towbar and mud flaps that is listed on ford's site as standard items on this model.:

https://www.ford.co.za/suvs/everest/...p-return-model

It feels that I am been taken for a ride and they though I would not notice it.
    Last edited by antonCPT; 2017/09/13 at 08:47 AM.

Anton, my Everest XLT have exactly the same, doesn't bother me though, at least we do have a full size sparewheel. The same apply to the XLT ranger. What's the chance of fitting the exact same type of tyre when you're finished your original set? The fact that's a cheapskate steelwheel doesn't bother me as well, rather that than a stolen alloy. Enjoy your Everest

Quote Originally Posted by antonCPT View Post
    It feels that I am been taken for a ride and they though I would not notice it.
    When Swambo got her new Everest about 2 months ago (same 4x4 XLT model) we had the exact same problems. The sales person promised that all tyres would be AT tyres but come delivery the Everest had HT road tyres and only the spare was an AT tyre. The dealer was not interested in doing anything about it, they were full of promises and excuses and no action. I got the impression from the sales person that they do not know the product they are selling and just tell you what they think you want to hear in order to make a sale. We decided that it was not worth the stress arguing with the dealer, and decided to buy better AT tyres later after about 30 000 km.

They also tried the same trick with the tow bar. Lucky for me I noticed before paying. The sales person apologised, said it was a mistake and removed the costs.

Sorry this is a bit of a storm in a teacup.

It's fairly common on newer cars to have a 1 inch smaller, often steel rim as the spare with a different tyre.

Even back in my Land Rover days the Freelander 2 upper models came with a different spare tyre sometimes.

You have a serviceable spare, it is nearly exactly the same size, it will get you to a repair / replacement easily.

Enjoy your new car - seems to be a great vehicle.
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJimny View Post
    When Swambo got her new Everest about 2 months ago (same 4x4 XLT model) we had the exact same problems. The sales person promised that all tyres would be AT tyres but come delivery the Everest had HT road tyres and only the spare was an AT tyre. The dealer was not interested in doing anything about it, they were full of promises and excuses and no action. I got the impression from the sales person that they do not know the product they are selling and just tell you what they think you want to hear in order to make a sale. We decided that it was not worth the stress arguing with the dealer, and decided to buy better AT tyres later after about 30 000 km.

They also tried the same trick with the tow bar. Lucky for me I noticed before paying. The sales person apologised, said it was a mistake and removed the costs.
    Something to remember as well is that salespeople are often given a spec sheet to learn before new cars arrive and then small items are different when they do get here.

When the Disco 4s first came on the market a few of the very early ones didn't have the advertised auto headlights, certain interior items etc etc.

BUT, as a salesperson one should learn the changes and update your pitch accordingly.

Sadly very few salespeople, especially of four wheel drives, would even realise that the HT vs AT tyre thing is an issue so they aren't likely to say anything to a prospective customer and what would have been a 1 minute discussion turns into the very unhappy OP in this thread. Communication is the key!
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by TonyJimny View Post

The charging of standard items as extras SHOULD NOT be allowed to slide.

They must refund that immediately.

Purely taking chances.
    Andrew

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast