Default Indoor Pizza Oven and Braai

Evening to all.

We just bought a guest lodge in Prince Albert in the Karoo. Karoo Views.

Current owners heat the main house with a combination of wood fires and gas heaters during the winter months.

We would like to put a pizza oven and indoor braai in the house.

House has outside braais and cooking areas for summer.

My rationale is that if we have to run fires during the days and evenings to heat the house, then why not have your pizza oven and braai on the go, heats the house and can be used for cooking as well.

Any one have experience on indoor pizza ovens and braais?

Any input appreciated.

Cheers.

Default Re: Indoor Pizza Oven and Braai

Attached photos of Pizza Oven and a braai we are copying.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5171.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	460660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5196.JPG 
Views:	221 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	460661  

Congratulations.Very nice Lodge you bought there.
    2015 Land Cruiser 79 D/C V8 Diesel Turbo
    2000 Prado 90 KZTE SWB.
    Bush Lapa Boskriek No 607 - Die Kriek

2 things.

1. the pizza oven. the proper materials cost as much as buying a premade one from Italoven http://www.italoven.co.za

the difference is that the premade oven kit works. It doesn't explode because it's made of the wrong concrete, or cheap bricks that fall on your food. the smoke goes up the chimney. that kind of thing.

DO NOT listen to the knobs that will tell you how it's too expensive to buy a premade one, and they can do it for half the price with a bucket of mud and a piece of chipboard . just don't.

Also, the 750mm diameter one is just too small. get at least the 900mm one for home use, and for a guest house go with the 1,2 or 1,5m one.

If you CAN - put in a great big heat sink around it to keep the heat in - don't leave it free standing like a bubble. and put the insulation on around the heatsink, not on the oven.

It heats the house beautifully and the additional heat sink means the cooking temp is way better.

2. Chimneys. make sure you have good chimneys... that braai will fit a whole lamb on a spit, but when the northwester blows... well. The black stuff on the walls is houding
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2017/09/12 at 07:06 PM.

Having had experience owning a Pizza oven I would like to second what Alex said. Get an ItalOven ( at least a 900 ) and ignore all the other advice. Klaar!

Depends on how much wood you have available. A braai takes a lot of heat up the chimney which doesn't really heat the house. A proper wood burning heater gives of more heat and uses less wood.

Just as a though and probably not viable for guest house vibe and more personal - why not just build a nice open fireplace and get a portable pizza maker like this for the times you want to make a pizza. I suppose for your scenario a built in oven might be better especially if you want to make several pizzas for guests.

For home use that little oven is a gem. (so sorry, might not be applicable to your thread and more for the home "user"). Best part is it goes camping with you
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by George; 2017/09/13 at 10:15 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, might not be factually correct, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Some good info coming in, thanks.

On the indoor braai, yes, a lot of heat does go up the chimney, but at least on a cold nite you can braai inside and not freeze outside. Does also add some heat to the house for sure.

At night when going to bed fire needs to be put out and a door closed or wind will suck all the warm air out the house at night, making house colder.

Same with Pizza oven. If not closed with a door, warm air will escape up the flue. Flue must be choked and door closed. This can also lead to backdraft fires and explosions so one must be careful.

The house does also have specific wood fire heaters, closed glass door type that heat up really well.

In our main room though, we want to convert our open wood fire place to a gas heater and close the chimney. Clothes etc smell like woodsmoke all the time.
    Keep the info coming.

Cheers.

Tagging along thanks for the info

Hi, our oven heats the house brilliantly. Swambo bakes bread, scones, does casseroles, pastas, pizza ..... anything you like in it.
    Might as well use it while it's cranked up.
    Hope you enjoy yours as much as we ours.

" Drive Defensively"
    1999 TD5

I spent a lot of time researching Pizza ovens and are building one now. Will PM you.

Another yes for Italoven. Works wonderfull. I ordered a door as well.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Braai 002.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	462522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Braai 001.jpg 
Views:	2054 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	462523  
    Last edited by stevan; 2017/09/28 at 08:41 AM.
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Just as a though and probably not viable for guest house vibe and more personal - why not just build a nice open fireplace and get a portable pizza maker like this for the times you want to make a pizza. I suppose for your scenario a built in oven might be better especially if you want to make several pizzas for guests.

For home use that little oven is a gem. (so sorry, might not be applicable to your thread and more for the home "user"). Best part is it goes camping with you
    Hi George is this your setup? Would like some more info please esp. about the pizza oven (where to buy) and the metal stand under it, is that a drawer under it?

Thanks
    Ant

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyhugo View Post
    Hi George is this your setup? Would like some more info please esp. about the pizza oven (where to buy) and the metal stand under it, is that a drawer under it?
    Yes, my setup. It purely the pizza oven and using those normal rooster stand you can buy at most retailers. There are several types of pizza ovens like this available, but the one I have is the original one and is available here.

The "bucket" comes from an indoor braai and yes it's a drawer underneath with little hatch to make cleaning a breeze.
    Last edited by George; 2017/10/30 at 11:53 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, might not be factually correct, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

OdM

Last idea, I also have an Italoven, works beautifully.
    But its so well insulated it doesnt really heat up anything further than a meter away from the door.
    If the chimney is open like on the above picture, different story of course but be careful for a fire hazard at the ceiling.
    Last edited by Damdan; 2017/10/30 at 04:14 PM.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ