wives and rooftop tent ladders - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: wives and rooftop tent ladders

RTT nocturnal needs - no solution for Swambo's night time urgent matters except accompanied down the ladder even at Deception Pan

For the manne - an ( empty ) bottle of StaSoft - your choice as to whether large or small ( bottle that is ) Has worked for years though you do need to be under five foot eight to kneel inside the RTT and have a strut to hang on to depending on the percentage proof of your late night intake .

My wife of 67 has no problem with the RTT ladder. She is reluctant slip in a ground tent with all the lions around, so an RTT is the only option for us.
    I cried because I had no tyres
    Then I met a man who had no wheels

Quote Originally Posted by ralton View Post
    I'm looking for comments on your wife's ability/anxiety/willingness to climbing up and down a rooftop tent ladder?
    Especially those with wives in their late 50's, early 60s.

I'm looking to purchase a rooftop tent but would like an idea on the suitability of these with SWAMBO...

I am 66 yrs old (wife) and my husband is 75 yrs old. We have done a month long trip up to Serengetti from Durban (KZN) SA as well as a few trips to Botswana's Central Kalahari and Kalagadi and numerous local weekends away in our African Outback Rooftop tent. Never been an issue for either of us, but then we are pretty agile and fit so it does make a huge difference.

A huge rule is to ensure you hold on when ascending / descending. My husband built a platform over the cab so when we climb up or get out especially in the mornings we stand on the platform before climbing down.

Anything to do with camping is of personal preference - if it works for you go for it.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bugsplatter For This Useful Post:

I'm looking for comments on your wife's ability/anxiety/willingness to climbing up and down a rooftop tent ladder?

I'm looking to purchase a rooftop tent but would like an idea on the suitability of these with SWAMBO...
    Bad for peace after 2nd wee at night.
    2009 Triton V6 3500 DC
    2007 Disco 3 V8 SE
    1999 Pajero V6 3500 Sold

We decided not to climb a ladder any more.
    The up is not a big issue 1 O'clock in the morning.
    Getting down is the issue and we have missed the bottom step a few times.

Thus now either ground tent or off road caravan.
    The Echo 4 is now in the market, a Kewer is being procured
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

Our RTT ladder attached to the top of our bullbar, which created a nice "platform", at the same height of the bonnet, handy for leaving the shoes there for example.

The bull bar also had convenient cross bars for stepping up - I know some bull bars would not work. The biggest step was unto the main lower bull bar section. If this had become an issue somewhere in the future, we could have placed a small step there, as used by the caravanners.

The most "dangerous" part for us for climbing down was at the top, where we had to grab hold of the RTT floor before getting onto the ladder. I considered fitting some grab handles here sometime but never got that far.

Hello Ralton, I have a Defender 110 with an Alu Cab clamshell tent on top. The unit is fairly high off the ground and my wife and I do not have a problem climbing the ladder to get into the tent. I am 75 and my wife is now 70, we will keep on climbing until the wheels fall off one day.

I am touching 60 and wife ... well never ask a woman's age lets just say she is not far behind and neither of us have any issues with climbing a ladder. I have often heard folks complain that a bad back prevents them from climbing on to a trailer top bed never mind a roof top, Jen has broken her back and suffers from osteo and as long as she does not try to climb down after taking her meds she is 110% capable of climbing the ladder.

The question of wee hours of the morning.. same goes for trailer top and ground tent, if there are lions outside they are going to have a great shower. Probably the best advice was from Stan in limiting fluid intake before bed time, it works. Have a few drinks too many and the fall will be further with a roof top so that is some valid inspiration to stay sober

I have a roof topper as well as a Mini and a Maxi and each of them has its place and time. For touring and one nighters nothing beats a roof topper while stays for longer in a central base camp the mini does better. The maxi is up for rental, too big for two people especially two lazy campers. A caravan is a good all rounder but it also comes with the heavy towing penalty. At the moment I am looking at options to upgrade to the solid shell roof toppers as the daily folding up and securing of the tent can be a pita. This looks like a great option to me http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...20#post3670020

One truth remains amongst all the bickering in this thread and that is that camping is king, regardless of how you do it
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Each tent to its own. We own dome tents and RTT. Did the Caravan thing till last year when I sold the Xplorer.

Love the RTT for quick outings and tours. With the youngest kid leaving the house I am changing camping style. My dream is a fully kitted 79 Cruiser. Thinking of building my own canopy or buy same sort of Abba type camper.

The idea is to be able to set up camp in a few minutes. Open the Ostrich wing, put down the ground sheet, grab two chairs and have a Glass of Whiskey in a few seconds. When bed time calls have a nice onboard shower and hop into bed. Now if it can have an onboard toilet that would be nice.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Default wives and rooftop tent ladders

Most of the RTT comments coming from couples without kids. I want to go the RTT route but with a family size RTT I have no space for Jerry cans etc on the roof rack and almost no packing space in the vehicle with a fridge/freezer in the back of aSUV. How do your guys with a family of 4 manage your packing space with a SUV? I suppose I've got the wrong vehicle for what I want to do..... I need a cruiser d/c.

Other option is to go the savuti venter type trailer with Family RTT on top.
    Last edited by Francois111; 2017/09/25 at 06:54 AM.
    Francois

We traveled with 2 x ground tents, casibo, 4 chairs, table and 4 adults in our 2.5 Ranger DC.
    Supplies for 14 days, 2 x 20l diesel, 70l fridge freezer and 2 x cases of beer.
    One cooler box with ice on the back seat and a thermal cooler in the back
    Barely fitted all into the canopy, decided not to have a roof rack.

Must say we packed and repacked twice to get all in before the trip.

We sold our road caravan after this trip.
    So once bitten we stayed with a ground tent.

Moved to TTT on the Echo.
    Climbing up an down for many years and no issue.
    Only recently starting to find nightly up and down a bit difficult.

Thus we are moving to off road caravan as small and compact as possible.
    Loaded it will not exceed the max weight of the Echo 4.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by Francois111 View Post
    Most of the RTT comments coming from couples without kids. I want to go the RTT route but with a family size RTT I have no space for Jerry cans etc on the roof rack and almost no packing space in the vehicle with a fridge/freezer in the back of aSUV. How do your guys with a family of 4 manage your packing space with a SUV? I suppose I've got the wrong vehicle for what I want to do..... I need a cruiser d/c.

Other option is to go the savuti venter type trailer with Family RTT on top.
    Francois,
    I've never had a Double cab with the kids. Been camping and travelling with a family of in a 60, 80 and 105 Cruiser wagon, from a few months old till in their high teens.
    Used larger dome tent; Aus tent; Rooftop and Dome; 2 Rooftops; 2 Rooftops and Aus tent.
    in the back has always been a 70L fridge and home made drawers. Amongst other also 4 chairs, a table and 4 seater table, 20 to 40 liter water, other than more drinking water....
    I think the key for making it possible to camp with a family of 4 in a SUV/Wagon is a well thought storage system.
    Not a fancy who made what system. Rather something build for your needs and maximising space useage....
    Patrol TB48
    Patrol TD42T
    Ex-4x4-partners:
    105 Cruiser
    80 Cruiser
    60 Cruiser
    Tdi Defender
    2.8D Hilux

http://4x4africa.co.za/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiri For This Useful Post:

Will try my best....going to Kaa area and Kgalagadi next year Arpil need to sort my packing space very quickly. At the moment I am like a afkop hoender weet nie waar om te vat en te los nie. Wil nie graag weer die waentjie karavaan roete gaan nie.
    Francois

This is one of the best discussions that I have followed in a while. Really good input and advise. Our kids are now basically out of the house and I'm busy planning how to kit out my Land Cruiser 100 VX. It has been stock standard since I got it. I'm a keep bush camper but had very limited time to do so over the years. Up to now it has been in canvas dome tents. One is limited to school holidays and you plan around the needs for the kids in most cases. When they were smaller we caravanned for many years but it was mainly setup for a week or 3 at the same place. We could kit out with most of the conveniences.

My wife enjoys camping but has a small hate of weekend trips because she says it is more work than fun. So we have never done so (even in then caravan). So all my planning is now build around making sure the setup and breakdown is minimal time, and as convenient living as possible. Best would be if we can arrive and she can sit while I quickly make camp. I've looked at trailers and they are really nice but expensive and I'm not keen on towing into heavy sand and rough terrain.

The "clam shell" type RTT's is for me a great solution. After all the positive comments here I have basically made up my mind. Most seem to have worked out ways to deal with what looks like to be 3 negatives, the ladder, getting dressed and night time loo trips. What was really positive to see is that how many older people had positive experiences.

I have great experience with a ostrich wing type awning. For me this, in combination with a RTT is the way to go.

Thanks everyone.

The one aspect of a RTT that no one is talking about is the additional height to the car. You will need a special height garage and door. For some lower vehicles it might be fine but most 4x4's will have difficulty. Now this might not hassle the wife but now she will have one more thing to complain about on all the extra money that this 4x4 thing cost us.
    Last edited by lirritma; 2017/11/03 at 07:40 AM.
    Gerrit Laubscher

Angola sempre

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lirritma For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spruceddingi View Post
    My SWAMBO is very much the clumbsy one, she was not over eager to climb up and battled to get down. What I did manage to realize was to try increase the angle of the ladder a tad more even 2 degrees flatter helped her plenty.

Also been looking into possible solutions came across this auntie, havnt tried it yet but the coggs are turning.

Will be following this thread. Thanks
    Spruceddingi, that looks like a great solution, where can I get hold of this?

Interestinng conversation. We love our RTT. After some mods even more. What I did not like with RTT's was the crappy covers that just kind of fit. Had one made with a zip all around, sized it so it would still close with bedding inside and that the form of the ladder was exact. Added a few rubber bands to ensure that I did not have to sukkel with bits and pieces hanging out when closing.
    Now it is simple. Close and zip around. I have compared times of setup and takedown with a friend owning a bundutop (lektries nochal). I took 18sec longer.
    All the other issues such as
    Fuel consumption - using a RTT vs trailer I think the difference is neglectable
    Mobility - RTT way faster. SWAMBO ist very soos in mega organised. Camp is up in 5 mins. Camp is down in 5 mins.
    Up and down - As mentioned by someone -use plakkies
    Dressing - So who is interested in seing a white bum dress undress downstairs
    Toilet - pressure rises at about 5:30. Time to get up anyway
    Animals - better than ground exept when ellies are around. Sounds like an electrolux coming to clean the tent.
    I must admit, I have not tested the access when sloshed
    2002 Discovery td5

Ok, a tiny bit off topic, but we sat around and debated the old mans tale of having a nightcap. Many stories and jokes later and a tiny bit of scientific truth came out. Alcohol is a diuretic, which means it makes you pee. So if you have a nightcap and then have that last pee before you go to bed you may be less hydrated. I have practised this for many years and rarely do I have to get up during the night, although first thing in the morning, I am ready.

A Christian friend of mine told me that Jesus turned water into wine and fed the 5000. He says that he is the opposite, he has one glass of wine and can top up the dead sea.

This is my story and I am sticking to it. That last whisky always seems to work.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOShea View Post
    RTT nocturnal needs - no solution for Swambo's night time urgent matters except accompanied down the ladder even at Deception Pan

For the manne - an ( empty ) bottle of StaSoft - your choice as to whether large or small ( bottle that is ) Has worked for years though you do need to be under five foot eight to kneel inside the RTT and have a strut to hang on to depending on the percentage proof of your late night intake .
    StaSoft? Ag nee man!
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2019/10/08 at 12:47 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Eazy Awn se tart hardshell gaan ek bekyk lyk na n puik RTT asook hulle 270 bat awning kan nie meer wag vir die off gritt afontuur nie jip jippie

Few years ago i had a echo 3 with RTT. Swambo got sick the one night, and it was up and down the ladder. After the 2nd time, she stayed at the bottom and slept in a chair. A also have to add that it is not the easiest to get a tennis ball up and down a ladder, especial if it has vertigo, and stopping it from falling of a RTT is a constant concern. Needless to say, that was the last of a RTT.
    Last edited by Pieterk; 2020/02/03 at 08:46 PM.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast