Namibia- How Sad - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Namibia- How Sad

I agree, we went from Caprivi through Etosha, petrified forest, camped at Spitzkoppe......back in 2015...the roads were already very bad and corrugated. This year we did the south around the Canyon, mostly bad as well.... I remember doing the same roads in 1992 with my little Honda Ballade, they were as smooth as tarred roads then!
    Last edited by willemH; 2017/09/18 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    I understand the concept of freedom of speech and the idea that everyone has an opinion. I would like to exercise those rights to voice mine. View them as realist views and not an attach on your post whatsoever. Please see my responses in bold.
    Hi Guys, Please comment on the unruly state of affairs in the Kruger. The facilities are not as well kept as could be, unruly tour guides and above all the employees and TAXIS running at speeds in excess of the permitted limits. Especially late afternoons toward Numbi and Malelane.

Over and above the gripes about the state of affairs it is still some of the best places to visit, both Kruger and the whole of Namibia.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JosephK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Erm.

You inspected their underwear ?
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! No, I guess he means the footwear...

Quote Originally Posted by matthieup View Post
    So after all that, what would be the best time of year to visit Nam, in term of weather, road quality and tourist volume?
    If you can handle it - go at the hottest time of year, that generally culls the numbers.
    VW Amarok V6 4Motion Highline Plus
    Defender 130 HCPU TD5
    SOLD - D4 SDV6 HSE

Red face Re: Namibia- How Sad

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    I understand the concept of freedom of speech and the idea that everyone has an opinion. I would like to exercise those rights to voice mine. View them as realist views and not an attach on your post whatsoever. Please see my responses in bold.
    Hmm what started as a report on Namibia is degenerating into a Cape Town bashing rant. I have just completed a trip through South East Namibia into Botswana and spent a week or so in Moremi. Did not see any long haired Cape Towner,s maybe they were there but unless you go and speak to them and ask them where they are from it's anybody's guess. Why just start an new "I hate Cape Town" thread so that we can stay on subject. We don't care if anyone hates Cape Town BTW.

I love Nam

I go there as often as I can, and the state of the roads will not change that

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAND For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nambro View Post
    @Bossie, I am just stating the obvious. The problems are many and in order to fix them will take a lot of money. And yes, such draconic measures will reduce the number of tourists. But mass tourism just does not lend itself to countries like Namibia or Botswana. I know this topic is very sensitive but the formula is simple. Up price, less tourists will reduce impact and allow to regenetate infrastructure that in the long term result in high income low impact tourism. Case in point was the tarring of the Sossusvlei access. And I am very chilled. But I can guarantee you, this is the way the cookie will crumble. There are many examples across the world.
    Just my thoughts up prices to RSA users lets say to R1000 for boarder crossing and levy rental cars but surly that works both ways and I don't know how people from Nam traveling to SA will feel paying absorbent fees.scary subject I am sure a lot of the solution is in using the funds available correctly.Hopefully competent people can resolve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne W W View Post
    My wife and I have just returned from a 10000 km round trip to Namibia. About 3000 km's were driven on gravel roads, 2 blowouts as a result.
    Namibian gravel roads used to be the best in Africa from previous experiences as they were graded on a regular basis. I was told that the government stopped paying the road maintenance contractors so they all decided to down tools and the roads haven't been graded for at least 6 months. Also the roads are overrun by Europeans in rented 4x4's with tyre pressure pumped to 3-bar and travelling at high speeds.
    The gravel roads around Ais-Ais Hot Springs, Fish River Canyon, Spitzkuppe, Twyfelfontein, Wondergat and Petrified Forest are the worst I have ever experienced. They are badly corrugated and very stony.
    Etosha Roads aren't much better. The parked is over run with overland busses and trucks whose clients hog the ablutions and kitchens in the park camp sites. Definitely not enough ablution and dish washing facilities to accommodate the number of people allowed to camp in the camp sites.
    Some of the overland truck/bus drivers need to learn bush etiquette as they push in front of you at sightings blocking your view so that their clients can have better views. One overland truck with a CA registration raced up and stopped right in the path of a male lion about to cross the road so that his clients could get the best photos and blocked everyone elses view.
    The Namatoni Fort which used to buzz a view years back with restaurants, bars and shops is now standing empty and in a state of disrepair and yet plenty money through tourism is pouring into the park.
    I was told by somebody in Keetmanshoop where the Minister of Tourism apparently lives that his thinking is to let the park deteriorate until some European country decides to pump money into the park for upgrades.
    Don't get me wrong, we love Namibia but sadly we wont be going back in a hurry even with the diesel price at R10.80 per litre
    I had the same experience last year when, after retiring, my wife and I did a round trip to Luderitz, Sossusvlei, Walvis Bay, Henties Bay, Usakos, Windhoek and the Fish River Canyon. We too found the roads in terrible condition and also heard that contractors had stopped working on the roads because they had not been paid. There is no doubt that the many rented 4x4's and overland trucks are not only damaging the roads, but are also a danger to other road users. I grew up in Namibia and love the country, but the Ministry of Tourism is not maintaining what is Namibia's national assets.
    Last edited by mccoppin; 2017/09/18 at 12:48 PM.

"Hi Guys, Please comment on the unruly state of affairs in the Kruger."

What part of the title referring to Namibia dont you understand?
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Damdan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne W W View Post
    My wife and I have just returned from a 10000 km round trip to Namibia. About 3000 km's were driven on gravel roads, 2 blowouts as a result.
    Namibian gravel roads used to be the best in Africa from previous experiences as they were graded on a regular basis. I was told that the government stopped paying the road maintenance contractors so they all decided to down tools and the roads haven't been graded for at least 6 months. Also the roads are overrun by Europeans in rented 4x4's with tyre pressure pumped to 3-bar and travelling at high speeds.
    The gravel roads around Ais-Ais Hot Springs, Fish River Canyon, Spitzkuppe, Twyfelfontein, Wondergat and Petrified Forest are the worst I have ever experienced. They are badly corrugated and very stony.
    Etosha Roads aren't much better. The parked is over run with overland busses and trucks whose clients hog the ablutions and kitchens in the park camp sites. Definitely not enough ablution and dish washing facilities to accommodate the number of people allowed to camp in the camp sites.
    Some of the overland truck/bus drivers need to learn bush etiquette as they push in front of you at sightings blocking your view so that their clients can have better views. One overland truck with a CA registration raced up and stopped right in the path of a male lion about to cross the road so that his clients could get the best photos and blocked everyone elses view.
    The Namatoni Fort which used to buzz a view years back with restaurants, bars and shops is now standing empty and in a state of disrepair and yet plenty money through tourism is pouring into the park.
    I was told by somebody in Keetmanshoop where the Minister of Tourism apparently lives that his thinking is to let the park deteriorate until some European country decides to pump money into the park for upgrades.
    Don't get me wrong, we love Namibia but sadly we wont be going back in a hurry even with the diesel price at R10.80 per litre

Ek moet met jou saamstem paaie baie sleg ,hulle het begin om te skraap hier van die 6de 7 de September ,maar nie eindelik verbetering nie. ,ek het 4 papwiele gekry (klippe) gelukkig het die bande monitor my vroegtydig ge waarsku. Ek sien van die toeriste ry aan die verkeerde kant van die grondpad ,ek het 2 voertuie (Britz verhuring of so iets)aan die linkerkant verby gegaan . Ek het lanklaas so baie daktent voertuie gesien , op een stadium by Sesriem 21 getel .Alte Brugge was net so baie ,tot 3 dames met 4x4 en daktent . My persoonlike opinie ,ek sal weer gaan .Maar iets wat dadelik dringend aandag nodig het is misdaad , en verblyfkostes .Dit is regtig 'n risiko om jou kamplek te verlaat sonder om enige voorsorg te tref.By 'n bekende kamplek in Swakop se my buurman ,hulle het sy vrou se handsak uit die tent uit gesteel terwyl hulle geslaap het ,op kamara vasgevang .Alle kredietkaarte en paspoorte ,die volgende dag Absa gekontak toe is glo al R37000,00 se aanlyn aankopes gedoen. Wat ek gesien het ,in Namibia en Suid Afrika ,die werkers in die kamplekke ,het geen herkenbare kleredrag nie , en jy weet nooit wie jy om jou het nie.
    Prys gewys was Alte Brugge die beste kamplek.

Mooi aand Willie F Botha

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    If you can handle it - go at the hottest time of year, that generally culls the numbers.
    April and May was quiet. a little bit of rain but nice and cool. There were a couple of places we could not go like the Nye Nye pans but next year the weather could be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Nambro View Post
    Unfortunately the roads used to be good, but that was only because half the cars used them. Gravel roads cannot be graded indefinately before they have to be rebuilt. That at a cost of approximately 1m per km. I suggest that road usage fees get trippled for tourists to refurbish the roads. In addition fees should be lifted 10 times for every park, fees should also be charged for using a toilet in the parks. All offroad driving should be prohibited due to the bad conditions of the roads.
    Somehow people do not understand that maintenance costs money...a lot of money. Funny enough nobody complains about botswana roads and they are a lot worse.
    Somehow people do not understand the need for tourism! If you bleed the tourists dry, they will stay away. It is also a proven fact that periodical scheduled maintenance, based on historical data, carried out in time will limit future maintenance cost.
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 aka "Skillie"

Previous : Defender 2006 TDI aka "Slakkie"

Quote Originally Posted by So What View Post
    Just my thoughts up prices to RSA users lets say to R1000 for boarder crossing and levy rental cars but surly that works both ways and I don't know how people from Nam traveling to SA will feel paying absorbent fees.scary subject I am sure a lot of the solution is in using the funds available correctly.Hopefully competent people can resolve it.
    I've been living in Windhoek for the past 8 months. During our time here, we've traveled quite a bit and I agree with most of the comments here about the state of the roads. I've been very fortunate not to have had any tyre loss - eyes on the road for sharp stones, lowered tyre pressure and slow speed is key, but the drawback is missing out on some of the awesome sights :O) "Stooooop!! Reverse gou!"

They've increased the cross-border permits - not by much, but they've become quite strict when issuing them. In the "Die Republikein", there was an article a while back about a tourist driving a rented car from SA. At Buitepos, they wanted to force him to pay the 16.5% (of the value of the car) import duty. Needless to say, he returned to SA. Most rental cars here are from GP and EC, but their import duties have been paid. As far as I know, it is refundable if the car leaves Namibia within 12 months. I rented a Polo once which had been here for almost 2 years, quite a nifty bonus for the Roads Authority
    2006 VW Polo 1.9tdi - Bullitt - Sadly sold
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-Dc GLX - Bogart

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bullitt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mccoppin View Post
    I had the same experience last year when, after retiring, my wife and I did a round trip to Luderitz, Sossusvlei, Walvis Bay, Henties Bay, Usakos, Windhoekthe Fish River Canyon. We too found the roads in terrible condition and also heard that contractors had stopped working on the roads because they had not been paid. There is no doubt that the many rented 4x4's and overland trucks are not only damaging the roads, but are also a danger to other road users. I grew up in Namibia and love the country, but the Ministry of Tourism is not maintaining what is Namibia's national assets.
    I traveled in April and May and completed 10500 k plus. Apart from the D2612 which converted my weet-bix to weeties, I thought the main roads were not too bad.They were actually grading the D2612 whilst we traveled on it.Maybe I was lucky traveling earlier in the season.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to redondo1955 For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4