Ithala 4x4 track condition update?

Default Ithala 4x4 track condition update?

We have booked and paid for the open campsite at Dooringkraal (krans / klip, whatever) in Ithala for the three nights before the KZN Mini Get Together at False Bay (Isimagaliso NP) for the long weekend.

This is very near to the Bivane (I think) 4x4 trail through the mountainous area there.

Given our aged vehicle etc. would it be ok for us two oldies to attempt this on our own or would someone like to join us there to do it?

We're talking nights of 19 to 21 Sep (Just before the long weekend)

Campsite has no power, is basic with outdoor showers etc,. but nice rustic, clean last time we were there a few years back.

@ R 120 pppn - so pretty fairly priced.
    Access to 4x4 trail is extra.

PM me if interested.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Default Re: Ithala 4x4 track condition update?

It's a long time since I have been on it, but from what I remember once you have crossed the main river a few hundred metres from the field ranger offices and the start of the trail, the rest of the trail is a relatively easy jeep track through the veld. In one place we got out and moved or rolled some stones out of the way - I think the baboons had been foraging.

So before you actually pay your fee, ask them to let you go and look at the crossing point / drift. If you are comfortable with that, then the rest was relatively easy.

I actually did it quite easily in a Honda CRV - the first model, that had quite good clearance. The only issue was that at the start one crossed the river diagonally and heading downstream. So when I got back, the water was damming up against the front of the vehicle and made it much deeper than in the other direction! I did not enjoy that, although it did great things for my prayer life.

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

We're heading to Ithala next weekend. Any news on the Bivane 4x4 track?
    There is a place, like no place on earth.

When we were there we were told that we no longer needed a permit to do the trail.
    As it turned out we did the trail with Leeubok (Resident at Ithala) in his vehicle since we had a failure of the CV joints on the old Suuz.
    But condition then was good.
    Check with Leeubok for current status in case of recent rain damage etc.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Most of the reserve's roads were recently fixed, so even platkarre can drive around here again (until the next rainy season). As for the bivane 4x4 track, it hasn't changed much. Elephants roll large rocks into the road every now and again so just watch out for that. Otherwise, it is still a bit rough in a couple of places where you need to be careful. Cheers
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton D/C 2.4 manual 4x4
    1998 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.0 V6
    2017 Ford Ranger XLS Auto 4x4 D/C - SOLD
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD D/C - SOLD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeubok For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys. Looking forward to the trip. Any advice on which campsite to pick? There's 6 of us on the trip.

How many 4x4 tracks are there to do in the area?
    There is a place, like no place on earth.