2nd gear problems

Default 2nd gear problems

Hi there, I've had an issue with the second gear on my cruiser for some time and at my last service at Toyota I asked them to check the problem. They bled the clutch and the shifting was perfect but it didn't last too long and now it's back to where it was before. The problem has always been on my mind and i've brought it up with Toyota but now I think I need to look around for more feedback - hence this post.

Basically the shifts from 1st into 2nd are not always smooth and by this I mean the gear sticks sometimes (clutch pedal always depressed all the way). I never force it in but it often pops in with a bit of a clack and sometimes when I'm pushing the stick into the 2nd position I can feel the gears "catching" - I always ease off the stick and let them mesh into place. That happens sometimes but most of the time it's just a "sticky shift". All the rest of the gears are fine, but 3rd to 2nd isn't always smooth but definitely better than 1st-2nd. I've tried shifting at low rpms, high rpms and have tried double clutching. I find that shifting over different rpms doesn't really make much difference but double clutching does make a difference but then again my technique is not great and there is quite a bit of delay in going 1st-nuetral-2nd but it does seem smoother.

I don't know what's going on so was hoping someone would be able to give some insight into what the problem(s) could be. I don't know anything about gearboxes etc. so some help would be very much appreciated so I can try and get this problem fixed!

Thank you!
    PS: I haven't really driven offroad for a while. All these problems are when driving around in 2WD.
    2016 Toyota Land Cruiser 79 4.5D D/C

Default Re: 2nd gear problems

Without actually experiencing it myself, its difficult to tell. However I have owned a number of Cruisers and driven a lot of others and it must be said that Cruiser 'boxes are not the smoothest around. It is quite a big lump of metal remember! Especially 1st to 2nd is normal rather notchy.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Without actually experiencing it myself, its difficult to tell. However I have owned a number of Cruisers and driven a lot of others and it must be said that Cruiser 'boxes are not the smoothest around. It is quite a big lump of metal remember! Especially 1st to 2nd is normal rather notchy.
    Thanks this is good to know! Does anyone else have something to add to this? The more feedback the better!

Roodekrans/Of die groot sand van die Kalahari

I don't think it is the clutch. Have Toyota opened the gearbox. How many Km on the gearbox. What you describe sounb like a sincro ring that helps the gears to get to the same speed once you shift. What you said about double clutch points to that.

Quote Originally Posted by K2l2h2r1 View Post
    I don't think it is the clutch. Have Toyota opened the gearbox. How many Km on the gearbox. What you describe sounb like a sincro ring that helps the gears to get to the same speed once you shift. What you said about double clutch points to that.
    Thank you for your response. I was driving this evening and thinking again to myself that although it is a big gearbox it shouldn't be shifting with this much catch - it's smooth sometimes but most of the time there's a bit of resistance against shifting which doesn't seem right to me. After Toyota bled the clutch the shifting was perfect - super smooth. Now it's back to how it was before.

They didn't open up the gearbox - they only bled the clutch. Almost at 54,000 km now.

Hoping to get more information on what I should do.

Thank you!

A clutch issue would show up on all gears, ESPECIALLY reverse.

I think it's the 2nd gear synchromesh

On 54,000km and 1 year old, surely it's still under warranty?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    A clutch issue would show up on all gears, ESPECIALLY reverse.

I think it's the 2nd gear synchromesh

On 54,000km and 1 year old, surely it's still under warranty?
    Thank you for your response jelo! Yes still under warranty and been very careful about how I drive my truck. Guess I should start talking to Toyota and see what they say...

Roodekrans/Of die groot sand van die Kalahari

Quote Originally Posted by babweupatree View Post
    Thank you for your response. I was driving this evening and thinking again to myself that although it is a big gearbox it shouldn't be shifting with this much catch - it's smooth sometimes but most of the time there's a bit of resistance against shifting which doesn't seem right to me. After Toyota bled the clutch the shifting was perfect - super smooth. Now it's back to how it was before.

They didn't open up the gearbox - they only bled the clutch. Almost at 54,000 km now.

Hoping to get more information on what I should do.

Thank you!

This is how the syncro ring looks like. What can happen is that it cracks and then it did not get the gears to synchronise before it engages.

Quote Originally Posted by K2l2h2r1 View Post

This is how the syncro ring looks like. What can happen is that it cracks and then it did not get the gears to synchronise before it engages.
    Thank you for all your feedback. Took the truck to Toyota and they drove it and their conclusion was that the gearbox is 100%. I drove in 4x4 for quite a few km after my post and I found that the shifting in 2WD was a lot less sticky although low range 4x4 shifting can be tricky at times so perhaps it was just the fact that I hadn't been in 4x4 much. I know the manual says to drive at least 15km in 4x4 per month and I do try to do 4x4 as often as I can. Anyhow all sorted and I feel at ease...

Why did it then get better when they bled the clutch? I would have the clutch master and slave cylinders overhauled, and ensure the gear oil is the correct grade.

One must remember that when you buy a vehicle "new" it could have been standing for months after manufacture, something that is not conducive to the long term life of seals. Go check the VIN for year of manufacture.

At this low mileage, it is most probably not the synchros, but get to the bottom of this, do not just accept the agents' viewpoint.
    Last edited by Ouarzazate; 2017/09/09 at 07:49 PM. Reason: web link
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ouarzazate For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ouarzazate View Post
    Why did it then get better when they bled the clutch? I would have the clutch master and slave cylinders overhauled, and ensure the gear oil is the correct grade.

One must remember that when you buy a vehicle "new" it could have been standing for months after manufacture, something that is not conducive to the long term life of seals. Go check the VIN for year of manufacture.

At this low mileage, it is most probably not the synchros, but get to the bottom of this, do not just accept the agents' viewpoint.
    Thank you for your reply Ouarzazate - I was wondering the same myself. I will bring that up with Toyota when they get back to me about my clutch.