KTP: Matopi 1 to Mata Mata/ Two Rivers in one day?





Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 2

    Default KTP: Matopi 1 to Mata Mata/ Two Rivers in one day?

    Hello All

    I've been scouting around this forum and have seen some posts regarding driving between Matopi 1 and Twee Revieren/ Two rivers, however I haven't found much on driving between Matopi 1 and Mata Mata in one day and what the current border regulations are... i.e. how to check out of Botswana and into South Africa again, the info that I did find was from 2008!

    Has anyone travelled between Matopi 1 and Mata Mata/ Two rivers in one day, what are the border procedures?

    My current plan would be to enter the park through the Mabua gate and probably spend the first night at the camp site there. Then drive to Matopi 1 for a night and then through to Mata Mata (Kalahari Tented Camp, but check in at Mata Mata first). If need be we can spend a night at two rivers/ Twee Revieren to sort out our border papers and then drive through to Mata Mata the next day.

    The possible alternative would be to enter through Kaa, spend a night there, then one night at Polentswa and then down to Twee Revieren or straight to Mata Mata.... don't know which one of the entrance routes are better.

    This would be in December 2017 and we would be travelling in one vehicle only... Is this advisable?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Age
    46
    Posts
    670
    Thanked: 224

    Default Re: KTP: Matopi 1 to Mata Mata/ Two Rivers in one day?

    Border took us 1o minutes. Long ride but no problem. It will be very hot
    Have a great time

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,258
    Thanked: 3151

    Default Re: KTP: Matopi 1 to Mata Mata/ Two Rivers in one day?

    BushcatDiaries, just back up a minute.

    First, where are you coming from before entering Mabua?
    Secondly, are you entering back into SA after Mata-Mata or are you entering Namibia?
    Thirdly, have you booked?
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: KTP: Matopi 1 to Mata Mata/ Two Rivers in one day?

    Hi

    We aren't quite sure what we will be doing before Mabua.... I've booked the SA side over the Christmas period so now I just have to figure out how to get there... We will be starting in Zim and working our way down. If all else fails we will enter KTP through Namibia and go straight to the accommodation that I have already booked. But first prize would be to go through Bots. On the Kaa side, I heard that there is a place called Name Pans which looks like a possible stop before entering through Kaa... but this is all still very much up in the air. I first have to fight with the DWNP booking system!

    After Mata Mata, we are going to Nossob for a bit but then we are exiting into Namibia through the Mata Mata gate and then we are off to Luderitz (with a stop somewhere near Keetmans probably...)!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: KTP: Matopi 1 to Mata Mata/ Two Rivers in one day?

    Quote Originally Posted by sylvia000 View Post
    Border took us 1o minutes. Long ride but no problem. It will be very hot
    Have a great time
    HI Sylvia,
    which border crossing was this?
    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,258
    Thanked: 3151

    Default Re: KTP: Matopi 1 to Mata Mata/ Two Rivers in one day?

    Ok, that helps.

    Firstly, Mabua and the SA side of the KTP is pretty much fully booked already. Somebody mentioned the other day that they could not find space Rooiputs or Polentswa. I suspect that only odd nights will be available in Mabua as well.

    Secondly, and this is a very personal opinion, I will not schlepp into Mabua for only one night there then one night at Matopi. I would rather go around on the tar via Tsabong and enter the KTP at TR. Then you can do your checking out of Botswana as well. And maybe pick up a night or 2 in TR.

    Then on to Mata-Mata and exit into Namibia. If you do go in via Mabua, you will have to go to TR to check out of Botswana before proceeding to Mata-Mata and Namibia.

    Name pans are community run, you cannot book that through DWNP.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    58
    Posts
    5,960
    Thanked: 2407

    Default Re: KTP: Matopi 1 to Mata Mata/ Two Rivers in one day?

    If you are in Mabua you are in Bots, you will need to exit into SA via Twee riverien or into Namibia via Mata Mata. Border controls are both done at Twee riverien. But AFAIK you do not have to exit Bots into SA then enter Namibia, you just do the Bots Namibia controls.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

    2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: KTP: Matopi 1 to Mata Mata/ Two Rivers in one day?

    Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Ok, that helps.

    Firstly, Mabua and the SA side of the KTP is pretty much fully booked already. Somebody mentioned the other day that they could not find space Rooiputs or Polentswa. I suspect that only odd nights will be available in Mabua as well.

    Secondly, and this is a very personal opinion, I will not schlepp into Mabua for only one night there then one night at Matopi. I would rather go around on the tar via Tsabong and enter the KTP at TR. Then you can do your checking out of Botswana as well. And maybe pick up a night or 2 in TR.

    Then on to Mata-Mata and exit into Namibia. If you do go in via Mabua, you will have to go to TR to check out of Botswana before proceeding to Mata-Mata and Namibia.

    Name pans are community run, you cannot book that through DWNP.

    Thanks, well yes, If I can find accommodation around Mabua I would probably try and hang around there a little longer. This is all very very preliminary as I'm just trying to figure out the feasibility of the route. TR seems like a good alternative and there seems to still be a lot of accommodation available there. Holding thumbs that there are still some campsites open on the Bots side haha!

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    55
    Posts
    116
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: KTP: Matopi 1 to Mata Mata/ Two Rivers in one day?

    BushcatDiaries,

    To enter into Namibia you need to get your passport stamped at Twee Rivieren. It is however not necessary to use Mata-Mata border post if you are heading to Luderitz. I quicker and shorter route is to exit the park at TR and enter Namibia at Rietfontein border post following the C16 to Aroab and Keetmanshoop. Its 336kmvs 379 km via Mata-Mata and 2 hours shorter in time

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: KTP: Matopi 1 to Mata Mata/ Two Rivers in one day?

    Quote Originally Posted by PathfinderSec View Post
    BushcatDiaries,

    To enter into Namibia you need to get your passport stamped at Twee Rivieren. It is however not necessary to use Mata-Mata border post if you are heading to Luderitz. I quicker and shorter route is to exit the park at TR and enter Namibia at Rietfontein border post following the C16 to Aroab and Keetmanshoop. Its 336kmvs 379 km via Mata-Mata and 2 hours shorter in time
    Thanks! That's worth considering.
    Cheers!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •