Kalahari August 2017 - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Kalahari August 2017

Quote Originally Posted by taraleegoosen View Post
    Lovely! So glad to hear of such great Cheetah sightings!
    Thanks for your comments Tara Lee and thanks on behalf of the forum members you so ably assist.
    1999 Isuzu Trooper - The Truck
    2002 Landcruiser 105 - The Grey Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by Anne_W View Post
    Trooper, thanks for this most enjoyable report!

We will be in CKGR for the first time at the end of January (full moon at Passarge #02).

Looking so much Forward to your next installment!
    Thank you Anne
    Passage 2 is my second favourite after Piper 1!
    I envy that full moon experience - please post pictures.
    We had a few days there in January this year and it was spectacular. Our own three lion prides up and down the valley, amazing cheetah experiences - and not another vehicle during the entire stay. It had been extremely wet and many folk were scared off and left the reserve (often after getting stuck). We even came across some professional guides who got stuck just near Passage 1. If wet (or even if it isn't) stick to the tracks!
    We had a huge problem in Passage 2 with ants for the whole stay. They swarmed the ground areas from up past the shower facility right down to the track next to the pan. Impossible! We thought it might be short term, but they never went away. They never got into the tents or the vehicle, however. If they are there, move off and camp elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Thanks Trooper, lovely report to ingest, as usual .

P.s. I am not so hungry as usual when reading your reports, you left out the menu , but I guess you won't have lost weight in the process
    I have relented, Part 4 has quite a bit about camp cuisine! Just needs editing before I post.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to trooper For This Useful Post:

Default Kalahari August 2017 Part 4

Season finale - part 4
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trooper For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: Kalahari August 2017 Part 4

Quote Originally Posted by trooper View Post
    Season finale - part 4
    ...marvelous tales and advice...thanks Trooper

Thumbs up Re: Kalahari August 2017 Part 4

Season finale - part 4
    ...marvelous tales and advice...thanks Trooper

Thanks Trooper for the fulfilled promises, great ideas in baking and sensor lights, makes life more comfortable and adds some fun.
    Great write-up with the usual attention to details
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Motion sensor lights, tire pressure monitors, Woolies pre packed AND making use of a sleeping bag! You're turning into a soft roader Trooper redeemed by the goat potjie

Love the Brownie image, conveys a great sense of solitude and those falcon images are from the top draw!

Thanks as always for an entertaining trip report.
    2004 Facelift Disco 2 - Raine - sold
    2006 Defender 110 csw - Jaeger

"Land Rovers don't get stuck, people do, so always look before you leap and if you're unsure, don't do it" Chris Horne

2019 Going back to Kgalagadi but this time without air suspension

Hi there thank you for report as it was extensive. We were also at Lesheloago 2 in August , think 9 to 11 and we were appalled by the use of the Bush as toilet facility until we went into the " Official " long drop. Don't know how humans, if you could call them that , have used these facilities. If the condition of the toilet was left by campers before us , I would hate to see their own toilets at home.The big hole for garbage and ash next to the long drop confused us and like yourselves we spent about 3 hours cleaning up the " Bush daisies " ( read toilet paper ) from the area both behind AND in front of A frame .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piper1.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	460388Thanks for the report sir! We left Piper 1 on August 2nd. We were supposed to leave on the 3rd but this was my first time towing in Botswana so I had miscalculated driving times by a factor of 2! I had originally planned on leaving the 3rd and driving to Maun but we left a day early and stayed at Matswere gate.

Those guinea fowl were quite something. Very determined to get to their tree. Even with us standing there, they would walk up within a few metres before flying up. Glad to see the lion and the 2 cheetahs were still there. This was our setup.
    Last edited by marlonh; 2017/09/10 at 10:21 PM.

Time again to share some information and memories.
    Thanks Trooper, a delightful read. Wonderful sighting of the elephants in the CKGR. Loved the moon scapes too!
    I do agree that educating visitors to the Kalahari (be that at the gate or by way of a rather large rule book when entering) will indeed save this magnificent sanctuary for years to come. But then again some folk just don't give a Sh.t !
    Glad you reported the perpetrators.

How very sad to hear my favourite camp site Lesolago 2 is not being respected. My last trip report there mentioned the 4 Hyena that visited and harassed us daily and many seemed surprised that spotties were there at all. Being one of my favourite animals, I have a lot of time for them although they can be pesky.

Thank for all the instalments and the time and effort. New tips and tricks are always fun and your reviews on gear is most welcome. I will take note of the Ramatlabama route and try that on the next Mabua trip.

Much respect.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Thumbs up Re: Kalahari August 2017

I have never been to Kgalagadi but am edging up to being too old. However, this article and photos set alight that dream once again!
    Thanks very much,
    Johan

Quote Originally Posted by johanvanblerk View Post
    I have never been to Kgalagadi but am edging up to being too old. However, this article and photos set alight that dream once again!
    Thanks very much,
    Johan
    It is such a different environment to for example, Kruger. The diversity of wildlife and the quantity never leave you disappointed. Accommodation is varied to suit everyone and it is very easy to .... take it slow.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Thanks Trooper for the fulfilled promises, great ideas in baking and sensor lights, makes life more comfortable and adds some fun.
    Great write-up with the usual attention to details
    Pleased you enjoyed the report back, KS

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Newnham View Post
    Motion sensor lights, tire pressure monitors, Woolies pre packed AND making use of a sleeping bag! You're turning into a soft roader Trooper redeemed by the goat potjie

Love the Brownie image, conveys a great sense of solitude and those falcon images are from the top draw!

Thanks as always for an entertaining trip report.
    ..........you are invited on our next expedition to -7 degree conditions.
    Otherwise, thank you for those additional kind comments, Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick miller View Post
    Hi there thank you for report as it was extensive. We were also at Lesheloago 2 in August , think 9 to 11 and we were appalled by the use of the Bush as toilet facility until we went into the " Official " long drop. Don't know how humans, if you could call them that , have used these facilities. If the condition of the toilet was left by campers before us , I would hate to see their own toilets at home.The big hole for garbage and ash next to the long drop confused us and like yourselves we spent about 3 hours cleaning up the " Bush daisies " ( read toilet paper ) from the area both behind AND in front of A frame .
    Hi Peter
    Thanks for the feedback. Not a pleasant experience.

Quote Originally Posted by marlonh View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piper1.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	460388Thanks for the report sir! We left Piper 1 on August 2nd. We were supposed to leave on the 3rd but this was my first time towing in Botswana so I had miscalculated driving times by a factor of 2! I had originally planned on leaving the 3rd and driving to Maun but we left a day early and stayed at Matswere gate.

Those guinea fowl were quite something. Very determined to get to their tree. Even with us standing there, they would walk up within a few metres before flying up. Glad to see the lion and the 2 cheetahs were still there. This was our setup.
    Hi marlonh
    What a great picture! you have a great rig and campsite layout, captures the essence of CKPIP01
    Regards
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by kirkfort View Post
    Thanks Trooper, a delightful read. Wonderful sighting of the elephants in the CKGR. Loved the moon scapes too!
    I do agree that educating visitors to the Kalahari (be that at the gate or by way of a rather large rule book when entering) will indeed save this magnificent sanctuary for years to come. But then again some folk just don't give a Sh.t !
    Glad you reported the perpetrators.
    Hi Kirkfort
    So pleased to see you are still patrolling the forum. I did a bit of mining on your profile to see if you have come across to visit again, but did not see any evidence. CKGR is still great. Come out for one of your epic tours and report back. Now that would be something.
    We never seem to get on top of this education thing. I remember seeing lists and pledges from folk as to how they conduct themselves in the wilderness, but it all fades away again. Maybe some new ideas needed, like your rule book, signed when you enter and some honorary rangers as we have in some reserves in RSA. I would sign up!
    Regards
    Frank
    Last edited by trooper; 2017/09/11 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    How very sad to hear my favourite camp site Lesolago 2 is not being respected. My last trip report there mentioned the 4 Hyena that visited and harassed us daily and many seemed surprised that spotties were there at all. Being one of my favourite animals, I have a lot of time for them although they can be pesky.

Thank for all the instalments and the time and effort. New tips and tricks are always fun and your reviews on gear is most welcome. I will take note of the Ramatlabama route and try that on the next Mabua trip.

Much respect.
    Thanks Stranger, so sorry to bring bad tidings. Always great to get your feedback.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast