New to the world of 4x4... Help! Daihatsu Terios VS Suzuki Grand Vitara

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default New to the world of 4x4... Help! Daihatsu Terios VS Suzuki Grand Vitara

Hello Everyone.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, i am soon to joining the world of 4x4s but slightly confused with all the options.

I am looking for a 'small' 4x4 SUV. My price bracket for a second hand is R130/R150k hence why i am looking at the 2 mentioned in the title. I am looking for a vehicle that i can take to Mozam, Sani Pass, The Berg.

Something not heavy on Petrol or that wont cost an arm and a leg for services and parts.

Any recommendations / views would be great!

Thanks a mill

Default Re: New to the world of 4x4... Help! Daihatsu Terios VS Suzuki Grand Vitara

"Not too heavy on petrol"

That leaves the Suzuki out. As much as I'd like to own one, the fuel consumption scares me a little.

Default Re: New to the world of 4x4... Help! Daihatsu Terios VS Suzuki Grand Vitara

I am speaking under correction, but I think the first has no low range and the second probably has low range. This makes a big difference in the capabilities of the vehicle when you get into difficulties.
    I think the Daihatsu Terios also no longer has a franchise in RSA, so you may start experiencing problems for parts, etc. (They do have a connection with Toyota, but Toyota never kept parts for Daihatsu).
    Another option is maybe the Duster, but I also do not know a lot about them. Have HEARD that parts and services are expensive...
    The popular Jimny is another option, but this may bea bit small for you if you need a family vehicle.
    Good luck with your decision...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to haboob For This Useful Post:

SWB Pajero 3.2 DID ?
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Secondhand Mahindra Scorpio SUV 4x4
    1998 Jeep XJ
    2016 Mahindra Thar(sold in 2018)
    https://www.instagram.com/terencejohnstone/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Terencej For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by haboob View Post
    I am speaking under correction, but I think the first has no low range and the second probably has low range. This makes a big difference in the capabilities of the vehicle when you get into difficulties.
    I think the Daihatsu Terios also no longer has a franchise in RSA, so you may start experiencing problems for parts, etc. (They do have a connection with Toyota, but Toyota never kept parts for Daihatsu).
    Another option is maybe the Duster, but I also do not know a lot about them. Have HEARD that parts and services are expensive...
    The popular Jimny is another option, but this may bea bit small for you if you need a family vehicle.
    Good luck with your decision...
    Service is cheaper than my ford and most parts are freely available in the market as it shares a lot of mechanical components with Nissan.
    Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4WD

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JuanB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RGdbn View Post
    Hello Everyone.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, i am soon to joining the world of 4x4s but slightly confused with all the options.

I am looking for a 'small' 4x4 SUV. My price bracket for a second hand is R130/R150k hence why i am looking at the 2 mentioned in the title. I am looking for a vehicle that i can take to Mozam, Sani Pass, The Berg.

Something not heavy on Petrol or that wont cost an arm and a leg for services and parts.

Any recommendations / views would be great!

Thanks a mill
    It depends on who and what you want to carry along. The Jimny is great and maintenance most probably the cheapest you will find. That said its not very big. The Grand Vitara is big and might cost you at the pumps etc

Give us more info then I can help you a bit more
    Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4WD

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JuanB For This Useful Post:

Thanks @JaunB !!

Ok so i should have mentioned , i do not want to look at the Jimney because for exactly that - too small, 3 door and not an ideal family car.

So for the time being this will be my day to day car and then for holidays. It is just my husband and myself and perhaps friends who join us, no kids int he picture just yet, but will expect to still have this car when kids do come along..

I am not going to be heading off to do 4x4 tracks etc. rather just looking for a 4x4 that can take me on a few adventures in and around SA.

Cheers

I might be a little biased but have you considered a Forester?
    Excellent on dirt and sand, so should get you to where you'd like. Also nice and spacious, and are pretty reliable.

A little heavy at the pumps though, especially the turbo versions.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to StefMau For This Useful Post:

I would say the Grand Vitara if I had to choose between those two but I am biased. The GV is bigger, more powerful and more comfortable than the Terios. But get a manual 2.4 as the fuel consumption is FAR better at around 8-9l/100. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Terios if you don't need low range. Had one as an office car and it did 250k km without any problems at all. Don't know about the dealerships. Renault is fine parts wise......unless it's something unusual then you will wait for parts.
    2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    2012 GWM Steed 5 DC 4x4 TCI - Sold
    2002 Isuzu Frontier 280dt LX 4x4 - Sold
    2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 3dr - Sold

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kippie2 For This Useful Post:

First you need to decide if you need low range.
    Then we can give advice

That original Ford Everest wasn't a bad vehicle (just looked old & couldn't compete with the Fortuner), they go for next to nothing 2nd hand.

Big.
    Powerful.
    Tough.
    Same cost per km as a Terios or Suzuki GV.
    More than capable enough for your needs.
    Not too expensive to maintain.
    Far better ride than the Terios.
    More dealerships than the Suzuki.
    Better potential resale value than the Terios or GV.
    From an era before Fords caught alight & popped turbos.
    From before Ford appealed to tappits, so there is no Waptor kit that the previous owner could have glued on...

Last edited by Mad Manny; 2017/08/28 at 06:23 PM.

I would suggest a 4x4 with low range, it really helps if things go pear shaped, gives you that extra piece of mind, like Manny says, the 1st generation Ford Everest is a really good value buy, it's good on juice, the 3.0 diesel engine has good power and if need be can fit 7 people. Not much comes close to it in overall package at that price. And it comes in 2x4 if you don't need the 4x4.
    Last edited by Wave; 2017/08/28 at 06:30 PM.
    Geoff Craig
    '98 Suzuki Samurai - Sami the Samurai
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Wave For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: New to the world of 4x4... Help! Daihatsu Terios VS Suzuki Grand Vitara

Thanks Mad Manny

I guess i missed this one as i have only been searching in KZN.

Think i will need to open up my search to CT and JHB as there is nothing in KZN!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    That original Ford Everest wasn't a bad vehicle (just looked old & couldn't compete with the Fortuner), they go for next to nothing 2nd hand.

Big.
    Powerful.
    Tough.
    Same cost per km as a Terios or Suzuki GV.
    More than capable enough for your needs.
    Not too expensive to maintain.
    Far better ride than the Terios.
    More dealerships than the Suzuki.
    Better potential resale value than the Terios or GV.
    From an era before Fords caught alight & popped turbos.
    From before Ford appealed to tappits, so there is no Waptor kit that the previous owner could have glued on...

^ This.

Mmmm

My biased opinion:

I really really like the GV, spacious, auto, comfy, modern, capable, NOT TOO HEAVY ON FUEL (not light either.. Lol), nice looking, big boot, decent towering power, quality reliable motor (from what I hear), good on and off road..
    VS
    Terios.. Not so capable, ugly, maybe 2 dealerships, lacking towing power but light "ish" on fuel..

I would be rather considering aJimny than a Terios..

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Quake For This Useful Post:

Suzuki Jimny is probably the best small 4x4, and light on fuel .... but as you indicated, too small for you.

The Daihatsu is the next option. But Daihatsu has withdrawn from SA. It is sold overseas with a Toyota badge, and use the same 1500cc motor that is in many of the Toyota models. Body panels and such will gradually become scarce ... PITY !! VERY nice vehicle !!! Small enough in town, yet ample space for the occupants. Just enough grunt, yet light on fuel .... I might still take this over some of the other options.

From here you move to the "shorties" - Pajero, older RAV4, and few others. Mostly small bodies with larger motors. Nice vehicles, but be ready to pay for the smile factor when you top up the gas tank ...

As a RAV4 owner I may not be the most objective .... NICE vehicles !! But they dont go cheap ....

Suzuki Vitara is a nice size. But they are scarce, so you are probably looking at a Grand Vitara .... nice, but is known to be thirsty

Older Ford Everest may be an option. NICE vehicle, but crap 2nd hand value ... too bad for the first owner, good news for you

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Elders For This Useful Post:

But, does he want a diesel?
    We really need more info

@Ocin, i think you mean 'she'.

As mentioned i am new to the 4x4 world. And so I ask, what other information would you require to give a valid comment?
    Petrol/Diesel - i am not fussy since my budget doesn't allow that.

Thank you EVERYONE for your comments thus far, really has been a great help, given me some homework and i a lot to think about - which i do appreciate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast