New to the world of 4x4... Help! Daihatsu Terios VS Suzuki Grand Vitara - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: New to the world of 4x4... Help! Daihatsu Terios VS Suzuki Grand Vitara

Hi was voor dieselfde keuse ruk terug, het Terios gekoop en was nog nie spyt nie. Net ek en SWAMBO. Ek het die 4x4 met difflock, en het begin Aug die Baviaans gery sonder probleme , ook in Ooskaap op privaat palaas kwaai slegte dele gery, en difflock maak verskil!
    Brandstof op Terios isoor 2100km rit , teen 110 km so 12 na 13 km/l en teen 120 so 11km/l.
    Die toetsrit in Jimney was vreesaanjaeend in Kaap want suidooster het toe gewaai... en bietjie klein vir my lengte..
    Hoop dit help! Onderdele seker skaars maar skrootwerwe in Jhb en Kaap het soms onderdele in voorraad.

PS was met my ou Honda CRV 1999 ook die Sani uit!! Sooo jammer ek het dit verkoop..
    Tom , Durbanville

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TomM For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New to the world of 4x4... Help! Daihatsu Terios VS Suzuki Grand Vitara

Quote Originally Posted by RGdbn View Post
    Oh well then that is great to hear then - thank you I really think its a cute car even though alot think its 'ugly' !!! Also did Mozam in it and it did very very well!!
    I did the 4x4 off road suspension conversion (new coils front and proper off road pro comp shocks at the back. This made a real difference in trying conditions (it handled axle twisters with ease) and you could load the back without it sagging too much. Thick sand was no challenge for this car either

Recently considered to scale down from a Discovery 3 (which I still thoroughly enjoyed at 215 000 km) and had a similar problem: smaller than Disco, lighter on fuel, capable to go almost everywhere I may want to, affordable, reliable, good service and parts network. I considered basically ALL the SUV's, and eventually shortlisted it to the Suzuki Grand Vitara (for the low range), Subaru Forestor (from 2012 onwards because of new engine with cam chain instead of belt which sometimes gave problems), and the Land Rover Freelander 2.
    I read every review available and watched every You Tube clip, including some showing Russians testing cars by driving them into a swamp, some superficial road tests by a Brit, some decent Aussie reviews, etc), and then decided on the Freelander 2.

The Freelander 2 (make sure NOT the Freelander 1, which was a dud) comes with either petrol or diesel engine. The diesel is available as the TD4 or the SD4, with the latter having two turbos and more power. I took the SD4. It has Land Rover's Hill Descent Control and Terrain Response System which I know from the Discovery, and it is excellent, providing for various type of surfaces. The car is nippy, spacious yet compact, seats 5 easily and comfortably, back seats fold down to a flat extended boot, and the interior is classy.

Best news is with the the Freelander replaced by the Discovery Sport (basically same undercarriage, engine and gearbox, different body and trimmings), one can get a good Freelander 2 within your budget. I shopped around for 2 months and eventually got the best buy from We Buy Cars in Pretoria, had it thoroughly tested by Walter at Land Rover Extreme, and is happy with it. Only slight dissappointment so far is that fuel consumption is not that so low as I expected. But then I do have a heavy right foot ......

My advice is that the Freelander 2 is by far the best choice in the small/medium SUV category.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ad_venture For This Useful Post:

Red face Re: New to the world of 4x4... Help! Daihatsu Terios VS Suzuki Grand Vitara

HI All,

Thank you for your help.

Looks like i am going Suzuki GV 2.4 Auto 4x4 with 132000 kms on the clock.

Thank you for everyone's time and input .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RGdbn For This Useful Post:

ENJOY !

Welcome to a whole new life style ....

Sien hier is klompe menings en bespiegelinge oor wat die nuwe Suzuki Jimny gaan wees.....
    Lyk my die link is die nuutste "skindernuus" oor die outjie.....
    Het dit gekry uit n websitre waarop ek ingeteken is hier in Australia.

Kyk gerus.......

https://mr4x4.com.au/2018-suzuki-jim...sletter+%23186

Quote Originally Posted by RGdbn View Post
    HI All,

Thank you for your help.

Looks like i am going Suzuki GV 2.4 Auto 4x4 with 132000 kms on the clock.

Thank you for everyone's time and input .
    Excellent choice, hope it will serve you well and please post a picture in the suzuki section when you have it.
    Erich Visser
    2015 Suzuki GV 2.4 m/t 40mm lift and Bash Plates
    2015 Off Trax Outplay Trailer
    2006 Mercedes A170 (Swambo's)
    1996 Mazda Magnum 2600 D/C 4x4 (Sold)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3