New to the world of 4x4... Help! Daihatsu Terios VS Suzuki Grand Vitara - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: New to the world of 4x4... Help! Daihatsu Terios VS Suzuki Grand Vitara

Kry n Rav4 baie betroubaar

Default Re: New to the world of 4x4... Help! Daihatsu Terios VS Suzuki Grand Vitara

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Venter View Post
    You won't find a RAV in the OP's price range with much under 180 000km.
    At that mileage, reliability becomes subjective...

My family, for some odd reason really like their Suzuki vehicles. My dad owned a SJ413 Samurai and now owns a 3.2 V6 GV and he swears by them, in fact he secretly prefers the GV over his Mitsubishi Outlander... His GV has about 100 000KM on the odo but still looks and feels brand new, the V6 has quite a bit of grunt and returns 10KM/L on the highway, although this changes to around 7.5KM/L in town when driven sedately.

My uncle owns an ancient 90's 2.5 V6 GV with 500 000KM on the odo. If you know "that" side of the family this is a minor miracle as they are not known for being gentle on cars and yet that little Suzuki soldiers on and on.

My BIL also had a 90's V6 GV and survived a head-on collision with a taxi that saw fatalities on the taxi side without much more than a few scratches. For the record, up to that point it had been the most reliable vehicle he ever owned with well over 250 000KM on the odo.

Personally I have huge respect for Suzuki, they design and build well thought out vehicles.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RGdbn View Post
    @Ocin, i think you mean 'she'.

As mentioned i am new to the 4x4 world. And so I ask, what other information would you require to give a valid comment?
    Petrol/Diesel - i am not fussy since my budget doesn't allow that.

Thank you EVERYONE for your comments thus far, really has been a great help, given me some homework and i a lot to think about - which i do appreciate.
    My apologies. But I couldn't guess your sex from your username

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ocin For This Useful Post:

I suggest you gather a list of possibles within your requirements and then go and drive all of them, preferably at the same age and km's you will be buying, even the one you are not sure of, one may surprise you.
    One will stand out for you. For example I test drove the 2.4 lt GV as I couldn't find a V6 in Durbs. Didn't enjoy it at all. Started doubting my decision to buy the GV......until the first test drive of the V6. I simply had to have it. It ticked all the boxes for me.
    2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    2012 GWM Steed 5 DC 4x4 TCI - Sold
    2002 Isuzu Frontier 280dt LX 4x4 - Sold
    2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 3dr - Sold

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kippie2 For This Useful Post:

From the 2 I would vote GV.
    I would also like to add chev trailblaser. BIL bought one for a steal and it is a really good ride. I know they are leaving but I think that will not be a big issue. Maybe other opinions on this?
    Pieter

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bones For This Useful Post:

The manual GV is not that heavy on fuel. If you use it for a weekend vehicle doing mostly highways you will see 10 km/l in the manual and 9 km/l in the auto. That is very much on par with the real-world consumption of other full time 4WD vehicles (even the diesels).

GV Cons

• GV does have limited dealerships,
    • parts are expensive,
    • there are no aftermarket substitutes (like Goldwagen)
    • Fuel economy will be worse than Terios

GV Pros
    • Much more luxury
    • Much more capability
    • Much more power
    • Much more smile
    • Larger vehicle
    • Very comfortable at 120km/h
    • Still a simple, mechanical (not much electronics) vehicle with naturally aspirated dependable engine
    • My gut says it is safer in terms of road-holding ability and crash protection (airbags and cabin capsule)
    • New buyers lose a lot on devaluation (this is actually a pro for you, because you buy secondhand)

Terios cons

• Opinion - Looks like a hairdresser's car
    • Unrefined (think Avanza vs Rav4)
    • Small
    • Too little power
    • Diahatsu withdrawing from SA

Terios pros

• Lighter on fuel
    • Even simpler than GV
    • Maintenance should be cheap

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SuzukiPiet For This Useful Post:

For me it is a simple choice:

Daihatsu withdrew from the market, Suzuki not. If these two are your only options, and considering it will be 2nd hand, go with Suzuki.

Perhaps I can add that the GV has a VERY VERY good physical size for two people touring:
    • It has LOADS more space than a shorty pajero,
    • It is smaller than the fortuner/everest/pajero bunch, which makes for brilliant dirt road handling! It does not feel like a ship on a dirt road. It is nippy, it stops when you brake, it goes when you accelerate and it turn when you turn. Try one on a dirt road. Worth it!
    • It has five doors (and seats) with luggage room for when the kids come

All the other vehicles in this class has no low range: Freelander, Forester, Rav4, X-trail, CR-V.

The rear seats are also easily removed (takes me 10 min), which makes for lekker overlanding.
    Last edited by SuzukiPiet; 2017/08/29 at 08:54 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SuzukiPiet For This Useful Post:

Are we really comparing a GV to a terios?
    It seems a bit pointless.
    Can the OP please specify her requirements.

Do you need low range?
    What fuel consumption can you live with?
    How much money are you willing to spend on repairs?

Between the two cars in the original question I would take the Suzuki GV.

Reasons are it is a lot more car for the money, bigger more powerful engine, more space, more luxury, it has low range and Suzuki is still present in SA and Daihatsu has left so parts and service will become an issue.

It's a no brainer.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KurtG For This Useful Post:

Thanks @JaunB !!

Ok so i should have mentioned , i do not want to look at the Jimney because for exactly that - too small, 3 door and not an ideal family car.

So for the time being this will be my day to day car and then for holidays. It is just my husband and myself and perhaps friends who join us, no kids int he picture just yet, but will expect to still have this car when kids do come along..

I am not going to be heading off to do 4x4 tracks etc. rather just looking for a 4x4 that can take me on a few adventures in and around SA.

Cheers
    We did various trips in South Africa and also overlanding trips to Namibia and Botswana. It has more than adequate packing space, it's fairly light on fuel and service cost should be low as well. It share the same engine and drive train as the Toyota Avanza. It is perfect for sandy tracks and dirt roads.

Thanks Paul, i am not underestimating the Jimney at all, have done a quite a few adventures in it with friends to Mozam but it is waaaaay to small and we usually have to load someone elses car with all our luggage as that boot can barely fit 2 bags!! And i am def wanting a 5 door - 3 doors are way to frustrating letting people in and out, especially when kids come!!!

https://www.autotrader.co.za/used-ca...9hc2Mvc2VhcmNo

This would be my recommendation... 2007 Jeep GC 3.0 Diesel - Merc engine i believe... But find one with a full service history...
    "I am a hypocrite but i try not to be..."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Quirky For This Useful Post:

Thanks Paul, i am not underestimating the Jimney at all, have done a quite a few adventures in it with friends to Mozam but it is waaaaay to small and we usually have to load someone elses car with all our luggage as that boot can barely fit 2 bags!! And i am def wanting a 5 door - 3 doors are way to frustrating letting people in and out, especially when kids come!!!
    Sorry for not being clear but I was actually referring to the Terios

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Botha For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Botha View Post
    Sorry for not being clear but I was actually referring to the Terios
    Oh well then that is great to hear then - thank you I really think its a cute car even though alot think its 'ugly' !!! Also did Mozam in it and it did very very well!!

I had a 2.4 Manual GV and I got 10km/l with it on the open road. For what you require that would be the best option. Nothing wrong with the Terios but like most have said Daihatsu is gone.
    2015 Isuzu KB250 D/C 4x4 LE - Mine / 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 Auto - Hers

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Samaya For This Useful Post:

Double post
    Last edited by Samaya; 2017/08/31 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Double post
    2015 Isuzu KB250 D/C 4x4 LE - Mine / 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2l V6 Auto - Hers

Hello Everyone.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, i am soon to joining the world of 4x4s but slightly confused with all the options.

I am looking for a 'small' 4x4 SUV. My price bracket for a second hand is R130/R150k hence why i am looking at the 2 mentioned in the title. I am looking for a vehicle that i can take to Mozam, Sani Pass, The Berg.

Something not heavy on Petrol or that wont cost an arm and a leg for services and parts.

Any recommendations / views would be great!

Thanks a mill

I own a Suzuki .
    You can work out the economics - not wise to buy a "expensive " car because it is light on fuel . You will never make up the extra fuel buying a more expensive car which use less .
    The Suzuki is more powerful , all wheel drive ( much safer ) with proper low range .

First new car I bought that had ZERO problems , no rattles etc .

Insurance is dirt cheap as they don't steal them !
    6 year service plan

Stay away from petrol SWB Pajero - 16 l/ 100km .

You will not be sorry buying the Suzuki !!

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Venter View Post
    ou RAV 4 het geen low range !

Nuwe is slegs Top of range AWD en PRICY !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast