Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2008 3.2DiD Water Pump (4m41)

Hi

I have a 2008 SWB that has recently started to squeal when cold. Typical belt slipping/dry bearing sound. I have 127k on the clock.

I got new belts not knowing when they were changed last changed(only mine for the last 25k). While off i noticed a little bit of play on the water pump.

Replaced belts and the sound remains. Removed all all belts, dead quite. Added alternator belts, noise returns.

If i slightly over tighten the AC belt, the noise goes away, presumably because im changing the load on a bearing.

This leaves me with two options, alternator bearing or waterpump. Alternator feels solid and spins very well. Waterpump also spins freely, but as mentioned there is a very slight bit of play.

I dont see much on on the forums about these failing, but had a 99 Pajero with a water pump that failed when i ignored squealing warning.

Do these pumps go? Lack of info on the net seems to indicate not.

Default Re: 2008 3.2DiD Water Pump (4m41)

Have you checked the main pulley on the front of the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Have you checked the main pulley on the front of the engine?
    The main drive out of the motor? That did feel pretty solid.

Im going with the theory that there should be no play on the water pump and will replace it this weekend. Its a R500 part that will only take an hour to change. Will feedback if it was the issue.

Closing the loop here

Replaced the pump this evening. Noise gone. New pump has 0 play.

Was R530 from Alert parts, took about 2 hours to change. Deff a job to do yourself. Was very happy to see the spotless clean green anti freeze that came out. Engine still nice and clean after 127k.

Cheers
    Mark

So this post was totally incorrect!

A week or so after i replaced the pump the squealing sound returned. The sound returned when cold and went away when warm. Sounded exactly like belts slipping. A lot of research tough me this is either the belt slipping, or the pullys are misaligned causing the belts to squeak.

Tracking down the slipping path, i spend a lot of time tightening and adjusting the belts to what i though were optimal. Within 5 min the squeal would go away and i thought the adjustment was good, next morning, it returned. I did the fatal mistake of ignoring it.

I serviced the van and took it to Mozam for the long weekend, went perfectly with no issues along the way. On return i noticed a oil patch and realised i had a very small leak from somewhere. I assumed it was the crush washer not crushed enough. When i adjusted and realised it was perfect, i popped the hood and was shocked to see the entire front of the motor coated in oil. It was everywhere and impossible to isolate. I spent the afternoon cleaning and washing in prep to troubleshoot.

The crankshaft pulley has been on my mind, but it was very solid when i tried to move or jiggle it. I noticed it was running very close to the motor body so i decided to wedge a flat screw driver in and see if i could move it. to my surprise, it moved! This must be the cause of the misalignment of the pulleys and what is causing the squealing sound.

Anyway, i stripped it all down and got to the pulley. I tried to turn it with my hands and boom, the entire thing moved while the shaft of the crank remained still! The harmonic balancer portion failed and had separated from the pulley! Because of this, it was able to move closer the motor and had been grinding against the motor body! This leads me to the oil leak!

On the bottom left there is an oil sensor and a channel from the crank to the sensor. This is slightly raised and very thin walled. The rubbing of the pulley had scraped this away completely . Thankfully this is a low pressure section and some very careful cleaning and epoxy my save my poor motor.

Pulley from agents if 5k with no stock in SA, 21 days ex Japan
    Managed to get one from UK: https://shop.febest.eu/crankshaft-pu...gine-4m41.html. R350 import fee at JHB. Ordered Wed, arrived in JHB on Sat, I should have it in DBN on Monday.

Lesson to learn, do not ever let a new sound go un-investigated and unresolved!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171007_152255.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	463465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171007_182549.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	463463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171007_182554.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	463464
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by markrudling; 2017/10/07 at 06:53 PM.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to markrudling For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by markrudling View Post
    Closing the loop here

Was R530 from Alert parts, took about 2 hours to change. Deff a job to do yourself. Was very happy to see the spotless clean green anti freeze that came out. Engine still nice and clean after 127k.

Cheers
    Mark

A week or so after i replaced the pump the squealing sound returned. The sound returned when cold and went away when warm. Sounded exactly like belts slipping. A lot of research tough me this is either the belt slipping, or the pullys are misaligned causing the belts to squeak.

Tracking down the slipping path, i spend a lot of time tightening and adjusting the belts to what i though were optimal. Within 5 min the squeal would go away and i thought the adjustment was good, next morning, it returned. I did the fatal mistake of ignoring it.

I serviced the van and took it to Mozam for the long weekend, went perfectly with no issues along the way. On return i noticed a oil patch and realised i had a very small leak from somewhere. I assumed it was the crush washer not crushed enough. When i adjusted and realised it was perfect, i popped the hood and was shocked to see the entire front of the motor coated in oil. It was everywhere and impossible to isolate. I spent the afternoon cleaning and washing in prep to troubleshoot.

The crankshaft pulley has been on my mind, but it was very solid when i tried to move or jiggle it. I noticed it was running very close to the motor body so i decided to wedge a flat screw driver in and see if i could move it. to my surprise, it moved! This must be the cause of the misalignment of the pulleys and what is causing the squealing sound.

Anyway, i stripped it all down and got to the pulley. I tried to turn it with my hands and boom, the entire thing moved while the shaft of the crank remained still! The harmonic balancer portion failed and had separated from the pulley! Because of this, it was able to move closer the motor and had been grinding against the motor body! This leads me to the oil leak!

On the bottom left there is an oil sensor and a channel from the crank to the sensor. This is slightly raised and very thin walled. The rubbing of the pulley had scraped this away completely . Thankfully this is a low pressure section and some very careful cleaning and epoxy my save my poor motor.

Managed to get one from UK: https://shop.febest.eu/crankshaft-pu...gine-4m41.html. R350 import fee at JHB. Ordered Wed, arrived in JHB on Sat, I should have it in DBN on Monday.

Thanks for the detailed post.
    Been battling with an oil leak and engine noise for some time, and thanks to your post I was able to identify the problem.Exact same as yours. Ordered the pulley from Febest, waiting for delivery.
    Never let the fear of striking out, Keep you from playing the game!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fireblader For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the write up, this will really help someone else.
    isn't this the same engine in the Pajero sport 3.2
    2012 Pajero Sport 3.2 A/T
    2020 Forester 2.0IS CVT
    EX: 2001 colt V6, 2010 jimny

Quote Originally Posted by whatyamacallit View Post
    Thanks for the write up, this will really help someone else.
    isn't this the same engine in the Pajero sport 3.2

And Triton 3.2.

Hi

please help the helpless,

If I am standing in front of my car, with the bonnet open, and the plastic cover over the engine is off, where do I locate the bearing to check this, can I do it with all the belts connected?

any info will be appreciated.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondh View Post
    Hi

please help the helpless,

If I am standing in front of my car, with the bonnet open, and the plastic cover over the engine is off, where do I locate the bearing to check this, can I do it with all the belts connected?

any info will be appreciated.

regards
    I assume you are talking about the main pulley? If so it is all the way at the bottom.
    It may be easier to see from the bottom after removing any bash plates.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by reflex; 2018/06/15 at 06:09 AM.
    2009 Pajero Sport 3.2DiD

Quote Originally Posted by markrudling View Post
    Closing the loop here

Cheers
    Mark

Mark, did you ever replace the cover? Mine looks exactly the same and is getting a temporary Pratley steel fix until we can get hold of a new cover. If you replaced it where did you get it and how much did it cost. Thank you.
    Last edited by breyts; 2018/06/15 at 07:51 AM.
    Carl Breytenbach

11 Pajero Sport 3.2 Auto
    15 Volvo V40 D3
    Echo 3.5 (Ex Echo 1 Modified)

Reviving an old thread,

This has just happened to my 3.2 gen 4. Picked it up this morning. I knew this about this thread. Heard a few funny squeeks after start-up last week that sounded more like a metallic noise. Opened the bonnet to double check everything this morning and true as bob it is the damper that has failed and started rubbing the timing cover. I've only done around 400km since tensioning of the belts after replacing the A/C belt tensioner and I know everything was spotless before then.

I know my motor and it's always clean so when I saw a few aluminum filings (shiny grey coating) on the viscous fan I knew immediately where to look.

Lets hope I caught it before the damage made a hole in the timing cover.

Will post pic's when we disassemble

Moral of the story, check the 3.2 did for this problem at service time regularly and if you hear a chirping noise around the belts have a look at the lower damper pulley just in case.
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2020/03/10 at 11:14 AM.

O my goodness, was reading this post with interest, read about squealing, and thought the chirping (no matter how you tighten belts) of mine might be something else BUT there you mention the the chirping!!! I will have it looked at. The value of the forum......
    SJ 413 - "98 model coily, until son gets license
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

I take for granted the "lower damper pulley" is not the same problem the OP had with main pulley?
    SJ 413 - "98 model coily, until son gets license
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Engelbrecht View Post
    I take for granted the "lower damper pulley" is not the same problem the OP had with main pulley?
    It is the same pulley as the OP's post, I just referred to it as the damper pulley. Same as the harmonic damper pulley the OP refers to, exactly as the diagram describes. I had a chirp, chirp, chirp noise in the engine bay that I fixed by replacing the A/C tensioner pulley but a day or so after that replacement the main damper pulley fails (oh well on the bright side it happened whilst in civilization). It was probably on it's way and the resetting of the belts just helped it along.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Had exactly the same thing.
    Mitsubishi agents diagnosed a faulty air con compressor (which at about R30k I politely declined).
    Mitspro took about 1 minute to identify the real problem. Fixed and all good. Probably saved me a catastrophic breakdown.
    Triton 3.2 A/T D/Cab 4x4 (EGR blanked, Remapped, 63mm zorst)
    BL Vlooi 295
    Platkar - Rav4
    Previously: Isuzu "LUV", Disco D1 TDi, KZ-TE
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    A bad day in the bush is better than a good day at the office

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dust-devil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dust-devil View Post
    Had exactly the same thing.
    Mitsubishi agents diagnosed a faulty air con compressor (which at about R30k I politely declined).
    Mitspro took about 1 minute to identify the real problem. Fixed and all good. Probably saved me a catastrophic breakdown.
    Had exactly the same diagnosis at several workshops. A/C compressor everyone said. Turns out the noise was probably the start of this damper failing. Its a distinct and out of place tak tak tak and then silent. Only ever heard it right after start-up for 2 seconds or so. This damper failing will explain why my A/C tensioner bearing was running slightly skew.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

After seeing this thread again I checked mine and it appears to be inline. However when my car is cold I get an occasional squeak. No tak tak noise.
    At some point (probably a year ago) I removed the all the belts, no noise. Added the alternator and water pump, no noise. Added the aircon, noise.
    I'm still a little worried that it could be the damper. I think I will try pry it a bit and see if it moves.
    2009 Pajero Sport 3.2DiD

Quote Originally Posted by reflex View Post
    After seeing this thread again I checked mine and it appears to be inline. However when my car is cold I get an occasional squeak. No tak tak noise.
    At some point (probably a year ago) I removed the all the belts, no noise. Added the alternator and water pump, no noise. Added the aircon, noise.
    I'm still a little worried that it could be the damper. I think I will try pry it a bit and see if it moves.
    If it's a squeak and all the belts are good it's probably the A/C tensioner bearing. I had a constant chirp chirp and it turned out to be that. Just so happens that the lower pulley was also failing and after redoing the belts it allowed it to shift back into my timing cover. It seems I have a tiny tiny hole in my timing cover unfortunately. When the pulley separates you can actually see it pull slightly back from the metal housing as it separates from the rubber. Mitsubishi have apparently only sold two in the last year so it seems I am just unlucky.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    If it's a squeak and all the belts are good it's probably the A/C tensioner bearing. I had a constant chirp chirp and it turned out to be that. Just so happens that the lower pulley was also failing and after redoing the belts it allowed it to shift back into my timing cover. It seems I have a tiny tiny hole in my timing cover unfortunately. When the pulley separates you can actually see it pull slightly back from the metal housing as it separates from the rubber. Mitsubishi have apparently only sold two in the last year so it seems I am just unlucky.
    Mitsu sold two because the pulleys don't just pack up for no reason unless due to age which is part of the design- the rubber sandwich between the metal gets tired at around 200K I was told by the Mitsu guru at the local dealership years ago, so the sales graph would just reflect the age of the cars under this particular dealership's care.

Disclaimer: I have stated the crank pulley on the 3.2Did does not pack up or break for no reason, I am aware that anything mechanical is subject to unkown factors and can fail at anytime, this is not one of those things though. Unless it is hit by a rock or something.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    Mitsu sold two because the pulleys don't just pack up for no reason unless due to age which is part of the design- the rubber sandwich between the metal gets tired at around 200K I was told by the Mitsu guru at the local dealership years ago, so the sales graph would just reflect the age of the cars under this particular dealership's care.

Disclaimer: I have stated the crank pulley on the 3.2Did does not pack up or break for no reason, I am aware that anything mechanical is subject to unkown factors and can fail at anytime, this is not one of those things though. Unless it is hit by a rock or something.
    Morning Riaan,

I don't think it is a terribly common failure but it does unfortunately have ugly consequences. I had read somewhere about this pulley failing so I was aware of it being possible. Did you replace it preventatively?

I picked up zero damage on the pulley. The rubber damper between the pulley simply started to pull apart due to age and wear. I suppose we could think of it as similar to the diff bushes which also tear after time (incidentally which I just had replaced).

Just as a note there are two part numbers for this pulley and I suspect there was an update with the 2010 high power pajero so maybe those are less likely to suffer the same fate.

I attach some picture for anyone's future reference. If you want to double check your pulley look at the photo I edited, if its started separating then its time to replace. The arrow point to the engine timing cover.

Name:	IMG_20200310_180419.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	254.1 KB 
ID:	561597Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200310_180427.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	312.8 KB 
ID:	561598Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200312_091037.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	561599Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200312_092626.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	561600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200312_184701.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	561596Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200312_184932.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	260.3 KB 
ID:	561601Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200312_185855_LI (2).jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	561602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200312_185916.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	233.1 KB 
ID:	561603
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2020/03/13 at 09:22 AM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast