Upgrade my car carrier - Page 4

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Default Re: Upgrade my car carrier

Hi Henris Just my 2c worth. I have a trailer rental co which I started about 2 years ago. My first order with trailer manufacturer included a car trailer - 5m x 1.9m with two 2200mm axles and 14" rims. This trailer is build like a tank with I-beams the size of railway tracks. Now I am no engineer and fully trust the manufacturers to know what they are doing. Only the front axle were braked but thought nothing of it. Renting the trailer out as per paper work with a maximum load of 2-tons and also as per contract to clients (though I could not control what they were loading) After it was rented a few times I started getting troubles with the braked axle (Round axle) It breaks of from the welding points on the axle and turn like bearing on a lr3 breaking all cables and struts. Eventually had to replace the axle but this time with a square axle. It was fine for awhile because the axle couldn't turn but it eventually broke the drums. (This in fact was now the 3rd time replacing the axle) The other day a knowledgeable guy came here and told me I will be replacing axle for ever because one braked axle has to take all the strain and legally with only one braked axle of 1.6ton rating my weight limit couldn't be more than about 1-1.2ton and it is actually illegal to tow trailer + load total about 2.5ton with only 1 braked axle. I have now two 1.8ton braked axles on the trailer (Square Axles) and the wear on the brakes and everything else seem fine now. Keep in mind I am still no fundi but things started to make sense.

Thanks, I also went for the I-Beams and I honestly think that is the way to go.

If you read from the first post, I did this setup as a workaround. Ideally I will want 3 x square axles, on air springs.

But this one, as is, has hugely impressed me.
    Last edited by Henris; 2017/12/26 at 05:22 AM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

Saw this one with the ramps in die body of the tailer. Easy to remove with a vehicle loaded

Very nice. Only problem I have with that, is if a ramp gets slightly distorted, it won't go back into it's bed. Thus I am still toying with the idea of toolboxes, recessed into the deck, in the front of the trailer. This will also house all the straps and ratchets.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Well, so far so good.

Brought a Renault Megane from Nelspruit the other day. Bearings and tyres happy.
    Brought a 100VX LC from Bloem yesterday. Bearings and tyres happy.
    Also had some serious cross winds. Totally stable.

I think I am on the right track.

I love this trailer.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    just saw this thread. I'm horrified.

a few observations....

I presume that the axles, rims and tires are suitably rated for the application. To be honest, 4 stud golf 1 PCD and light road tires don't seem strong enough to me for a 3000kg load, plus say 500kg for the trailer itself. but presumably you've specced them and the axles correctly.

However, even presuming that is in order....

As far as I recall a Land Cruiser troopie has a towing rating of 1500kg - might be wrong on that count, but hopefully it's correctly rated for the trailer (i.e. 3500kg or so)

Either way, the law requires that any trailer with a GVM (or actual load) greater than the Tare of the drawing vehicle must have a service brake fitted (i.e. linked to the towing vehicle's brakes, an overrun brake is NOT good enough)

I actually don't know what the deal is on how many axles need to be braked in terms of the SANS regs for high speed trailers (over 40km/h) , but on the face of it I would suggest that braking one of 3 axels with a skinny overrun drum brake only is woefully inadequate for the loads you've indicated you'll be carrying.

Indeed, the brakes are rated with the axle, so unless thats a 3500kg axle, they are not adequate.

I cannot see that this trailer is remotely legal or even safe for use as you've described.

offering a professional service means you'll need a pdp for that rig and should be carrying some serious public liability insurance in the event of loss. Offering a professional service exposes you to all kinds of additional requirements.

using equipment like that - which appears to be wholly illegal and unsafe - to carry on business with is opening a huge can of worms criminally and civilly.

Feel free to correct me if I've got any of the above wrong - I'd actually far rather be wrong than know that this thing is going to hit the roads in the state it seems to be going to.

If you get pulled over you'll be taken off the road for overloading, and impounded until the load is removed and carted away legally, , as well as receive enormous fines. A few years back a friend of mine used my trailer on an under rated tow vehicle and the penalty was over R4000 as I recall (it's on the forum somewhere), and it was nothing like the overload you are proposing.

but thats not really an issue, illegal is one thing, unsafe is another. If/When that thing gets out of control and destroys it's load and the tow vehicle there is no way in hell any insurer is going to pay out for the Troopie or the trailer if it had a 3000kg vehicle on the back, nor will they pay out for the vehicle that was on the back. Indeed, the insurer or owner of the loaded vehicle will claim the damages back from you personally.

If someone dies as a result of an accident caused by that thing, you'll be in for culpable homicide, and I'd consider it murder. it's only a matter of time.

I can tell you right now, there is no way I'd allow any vehicle I own to be loaded onto that trailer as it stands. I'd be very surprised if an insurer would employ you to recover vehicles on it either, they'd be exposing themselves massively.
    en daar pis jy op die arme man se battery!! .... en hy probeer wragtig hard om n bestaan te maak.
    Find the solutions, not the problems.

Ok. I am upgrading again. 3 x 1,600kg axles. Not to be hauling 4,500kg, but to just go overkill on both tyres and bearings.

I have proven that the 3 axle arrangement is the right way to go. With 6 tyres and six big bearing sets, this should ask for just about no maint.

Also having brakes on all wheels. So braking is also now going to be 4,800kg. So the drums should never overheat again. Overheated once on the trip up to Zambia.

Then I will add some kind of contraption on the front of the trailer, that will aid with both the tipping and where the cable will run. At the moment the tipping snags the cable. So I need to reroute the cable a couple of times in the process of loading.

But yes. Watch this space.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

I'm glad to hear that. I don't think your your current setup would cope fully loaded under emergency braking.

Part of the reason for heavy vehicles being limited to 80km/hr is that their braking stopping distance under full load is not good at all. I'm surprised that they allow trailers over 750kg gross to have unbraked axles.

Got all my bits and bobs today.

3 x 1600kg axles. = 4800kg
    3 x 1600kg brakes. = 4800kg
    6 x 925kg tyres. = 5550kg

Now we are cooking.

Hopefully be done by the end of the weekend.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Henri, I may need your assistance again to fetch my vehicle from Strydom Park and get it to me house for me again. Will contact you when things are finalised
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan Eveleigh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by All -in -one View Post
    Henri, I may need your assistance again to fetch my vehicle from Strydom Park and get it to me house for me again. Will contact you when things are finalised
    Let me know when.

I want to start on that trailer by tomorrow.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Probably only next week some time, but will give you sufficient notice
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    I'm surprised that they allow trailers over 750kg gross to have unbraked axles.
    Any trailer with a GVM greater than 750 kg HAS TO HAVE (run-in) brakes. You will never get it through a roadworthy test if it's GVM is 751 kg or more and it does not have brakes.

and further

I found when towing the Desert Wolf trailer that I had, first with the Sani and later with the Terrano and Patrol, the braking efficiency improved dramatically in an emergency braking situation, compared when I was not towing anything.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2018/03/07 at 08:52 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Actually in order to be legal in Sa it would need coupled and not overrun brakes as soon as the total towed mass exceeds the tare of the towing vehicle, but remains lower than the gcm and gvm of the tow vehicle.

Well the axles are in. Hauled that P38 for Alan.

She didn't even break a sweat.

No just to fit the mudguards.

Planning some other mods, but for now they will have to wait.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Without pictures I doubt that it happened..... LOL!!!!
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Without pictures I doubt that it happened..... LOL!!!!
    It's coming.

Just keeping the nay sayers at arms length.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Quote Originally Posted by JBX View Post
    en daar pis jy op die arme man se battery!! .... en hy probeer wragtig hard om n bestaan te maak.
    Niemand kon dit nog ooit regkry om op Henris se battery te pis nie , gister die job vir my gedoen , Cruiser 80 vanaf Gauteng na Bethlehem en Cruiser 79 na Gauteng , alles in eendag . Dit was vir Henris ń baie lekker test-run .
    Henris hoe sÍ ek en jy , " hoekom doen ons dinge want ons kan "
    Mooi loop .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20180329-WA0002.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	483190

Name:	20180329_160820.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	483191
    Last edited by Swart Jan; 2018/03/30 at 08:44 AM.
    Cruiser 76 EFI 4.5 FullTime 4x4
    Cruiser 78 4.2 Diesel
    Cruiser 79 4.2 Diesel Full Time 4x4

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swart Jan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Swart Jan View Post
    ............ " hoekom doen ons dinge? Want ons kan "
    Mooi loop .

Name:	IMG-20180329-WA0002.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	483190

Name:	20180329_160820.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	483191
    Thanks Jan. Altyd lekker om julle weer te sien en dankie vir die lekker kos en die cuppa.

Just some mods on the brakes. Then the mudguards and she is ready for some hard work.
    Last edited by Henris; 2018/03/30 at 10:11 AM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

This trailer is now where I would like for it to be, on the load side.

Just some things I want to add.
    • Hatches for storing the ramps and straps.
    • Brackets for hanging the 2 spare wheels off the side.
    • Some 2nd stage rams to soften the incline and the incline to climb the trailer. (There is another mod that I want to do at some other stage, but I will divulge the details, closer the time)

I also had a problem yesterday reversing the trailer. The brakes just locked up. So much so, that I started smelling the clutch on the Troopie, to try and reverse the trailer, with load. So I made a block, that drops into the coupler, that blocks the travel of the brake ram. Now she reverses like a champ.

Name:	20180402_084622.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	484454

Each tyre, 925kg rated.
    Each axle 1,600kg rated.
    Each axle brakes rated 1,600kg.
    Blade springs dialled in for 3,600kg.
    Coupler rated 3,700kg.
    Last edited by Henris; 2018/04/09 at 05:20 AM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast