2010 Jimny jumping out of 4th gear

Default 2010 Jimny jumping out of 4th gear

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice re. the possible cause to my jimny jumping out of gear. It went in for its 90 000 km service about a month ago and I was told that the gearbox oil seal needs to be replaced soon (next service). I didn't detect any major gearbox issues prior to this other than struggling to get the car into reverse, but pressing the clutch in and out before trying again usually sorts this problem out. Gearing down from 3rd to 2nd is also a little 'tight' sometimes, but have read that this isn't always a sign of anything major.

Anyways, we did a little road trip (approx. 3000 km) to the Eastern Cape after the service and en route home, out of nowhere, the jimny decided to jump out of 4th gear. Thinking nothing much of it I put it back in 4th, but about 2km further it jumped out of gear again! This was the first time it happened. Earlier today I contacted the workshop at Suzuki Paarl and the guy I spoke to suggested I try 4th again to 'double -check', before taking it in. He didn't have much advice though, nor could he give me an idea as to why this may be happening. So I took the jimny on some nasty Cederberg roads this afternoon - drove in 4x4 in 4th for most of the way - NO JUMPING out of gear!
    However, driving home on the N7 in 4th gear not in 4x4, it JUMPED OUT OF GEAR again! The only reasonable 'observation' I've made is that every time it jumps, I'm driving around 80km/h, while when driving around 60-70 km/h it doesn't do this.

Has the gearbox gone or is it the synchronizer, did the faulty seal cause this, is it normal on 94 000 km

Any help would be great!

Thank you!
    Genevieve

Default Re: 2010 Jimny jumping out of 4th gear

I'm tempted to suggest that it could be a worn synchro on the 4th gear. First time I've heard of this as the Jimny is proven to have a strong gearbox. Are you the 1st and only owner? Do you tow at all with the Jimny?

The reason for not jumping out, could be that you were in low range. You don't state that, I'm assuming. Unless the speed you were traveling in 4x4 was below 50km/h.
    Sent from my iPhone

No, I'm the 2nd owner. I've not towed before, but the previous owner did tow a trailer from PTA to the Cape when she moved down - apparently only once though.
    No, I was only in 4WD, not 4WD-L and traveling at approx. 60km. Should I not have done that?
    Thanks for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
    No, I'm the 2nd owner. I've not towed before, but the previous owner did tow a trailer from PTA to the Cape when she moved down - apparently only once though.
    No, I was only in 4WD, not 4WD-L and traveling at approx. 60km. Should I not have done that?
    Thanks for your advice!
    No, that's fine. Wasn't sure on which terrain you drove.

As long as you don't drive in 4WD or 4WD-L on tar. But that will affect your diffs.
    Sent from my iPhone

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

It was all flat corrugated gravel- no tar

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    First time I've heard of this as the Jimny is proven to have a strong gearbox.
    Unfortunately, this is not true. I have had gearbox trouble on both of my Jimny's. If you have a look on Big Jimny, you will see gearbox issues are fairly common.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

I think there might a problem with the selectors.

Quote Originally Posted by saxj View Post
    Unfortunately, this is not true. I have had gearbox trouble on both of my Jimny's. If you have a look on Big Jimny, you will see gearbox issues are fairly common.
    I haven't look there yet. In that case, we are all bound to get the same treatment - gearbox trouble.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice re. the possible cause to my jimny jumping out of gear. It went in for its 90 000 km service about a month ago and I was told that the gearbox oil seal needs to be replaced soon (next service). I didn't detect any major gearbox issues prior to this other than struggling to get the car into reverse, but pressing the clutch in and out before trying again usually sorts this problem out. Gearing down from 3rd to 2nd is also a little 'tight' sometimes, but have read that this isn't always a sign of anything major.

Anyways, we did a little road trip (approx. 3000 km) to the Eastern Cape after the service and en route home, out of nowhere, the jimny decided to jump out of 4th gear. Thinking nothing much of it I put it back in 4th, but about 2km further it jumped out of gear again! This was the first time it happened. Earlier today I contacted the workshop at Suzuki Paarl and the guy I spoke to suggested I try 4th again to 'double -check', before taking it in. He didn't have much advice though, nor could he give me an idea as to why this may be happening. So I took the jimny on some nasty Cederberg roads this afternoon - drove in 4x4 in 4th for most of the way - NO JUMPING out of gear!
    However, driving home on the N7 in 4th gear not in 4x4, it JUMPED OUT OF GEAR again! The only reasonable 'observation' I've made is that every time it jumps, I'm driving around 80km/h, while when driving around 60-70 km/h it doesn't do this.

Has the gearbox gone or is it the synchronizer, did the faulty seal cause this, is it normal on 94 000 km

Any help would be great!

Thank you!
    Genevieve
    Hi Genevieve

Did you manage to get the issue fixed? I am having a similar/same issue.
    2009 Zook Jimny Sport - with too many extras to mention

True fuel consumption is shown as FuellyData+7.4%

Build Thread: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ead?highlight=