Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Joburg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,667
    Thanked: 25

    Default Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    I know the 6speeds in the Wranglers are noisy but mine seems a bit excessively so lately.

    - Wheel speed related, not engine. (so output side of gearbox)
    - kind of bearing/rattley sound
    - clutch in our out doesn't change it
    - put clutch in and coast.....juuuust as you put pressure on the gear lever to go into a gear, just as it hits that slight resistance before sliding into the gear the noise quietens down noticeably. If you hold it in that position it comes back though. That made me think it has something to do with the syncros?

    Anyone elses do this?
    Stu.
    Current:
    06 Wrangler Sahara. 3.5inch Rubicon Express and Bilstein lift, Metalcloak control arms, 1.25" RC Body Lift, 1" JKS MotorMount Lift, Zone Disconnects, BFG KM2 33's
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1190 Adventure

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    40,378
    Thanked: 17104

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    Output shaft bearings.

    A quick Google indicates a bunch of issues with that manual box. These issues get worse with bigger wheels and lots of low range work.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    4,486
    Thanked: 355

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    Quote Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
    I know the 6speeds in the Wranglers are noisy but mine seems a bit excessively so lately.

    - Wheel speed related, not engine. (so output side of gearbox)
    - kind of bearing/rattley sound
    - clutch in our out doesn't change it
    - put clutch in and coast.....juuuust as you put pressure on the gear lever to go into a gear, just as it hits that slight resistance before sliding into the gear the noise quietens down noticeably. If you hold it in that position it comes back though. That made me think it has something to do with the syncros?

    Anyone elses do this?
    Mine does something like this as well and was going to take it to a place next wek to look at. I just got my Jeep (2010 model).
    Mine does it in 2nd and 4th gear though, nothing in the other gears.

    If you put foot in second you can hear it and, as you describe lift off and just coast it goes away.
    Someone told me ?"Throwout bearing"?

    Mine sounds maybe a bit like this...but also not exactly
    Maybe we should each do a recording?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poe0F-2qG8M
    Mitsubishi ASX AWD top spec. - stock
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i - OME lift on 33" muds, bullbar, racks, freeflow.

    Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK - Mud terain 32's, Spacers, Lift kit, GDE Tune.
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK - Mud terain tyres. Aftermarket mufflers.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK - 40mm EFS lift, Mud terrain tyres, Spacers, skids.
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ - 40mm spacer lift
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ - EFS lift, ARB bullbar, Custom Maniac Rocksliders, Mud tyres, etc etc.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Joburg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,667
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Output shaft bearings.

    A quick Google indicates a bunch of issues with that manual box. These issues get worse with bigger wheels and lots of low range work.

    I've had 32s and 33s since like 2009. And it's always been relatively noisy but it seems excessive now.

    It's not the throwout bearing, it's definitely o the output side. Wonder how hectic a job it'll be to change the output shaft bearings. *sigh*
    Stu.
    Current:
    06 Wrangler Sahara. 3.5inch Rubicon Express and Bilstein lift, Metalcloak control arms, 1.25" RC Body Lift, 1" JKS MotorMount Lift, Zone Disconnects, BFG KM2 33's
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1190 Adventure

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    40,378
    Thanked: 17104

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    Quote Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
    I've had 32s and 33s since like 2009. And it's always been relatively noisy but it seems excessive now.

    It's not the throwout bearing, it's definitely o the output side. Wonder how hectic a job it'll be to change the output shaft bearings. *sigh*

    32" and 33" aren't big in USA terms.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Joburg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,667
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    Yeah. 35s MINIMUM man!

    I stuck the TC in neutral and the gearbox in 6th. Definitely the box. 1st 2nd 3rd aren;t noisy at all but from 4th up it gets worse and worse, i guess because of the faster output RPM.

    Bugger.
    Stu.
    Current:
    06 Wrangler Sahara. 3.5inch Rubicon Express and Bilstein lift, Metalcloak control arms, 1.25" RC Body Lift, 1" JKS MotorMount Lift, Zone Disconnects, BFG KM2 33's
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1190 Adventure

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    4,486
    Thanked: 355

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    Quote Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
    Yeah. 35s MINIMUM man!

    I stuck the TC in neutral and the gearbox in 6th. Definitely the box. 1st 2nd 3rd aren;t noisy at all but from 4th up it gets worse and worse, i guess because of the faster output RPM.

    Bugger.
    Hmm I'll go try do that as well to check.
    Mitsubishi ASX AWD top spec. - stock
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i - OME lift on 33" muds, bullbar, racks, freeflow.

    Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK - Mud terain 32's, Spacers, Lift kit, GDE Tune.
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK - Mud terain tyres. Aftermarket mufflers.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK - 40mm EFS lift, Mud terrain tyres, Spacers, skids.
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ - 40mm spacer lift
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ - EFS lift, ARB bullbar, Custom Maniac Rocksliders, Mud tyres, etc etc.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    [REMOVED]
    Posts
    2,208
    Thanked: 318

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    Mine does something like this as well and was going to take it to a place next wek to look at. I just got my Jeep (2010 model).
    Mine does it in 2nd and 4th gear though, nothing in the other gears.

    If you put foot in second you can hear it and, as you describe lift off and just coast it goes away.
    Someone told me ?"Throwout bearing"?

    Mine sounds maybe a bit like this...but also not exactly
    Maybe we should each do a recording?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poe0F-2qG8M

    2nd and 4th makes the most noise. Its been doing this since I got it in 2012 on my 2010 hasn't changed and nothing broke so far and I'm running on a second set of 34"ers.
    It only makes a noise when I accelerate though.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to SBSP For This Useful Post:

    Nox

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Joburg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,667
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    Quote Originally Posted by SBSP View Post
    2nd and 4th makes the most noise. Its been doing this since I got it in 2012 on my 2010 hasn't changed and nothing broke so far and I'm running on a second set of 34"ers.
    It only makes a noise when I accelerate though.
    I'm going to try get a chance to check the fluid level tomorrow anyway. Maybe its a bit low.
    Stu.
    Current:
    06 Wrangler Sahara. 3.5inch Rubicon Express and Bilstein lift, Metalcloak control arms, 1.25" RC Body Lift, 1" JKS MotorMount Lift, Zone Disconnects, BFG KM2 33's
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1190 Adventure

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Joburg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,667
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    Does nobody else's get noisy when hot?

    Mine only gets properly noisey when it gets hot....But it doesn't always get hot, which is seriously confusing me. I can do a 40km highway blast and it's fine, and then the next day I can do the same trip, or even shorter, and the heat is radiating up through the shift boot and it sounds like a coffee can with marbles in it.

    It always shifts perfectly though. Slight notch from 1st to 2nd but it's done that since I got it 9 years ago and 140k kms ago.
    Last edited by roadhawg; 2017/09/04 at 04:21 PM.
    Stu.
    Current:
    06 Wrangler Sahara. 3.5inch Rubicon Express and Bilstein lift, Metalcloak control arms, 1.25" RC Body Lift, 1" JKS MotorMount Lift, Zone Disconnects, BFG KM2 33's
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1190 Adventure

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    [REMOVED]
    Posts
    2,208
    Thanked: 318

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    My Jeeps gearbox get very hot sometimes. Yesterday is was fine today it was much hotter and was on the same highway as yesterday. But today there was more traffic.

    There's torx bolt on the driver side next to the gear shifter. I can barely hold my finger on it that's also my way of knowing to coast a bit more.

    My wife is convinced it started doing this only after the last service and clutch replacement and also the gearbox is much louder than before. I think some gears generate more heat than others , could also depend on the RPM in certain gears, there's no trend that I can figure out.

    Either I have never noticed it before or when they replaced the clutch and fork they never put the heat shielding back or they used different oil.

    Overall if Jeep had to put a sticker there that says the surface gets hot then its probably normal.

    would be great to find a way to reduce the heat.
    Last edited by SBSP; 2017/09/05 at 09:16 PM.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Joburg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,667
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    Quote Originally Posted by SBSP View Post
    My Jeeps gearbox get very hot sometimes. Yesterday is was fine today it was much hotter and was on the same highway as yesterday. But today there was more traffic.

    There's torx bolt on the driver side next to the gear shifter. I can barely hold my finger on it that's also my way of knowing to coast a bit more.

    My wife is convinced it started doing this only after the last service and clutch replacement and also the gearbox is much louder than before. I think some gears generate more heat than others , could also depend on the RPM in certain gears, there's no trend that I can figure out.

    Either I have never noticed it before or when they replaced the clutch and fork they never put the heat shielding back or they used different oil.

    Overall if Jeep had to put a sticker there that says the surface gets hot then its probably normal.

    would be great to find a way to reduce the heat.
    I do kinda like it in winter because my heater is disconnected

    I think I'm just going to leave it and see what happens. I figure if it shifts fine then it cant be too bad.
    Stu.
    Current:
    06 Wrangler Sahara. 3.5inch Rubicon Express and Bilstein lift, Metalcloak control arms, 1.25" RC Body Lift, 1" JKS MotorMount Lift, Zone Disconnects, BFG KM2 33's
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1190 Adventure

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    58
    Posts
    40,378
    Thanked: 17104

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    If the symptoms started "after the last service" I'd drain the oil and replace, obviously something cheap and nasty has been used as a lubricant.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    52
    Posts
    145
    Thanked: 29

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    Quote Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
    I know the 6speeds in the Wranglers are noisy but mine seems a bit excessively so lately.

    - Wheel speed related, not engine. (so output side of gearbox)
    - kind of bearing/rattley sound
    - clutch in our out doesn't change it
    - put clutch in and coast.....juuuust as you put pressure on the gear lever to go into a gear, just as it hits that slight resistance before sliding into the gear the noise quietens down noticeably. If you hold it in that position it comes back though. That made me think it has something to do with the syncros?

    Anyone elses do this?
    on the manual gearbox there is a thrust bearing, the thrust bearing slides on a replaceable guide. when they do the clutch they are supposed to change this slide guide as well.

    what we have found in the past is that this guid never gets replaced, also the guys play around with one of the forks pivot points, this makes that the release bering keeps on running. we have also found that the oil in the gearbox that some of the guys use is incorrect.
    on my personal vehicle i have added an additive and the motor shifts 100% smoother and is quieter. Also they forget to put all the sound proofing and insulation things back when they reinstall the gearbox.

    contact us for a quote or advise.

    regards


    Corne vd Merwe
    0832665217
    Zone offroad JHB
    www.zoneoffroad.co.za

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Joburg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,667
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    Quote Originally Posted by Miketango View Post
    on the manual gearbox there is a thrust bearing, the thrust bearing slides on a replaceable guide. when they do the clutch they are supposed to change this slide guide as well.

    what we have found in the past is that this guid never gets replaced, also the guys play around with one of the forks pivot points, this makes that the release bering keeps on running. we have also found that the oil in the gearbox that some of the guys use is incorrect.
    on my personal vehicle i have added an additive and the motor shifts 100% smoother and is quieter. Also they forget to put all the sound proofing and insulation things back when they reinstall the gearbox.

    contact us for a quote or advise.

    regards
    Mine has nothing to do with the clutch. I had the release bearing sound and changed to a new clutch and bearing a while back. It's mire related to output speed. So 6th is noisy when it gets hot. What additive do you use?

    I changed to Ravenol's Synthetic gear oil a while back, it matches the Merc MS9XXXX whatever spec. Maybe I should just go back to the Merc oil.
    Stu.
    Current:
    06 Wrangler Sahara. 3.5inch Rubicon Express and Bilstein lift, Metalcloak control arms, 1.25" RC Body Lift, 1" JKS MotorMount Lift, Zone Disconnects, BFG KM2 33's
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1190 Adventure

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    52
    Posts
    145
    Thanked: 29

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    Quote Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
    Mine has nothing to do with the clutch. I had the release bearing sound and changed to a new clutch and bearing a while back. It's mire related to output speed. So 6th is noisy when it gets hot. What additive do you use?

    I changed to Ravenol's Synthetic gear oil a while back, it matches the Merc MS9XXXX whatever spec. Maybe I should just go back to the Merc oil.

    that gearbox uses ATF, Liquid Moly is one of the best and add Liquid Moly's Gear Protect. that should sort it.

    regards


    Corne vd Merwe
    0832665217
    Zone offroad JHB
    www.zoneoffroad.co.za

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Joburg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,667
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    Quote Originally Posted by Miketango View Post
    that gearbox uses ATF, Liquid Moly is one of the best and add Liquid Moly's Gear Protect. that should sort it.

    regards

    Thanks Corne.

    It was me enquiring about the TJ Metalcloak arms by the way. I just need to check my gearbox isn;t going to explode before spending all that money on the arms
    Stu.
    Current:
    06 Wrangler Sahara. 3.5inch Rubicon Express and Bilstein lift, Metalcloak control arms, 1.25" RC Body Lift, 1" JKS MotorMount Lift, Zone Disconnects, BFG KM2 33's
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1190 Adventure

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    4,486
    Thanked: 355

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    I'm probably the last one that can correct....but, i've also got a slight whine noise coming from second gear and then also third gear but a little less.
    I researched the oil and found this. So I went and bought MS-9224 Mopar.

    NOTE: It is important to only use MOPAR MS-9224 Manual Transmission Fluid (sometimes listed as NV-3500 Fluid) or equivalent like Syncromesh. Standard gear oils have sulphur in them and damage your synchros.


    Last edited by Nox; 2017/09/08 at 10:32 AM.
    Mitsubishi ASX AWD top spec. - stock
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i - OME lift on 33" muds, bullbar, racks, freeflow.

    Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK - Mud terain 32's, Spacers, Lift kit, GDE Tune.
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK - Mud terain tyres. Aftermarket mufflers.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK - 40mm EFS lift, Mud terrain tyres, Spacers, skids.
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ - 40mm spacer lift
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ - EFS lift, ARB bullbar, Custom Maniac Rocksliders, Mud tyres, etc etc.

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Joburg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,667
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    I'm probably the last one that can correct....but, i've also got a slight whine noise coming from second gear and then also third gear but a little less.
    I researched the oil and found this. So I went and bought MS-9224 Mopar.

    NOTE: It is important to only use MOPAR MS-9224 Manual Transmission Fluid (sometimes listed as NV-3500 Fluid) or equivalent like Syncromesh. Standard gear oils have sulphur in them and damage your synchros.



    How much was the Mopar oil?
    Stu.
    Current:
    06 Wrangler Sahara. 3.5inch Rubicon Express and Bilstein lift, Metalcloak control arms, 1.25" RC Body Lift, 1" JKS MotorMount Lift, Zone Disconnects, BFG KM2 33's
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1190 Adventure

  21. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    4,486
    Thanked: 355

    Default Re: Noisy 6speed (NSG370)

    Quote Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
    How much was the Mopar oil?
    +- R700 for 2 litres.
    Mitsubishi ASX AWD top spec. - stock
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i - OME lift on 33" muds, bullbar, racks, freeflow.

    Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK - Mud terain 32's, Spacers, Lift kit, GDE Tune.
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK - Mud terain tyres. Aftermarket mufflers.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK - 40mm EFS lift, Mud terrain tyres, Spacers, skids.
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ - 40mm spacer lift
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ - EFS lift, ARB bullbar, Custom Maniac Rocksliders, Mud tyres, etc etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •