Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: LOTS of Scammers......Everywhere!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    A while back I get a frantic call from an elderly Afrikaans Oom ( surname of Botha) who needs help with repairing a door and windows that robbers broke when they forcefully entered the house. Kept on telling me how much cash he has on him and that we must just come and help because the Tannie is frantic. I tried to ascertain where they are situated ( I know most of the farms and farmers in the immediate area) and it seemed like they were on a farm outside of town but he kept changing the subject when I started asking specifics but didn't think anything anything about it at the time.

As we only supply material I called a mate of mine who does odd jobs and gave him the number to contact. So the Oom phones my mate every two minutes for an hour, he relents and starts to leave to go to the site - the Oom told him exactly where to turn off and that he will wait by the roadside at the turn off. This while the Tannie is loudly sobbing and wailing in the background my mate told me afterwards. On the way there the Oom phones for the milionth time now asking my mate to please buy airtime ( the cops while taking fingerprints apparently had to use his phone) and that he will pay when my mate gets there. He duly purchases the aitime and then the Oom calls again to get the recharge numbers as he needs to phone insurance etc.

My mate phoned me later in the day to tell me this Oom vanished into thin air, he drove the 23.5km out of town found no one waiting, the people in the area know nothing of this man etc and cell number is disconnected.

What gets me is that this Oom used the " ag seun jy moet Oom help asb en ai die Tannie is so onsteld" Afrikaans en nederige line of talk and the same with my mate. My mate has bought a pick handle by the way and would realy like to have a discussion with this Oom, that is if he indeed called from this area.

I was gobsmacked that we were taken by such a ruse, not one of us suspected anything and yes my mate should not have bought the airtime but jislaaik, I think most people would have under the circumstances.

Hier is George is daar ook so 'n ou wat airtime BS uit mense. Moet siekte wees want hy vra R300 maar bel R400 uit......
    2012: Triton 3,2 DC 4 x 4 (Simson, soos gedoop in die Namib woestyn);

2006: Colt Rodeo 2.8 DC 4 x 4 (Moses die eerste, soos gedoop in die Limpopo)

We come into this world with nothing and we leave this world with nothing..........................

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HendrikG For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer7 View Post
    I am selling a camping trailer at the moment and had the same guy from "Namibia" call me. Was going to make an EFT for the trailer (sight unseen), I just had to meet him in Joburg so he could make a copy of my ID and what not before he makes payment. But no need to bring the trailer with of course.

When I didn't fall for that, plan B was to try and get me to buy him some airtime so that he could phone his wife in Namibia to tell her to pay the money for the trailer into my account (haha).

As far as I can tell the aim is one or more of:

a. Try to lure you to a spot where they can hijack/rob/kidnap you;
    b. Get a copy of your ID, which together with your banking details and cellphone number they can no doubt use to create all manner of hell for you;
    c. Scam you for some airtime.

Low-life losers.
    I also had a "trucker guy" from Namibia phone me a few weeks ago, I checked his number, it was a Namibian code all right, he wanted to meet me at a bank in Vereeniging and wanted to pay me everything in advance and collect the vehicle from me a few weeks later, I declined as it sounded strange . I have also had calls from Brits, Thabazimbi (so they say) , a certain Botha's name comes up often...promised to come here tomorrow (always on a Saturday) but never arrives..

Quote Originally Posted by B_Engel View Post
    When I was in the market for a trailer, I also scouted the usual places.

On a Thursday morning I finally I found something I wanted, decided to phoned the number the lady supplied in her ad.
    A gentleman picks up and says yes his wife placed the ad. I thought no worries, I have placed ads for other people before. Asked the guy if it's available, yes sure it is, he said. He is based in Hermanus and he will even bring the trailer to Cape Town for me.

I said it's fine I don't mind driving I want to view the trailer 1st. He then said, I am now the 11th person the phone regarding the trailer, if I can pay a deposit of R3000 he will keep it for me. Ja sure, what happened to the other 10 people before me.

I said give me your bank details, he then said I should rather send the money through cash send. Great, give me an hour I said (crazy guy I thought).

He phoned me 8 times before the hour had lapsed.

A very persistent Mr Liebenberg soon realized I was not to be taken for a ride when I blocked his nr.

While talking about the trailer he forever wanted to rush the sale, but kept saying he is not in a hurry to sell.
    That same day the ad was removed.
    This sounds like the same "insert your own choice of descriptive Noun Here" who had copied my old man's trailer advert. My old man posted his trailer on Gumtree only to get a phone call from an anonymous person requesting that my old man does a search on OLX. (old man was half asleep when he got the call so did not quite take in all the info)
    So Waar!.. My old mans trailer advertised by someone else. So I decide to phone in order to try and arrange a meet. This "insert your own choice of descriptive Noun Here" then tells me he does not want a 101 people coming to his house and i must please pay R3000 to come view the trailer. Guarantees me the trailer is legit, paper work in order and was serviced last week. (he can present the invoices).
    After doing some recon, "insert your own choice of descriptive Noun Here" is in Gauteng somewhere, whilst the false advert states it is in Brackenfell, Cape Town.

The anonymous caller then called back and apparently this "insert your own choice of descriptive Noun Here" took him for a couple of R1000's on a boat sale. ...

I am very skeptical when buying / Selling in public classifieds. Often sellers require hard cash, up front as a means of protecting themselves for the sale, but when buying something of a couple of R1000 bucks, I often wonder if its not a trap to lure you out and then ambush you for hard earned cash.

It is sad that we have reached a point in life where very few can be trusted.
    The best day for fishing is when its raining and when it's not.

I am in an industry where we do a lot of trade with entities we do not know or who are based in other countries and continents. We are at permanent risk of non-payment and other than the usual financial instruments like LCs etc, there were very fews options to protect yourself from negative financial exposure.

In an effort to find less costly and less complicated options to resolve our problem, last week I had a business meeting with the management of a JNB based company called Tradesafe. (You can search for their website with your preferred browsing search engine)

In a nutshell it's an online escrow account with a set of predetermined trigger points that must be set and met by all the parties entering into the transaction before any funds will be released to the seller. You can buy and sell anything legal on this platform from a cell phone to a multi-million rand business transaction.

It's just another option that people may not be aware of.

Cheers.
    Decide where you stand ........ then stand there!

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sprocket For This Useful Post:

I agree been scammed my self. I see the scammers are targeting OLX the most. be careful !!!!.

I have given up on OLX, it is a cesspit of shady deals.

Here is a tip, do a reverse image search (images.google.com) of the photos that accompany the online advertisement. Often the images were just copied from another site like GT, autotrader, etc.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HR7600 For This Useful Post:

Speaking if scammers, if you need a DJ beware of Zoo Sound. Friend of mine booked this guy for wedding, paid, and now full of excuses and no refund, they had to book a new DJ.

Unfortunately he did not search Hellopeter first : https://www.hellopeter.com/zoo-sound

Guys goes under the name of Paul Botha, probably not his real name..
    2014 Nissan Navara 2.5 4x2
    1995 Nissan Sani 3.0 V6 4x4

So sad really. Tried to sell a car on the usual platforms recently and had so many scammers... You unfortunately just have to second-guess everyone. After some exposure you do pick up the same trends these guys work on... like money upfront with no guarentees or solid cross-checked references... Mostly want to 'do business' in cash (or some other untraceable means) and always over a weekend Saturday or Sunday.

The old saying of "when it sounds to good to be true it usually is" is actually so spot on.

So my 10cents worth of advice is always keep the status-quo. Give out minimal info, always meet in a public place and get as much info/references as possible (and cross-check that they are not false), if possible do not go alone and have a security back-up ie a friend which you must phone/message every 5minutes, etc.

Meeting at the local police station have probably saved me from many potential scammers and when there is an exchange of money make sure it cleared in your bank or even better still transfer it to a different account before you release your beloved posessions...

Also keep in mind that ID theft is a major thing and although you did not loose your car - all they really wanted was your personal details, ID, Drivers license, address, names, etc.

Good luck and be safe - it is a minefield out there currently and just getting worse!

I have respect for my English speaking friends, but please allow met to continue in Afrikaans, as it will take me a long time to do it in the correct English.

Ek was ook al 'n slagoffer van 'n scam, want ek hou daarvan om mense te vertrou. Ek het gedog ek is al slim om hierdie skurke uit te ken, maar het nogtans so amper vier jaar gelede geval vir 'n skelm se bedrog en het R2 000 deposito betaal vir 'n woonwa. Om 'n lang storie kort te maak: ek het 'n klag by die polisie ingedien en later nog vier telefoonnommers van die skurk aan die polisie gegee wat ek in ander advertensies van hom gekry het. Toe die speurder die skurk bel, het diť gevra of hy 'n pistool het. Die speurder het bevestigend geantwoord waaop die skurk gesÍ het: "Nou druk die pistool teen jou kop en trek die sneller, want as jy dit nie doen nie, gaan ek dit doen!" Ek het gedog dat dit sal help om die speurder te motiveer om hom in die hande kry, maar na 'n jaar is die saak onopgelos gesluit. OLX was bereid om die rekenaar waarmee die advertensie geplaas is, se IP adres te gee as die polisie met 'n lasbrief dit aanvra, maar ek twyfel of dit gedoen is. Ek dink die speurders het so baie sake wat hulle ondersoek, dat die groter misdade voorrang geniet. My R2 000 verlies is seker maar gering, maar R2 000 x 100 = R200 000!

Maar laat ek nou net van enige selfoon af 'n bomdreigement maak en die gevolg sal wees dat ek daardie selfde nag nog in die polisieselle sal deurbring. Maar hulle kry nie die skurk met vyf nommers tot hulle beskikking en die rekenaar se IP adres nie in die hande nie! En daardie skurk gaan voort met sy bedrog, want ek het onlangs weer met hom gepraat na aanleiding van 'n advertensie wat hy geplaas het. Ek het gelukkig toe reeds duur skoolgeld betaal ....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fordson For This Useful Post:

Hoe de butterfly betaal mens geld voordat jy n voertuig sien of in jou hand het? Someone recently asked me why i have so many vehicles and after thinking for a while i could honestly reply that it is too much of a hassle and dangerous risk trying to sell them.
    Last edited by Damdan; 2017/08/29 at 05:53 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Damdan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    Hi Flyer7 what trailer are you selling? I might be in the market. Don't worry, I have airtime to phone the wife
    It's a 2015 Echo 4 (also listed on the 4x4 Community Classifieds). But looks like I have a buyer (also with his own airtime haha).

Quote Originally Posted by HR7600
    Here is a tip, do a reverse image search (images.google.com) of the photos that accompany the online advertisement. Often the images were just copied from another site like GT, autotrader, etc.
    I can also confirm scammers are using the pictures and even descriptions from legitimate ads to create their own "phishing" ads. I saw an ad on OLX for a different trailer using my exact description and was told by a legitimate interested party that he found an ad with my picture but the price looked too good to be true so he did an image search and then found my legitimate ad - of course my trailer was advertised for R105k and not R26k like the fake one. So there's another tip - if the price is waaay low, it is probably a scam, unless there is a good reason for the low price such as damage or missing bits, etc.
    2015 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4x4 A/T
    2015 Echo 4

Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    Hi Flyer7 what trailer are you selling? I might be in the market. Don't worry, I have airtime to phone the wife
    To my knowledge OraDBA69 (Louis) on the forum is looking at selling his Conqueror Conquest - maybe check with him?
    Last edited by Toccata (Roelof); 2017/08/30 at 01:49 PM.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

If it is any consolation, the same happens here in the UK especially on eBay! You just need to keep your wits about you and insist on a cash or BACs transfer.
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit CRD chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

Ons het dieselfde met my dogter se skool vir Autistiese Kinders by Bloemfontein byna oorgekom. Hy bel haar om te sÍ dat sy vrou elke jaar vir 'n skool R14 000 se vleis skenk. Sy reel alles vi die berging van die vleis toe die persoon bel en hoor of sy net vir hom R 450 se data kan koop nie. Sy se toe sy sal dit koop en saambring as ons die vleis gaan haal. Hy wou nog eers stry maar sy kry hond se gedagte. Sy gaan toe op die internet e vind dat hy al verskeie skole veral kleuterskole so ingedoen het. Skole pas dus op. Die ou het selfs hom op true caller geregistreer met sy plaas se naam.

Skaars 10min nadat ek gister die Prado op Gumtree gelaai het, wonder bo wonder.....wie bel? Die einste trokdrywer van Namibie. Lang storie, sy vrou wil die voertuig he....hy soek my bank details en natuurlik die kopie van my ID.

Gelukkig kom die kalant mos al n lang tyd aan....was reg vir hom. Hoe koop n mens n voertuig wat jy nog nooit gesien het nie, betaal al die geld oor en wil dit kamstig n week later kom haal. O ja, hy is werksaam by n diamantmyn by Swakopmund.

Groete
    M
    Marius Swart
    (Blackie)
    2010 Land Rover Freelander 2 Td4 SE
    1997 Opel Corsa Bakkie 1.3i

'n wenk wat vir my werk. As ek iets adverteer, gebruik ek nooit my selfoon nommer nie. Net my ePos adres. Hierdie scammers hou nie daarvan om per ePos te kommunikeer nie.
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

I work for a cyber security company and one of the latest trends is to register a catch all domain for something very similar to what the real domain is.

For example:

seff.co.za
    fmb.co.za
    netbank.co.za

etc etc

You will be horrified to find how many times people will mistype those domains and the mail will go to the domain squatter. Now just think how easy it is to scam someone when they have legit sent the mail out and are expecting a reply. For example, a favourite is the estate agents and deposits.

Whats my point? Just be very careful out there.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quiksilver For This Useful Post:

Guys I said it before..........be VERY careful, whether you're buying OR selling.

Dont want to go into detail here, but I ended up with a 9mm staring at me like a Rinkhals around 15 years or so back. BMW 318 that I went to show for a "Buyer".

Do not be naive. Or stupid.
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

Exclamation Re: LOTS of Scammers......Everywhere!!!

Yes-and I was nearly caught twice.
    A few years ago a guy advertised an off-road trailer [Echo 3 I think] for a ridiculous price. I saw it on a Saturday morning on Junkmail, phoned him and he replied there are many interested persons and I need to pay a deposit for him to keep. I live on the West Rand and his address was around the corner. I wanted to have a look 1st but was informed that he was in KZN on short holiday-would return on Monday. I asked for his banking detail and he informed me he closed his account-they are emigrating and therefor the cheap price for the trailer. I paid R3000 deposit in to a money transfer faciity. When I gave him the ref no he immediately said the no was wrong [I left out one digit by mistake] and the fool I was to give him the correct no. Immediately thereafter I new something was wrong-but too late. Never heard of him again.
    The 2 nd time was early this year when I advertised my bush trailer I advertised. A 'Namibian' gent phoned and wanted to buy it for cash. He said he was a driver and will be delivering freight in Vereeniging. I must bring a copy of my ID and he will pay the money and collect the trailer on a later date-he wanted my address which I gave him. I was consulting in Bedfordview and left to meet him in Vereening. He wanted to meet me somewhere in town but I refused and met him just before the entrance to town at a garage-I stopped right in front of the convenience store, bought a Coke and waited. He appeared, dressed in a nice suit and I gave him copy of my ID [which I should not have done I later realised]. He said the money was in his truck in the industrial area and I have to take him there. I refused and left[albeit without my ID copy]. I gave him instructions to come to my office with the money and never heard of him again.
    A friend of mine residing in Vereeninging advertised his father's caravan and a man also phoned saying he is from Namibia and was also nearly scammed. On the other hand I had a new sheep trailer and a man from Namibia came to my plot and paid in cash and no problem [I was ready for any nonsense].
    I must confess that I was very eager [greedy perhaps on after thoughts] to wanting to buy a bush trailer for next to nothing. The lesson: if it sounds too good it is most probably a scam]

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Pietpajero For This Useful Post:

What is the afr saying? As jy dom is moet jy ...

I dont buy or sell if i don't meet you and see the product for myself, i also choose the location not you.

Next time tell them all of the above first,and as soon as they start with their ... bye bye put the phone down. Proof of payments,i will pay now,deposits,this and that, i dont fall for it,i'm not a doffel and these scammers can try all they want.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Freebird For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast