Namibia Kgalagadi tyre life

Default Namibia Kgalagadi tyre life

I do a fair amount of travelling to Namibia and Kgalagadi. These roads are known to be hard on tyres. Tyre wear after such a trip is definitely noticeable. Add to this a loaded Prado 150, a heavy vehicle, where travelling long distances in Namibia sometimes requires driving at 130 - 140 km/h to get to the destination in time. One of the reasons for driving this particular vehicle is its ability to tackle this terrain and do so at acceptable speed.
    My question is what tyre is best suited for this scenario?

Default Re: Namibia Kgalagadi tyre life

Many questions.
    Fair amount? 3 times/6 times a year?
    Kms per trip:
    Tar?
    Dirt road?
    Offroad?
    Rest of the time at home?
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

Bfg !!
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Hi there,

Just a quick one seeing that you have done the trip several times. What tyres do you currently have and how have they performed. I have Bridgestone Duellers ATs on a Pathfinder 265/65/R17's and I want to do a South to North Trips and am wondering if I need to change these to more agressive tyres like General Grabber or BFG. Changing the tyres will dent my budget for the trip and so I need to know from someone who have done Namibia 2 or 3 times if one can do it with the Bridgestone Duellers.

For you a frequent traveller to that part of the world I would recommend the General Grabbers, they are rated highly for Tar and Gravel.
    Nissan Pathfinder 3.0 DCI V9X Sat Nav aka Heaven!

Again the question, what roads are you going to be driving on?
    Duelers will do fine on ordinary gravel but they are puncture magnets on the Solitaire road for instance.
    A good friend of mine in Namibia has had very good service from Duelers on Nam's worst roads but I will never buy them again.
    For a loaded 150 travelling at top speed I will also not recommend them.
    So its purely about your setup and where you want to use them.
    If it were my vehicles and money was not an issue I will consider Coopers.
    Last edited by Damdan; 2017/08/23 at 10:35 AM.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Damdan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Damdan View Post
    Duelers will do fine on ordinary gravel but they are puncture magnets on the Solitaire road for instance.
    Going to jump in here, since I'll be doing that road next year... You you think the GY Wrangler Adventures will be ok?
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

I'm always reserved when it comes to advice about tires... Horses for causes! There are soooooooo much more considerations to your choice of tire... There are very little people that have really experienced a few of the leading AT/MT brands fitted to the same vehicle under the same road, driving, load, etc conditions to offer a valid opinion. Another thing most people and "tire-tests" neglect is the endurance of tires over a long period under tuff conditions.

I do the Cape Town to NAM & Botswanna trips very regularly and as a rule always prefer new ground off the beaten track, and if I can stay off the black stuff, it was a good day...

There are many tires that I would love to try out and maybe one day will have the budget for...

Every tire has pro's & con's... that is just how it is!

Although it is so confusing with everyone's opinion of the one and only rubber they have under their most treasured possession... research the pro's & con's and decided which will serve your needs best and remember there is only four little patches of rubber ensuring your safety under your vehicle...

If you really want to know, I still have a set of BFG (old design) under my Cruiser which I've bought in the UK five years ago and they have been there all the way down to Cape Town. Sure I need to replace them now (oh and only had one puncture in five years near Rosh Pinaar). I know they are weak in the wet on tar so I adjust my driving style and distance, but boy did they give me good service and peace of mind...

Question is what will I buy now that they need replacement...I currently really do not know. The only reason why I will not buy BFG again is that I've always had BFG on one of my vehicles (KM2's on the Hilux) at any time and personally I need to formulate my own opinion about some of the others I haven't had personally...

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Bfg !!
    Stands for: Best For Gravel...

Quote Originally Posted by BobMabena View Post
    Going to jump in here, since I'll be doing that road next year... You you think the GY Wrangler Adventures will be ok?
    have fitted them ; will try thru namibia and kTP during next sept month trip

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jayefe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jack gamble View Post
    Add to this a loaded Prado 150, a heavy vehicle, where travelling long distances in Namibia sometimes requires driving at 130 - 140 km/h to get to the destination in time.
    Geez, the tires aren't the problem, the speed is.

Over about 100 km/h, the chances of getting rear tire punctures increases dramatically on dirt roads. The front tires disturb the stones on the road, and they can stand up on end, and they haven't fallen over by the time your rear tire hits them. So you get a puncture.
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.2 DiD GLS (sold)
    2008 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.2 DiDc GLS