Spongebob The SJ410 - Page 10

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Default Re: Spongebob The SJ410

Building has been Slow going.
    Build Update :

- Rottenwhole has been repaired on the firewall.
    - Got another set of Safety belts (back seat Safety belts of a Jimny) and testfitted them to ensure that they are working correctly.
    -steering wheel shaft required some adjustment.
    - did some more flat work (no pictures of that).
    - Airbox combination of Chana, Jimny, SJ have been built. Neither the Jimny or SJ oem airducting will work, so will be building my own ducting soon. (some prepwork for it has started. No pics yet).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

Build update :

Continue of the firewall and rust repair:

Firewall and side panal and a very small part on the driver side floor has been completely repaired and sealed, and redoxide done to prevent it from rusting while other work needs to be completed before full respray.

Waterpiping for heater / airbox has also been sealed off.

Dash install :
    Complete custom Airducting is being built and a combination of the SJ and Jimny ducting and own ducting is being used as the space to work with is not much, and to have functionality for heater and fresh air is required.

The custom gearbox tunnel needs to be modified once again, by just a few mm, as the Jimny airbox is slightly catching it, and will cause a rattle/vibration that will make us go mad. So Slight adjustment is required.

Unfortunately lost most of the pics.. But got 2 at least to show some progress.

Build Update :

-Airducting is complete. (all on a pile for now).
    Had to make a "small" hole for fresh air intake but will be covered up by the fender and mesh.

- both front jimny seats are now in their correct positions. (no pics for now)

- Started with paint work on firewall to test the stonechipping. And results looks very good.

Parts update :

Need new rear brake slave cylinders and found that the Toyota Quantum cylinders is a direct fit.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fearl3SS View Post
    Parts update :

Need new rear brake slave cylinders and found that the Toyota Quantum cylinders is a direct fit.
    How did you determine that those work?
    I have a similar issue to find a pair that fits.

Good going...keep posting. Can't wait to see end result
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    How did you determine that those work?
    I have a similar issue to find a pair that fits.

Good going...keep posting. Can't wait to see end result
    I have a friend with a SJ that recently bought and fitted them as well. Rear brakes on his SJ is better than ever.

I hope that I could help someone else with my Build posts as well..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

Build update :

Now that the dash is done. We have finnally started to paint.

There are some mechanical things te get done still. And need to modify internal roll cage a bit.

But it was a good weekend all n all.

The following was painted.

Firewall
    Left fender - Right fender has some more work to be done to it 1st before paint.
    Interior floor stone chipped black.
    Light covers
    Window/door bars.
    Pedalbox
    Custom gear box tunnel.
    Jimny seat Stand offs.
    Jimny dash crossmember
    Water/air catch bucket.
    Brakebooster.

Parts prepped for paint :
    Exterior body.
    Bonnet
    Roll bar

Pics below of what have been done.
    Last edited by Fearl3SS; 2019/07/14 at 10:10 PM.

Nice when one make progress on a project well done on determination

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bugger For This Useful Post:

Nou begin die dinge gebeur Barend!!
    2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2019 Suzuki Baleno 1.4 GLX platkar

Build Update :

More of the body has been painted..

Bottom part of outer body and inside door sill has been stonechipped and will be sprayed yellow as well.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

Update Time again.

This weekend Marked 2 years of Owning Spongebob The SJ410 according to Facebook :-).
    Progress Is still Slow and Steady. And Me and My Dad can't wait to get it Running.

Build update :
    -Body spray paint has been 99% completed.
    Only the Bottom of the body needs to be sprayed yellow over the white Stonechipping. (ran out of paint).
    Bonnet, Grill and doors, Canopy and Front detachable roof needs to be Painted yellow still.
    Righthand side fender, tailgate needs some additional tlc with a little bit body putty to smooth it out (had a small accident with the rh fender and dented it.)

- Installed the Stp black gold sound detening(bought 4.5mē). Interior floor & Firewall, inside the doors, and exterior in the gearbox tunnel
    Now the Rubber Nitrate matt can be Cut and put in place, Dash can be reinstalled permanently, and Seats can be Installed Permanently. And Wiring Work can begin. (After Finishing off the last few parts that needs to be spray painted.).

Parts update :

- Acquired all the rubber Grommets.
    25mm x4
    20mm x14
    45mm x2
    50mm x2
    40mm x2
    15mm x4

- Bodyclips
    30x
    - More yellow Paint (5L) and hardner.
    - 1kg Body putty and hardner
    - Almost all the Door Seal rubbers, and Canopy rubbers. need to source the Door rubbers that fits directly onto the doors.
    - More Stainless bolts, washers and Spring washers.
    - Jimny Powersteering Box, Powersteering Pump, hoses and fluid container (Driving with the Jimmy without Powersteering for a week, made me realize That is a Luxury I definitely want in my SJ. Thus accuired all main parts to Install as well. - There is some work left on Chassis, and will get back to this once Powersteering system is being installed.

Pics of progress :

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

Trying my best to Go to the farm now every weekend to get this done, and during the week source more parts or get some resolutions to challenges faced.

Build Update :
    As per my Previous Update I have Decided to Get some powersteering installed on my SJ as well

- Installed the Jimny power Steering box .

NOTE to those looking to do the same : The box itself is a Straight fit. If you still wish to use the SJ steering damper, you need to either manufacturer a new damper bracket for it. or drill holes in the Jimny steering arm to fit the Original Damper bracket. (the Steering arms are NOT interchangable between the SJ and Jimny boxes)

The powersteering feed and return hoses seems to be the correct lenght. and might need some slight adjustment to run with the chassis but not by much.

in my case because the Crank(front) and Fanbelt pully are both v-belt pulley, I tried some different pulley combinations to see how I can make this work, because the Jimny Power Steering pump uses a serpentine belt (4pk). As of now, it looks like I will be using a different Powersteering pump where it will be easier to change the pully (Got one off another Engine we have, that is Almost exactly the same as the ps pump from the jimny).

- Installed the Spill proof Nitro Mat
    this goes over the sound detening.

- Installed the Jimny seats.. (Unexpected problems).
    Jimny Seats works great in conjunction with the Jimny Dash.. however.. we somehow made a mistake in calculations When test fitting them months ago. After Refitting the Dash and steering wheel again, found out that if you are a tall oke (1.9m) There is no way in hell you will be able to drive.. the Jimny seats now for some reason Hits the rear wheel arch and cant go all the way back. making the driving position impossible. So now I have a set of almost brand new Jimny Seats I cannot use...

But I have a solution to this.. seeing that I also Bought another Set of seats for another project. Nissan Sani Seats.. I had a look at my original SJ seats my SJ came with and the Sani seats.. Both of them have a flat seat rails (the Sani Seat rails was a bit damaged). So I did some test fitting ect, and found that the Sani Seats although bigger actually works better than the Jimny seats. they can push back further until hitting the Wheelarch at the back. So, I will now be fitting The Sani Seats.

- Dash and Airbox with plumbing installed.

Haha this dash swop has caused so much additional modifications. and Test fitting the doors, Cause I was Curious already seen another Challenge.. : Need to Shorten the Window winders as it hits the dash, and cant make a full rotation..

The objective for this weekend was to get the seats, floormat, Dash with airbox, Jimny Powersteering box installed. and to start wiring up the dash again.. Not all of it happened as expected.. but there has been progress even if it was just a little bit.. I just need to keep on pushing on.

Some pictures below of the work conducted.

Nice going, seeing you are going fancy and putting power steering in you have to also put an aircon in.. don't stop until its perfect, never finished!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Nice going, seeing you are going fancy and putting power steering in you have to also put an aircon in.. don't stop until its perfect, never finished!!
    It looks like electric windows might be a better solution than shortening the winder handle
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

21. The Following User Says Thank You to saxj For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by saxj View Post
    It looks like electric windows might be a better solution than shortening the winder handle
    Actually that's quite a good solution!

Lots and lots of work gone in this project

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Bugger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    there is absolutely 0 space left under the dash for a Jimny sized aircon unit..
    I have been considering Doing aircon as well. but need to find a very small unit or a electric type of unit.. Haven't done any research on it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by saxj View Post
    I already joked about this..

It will end up being the fanciest SJ410 in the world.. . Building a jb74 in my garage.. hahahaha..

Does not seem like allot have happened but moving forward, slow and steady.

Build Update :

- Driver Side Seat is inplace, and I am in a comfortable Seating position. Removed the SJ seat rails, made some modifications to the Sani Original rails and repaired them, works much better now.

Started with the Passenger side mounting brackets.. (no pics)

- Seat belts has been fitted. Had to make some modifications to the Seatclip mounts. The Gv seat belts for some reason didn't work anymore and I replaced them with Rear Jimny Belts and seat clips. ( Pieter at Zook Spares was ever so helpfull in sorting me out).

Parts Update :

- Manage to get a Serpentine Crankshaft Pulley from Cote88 (Chris) for the Powersteering. have some additional work to do before building the PS pump bracket.
    He also gave me some very good advise and showed me around his shop on projects with similar intentions as mine that has been completed. (No Pics)

Stay tuned for the next update :-)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10