Spongebob The SJ410

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default Spongebob The SJ410

(@mod, please move this post if it is in the wrong section)
    Hi all,
    This is the start of another zook journey for me...
    After many years of searching, but not actually searching for an Suzuki SJ/Sumuray this SJ crossed my path..

It has been one of those situations where you are not actively looking, but you will know when the right one will come your way if you are patient...

And this is what happened..

A few months ago our chairlady of Swiftspeed club (suzuki swift car club) shared a pic of this yellow SJ.. And though nothing off it accept that it looked really neat for such an old car..

Time went by and I forgot about it..
    But about 2-3 weeks ago Chelsy share some pics with me about this Sj410 saying it looks so cool.. So Jokingly I said that I am gonna buy it before she can.. Hahahaha...
    Whell that Sj410 got stuck in memory and it could not be flushed, so that Saturday I went to have a look at it.

Had a long chat with Clive regarding this Sj and it's history (wich made my heart melt even before starting or looking at it - I am not an emotional person when it comes to cars.. )

Clive had it all tucked away in the corner almost like he was hiding it.. Hehe..
    My brother inlaw + Sister and I inspected it with the limited time we had, and it looked good for it's age, and it looked like it has not been driven in a while.
    On the outside the paintwork is a bit faded and some paint repair was tried at some point but was not finished. But minimal rust on the sj was detected on inspection, wich the sj's in this day and age usually are riddled with.
    Under the bonnet it still had it's original unmodified 1000cc engine.
    Noticed Some oil Sweat/leadadge between the tapid cover and head, but nothing to write home about.
    The exaust was in not such a good shape.. Looks like the original exaust from factory actually.. Wich says allot about suzuki build quality.

Getting into the Sj, the door locks opened like it was still new. And doors just opened with no cracking or hard pulling like what you need to do on lots of older cars that ran a few km already aswell..

On the inside the dash had no cracks or tears, original Suzuki Steeringwheel also still fitted. suzuki badge or whole steering wheel is upside down. Indicating it was removed at some point in its life. but it is original and that is what counts.
    The seats are still the original leather seats that the sj was released with. Only driver side seat was refurbished by a very good apoltrer it seems..

Seats where comfy (strangely enough).

It started on the 1st turn of the key. Wich usually is a indication of healthy starter/battery, coil, fuel pump ect.. And got us all very excited.

At that point we did not know the age of this SJ but thought it was like 20+ years old easily. But in good condition but work would need to be done on it still..

Had 300+k km on the clock. But who cares it started with no hastle or quick start or anything on 1st try..

Took the SJ for a drive using one of Bramley's test drive routes that i have learned from not being there to often.. Hehe..

Clutch/gearbox was smooth, diff's and transfer case had no noises indicating that it is worn out or problematic. Engine had enough power for what it is, and was running smoothly.
    The steering was responsive like it should be seeing that it has absolutely no power steering..

Suspension(leafsprings) and shocks seemed good as well.
    It was hopping and bobbing about very comicly down the bumpy bramley roads, with all of our heads doing bubble head things while driving.. And it was at this point I decided.. That I must have this sj, it has spoken, that it wants to come home with me.. Hahaha..

Got back to Bramley, and we all where having these smiling grins on our faces driving in.. I remember people looking at us very strangely as we drove in + it was a very busy Saturday for them. (must have been funny looking with these 3 people looking like bubble heads laughing)..

We stopped and got out. And I told Clive and Chelsy I want the SJ..

And negotiations started..

So we left there..went to check finances if i can actually buy this sj, as it is now a heart decision.. There was another SJ that I knew off was up for sale, and I wanted to look at it as well.. Long story short. It was sold before I could go look at it..

A week went by, and then received a Phone call from Chelsy, asking if I still want the sj.. A agreed apon price where negotiated. And got a phone call back and where told it is mine.. I must bring the cash (no finance cause it is to old for that)..

Got my Finances in order, and went to pay it plus sign some handover documents..

I went to pick it up 2 days after the document signing...

This was 2 long ass days.. Geez.. Looked at pictures and videos and reading forums, and started to study up even more on the sj's..

Went to go pick it up. (was there a bit early and cought Chelsy a bit off guard, as it was not ready for me yet.. Still in wash bay)..

Had some cappuccino and talked Nonsens while we waited..

Some cars was moved around and the SJ was reversed in by Chelsy after the second try. Hehe.. No powersteering so it is difficult...

We went through the SJ, fastened the back seat, and recieved Ownership papers.. (i got a icecream bucket of nuts and bolts with that I still need to figure out where some of it goes..)..

At this point Clive looked very sad to see the SJ go to a new home, after being all cleaned up and groomed..

We took some pics and talked some nonsens a bit more, as usual..

I drove off, and thought.. Damn, now I must drive carefully, cause the brakes and handling is NOT a swift and I found out that the SJ is actually 8 months older than what I am..
    Coicedental my mom and dad bought a brand new car in the same week, that I recieved this SJ. That car is still in the family (not running atm :-( ).

Driving back it felt like a road trip, cause it took forever to drive back from Bramley to Pta. And it is really really slow.
    It is really scary to drive 100km/h with it, as i was thinking the brakes is from the 70-80's so is everything else. It wont stop on a dime, and turn like the car i am used to..

It was actually refreshing chilling between 80 and 90kmh. Seeing busses and trucks pass you.. Hahaha.. I did not care.. I was being in happy place..

Doing some uphills and still standing friday rush hour traffic I found that it might not be fast but, can keep it in lowest gear wich is 4th.. And from 20km/h just put your foot down and it will go, no issues what so ever.. You go down hill at 90km/h and you keep going uphill 90km/h that blew me away. Cause what dark japenese magic is this.. It is a 1000cc (well actually 970cc) 4cyl motor on a 4x4 drive train...

When i got home inspected it now more thoroughly..
    There is a list of stuff that needs to be done..

I will update this tread once I have made it....

Thank you Chelsy for showing me this SJ and handling all the stuff to get it registered in my name, have it all cleaned up and awnswring all my stupid questions in the 2 days I had to wait before collection could be made. And to Clive to let me take it to a new home, as over the past 3 years he has also started to know our family that has gone suzuki crazy...

But for now.. Here is some pictures of the new addition to the family

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Spongebob The SJ410

I have some questions already.

Where can i buy the sump and tappid cover seals as well as a new dipstick, because they + the exaust needs to be replaced asap.

Easiest to buy complete gasket set from Alert Spares.
    IIRC they don't sell them loose, I could be mistaken.
    Dipstick....I would ask Chris at Pretoria Cote

Sump is cork gasket....buy sheet of thin cork and make own
    Last edited by Prof; 2017/08/18 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Xtra info
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the advice. I called them and will collect probably this afternoon

Very nice story. Congrats
    2009 Zook Jimny Sport / 2inch Jimnybits lift kit - AVO adjustable shocks / Adjustable panhard rods / 235/75r15 Kumho KL51

True fuel consumption is shown as FuellyData+7.4%
    Ex: 2010 Suk Grand Vitara
    Ex: Toyota Yaris TS

Build Thread: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ead?highlight=

It appears to be in excellent condition? Enjoy driving it.

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

Congrats and enjoy it
    Flip

Member: 4x4 Action Group - GP0026 & Suzuki4x4GP
    Awesome: Suzuki Jimny;

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.McM View Post
    It appears to be in excellent condition? Enjoy driving it.
    I also think it looks very good. Well looked after by previous owner.

Think I saw you in your SJ today on Duxbury road 15:00 - 15:30. If it was you your SJ looks immaculate. Very nice indeed
    Kenneth

2016 Ranger XL 2.2 auto double cab 4x4

Small update :
    Today I went to a exaust installer to get the exaust system fixed.
    Seems Like I was correct It still had it's OEM exaust system in..

Inspected the whole system at 1st.
    The branches is still ok.
    The downpipe is also still ok, but will need to replace it as well. Could not do it today, as the bolts to the branches is rusted shut and will need some encouragement to get them loose, the installer advised that i come on a week day when if the bolts does break, they can have enough time to fix it.. wich I agree with..
    I installed a 50mm freeflow system from the downpipe all to the back.. It sounds so lekker now. Hahaha

While it was on the lift i got the chance to inspect the running gear all the suspension parts and try to see where the oil leak is that we noticed at the bottom part of the motor on Thursday Night..

The suspension and brake lines for it's age it is in good condition, but for my own safety and piece of mind will definitely start to replace and clean up some of it.

My Parents Visited me as well, and My dad that is a highly skilled mechanic who also looked through it.

It seems like the crank seal, sump gasket, tapid cover gasket and the oil lid needs to be replaced. Luckily not imitately but some time in the near future..

From the more knowledgeble guys here on the Sj's , would I need to pull the motor to replace the crank seal and sump gasket? We dont want to pull the motor if not needed, or start stripping and then see. Ok this is not gonna be a "10min" job :-)

Here is some pictures of the belly lf the beast.
    As well as a small before and after video of the exaust replacement.

https://youtu.be/Ee7CQb3jo-I
    Last edited by Fearl3SS; 2017/08/19 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyg View Post
    Think I saw you in your SJ today on Duxbury road 15:00 - 15:30. If it was you your SJ looks immaculate. Very nice indeed
    Yep that was me.
    Lol, that corner i can take it with the swift faster than the SJ can drive in a Straight line.. But there is also a giggly fun factor just driving and hopping about in it..

If you are bouncing around a lot, check the tyre pressures. They might be too high.
    I kept my SJ at about 1.6 bar. Depending on the tyre make, you might need to adjust up or down a bit.
    Flip

Member: 4x4 Action Group - GP0026 & Suzuki4x4GP
    Awesome: Suzuki Jimny;

Quote Originally Posted by Fearl3SS View Post
    Yep that was me.
    Lol, that corner i can take it with the swift faster than the SJ can drive in a Straight line.. But there is also a giggly fun factor just driving and hopping about in it..
    The Swift corners faster than most other cars that I have driven. As Flip says, tyre pressures make a huge difference in ride.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

Quote Originally Posted by Fearl3SS View Post
    From the more knowledgeble guys here on the Sj's , would I need to pull the motor to replace the crank seal and sump gasket? We dont want to pull the motor if not needed, or start stripping and then see. Ok this is not gonna be a "10min" job :-)
    To do the rear crank seal, it's better to remove the gearbox than the motor. It's also a one man job and doesn't even need a jack. The gearbox is light.

I see the shocks are leaking. This will be a big part of your ride problem. Even cheap shocks wIll make a big difference in your ride.
    Vic

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

2019 Suzuki Jimny - 235/75R15 M/T's, lifted
    EX 2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    EX 1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

Quote Originally Posted by Flipside View Post
    If you are bouncing around a lot, check the tyre pressures. They might be too high.
    I kept my SJ at about 1.6 bar. Depending on the tyre make, you might need to adjust up or down a bit.
    Oh dear, hard tyres plus leaf springs on such a light vehicle will result in a very bumpy ride. I run my SJ413 at 1.5 bar.
    REAL men drive 4x4's with leafs and no power stearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    REAL men drive 4x4's with leafs and no power stearing.
    Soos diť....
    Name:  IMG_6228.JPG
Views: 715
Size:  148.8 KB
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Baie mooi sj, geniet dit. Hulle is baie fun
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Sjoe ...you guys run them hard...I did 1.0-1.2 bar.

To OP

Some other things that will need attention as well....go ahead and grease all those nipples on the driveshafts.

Then you will need to attend to the shackle bushes....see all of them show cracking. Means they are hard and this also has effect on ride harshness. You can buy them at any rubber place (Rubber Man here in George). Get the rubber ones not the yellow ones.

There seems to be sweat at the front knuckles...keep an eye on that. There is two threads on that in the Suzuki section...one by myself.

...oh and the lack of mud and veld dirt means only one thing! Go play!

Sure about the 300+k kilometers? AFAIK the distance meter only counted to 99999.9 km then turned over, the speedo photo shows 37k odd kms with the last digit (white drum) shows 1/10th of kms? Looking at the condition I would guess it has about 137000kms, seals and things more the ravages of time.
    '89 LR 110 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Sure about the 300+k kilometers? AFAIK the distance meter only counted to 99999.9 km then turned over, the speedo photo shows 37k odd kms with the last digit (white drum) shows 1/10th of kms? Looking at the condition I would guess it has about 137000kms, seals and things more the ravages of time.
    Do agree here
    Creeper

Jimny 1.3 - Radial cup Protectors, Front & Center Bash Plates, 50mm EFS's, Rock Sliders, Front Recovery Points, Snorkel.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast