Spongebob The SJ410 - Page 9

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default Re: Spongebob The SJ410

Looking good Fearl3ss...

When do you think you will have the project on the road again?

Quote Originally Posted by Wooky View Post
    Looking good Fearl3ss...

When do you think you will have the project on the road again?
    Trying to push for December.

Parts Update :

1. Recieved a extra set of Steelies (not jimny rims) - 8j that will be wrapped in the Goodyear wranglers a/t 205/80r15
    They are currently at powder coating. (this is now done and tires fitted.) pictures added (test fited on the Jimny cause I was curious hahaha)
    2. Chris from Cote88 supplied me with a 1.6 16valve oem exaust manifold as the preformance branch does not fit.
    3. Recieved Jimny Seats that will be installed as well when we start the body work (yes some rails will need to be made to fit them but it is minor.

Last edited by Fearl3SS; 2018/10/03 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added Pictures

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fearl3SS View Post
    Trying to push for December.
    Cool.... look forward to seeing it on the trails.

Some more stuff happened. Here is the pics.. Will update later to what happened. Tapatalk keeps on closing when i type

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

Build Update :

Went to the farm with all the newly acquired parts for my SJ :-).
    My Little Side project Trailer is not finished yet. so Load everything in and onto the Jimny. and off we went.

And With the body raisers installed and the body fitted -
    1. Still had to cut out a little bid more out of the floor to fit the starter motor.
    2. Clutch cylinder also needed to get a bit more space:
    3. Gear leaver hole needs to be moved.
    4. the TC gear leaver is catching now on it's own hole so for all intended purposes needs to be lowered for it to be reliably functional.

Jimny Dash Installation -
    This is all being built on Trail and Error.

1. Steering wheel and steering wheel shaft has been fitted.
    2. The bracket for the Steering wheel needed to be modified in order to fit it (A new bracket has been built in order to do so).
    3. New brackets has been built to fit the Dashboard Cross member. The SJ cross member cannot be re-used.
    4. When fitting the Tachometer found that the window will press on it. so need to move the Cross member up by 20-40mm. - There is quite a bit of space to play with.
    5. Will need to do some customization on the Window Vents to fit it. as it needs to be functional still.
    6. Busy building a Bracket to fit the Jimny airbox as doing a Mod on the SJ's airbox will not be feasible. - require some parts that did not come with it :-(.
    7. Test fitted the Jimny Pedal box. - it is also not a Straight fit what so ever. Need to scatch some heads on that still - Atleast I have 2x SJ Pedalboxes and a Jimny pedalbox to "play" with.

Will show more about the Dash Install as we go along.

Other -

1. Fitted the new Wheels.
    2. Test fitted the Jimny seats to see how it will fit and what needs to be done (If anyone has installed Jimny Seats to their SJ. some pointers would be nice).
    3. Test fitted the G16 Exaust manifold - Exaust needs to come closer - will do the required work to fasten the exaust when the Body is removed for Paint work.

Started doing some of the other mediocre tasks that needs to get done - Prepping the smaller bits like the door hinges for repair and paint.

Qbonded the Jimny steeringwheel back together where the airbag came out. (need to neaten it up a bit as the ductape glue is still stuck on the front

In the pictures you will see that I have added the body Raisers that we have built.

With the body raisers as well as the 40mm lift it is standing quite high off the ground. and the Rocksliders will also be turned into steps (as I almost need a ladder to get into it.
    Last edited by Fearl3SS; 2018/10/08 at 01:29 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

Jimny Dash install :
    This is all being done on trail and error. Errors will be made.. And I made one.. Haha

Made a small mistake that is gonna cost me a bit.
    I should not have cut the dash as far as I did. So will need to get another one.

- The Jimny pedal box did not fit. Best option was to modify the sj pedalbox (I have 2 of those atleast.)
    - airbox is installed and in place. Had to build brackets for it aswell.
    Last edited by Fearl3SS; 2018/10/12 at 11:48 AM.

Build Update : (Jimny Dash Install)

Another Jimny Dash was sourced from Zook Spares with some additional bits and pieces that was still missing. Trail and error is a costly exercise.

- Already made some modifications to the cross member of the jimny to fit it properly into place that is the frame of where everything needs to fit onto.

- This time around we more carefully cut and fitted the dash into place.

- The air ducting needed to be modified a bit as well to fit it into place.
    Fitted the fesh air vent onto the airbox and cutting it slightly for a new mold that will be.

Some pic of installation progress (correct damper also Sourced from Pta Cote8

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

Build Update : Jimny Dash install.

Starting to close off the gearbox tunnel, and ensuring that the gearbox leaver will work, now that the Jimny Dash has found it's place in the SJ.

Used a piece of stainless steel that was lying around to build the gearbox tunnel (notice the reflection. Hahaha)

Also found that the Chana bakkie and Suzuki Jimny ducting is almost Identical, but will be only using a small part of the chana's air box as it is smaller and more maneuverable than the Jimny's.

Some pics below of the new gearbox tunnel and the Airbox thingy

Build Update :
    Complete new gear leaver has been made to cater for the dash.
    There is still much more to do.

Last edited by Fearl3SS; 2018/11/09 at 02:51 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

Build Update :
    Gearbox Colomn 99% complete will be finishing it off over the weekend

Last edited by Fearl3SS; 2018/11/09 at 02:51 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

Build update :

Gearbox tunnel build still in progress. It is extremely time consuming, as you need to cut and test fit the brackets as the tunnel will be removable, but must also be water and dust tight. So flush fitment with rubbers and some gasket maker silicone is essential.

Also removed a working the brake booster from one of our donor Nissan hardbody where the hydraulic clutch has also been donated from. Did some cleaning and redoxide to refresh it...
    Notice that i forgot the after pics..

So for now. Here is the before pics of the brake booster that will be used.

Custom work is the most tedious of all work, so many variables to be monitoring.

You are still keeping at the coal face, all the best going forward!

Time for a little update again.
    Nothing much has happened over December and January. (took a trip to Stilbaai with the Jimny).

But before I went away something did happen..

Build update :
    - Stainless steel gearbox tunnel took some good shape. It is complete now, with some minor off finishing work required. (dont have any pictures of it being finished yet).

- Additional cross members has been added to the floor to make it more ridged, that forms part of the frame of the gearbox tunnel (tunnel has been built for when you need to do maintenance). The firewall is also being slightly strengthened.

- Jimny seat brackets has also been built, also having my long legs in mind..

- Brake booster has been fitted, to check if steering Colomn hole needs to be changed on firewall. and yes it does, it is being changed to come out underneath the brake booster.

Seatbelts has also been fitted (i accedently broke one so need to go source another one ) no pics. Will add when I go to my SJ again.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

Update :
    Had some time again to go and do some work on my SJ again.

Work done :
    1. Gearbox tunnel needs to get some finishing touches and then paint.
    2. Test fitted the internal roll cage. But I am not comfortable with how it mounts, so will make some modifications to it later to fit it properly.
    3. Removed the body from the chassis again, to start prep work for respray.
    4. Removed all badges and other body parts (tailgate & roll beam). Windscreen stays on still as there is some bits and pieces for the dash that still needs to be completed, that would need the windscreen to stay in place.
    5. Completed the modification on the Jimny airducting for the dash.
    5. I was hindered by a massive rinkhals in the garage, so did some flat work for spray painting on the oem roll bar thing.. And found some bad rust..(pictures) I have already found another one that I need to collect.

Work outstanding shortlist (more or less.. Probably more) :

1. Remove the rinkhals from the garage.
    2. Fasten exaust to manifold, and cut and adjust exaust where needed.
    3. Need to make some changes to the water piping from the engine into the cabin.
    4. Speedo sensor bracket needs to be built. And placed correctly on the speedo gear
    5. Unfortunately need to change back from hydraulic clutch to cable clutch again, as there is not enough space to fit all the plumbing as well as the pedal position is a problem as well.
    6. Need to source different safety belts.. The ones i got does not fit properly. (dont want to modify the jimny seats for that.)
    7. Close and redrill left side leaf lift extention as it is 4mm out, causing the shock to touch the shock housing on the chassis.
    8. Drill new hole in firewall for steering wheel shaft
    9. Close all holes on firewall that does not have a function anymore or where rust repair is needed.
    10. Complete Flat work on body and other removable panals.
    11. Stone chip interior and exterior floor (stone chip and stone chip spray gun purchased).
    12. Install wiring harness and mate the chana and jimny harness.

It's coming on!
    Beware of what stone chip you use, most of water based versions are not solvent resistant, stuff like petrol lifts it off in seconds. I've had horror stories after all the prep and work only to have a small petrol spill destroy my handiwork.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

I do have a complete unit like this for you if you want it, no rust just green

Send me a mesage on 072 053 6583

Quote Originally Posted by rood View Post

I do have a complete unit like this for you if you want it, no rust just green

Send me a mesage on 072 053 6583
    I have sourced a rust free one yesterday already.

My hat is off to you, I'm busy building a canopy for my Gypsy (413) and some of what I see you doing gives me nightmares....

25 years in IT and 2 years owning a welder did not properly prepare me
    2016 Suzuki Gypsy MG413 - The PopeMobile

28. The Following User Says Thank You to DustGypsy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DustGypsy View Post
    My hat is off to you, I'm busy building a canopy for my Gypsy (413) and some of what I see you doing gives me nightmares....

25 years in IT and 2 years owning a welder did not properly prepare me
    I have been toying with the idea to build a aluminum canopy for my sj as well.. But that is definitely not on the horizon any time soon.. .

I have another project that involves SJ parts as well. But will start a thread once I am finished with a few things on it.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast