Spongebob The SJ410 - Page 8

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default Re: Spongebob The SJ410

Starting to think it might have been easier to buy a jimny and fit the SJ body to that......

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Don't stop at just the dashboard, have you thought about putting a Lexis V8 in there??
    There a sj running around here with a 13b-rew rotary in..should hear that thing
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz
    modded 02' 105 series 4.5efi (big wheeled petrol thief)

Quote Originally Posted by Wooky View Post
    Starting to think it might have been easier to buy a jimny and fit the SJ body to that......
    I have been thinking the same thing. but where is the fun in that :-P..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

Love your enthusiasm..... The joy of driving something you created is just priceless

Build Update :

The past weekend I was able to drive through to the farm where my SJ is, with the Jimny dash..

To make things easier to work with the body was removed from the chassis.

- Motor is now in place, but 1 water pipe needs to be cut and bend a little bit.
    High pressure fuel filter with fuel cut selenoid needs to be installed still. Thus Motor is like 99.9% finished.
    - fuel tank was removed and cleaned (with the removal of the tank we actually looking at installing a bigger fuel tank, but then the exaust will have to come out before the back wheel.. Still contemplating this.
    - Busy with the internal wiring harness. It is becoming crucial to actually get a chana wiring diagram. I found someone that has it, but the person really do not want to help me.(this upsets me quite allot, as it is a older person that has this notion that keeping info all to himself and being bombastic about it will make him stay in business)

- with the Jimny Dash the speedo does not work but I have a solution for this already or the 1st part of it. (pickup sensor with a pickup gear). I need to have a gear spesifically engineered for this. But it is no biggy, my dad has an engineering friend that has done lots of work for him over the past 30 odd years or so.

- We had to cut out and remove the Sj410 dash completely. And have the idea of how the Jimny dash needs to fit. Lots of modifications will be required to make it fit (this I already anticipated). (some people are going to cry when they see the pictures of it below, I almost did when the grinder came out and the cutting started)

- some parts of the body can already be preped for spray paint aswell and I removed both front fenders from the body.
    However i found that my SJ is not completely rust free. The right fender had a really shoddy workmanship patching done to it with a combination of bodyputty, fibreglass, aluminum and body foam that was all rivited together, and caused some really bad rot on the firewall and fender.

I am lucky enough to have found a replacement fender. But the firewall will be repaired properly, by removing the rot and welding in new steel plates.

- Propshaft between the gearbox and transfercase will be shortened this week.

- chassis will be prepped for spraypaint.

There is till soo much to do.. And we need to finish this project, as we have another project that needs to be completed as well (luckily no massive modding, just a complete rebuild of our old Nissan Hardbody, that we also turning into a 4x4 for overlanding).

Yep i think this is it for now.
    Have a look at some pics i took over the weekend

Lucky you have space to work, amazing how the work seems to multiply like crazy when repairing vehicles!

Parts update :

The replacement fender arrived from cape town.

1st time ordering such a bulky part.
    Postnet delivered it within a day.

Small update :

Centre propshaft has be shortened and balanced so that it fits correctly with the longer gearbox.
    It needed to be made 160mm centre to centre.

Some before and after pics:

Build Update :

Cooling System is complete.
    After some trail and error and well completely demolishing the SJ410's Original fan bought a new and bigger one..

Pully system that mount infront is now complete.

Gearbox mounting is also complete and painted with redoxide to prevent rust as we will be giving the chassis a new fresh coat as well.

Last edited by Fearl3SS; 2018/06/26 at 04:30 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

Cambelt change is gonna be a beetch.

With all the steel work, the weight is gonna change. Would be interesting to know after all done.

Admire your perseverance.

I have to add that you are biting off a big chunk, and I admire you for that!!!

Just a 0.002c comment: Just check on your welds on those brackets. Some of them will not pass my OCD/perfectionist testing.

But then, that's just me. I've seen to many 'welds' that unwelded themselves at inopportune moments.

And should that happen on the road and other road users may be injured or worse, then the welder may be in for a more than just one 'yes your honour, no your honour'
    Thys de Wet
    Jimny 2009

Ek het nou klaar gewerk, maar ek weet nie of die bank daarvan gaan hou nie...

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Cambelt change is gonna be a beetch.

With all the steel work, the weight is gonna change. Would be interesting to know after all done.

Admire your perseverance.
    Cambelt Change will only be done at 90 000km if it does not break before that. Motor is still Brand new.

Weight has already changed when the Motor was changed to the 1300, as the F10a does not weigh much (I am not a Big guy, I think, and was able to remove the F10a with out breaking a sweat, or using more than 2 arms :-P..)

With the weight change the Shocks has been upgraded for that. I have been thinking of getting a new Set of springs from Vanzylsprings, as I have heard and seen that they do some really good work, and know these cars. After all is done, with all the extra Weight including the building of new bumpers, finising the Exo cage I am thinking it will weigh in at almost 1ton :-), as the Exocage as is already weighs 150kg, without it being finished and me adding more stuff to it. But we will need to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by dewets View Post
    I have to add that you are biting off a big chunk, and I admire you for that!!!

Just a 0.002c comment: Just check on your welds on those brackets. Some of them will not pass my OCD/perfectionist testing.

But then, that's just me. I've seen to many 'welds' that unwelded themselves at inopportune moments.

And should that happen on the road and other road users may be injured or worse, then the welder may be in for a more than just one 'yes your honour, no your honour'
    Yep, this was never the plan to do such an extensive well rebuilt.. But with these old cars you get a lucky packet.. And doing something like this with my father has been a dream of mine for a very long time. Progress is slow and steady. and nothing thus far was a straight fit.
    On Friday we found out that the extended shackles is 16mm holes and not 14mm - Being on a SJ/Samurai techincal whatsapp group where the guys are very knowladgeble provided a fix to it already :-).(As we believed someone elses word to it and only found out when stripping the SJ's shackles .). and the Shocks I ordered is also 16mm where it needs to fasten on the chassis.. Luckily it is the same as the Nissan Hardbody. and we have 2 chassis at our disposal to get that parts off if push comes to shove..

Thanks for the 0.002c on the welding.. it is noted, thanks :-). It should last.. never had a issue with our welding before ;-).

I apprecieate the positive support while I am doing this project.
    Subscribe to this thread. there is more to come soon :-).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

Build Update :

Radiator, Engine, gearbox and Transfer case and all other unessesarry items has been removed from the chassis.
    And has been prepped for respray.

Removing, grease, oil, grime and dirt of the 34year old chassis was no easy task.

Chassis has been cleaned and antirust / primer coat has been sprayed and left for about a day.

Decided on a bit more of a shocking colour scheme for the chassis and rollcage addons.. As it is working quite well on the Jimny as well.

While everything had been removed from the chassis also decided to have a peek inside the transfercase. And it is in a very good condition actually.. But oil seals is being replaced in anycase. (no pic of the tc sorry).

Chassis respray should be done by the end of the week, and installing of everything back into the rolling chassis will comence over the weekend. Most probably.

Parts update :
    Bought some new tekkies, that will go on to a set of Jimny alooys later..
    I opted for 205/80r15 good year wrangler all terrain tires.

Some pics of work done on chassis (still in progress). as well as the protection kit and 50mm lift kit on the Jimny. And the tire size diffrence between oem size and what i got..

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

FWM

Jy het baie geduld. My gat sou al te veel gejeuk het om hom te ry.
    2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2019 Suzuki Baleno 1.4 GLX platkar

Lets try this again.. Tapatalk does not want to work with me today..

Build Update :

Over the last week and weekend some more progress was made on the Spongebob build :-).

- Chassis Respray was completed.
    - Motor,Gearbox, cooling System has been refitted and Cooling system hoses and Completed. (All hoses has been fitted and Modified where need to be to allow it to fit).
    - Fitted the Gabriel shocks. The damper with the part number that a few members on these forums mentioned does not fit so provided the old Damper to our parts supplier to source us the correct one.
    - Cleaned and Re-greased the Front Hubs.
    - Built and test fitted the High pressure Fuel Pump bracket.
    - Test fitted a Jimny wheel to ensure that the Wheel studs is long enough, as I will be Using Jimny wheels on my SJ, and have another plan for my SJ's wheels (Not going to elaborate on that just yet as it is another little project I am working on).
    - Sourced and installed the Oil seals into the Transfer case. As well as installed the Gear shifter Repair kit. (FIY - The springs provided in the kit provided by Zombie offroad is not the correct size for the 410 tc. Luckily my TC is in Excellent condition and the springs on the shifter shafts is also still good so re-used it). re-installing those shafts back you do need some patients :-)..
    - Some Minor Body work has started. as the frot rusted part of the firewall has been removed and taged some of the smashed SJ's Firewall in that I also acquired for another project and this one.
    - Cleaned and Re-greased the front hubs with marine Grease.

Next up (Chassis Work) :
    - re-installing the brake lines back on to the chassis as-well as extending the rubber lines, as it is now to short with the 40mm lift.
    - Need to Check the Condition of both Front and Back diffs and Give it some fresh oil.
    - Need to build a bracket and Fit the speedo Gear and sensor. Speedo gear has been manufactured to fit between the Handbrake Drum and Propshaft.
    - Installing the Diff,TC,Gearbox Breather extensions - Will be using the Brake lines of the smashed sj410 chassis and body that I purchased from Zook Spares. This is to run it nicely with the chassis from the rear Diff.
    - Found that the Branch that I have already bought, does not fit properly. as it presses against the Engine Mount and the Branch cannot be modified. So once everything is completed on the chassis I will be Towing the chassis back to PTA to have a performance shop build me a custom Branch and Exhaust system for me as I have seen their work they do on Race Cars and other fancy stuff and was impressed by it.

Some pictures :
    Last edited by Fearl3SS; 2018/09/10 at 11:07 AM.

That is some build you have going here! Really interesting and fun read! Subscribed

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnna For This Useful Post:

Build Update :

So it was a long weekend, and I had the opportunity again to go to the "plaas" to do some more work on my SJ.

Only 2 of the 3 days was unfortunately available.

Last week we had some New and shiny brake hoses made up - Made them 70mm longer instead of just 40mm, to ensure that they are long enough when flexing starts.
    Also got all the rubber hoses for the Breather System that we where going to build for the SJ.

But this is what happened.

1. Transfer case was completed and installed into the chassis - including refreshing those TC mount brackets in yellow :-).
    2. All brake lines was also redone and painted yellow and then re-installed back into the chassis.
    3. Fuel Lines installed and Painted.
    4. Breather System was built and installed into the chassis (Used the brake lines from the donor chassis I bought).
    5. Took the Free wheel hubs apart again as I realized I made a mistake when putting it back together 2 weeks ago. now it is all good.
    6. Hydraulic Clutch Cylinder mount bracket was built painted and Installed with the Clutch Cylinder (I have not seen a SJ with a Hydraulic clutch yet so this is also a 1st in SA most probably).
    7. Cleaned up and painted the Air-filter housing from the Nissan 2.4 Hard body that will be repurposed for this build.
    8. Painted and Re-Installed the Prop shafts back.
    9. Touched up some of the Scratches we made when Installing the Brakelines and one or 2 other places (Yes It will be scratched etc in future but let make it look nice for at least an hour :-) ).
    10. Started building Rock-sliders / Mount Points for the Exo-cage.
    11. Started to Sand down the Front wheel arches to prep it for Primer undercoating.
    12. Sanded down Fuel tank protection cover for painting.
    13. Installed Speedo gear + paint

Also had a Look at the Steering Damper shock and how to mount it as it did not look like it would fit 2 weeks ago. (I had a look at how the Jimny's One was installed (That was also done last week :-) - Jimny also got some upgrades)).

The Chassis mount point of the Shock needs to be moved then it will fit and work properly. - Not much on this build has been a "straight fit" when you replace parts that was worn or just completely destroyed.

Also looked into the possibility of installing Power steering and air-con. But for now that is not a Priority - But the possibility is there for both - The Air-con parts I already have as I got it with the motor :-).

Only a few things left on the chassis then move over to the body work and the installation of everything related to the body and the interior :-).

1. I Need to sort out the challenge of the exhaust Manifold install - will work on getting those sorted this week as I have a few options on how to resolve it at least.
    2. 4 Body mount points needs to be finalized.
    3. Stabilizer shock install and chassis mount point modification.
    4. Water hose installation for Heater System that needs to come from engine to cabin.
    5. Complete Rock-slider build - Body needs to be test fitted for this to be completed as well.
    6. TC Protection plate build.
    7. Gearbox and Sump protection plates build (This is additional just for added protection. yes It might not be needed but rather extra safe than sorry).
    8. Bump-stops still needs to be extended by 40mm.
    9. Paint and fit fuel tank protection cover (OEM Part).
    10. Build + Paint Speedo Sensor bracket
    Last edited by Fearl3SS; 2018/09/25 at 07:05 AM.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

I like that green and yellow colour combo.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Waaayyyy to bright colours for me, but I am sure it is going to look awesome when done and end of day it is the owner that need to be happy.

If I could do such a thing I would be bloody proud.

I think most of us have no idea what really goes into such a project. I have to acknowledge such talent.
    Last edited by johan65; 2018/09/27 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johan65 View Post
    Waaayyyy to bright colours for me, but I am sure it is going to look awesome when done and end of day it is the owner that need to be happy.

If I could do such a thing I would be bloody proud.

I think most of us have no idea what really goes into such a project. I have to acknowledge such talent.
    Each to their own neh. Hehe..
    Yep I have learned allot doing this with my dad. From something that was supposed to be kept stock and just repair the one or 2 things as you go along. To completely changing that Idea and do A full rebuild is really allot of work, and additional research that goes into it. With custom parts being build ect..
    To be honest I will not Do this for anyone else but myself.. I will gladly share my experience gained from this build (even though it is not much)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast