Spongebob The SJ410 - Page 2

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default Re: Spongebob The SJ410

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Sure about the 300+k kilometers? AFAIK the distance meter only counted to 99999.9 km then turned over, the speedo photo shows 37k odd kms with the last digit (white drum) shows 1/10th of kms? Looking at the condition I would guess it has about 137000kms, seals and things more the ravages of time.
    Maybe clocked over 3 times.
    Sent from my iPhone

Wow, you really have a beauty there. She looks very good for her age, and if looked after, will give many more years of service.

Some input for you -

1) Shocks - Gabriel shocks are a stock item from Midas, not expensive and worth the money - P/N: (F) - G45122 / (R) G45054

2) HT leads - Bogi Cord part numbers – 2x ER60, 2x ER70, 1x ER50 - ex. Midas

3) Oil filter - GUD Z159 / Plugs - NGK BP6ES - ex. Midas

4) Front Barfield oil seals - Suzuki genuine part - SGP-9285-00002. I see they leaking, this is normal when the vehicle ages. They also impact the handling as they are an absorber mechanism for wheel shock. They can be replaces in half an hour per side quite simply. Note when you replace them, you MUST replace the felt spacer with it. Can be done on the vehicle.

5) Alternator - Check the charge voltage - these vehicles use an old school mechanical voltage regulator (located in the front passenger foot well) and when they age the contacts wear out and the voltages change, impacting the battery life and the electrical system.

6) Clutch - As Saxj says, easily replace by removing the gearbox. Very straight forward one man job. Note - If possible get the genuine Suzuki part clutch plate. Some of the aftermarket ones do not fit nicely on the gearbox input shaft....

7) Main output oil seal - Can be replace when the gearbox is out, just remove the fly wheel. Not too complicated.

8-) Tyre Pressure - On stock 195 / 75 tyres, pressure should be 1.4 bar, on bigger tyres (215/ 75-80) you need to drop tyre pressure, I used to run 1.2 Bar on the 215's. Offroad you can go down to 0.8 bar on the y=tyres, they wont de-bead.

Hope this helps. :-)
    Last edited by Ericl; 2017/08/20 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Added tyre pressure info
    Eric L
    ---------------------

ME_______ - '09 SUZUKI JIMNY - Pipe Bumper / Under body Protection / Winch / Snorkel / Roof Rack / VHF+UHF Comms
    SWAMBO__ - MAHINDRA BOLERO - Feels like an SJ / loads like a truck / tows like a tank!
    RETIRED___ - '99 Gen 1 Grand Vitara / 1.6 Vitara JLX ...x2 / SJ413 SWB ...x3 / SJ413LWB ...x1 / SJ410 ...x2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Sure about the 300+k kilometers? AFAIK the distance meter only counted to 99999.9 km then turned over, the speedo photo shows 37k odd kms with the last digit (white drum) shows 1/10th of kms? Looking at the condition I would guess it has about 137000kms, seals and things more the ravages of time.
    Yep, i looked at it all wrong.. Haha, not used to these old cars.. But it can also be 237k km.. .

Thanks to everyone's advice thus far..
    Yep lots of maintenance stuff that needs to be done..
    I really need to start and draw up that to do list, and work through it.

I met saxj today. Was good chatting to you. Like that we have the same age swifts..

Thank you Eric. I will start getting qoutes asap on those part numbers that you supplied.

Here it is, the list I set to draw up of things that needs to be repaired or replaced discovered until now..
    There is probably a few things missing with and also the wrong Item names used..

This is what we have picked up until now that needs repairing and or replacement. This list will most probably grow.
    I have not marked the essentially of it..

Last edited by Fearl3SS; 2017/08/22 at 04:37 PM.

That's a long list of DIY NC items. Plenty of weekends are now being booked
    2009 Zook Jimny Sport / 2inch Jimnybits lift kit - AVO adjustable shocks / Adjustable panhard rods / 235/75r15 Kumho KL51

True fuel consumption is shown as FuellyData+7.4%
    Ex: 2010 Suk Grand Vitara
    Ex: Toyota Yaris TS

Build Thread: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ead?highlight=

Geluk met die geel grietjie spongebob. You will have many smiles

I saw this...
    mmm

at the current exchange rate it is R1092 excl import duties (dunno if there would be import duties on it)

Just bought one of those OME stabilisers for my SJ from 4X4 Mega world.... R2300!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wooky View Post
    Just bought one of those OME stabilisers for my SJ from 4X4 Mega world.... R2300!!
    Thank you.
    This ia good to know.. So makes me wonder if I should not just buy it over the interwebz then..

Have a look at Monroe shocks as well.
    I believe that they also make a steering damper that will fit in the stock position.
    When I was looking for one the local Monroe suppliers did not have any in stock locally but if you are importing one then might be somewhat cheaper than OME.

Some update to the little list of things.. I am driving it to close by destinations at the moment, cause it is fun..
    and also to see what else pops up that I need to look into :-).

The list is growing :-). But mostly all just maintenance stuff and ageing of this SJ.

I found that the oil leakage is not as bad as I thought.. Fixing the Dipstick basically solved it :-P.. Topped it up. and the level seems to stay exactly the same now for the past 5 times I drove it.

But I have found that it is loosing/ Leaking water, and it seems to be the Radiator it self. because on the catch pan below it there is water directly underneath it, and when I stop that is the place where water is dripping from. I checked the water pipes for cracks and if it might not be fastened properly. but I cant see or feel anything..

Does anyone have some advise to what to look for?

I think it would be a good Idea perhaps to take it to Silverton Radiators to have them check out the radiator as well.

Here is a screengrab update of my List - I have added pricing in as well, to qoute's vs actual paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooky View Post
    Have a look at Monroe shocks as well.
    I believe that they also make a steering damper that will fit in the stock position.
    When I was looking for one the local Monroe suppliers did not have any in stock locally but if you are importing one then might be somewhat cheaper than OME.
    you dont perhaps have a part number for a monroe Steering damper shock?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fearl3SS For This Useful Post:

The number I had / was looking for was
    Monroe SC2941 Magnum Steering Damper

https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-SC2941...ype=automotive

I have to ask - how did it pass a roadworthy with oils leaks, water leaks, leaking exhaust etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    I have to ask - how did it pass a roadworthy with oils leaks, water leaks, leaking exhaust etc.
    It is still licensed. Need to go for roadworthy still. Hence the list of things to fix..

Quote Originally Posted by Fearl3SS View Post
    It is still licensed. Need to go for roadworthy still. Hence the list of things to fix..
    I was always under the impression that the roadworthy is the responsibility of the seller (especially if it is a dealer)
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    I was always under the impression that the roadworthy is the responsibility of the seller (especially if it is a dealer)
    It was a private sale, purchased as is. dealership only handled the paperwork ect for me. . . So I dont have a issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fearl3SS View Post
    Thanks for clearing it up. Nothing to inspire a person like a deadline to work to.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    Thanks for clearing it up. Nothing to inspire a person like a deadline to work to.
    Exactly.. I would think it would go through roadworthy if the leakages (wich is minimal) is fixed..
    But I am a perfectionist so will get everything done mechanical to ensure that it passes 1st time. And then i have piece of mind about the parts as well that everything is good.. Good enough to start it at drive to capetown and back.. Hehe
    Last edited by Fearl3SS; 2017/11/05 at 06:53 PM. Reason: More detail added.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast