How will the resale be effected?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How will the resale be effected?

Good Day,

I am new to the 4X4 world. Due to the growing family, I started looking at the 7-seater and stretching my pocket a little bit to get one that is 4X4. I recently came across a 2014 Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ A/T with 70K on the clock for ZAR 300K. I have read a lot about the vehicle and will be more than happy to buy one with all the good, the bad and the limitations that various bloggers have mentioned.

The only thing that confuses me is Chevy leaving the market and how it will effect the resale value. Will I be overpaying if I buy the TB at 300K and what should I expect back if I want to sell it after 5 years.
    Looking forward to hear from the experts.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
    Shridhar Runthala.

Default Re: How will the resale be effected?

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Your question is a loaded one and is something that all of us TB owners have asked ourselves. I have not yet received an answer anywhere that said "Your resale value will be x% lower because of the withdrawal".

In the end the price will be determined by market factors - demand & supply.

From my personal experience I can vouch for the car 100% because it really is a great car. When it comes to resale you need to know that it will never have the resale value of a Fortuner, but in all other departments it is, in my opinion, a better vehicle than the previous generation Fortuner.

Also have a look at the Pajerosport.

All the best.
    Stephan
    "All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

By all accounts not a bad vehicle, however in my opinion I would wait a month or two just to see what the market does... You might pay R300k now just to see the same vehicle selling for R260k in two months time. Maybe or maybe not, but I would wait.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Conrady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Your question is a loaded one and is something that all of us TB owners have asked ourselves. I have not yet received an answer anywhere that said "Your resale value will be x% lower because of the withdrawal".

In the end the price will be determined by market factors - demand & supply.

From my personal experience I can vouch for the car 100% because it really is a great car. When it comes to resale you need to know that it will never have the resale value of a Fortuner, but in all other departments it is, in my opinion, a better vehicle than the previous generation Fortuner.

Also have a look at the Pajerosport.

All the best.
    Thanks Groenman for your honest opinion. Since you are a proud owner of a TB, could you please comment on maintenance cost and given the market condition is ZAR 300K justified for a 2014 TB 2.8 LTZ 4X4 A/T with 70K on the clock. Please suggest.
    Last edited by Shridhar; 2017/08/15 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shridhar View Post
    Thanks Groenman for your honest opinion. Since you are a proud owner of a TB, could you please comment on maintenance cost and given the market condition is ZAR 300K justified for a 2014 TB 2.8 LTZ 4X4 A/T with 70K on the clock. Please suggest.
    Price sounds a bit on the high side by just looking at Autotrader (see links below) you could get a similar deal for about R30 000 cheaper:

https://www.autotrader.co.za/used-ca...YXNjL3NlYXJjaA

https://www.autotrader.co.za/used-cars/chevrolet/trailblazer/2013-chevrolet-trailblazer-2.8d-ltz-auto-fpa-6cf17ac43e3f4e4cab38fcf0e714f642?search-path=L21ha2Vtb2RlbC9tYWtlL0NIRVZST0xFVC9tb2RlbC9UU kFJTEJMQVpFUi9taWxlYWdlL2xlc3MtdGhhbi05MDAwMC90cmF uc21pc3Npb25kcml2ZS80eDQtQVdEL3NvcnQvcHJpY2UvYXNjL 3NlYXJjaA

Look for a car with less than 90 000km on the clock, then you have one more service under service plan (5yr 90000km). Maintenance plan is 5yr 120 000km, so any niggles can be sorted under the maintenance plan.

Some things to note:
    • Brake pads can only be bought at the dealer and are expensive, but we have learned that the brake pads are exactly the same as those used on the KB300 Isuzu so no longer an issue,
    • Wipers - can only be bought at the dealer - cost me R1300 to replace last week (front and back)
    • The spare wheel is smaller. Depending on the towbar you can buy a new/secondhand full sized rim and fit a full size under your car (I have done this with mine)
    • The standard wheels are 265/60/R18 -so tyres are expensive
    • Shocks - you don't get standard shocks at places like Supaquick or TWT, you have to purchase at the dealer and once again very expensive. Other options are "Proper" shocks such as Ironman, AmadaXtreme etc.

From my side, I have not spent a lot on maintenance. As stated I have replaced the wipers now and I thought the price was a bit bonkers. See the sticky thread under Chev http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...st-odo-reading for some insights on minor issues experienced by others.
    Stephan

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

It will still be available but as the Isuzu MU-X in future. I suspect the resale won't be affected too much by Chev's withdrawel.
    2013 Tata Xenon 3.0 Dicor D/C
    2006 Honda Civic EXi FN2

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rolf For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    It will still be available but as the Isuzu MU-X in future. I suspect the resale won't be affected too much by Chev's withdrawal.
    Massive discounting by dealers now is resulting in Trailblazer (and Chevrolet values in general) dropping like hot stones. Panic selling is happening in the market now and traders (including GM dealers) are giving ridiculously low covers on them. Shop around and you'll see what I mean. There was even an earlier pre-facelift 2.5 LT model selling for R164k! I decided to cut my losses and take a knock and trade my 2017 Trailblazer 2.8 Z71 4x4 in against another brand, even though I really enjoyed this great car. The situation is only going to get worse as more and more used examples flood the market and once GMSA officially ceases to exist come year end. I decided to get out before the value dropped even further, to the point it would no longer be financially possible for me to do so, in terms of me settling the bank. Remember what happened to Hummer, Cadillac, Saab and Seat values once they exited...the difference here is that the entire Mother Ship is now leaving Planet SA! GMSA screwed us over big time buy not offering incentive money to their dealers, so that they could offer favourable cover prices to those wishing to sell their cars. My advice is to anyone (something given to me by dealers as well), is to get out now while you still can (should you wish to), otherwise commit to staying with the car for the long haul. There's bound to be a knock on negative effect on parts and body panel prices etc. going forward as well, with GMSA only committing to 10 years supply, following their exit announcement.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Obviously For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    Massive discounting by dealers now is resulting in Trailblazer (and Chevrolet values in general) dropping like hot stones. Panic selling is happening in the market now and traders (including GM dealers) are giving ridiculously low covers on them. Shop around and you'll see what I mean. There was even an earlier pre-facelift 2.5 LT model selling for R164k! I decided to cut my losses and take a knock and trade my 2017 Trailblazer 2.8 Z71 4x4 in against another brand, even though I really enjoyed this great car. The situation is only going to get worse as more and more used examples flood the market and once GMSA officially ceases to exist come year end. I decided to get out before the value dropped even further, to the point it would no longer be financially possible for me to do so, in terms of me settling the bank. Remember what happened to Hummer, Cadillac, Saab and Seat values once they exited...the difference here is that the entire Mother Ship is now leaving Planet SA! GMSA screwed us over big time buy not offering incentive money to their dealers, so that they could offer favourable cover prices to those wishing to sell their cars. My advice is to anyone (something given to me by dealers as well), is to get out now while you still can (should you wish to), otherwise commit to staying with the car for the long haul. There's bound to be a knock on negative effect on parts and body panel prices etc. going forward as well, with GMSA only committing to 10 years supply, following their exit announcement.
    This is probably the smart advice...

I was at GM on Friday for a service and a new TB is R100k less than when launched.

I am keeping my TB for now, and probably for a while still.
    Stephan

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

Cool Re: How will the resale be effected?

This is probably the smart advice...

I was at GM on Friday for a service and a new TB is R100k less than when launched.

I am keeping my TB for now, and probably for a while still.

Moenie dit vir Roelf se nie
    2014 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 Auto 4x4
    2015 Jurgens XT140 Ext... maar ek soek 'n Bush Lapa
    Who needs a diff lock if you have 500Nm's

Does the ostrich really stick its head in a hole to avoid facing reality?

I'm in for the long haul, no sense in pondering what should have happened. I bought a car that is a pleasure to drive and live with. I've managed to get a "patch" to make Android Auto work in SA, so I'm getting max benefit from that nice 8" screen and good sound system. That 6 speed box is an absolute pleasure. The centrifugal pendulam absorber in the lock-up clutch allows both 5th and 6th gear to always drive through a locked torque converter with zero "vibration" from the engine. I still need to take my Echo out on a trip, but I can't wait.

But, yeah, I'm sure I will be facing some challenges in the future. Luckily I bought this one as my "keeper". My kids will have to worry about the cover price when they settle my estate - serves them right for going to university on my wallet.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2017/08/16 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Does the ostrich really stick its head in a hole to avoid facing reality?

I'm in for the long haul, no sense in pondering what should have happened. I bought a car that is a pleasure to drive and live with. I've managed to get a "patch" to make Android Auto work in SA, so I'm getting max benefit from that nice 8" screen and good sound system. That 6 speed box is an absolute pleasure. The centrifugal pendulam absorber in the lock-up clutch allows both 5th and 6th gear to always drive through a locked torque converter with zero "vibration" from the engine. I still need to take my Echo out on a trip, but I can't wait.

But, yeah, I'm sure I will be facing some challenges in the future. Luckily I bought this one as my "keeper". My kids will have to worry about the cover price when they settle my estate - serves them right for going to university on my wallet.
    What a great car if it's going to be your keeper. So much better specced than the equivalent Fortuner and Everest models! I would have loved to have kept mine but would have been even more disappointed had I signed for one, just as the GMSA exit announcement was made and the salesman kept quiet about the whole issue. I would have lost and overpaid by more than R150k right there and then, without even driving the car off the showroom floor and getting to enjoy her for a bit.
    Last edited by Obviously; 2017/08/16 at 01:32 PM.

Solid comment there Roelf.

I believe a bit of perspective will help this thread. Surely, with GM leaving, heavy discounting on existing stock was always going to happen. However, it may take a new TB from R 650 000 to maybe R 550 000, but certainly it will not take a, say 3 year old well-loved TB currently on offer at R 300 000 to R 200 000. The demand, for all the right and wrong reasons, for SUV's are just too strong and the TB's in particular offers excellent value-for-money. Since I got out of double cabs and into spacious 7 - seaters, (we are a family of 5), the TB being my second such vehicle, previously a Fortuner, I can honestly say that I hope to have a large & spacious SUV in my driveway for a long time to come. Sure, I think for guys sitting with TB's a year or 2 old and IF they are looking to offload soon, there is bit of a bath waiting. For me, my 2013 model will soon be paid and I have zero concerns.

With mine now just shy of 150 000 km I can honestly say it is still rock-solid and can advise the OP to buy one eyes closed.

But herewith my question - and certainly not looking to highjack the thread. I was always going to just trade on a new TB. This option is now off the table. So, around R 650 000 to R 700 000, what spacious 7 seater that can handle a bit of rough stuff now?

(I am sure to upset a few trolls here!)

Fortuner - not till they have that autobox sorted.

Everest - I manage a fleet of Rangers (2.2's and 3.2). Will not touch it - we have ongoing mechanical problems on the Ford's, biggest of these a habit to go into limp mode often and for no reason. But please - not looking to start a bun-fight here.

Disco 4 - Have no intentions to become a gambling man - especially at the price range mentioned it will have to be a used sample.

Am starting to think my only options will be a 2nd hand Prado (V6) or Q7 (3l diesel).

Anyhow - to my fellow TB owners, enjoy them and do not worry too much.

Hopefully an Isuzu version becomes reality or VW gets clever and do an Amarok based SUV, slotted below the Treg.

Mooi bly,

Jaco

Jaco,
    I don't find the obvious answer in your post: the all new Pajero Sport.

Sales chap at GM reckons Isuzu will start importing the MU-X as soon as they are by themselves. I really hope so, as that will be a nice upgrade in 3-4 years or so.
    Stephan

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

Sales chap at GM reckons Isuzu will start importing the MU-X as soon as they are by themselves. I really hope so, as that will be a nice upgrade in 3-4 years or so.
    It is coming. It is not just speak from the sales chap.

For those wondering, I have absolutely no interest in the Trailblazer and don't plan on ever buying one. To be honest I don't really like it at all. Nothing wrong with it, I just don't like the way it looks, but that has nothing to do with the OP's question.
    2013 Tata Xenon 3.0 Dicor D/C
    2006 Honda Civic EXi FN2

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Jaco,
    I don't find the obvious answer in your post: the all new Pajero Sport.
    Well noted Sir. You may just be spot on. When will they become available?

I think they are here
    Go and check the Aussie forums and/or YouTube clips on reviews. It blows the other two big names out of the water.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2017/08/16 at 01:47 PM.

For info, according to the NAAMSA figures, Trailblazer volumes more than doubled for the facelift model (obviously not right now but for a while) vs. the average going rate for the pre-facelift model in its latter days, this despite them being in short supply. Shows how well the cars were received by the general public. Sad that it didn't get half the chance to make an impact on the local market though, since GMSA pulled the plug so soon after its launch.

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post

But herewith my question - and certainly not looking to highjack the thread. I was always going to just trade on a new TB. This option is now off the table. So, around R 650 000 to R 700 000, what spacious 7 seater that can handle a bit of rough stuff now?

(I am sure to upset a few trolls here!)

Fortuner - not till they have that autobox sorted.

Everest - I manage a fleet of Rangers (2.2's and 3.2). Will not touch it - we have ongoing mechanical problems on the Ford's, biggest of these a habit to go into limp mode often and for no reason. But please - not looking to start a bun-fight here.

Disco 4 - Have no intentions to become a gambling man - especially at the price range mentioned it will have to be a used sample.

Am starting to think my only options will be a 2nd hand Prado (V6) or Q7 (3l diesel).

Anyhow - to my fellow TB owners, enjoy them and do not worry too much.

Hopefully an Isuzu version becomes reality or VW gets clever and do an Amarok based SUV, slotted below the Treg.

Mooi bly,

Jaco
    You don't mention the obvious choice; the MU-X
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    For info, according to the NAAMSA figures, Trailblazer volumes more than doubled for the facelift model (obviously not right now but for a while) vs. the average going rate for the pre-facelift model in its latter days, this despite them being in short supply. Shows how well the cars were received by the general public. Sad that it didn't get half the chance to make an impact on the local market though, since GMSA pulled the plug so soon after its launch.
    Yip.
    I've said it before:
    I'm going to be driving a collecter's dream

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast