Question Light bulbs in front keep blowing

2104 Tunland, pre-registered in 2014. Bought it November 2016 and now has 18 000km on the clock and out of warranty.

Light bulbs in front keep on blowing.
    I have lost most of the front light bulbs twice now within 10 days. I have double checked ground which is good. I have talked with an electronic engineer friend of mine. What he says makes sense: light bulbs fail of mainly two reasons: Excessive vibration which causes the "glow wire" to physically break and secondly over voltage. He reckons that there is a spike in supplied voltage which causes the bulbs to fail/blow.
    I have measured voltage yesterday across positive- and negative terminals with engine idling at running at 2000rpm.
    At idle speed: 14.15V and at 2000rpm it is 14.3V. From what I have read on the net, these voltages are clear within range.
    I am going to buy a voltage meter which also records maximum voltage and fit it across terminals of the battery.
    Is there something else you can advise on what to check? Is there some other voltage regulator that can mess the voltage around?

On the Foton FB page someone suggested that the harness is faulty and causes voltage to spike. What I don't understand is how a faulty harness can cause increase in voltage.

I am dumbstruck and really need your help and suggestions.

Thank you so long for your help & suggestions.
    Last edited by deonholt; 2017/08/14 at 08:17 AM.

Default Re: Light bulbs in front keep blowing

Voltage sounds OK.

Is it the HEADLIGHT globes only or ALL THE GLOBES?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Voltage sounds OK.

Is it the HEADLIGHT globes only or ALL THE GLOBES?
    Headlights and fog lights.

Quote Originally Posted by deonholt View Post
    Headlights and fog lights.
    Those should be on separate relays.
    Trace the earth and check that.

Also, don't forget some vehicles still run the full voltage through the steering stalk, so if there are only fuses and no relays, see if there are any issues with the steering column wiring.

I suggest in the end that you drop it off at an auto elec and let him trace the issue: this could evolve into an expensive repair if it is some strange short circuit.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Trace the earth and check that.

I suggest in the end that you drop it off at an auto elec and let him trace the issue: this could evolve into an expensive repair if it is some strange short circuit.
    I have already sanded the area around the lug where it bolts onto the body.

Dropping it off at an auto lec is the reason I first want to try as much of the trouble shooting myself. I know they don't come cheap.

Thank you for your time and help.

After installation of the new bulbs, make sure that the "retainer spring", hold the bulb in place with no movement of the actual bulb in the housing.
    Have had similar problem with my Ranger previously. Have had no bulb issues with my Tunland.

Quote Originally Posted by RiaanB1025 View Post
    After installation of the new bulbs, make sure that the "retainer spring", hold the bulb in place with no movement of the actual bulb in the housing.
    Have had similar problem with my Ranger previously. Have had no bulb issues with my Tunland.
    Is there a way to modify the springs in order to make sure the bulbs are 100% secured?
    I'm on the brink of finding out how to remove the complete headlight unit in order to make sure every electrical connection is properly secured.

Install a relay to power the lights directly from the battery (via a fuse, of course).
    That eliminates any other circuit (that might interfere).
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post: