Charging Solutions for Waeco Mobicool

Default Charging Solutions for Waeco Mobicool

I have recently purchased a Waeco Mobicool for trips in the Jimny. Due to space and cost considerations, I chose not to go for a more conventional vehicle fridge.

I would appreciate advice on the best way to power the fridge when we are at camp (i.e. not driving). Are there more affordable and space-friendly alternatives to power the MobiCool than a conventional dual battery system like the National Luna Portable Dual Battery Kit (https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/p...-battery-kit)? #
    Last edited by AfricaBen; 2017/08/09 at 12:36 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AfricaBen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Charging Solutions for Waeco Mobicool

IIRC the Mobicool units are thermo-electric. This means cooling capacity is very limited and power consumption would roughly be almost double of what you'll see from a compressor-based unit. Your options for battery power when not driving would be limited. Your battery pack / second battery etc. would be discharged a lot quicker and need recharging a lot more often. My honest opinion: look for a well cared for used compressor fridge/freezer.
    ZS6VL

Perhaps try and sell it before your first trip ? Sadly not worth much as a fridge. Buy good cooler box rather.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

Agree with the above opinions. I bought one for our first ever trip to Namibia, got rid of it immediately on our return. It is not called a Mobi COOL for nothing: it only cools to about 15 deg. below ambient, so if it is 35C outside your beer will be at 20C! It flattens a battery in 2 hours in that sort of weather.

The only thermo-electric onethat works is the one with a radiator, fan and pump to circulate the cooling liguid. I had one, but it only just survived the guarantee period before it packed up. The others are a waste of money.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Well this is all a bit depressing. Thanks for all the advice guys.