Oztent Owners Thread - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Oztent Owners Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BroJ View Post
    I have a RV5 in very good condition with the executive sides, another extra awning that goes on the side and the attachment to join two tents together that I will be selling.I bought a Blinkgat camper and have no use for the tent any longer.
    Thanks... PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Johann, if that's the "gutter" that comes between the 2 Oztents, and you're willing to sell separately, please PM me with price?? I'm looking for that.I have 2 x RV5's.
    Petri, as die nuwe eienaar dit nie gaan gebruik nie is hy joune. For mahala........
    2013 Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4
    2015 Isuzu KB300

Johann

-----------------------------------------------------

Never test the depth of the water with both feet - W.E.Tnuts

Johann thanks SO much for my Krismis Box!!!

Appreciate your good heartedness!!
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

Question Re: Oztent Owners Thread

Hey everyone - just about to purchase the RV-4 and am wondering how animal-proof the extended sidewall/front panel room is?

We've had one or two unpleasant encounters with monkeys and baboons getting in to our 'kitchen' with our previous setup.

If not, any tips or recommendations from experience?

Thanks!
    Suzuki Jimny (2015)

Average Fuel consumption (mixed): 7.96L/100km
    Current Tyres: Continental World Contact AT, 205/70/r15, 25 000km
    Additions: K9 Roofrack (Eezi-Awn)
    • Radial Cup Protectors (F+R, Zombie) • Transfer Case Protector (Zombie) • Recovery Points (F+R, Zombie) • Steering Damper (Zombie) • Overhead Grab Rail (Suzuki Kenilworth) • Mudflaps (Flexi, Suzuki Kenilworth) • Cabin Air Filter (GUD) • De-Cat (Speedy Auto, Cape Town) • Custom Mini-Drawer System (DIY) • Flexopower Lithium444 Dual Battery in Rear (4x4 Megaword, Paarden Eiland)

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyr View Post
    Hey everyone - just about to purchase the RV-4 and am wondering how animal-proof the extended sidewall/front panel room is?

We've had one or two unpleasant encounters with monkeys and baboons getting in to our 'kitchen' with our previous setup.

Thanks!
    Made from the same material as the tent (8pz Ripstop Canvas). Zips are heavyduty YKK and are covered with canvas foldover that velcro in place so should be fairly difficult to open. Then again, there are some clever monkeys out there!

2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 - Legend 45
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Mountain Edition (Sold...)
    Bloemfontein

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JeeperCreepers For This Useful Post:

Your best option is to stow away all edibles. We did this ( in ammo boxes) and also left the tent open in Punda last week and the monkeys just leave if there is nothing to eat. Fresh produce was kept in the cooler box en the vehicle. They WILL get in, irrespective of how tight you close the tent.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Your best option is to stow away all edibles. We did this ( in ammo boxes) and also left the tent open in Punda last week and the monkeys just leave if there is nothing to eat. Fresh produce was kept in the cooler box en the vehicle. They WILL get in, irrespective of how tight you close the tent.

Thanks!

I guess leaving it open allows the animals to calmly see for themselves instead of breaking through to find out.
    • Did you leave the ammo boxes outside as well or zipped inside the main sleeping part of the tent?
    • Is there any way to secure the bottom of flaps of the sidewalls to the ground (outside of just putting some heavy stuff on them)?

We use ammo boxes too, and the fresh stuff stays in the fridge in the car. I'm sure it'll all work out.

One more question, the 'floor protector'...is it worth going with the OzTent one or are there other cheaper options to consider?

Thanks again 🙏
    Suzuki Jimny (2015)

• Radial Cup Protectors (F+R, Zombie) • Transfer Case Protector (Zombie) • Recovery Points (F+R, Zombie) • Steering Damper (Zombie) • Overhead Grab Rail (Suzuki Kenilworth) • Mudflaps (Flexi, Suzuki Kenilworth) • Cabin Air Filter (GUD) • De-Cat (Speedy Auto, Cape Town) • Custom Mini-Drawer System (DIY) • Flexopower Lithium444 Dual Battery in Rear (4x4 Megaword, Paarden Eiland)

Thanks!
    We had the monkeys get in our RV4 side panels at Augrabies last time we were there. We the stuff in the tent itself and used a small padlock to lock the zips. They clever little critters,
    Ross

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RMackay For This Useful Post:

Ammo boxes outside in the open, in the "kitchen" tent. We actually sat and watch their behavior - they are so brazen. They just do a quick sniff and taste around and if they do not find food, they leave quickly. They will taste stuff that looks edible, like whet wipes. One bite and they leave it. But keep in mind, wild animals are unpredictable. I have heard of them breaking open a cosmetic bag to try out what is inside (not on their faces )

Baboons can be really destructive and may break open a ammo box or cooler!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Ammo boxes outside in the open, in the "kitchen" tent. We actually sat and watch their behavior - they are so brazen. They just do a quick sniff and taste around and if they do not find food, they leave quickly. They will taste stuff that looks edible, like whet wipes. One bite and they leave it. But keep in mind, wild animals are unpredictable. I have heard of them breaking open a cosmetic bag to try out what is inside (not on their faces )

Baboons can be really destructive and may break open a ammo box or cooler!
    Thanks for the info - really helpful!
    Suzuki Jimny (2015)

Don't leave anything to chance with the little buggers around. Camping at Kosi a few years ago, we ziptied a zip on our tent together, they simply chewed through the ziptie, opened the zip and checked the tent out. Fortunately we had put everything, including bedding in the trailer, so they found a bare tent and left.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

just about to purchase the RV-4 and am wondering how animal-proof the extended sidewall/front panel room is?
    As a side note - be very sure that the RV4 is big enough for your requirements. A lot of people prefer the RV5 over the RV4 because of that extra space you get - that's why they created it. Still takes the same amount of time to erect. We ourselves upgraded from RV4 to RV5, primarily because we have longer camp beds.

The front panel room is nice to have, but takes rather long to erect and put away if you have been brainwashed about how quick the main tent erects.

A beaut of a tent. We used the main tent on the Lebombo trail in KNP, and added the front room only the last bit when we added a few nights in Punda. It rained quite a bit, but we coped quite well with the tent.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

We have an RV 5 and its a great size for a family of 3. Quick to pitch and plenty room but now on the hunt for the front deluxe panels etc to give us a bit more room. If anyone hears of any going do let me know.

Went camping this weekend and notices a very small wear mark in the outer tent. Any idea where i can get a repair kit for an oztent that will match the fabric colour?

Quote Originally Posted by Toccata (Roelof) View Post
    As a side note - be very sure that the RV4 is big enough for your requirements. A lot of people prefer the RV5 over the RV4 because of that extra space you get - that's why they created it. Still takes the same amount of time to erect. We ourselves upgraded from RV4 to RV5, primarily because we have longer camp beds.

The front panel room is nice to have, but takes rather long to erect and put away if you have been brainwashed about how quick the main tent erects.

A beaut of a tent. We used the main tent on the Lebombo trail in KNP, and added the front room only the last bit when we added a few nights in Punda. It rained quite a bit, but we coped quite well with the tent.
    Thanks for sharing your experience and advice!

One more question for all RV owners out there:

• Can you store the tent standing vertically at home when not in use, or should it be laid flat on the ground/shelf to prevent damage?
    Suzuki Jimny (2015)

Mines been standing in the corner of the garage for ten years, I’ve never stored it flat

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Mines been standing in the corner of the garage for ten years, I’ve never stored it flat
    Thanks Bruce!

I just heard back from OzTent Aus and they confirmed that storing it standing up shouldn't be a problem at all.

🙌
    Suzuki Jimny (2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Choppie81 View Post
    Nice thread everyone. Recently decided to go the Oztent route. Haven’t bought yet but been looking around.

Not sure if we should go new or 2nd hand but it’s hard to find used ones.

We’re set on the RV5 so if there are any out there available that you know of please let me know.

Someone from the forum contacted me and offered to have a look at their RV5 setup early January and I’m looking forward to it.
    I have a complete rv4 tent with tag along plus a brand new never used flysheet the tent was used twice the current setup brand new will cost 28000 rand I will let it go for 20 meerkat stretcher is included

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5