Oztent Owners Thread - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Oztent Owners Thread

Thanks for the advice everybody. I better started working on that board now - maybe aluminium "planks"?

Reading your question initially, I also thought about some planks, but then immediately thought they would still bend down too much to be of sufficient value.
    But happy to hear it worked for Mike, so it could be workable for your parameters too.
    You might need to support the "planks" with some I-bar type bars to avoid the planks bending down.
    And you will need to check that your overhang in the back is not too long to be a safety hazard - not sure what the law says the max overhang at the back may be before needing a red flag.

...likely I'm just overengineering here...
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Toccata (Roelof) For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shfish View Post
    Thanks for the advice everybody. I better started working on that board now - maybe aluminium "planks"?
    I've personally never been concerned about the tents, I have been concerned about the load on the load bars though. You say yours are cribs of the Oztent, I'm going to assume they are "good" cribs. Oztent will never bend under vibration, but could conceivably fatigue crack.

So take your tent, put it on your shoulder and jump with it. Now try with the "plank". Here's what I suspect:
    - The tent will be pretty rigid. Now a long slender member which doesn't whip, won't fatigue crack. On your roof they will be even more supported.
    - You will be able to get a nice whip in the plank, unless it's something like a railway sleeper.

So you're going to strap your rigid tent to a nice flexible plank, or my experience and assumptions are way off base. Those planks have mass... you see where I'm going with this?

Now test 2. Google Oztent cracking on roof rack. If it's a genuine concern there should be plenty of hits, Oztent is over twenty years old iirc. Now google broken overloaded roof rack. You see where I'm going with this?

Btw aluminum is very flexible, about 3 times steel.

Anyway that's my 5c.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceB For This Useful Post:

Thanks again guys - This is really useful info.

Hi All,

Update before our trip. Bought two stretchers and took them back the next day. Difficult to set up and very very hard set. As advised I bought two Carmaquip mattresses, look the part and I don't think we will be disappointed.

Question: is a flysheet needed for this time of year in Kgalagadi? Think not but just checking.
    Ross

So, after a 3 week camping trip in the Oztent (West Coast, Au Grabies, Kgalagadi and Mokala), I can happily report back that the CarmaQuip mattresses impressed us. Really cant complain, and in hindsight I'm glad we never took stretchers as well.

The tent was equally impressive and gave us no real problems. Condensation was not an issue at all. Some nights proved a little "fresh" for me though. I think our Cape Storm Blaze 250C sleeping bags were adequate, but we should have taken an extra heavy blanket or two (we had none). I did find that with a reasonable wind blowing, that the side panels moved a bit despite having the guy ropes as tight as possible. I agree with the other comments that the tent itself is quick to set up, but the panels take a considerable mount more time. For the first few days I packed the bag with the panels and extra poles separately on the roof rack, thereafter I just packed them inside with the tent itself.

Something I never really paid much attention to with the rooftop tent was the position of the tent other than under as much shade as possible. I had to change the position of our tent at Mata Mata quickly after setting up because of the gusts of wind in the afternoon. Before setting up, choose your spot, get your chair and table out, open a beer and observe for 30 minutes if you have the time. Then face the door of the tent in the opposite direction to the wind. Wind direction might change but no one enjoys half the Kgalagadi's sand in their tent

Unfortunately, I managed to somehow put a small hole in the one corner of the tent floor. I have no idea if this happened during transit or whilst set up. Will have to get that fixed up soon.

My wife had the idea of taking a piece of fake grass along for the veranda. I wasn't sure about this but went along with the idea. Other than something else to unpack/pack, it proved to be a hit. It acts as the dirt and thorn trap second to none. 2m x 1m is all we needed.

Now, I need to clean the birds business from the roof of the tent. Any tips?
    Ross

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RMackay For This Useful Post:

Ross, how about a trip report with a few pictures!!!?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bostokkelos For This Useful Post:

Bird mess - I have not tried this but am told a light brushing works....

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Bostokkelos View Post
    Ross, how about a trip report with a few pictures!!!?
    Hi Barry, might post a report once we get through all the photos, but Iíve realized my narrative abilities are shoddy
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Bird mess - I have not tried this but am told a light brushing works....
    With some water? Any soap?
    Ross

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RMackay For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RMackay View Post
    With some water? Any soap?
    We were told use dove soap in water not direct onto tent and gentle rub/scrub so U don't remove the waterproofing ...have done out Tentco often as even with cover birds manage to sh.. .sideways 🤣🤣

17. The Following User Says Thank You to patrick miller For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by patrick miller View Post
    We were told use dove soap in water not direct onto tent and gentle rub/scrub so U don't remove the waterproofing ...have done out Tentco often as even with cover birds manage to sh.. .sideways 🤣🤣
    Canít win! Want shade or bird pooh? Comes with the joys I guess
    Ross

Hi All,

Unfortunately we are selling our OZTent RV5 as we are immigrating. The strict regulations for getting a used tent into Aus is worrying me.

Have put the tent on the classifieds if anyone is interested:
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/classi...?product=46920

Let me know if you have a friend that might be interested in the tent.

Regards,
    NonesZA
    Last edited by NonesZA; 2018/02/05 at 04:15 PM.

Nice thread everyone. Recently decided to go the Oztent route. Havenít bought yet but been looking around.

Not sure if we should go new or 2nd hand but itís hard to find used ones.

Weíre set on the RV5 so if there are any out there available that you know of please let me know.

Someone from the forum contacted me and offered to have a look at their RV5 setup early January and Iím looking forward to it.

Good choice! Be carefull going second hand. There is a thread regarding a scam related to an Oztent go for a good price doing the rounds on here.

2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 - Legend 45
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Mountain Edition (Sold...)
    Bloemfontein

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JeeperCreepers For This Useful Post:

Ek het my twee oz tente verkoop so ruk trug jy moet net self gaan kyk dat dit in goeie kondisie nog is

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Leon Venter For This Useful Post:

I've had my RV3 for about 10 years. It is without a doubt the best tent I have ever owned. It is just the basic setup, no extra side walls or fly sheets. As previously mentioned here, I have yet to see a wind storm that has any effect on the tent and the last time I used it (about a month ago) had a rain storm with 35mm falling in 30 minutes. Not a single drop inside.
    It has been on many overlanding trips to CKGR, Okavango and Namibia as well as various remote skiboat fishing trips on the beaches of northern Moz. After all that, not one hole or rip or hassle with the frame.
    SWAMBO is not interested in camping so I am usualy the only occupant. I use a stretcher with a foam matress on top and place it along the back wall of the tent, so tons of room. I have always placed a jam jar lid or mayonnaise bottle lid under each leg of the stretcher which just stay in the little inside pocket of the tent when packing up. A small folding side table adds to my comfort so no scratching around on the floor for my smokes at night.

A 1 x 1 metre square of imitation lawn at the front door works great and I pitch the thing on one of those netting type ground sheets. A gentle shake of the ground sheet every day keeps that clean as well.
    The only addition I might consider is a side wall to the front awning which could be shifted to different sides for shade or wind protection. Does anybody know if something interchangeable like this is available?
    I transport the tent either on the deck of my skiboat or it fits perfectly inside my trailer when heading to dryer climates.

I am a fan of the Oztent and can't see myself ever using anything else
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

Platcars don't count on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Choppie81 View Post
    Weíre set on the RV5 so if there are any out there available that you know of please let me know. .
    I have a RV5 in very good condition with the executive sides, another extra awning that goes on the side and the attachment to join two tents together that I will be selling.I bought a Blinkgat camper and have no use for the tent any longer.
    2013 Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4
    2015 Isuzu KB300

Johann

-----------------------------------------------------

Never test the depth of the water with both feet - W.E.Tnuts

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BroJ For This Useful Post:

I noticed a small hole near the rear of the tent on the floor. I suspect it happened while on the roof rack and chaffing against the high lift bracket on corrugated first roads. Any advice on how to repair it. Only asking in case we by some chance get semi flooded one day..
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by BroJ View Post
    I have a RV5 in very good condition with the executive sides, another extra awning that goes on the side and the attachment to join two tents together that I will be selling.I bought a Blinkgat camper and have no use for the tent any longer.
    Johann, if that's the "gutter" that comes between the 2 Oztents, and you're willing to sell separately, please PM me with price?? I'm looking for that.

I have 2 x RV5's.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast