Oztent Owners Thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Oztent Owners Thread

Our tarp is close enough to the tent's footprint, so that works for us too.

One thing I did not mention, is having 2 small "dirt trapper" mats to put down. Very handy, especially when it is rainy outside.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

I jus bought a ground sheet from 4x4 Megaworld that provides the conventional ground sheet use but enough to go underneath the tent as well. It's a Desert Products banded one. Will that not provide sufficient protection to the underneath of the tent? The guys at the shop reckon it will.
    Ross

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RMackay For This Useful Post:

We (family of 5) use 2 Oztent RV3s, usually set up facing each other with the awnings joined with what I think they call a caravan strip which allows you to zip the awnings together and even has a built in downpipe to direct rain water away from the tents.

We use the Tentco roll up foam mattresses, and find them quite comfortable (far better than inflatables).

I use a piece of shade-netting under the tents (footprint around 2m x 8m) which is big enough to fit under both tents and the space between them.

This setup gives us quite a big area under cover for when we need shade or it is raining.

I always keep the vents above the door open, and use the supplied ropes to keep the bottom of the rear window open, even in the coldest weather and this solves most of the condensation problems.

The older of the 2 tents is at least 10 years old and the newer one around 8 or 9 years old. Both purchased from Bud Morris who was the cheapest by quite some margin.

These tents have been through some extremely violent storms where dome tents were blown away with their contents, and caravans and caravan tents badly damaged, without any damage to them. Now and again I've had to repair a small hole and have simply used a piece of ripstop canvas glued on with contact adhesive.
    Last edited by Imvubu; 2017/08/18 at 08:14 AM.
    Erin Bosch (082 342 1909)
    4xfagger no. GP0048

2001 Land Rover Defender 130 TD5 D/C with everything

RV-4 with a pvc ground sheet, then a netted 6x2 something ground sheet over it. If it's dirty / wet, square groundsheet for inside.

Use self inflating mattresses, and speed up the process with a mattress pump from the car. Might get some light stretchers and would definitely use something for the feet if we do.

Awning poles are too short so use them for the front window, bought longer ones for the main one. Be careful of which ones you buy as the eyelets are small.

Have a 7ah battery that sits in the tent and light attached that can last for a week of nights. The slot for power is useful.

We always sleep with at least one of the tiny windows open and have had no condensation issues. Have got a disposable dehumidifier if it becomes and issue during a rainy camping session.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James-Black For This Useful Post:

A dirt trapper mat makes a huge difference. We also take one with, it goes on top of the passengers foot mat in the car when travelling so takes zero extra space
    We have also bought a 7ah 12v battery (and Lumeno Battery Buddy) to use for lighting, have 2 lights from National Luna, one for inside the main tent and one for the "front room".

More tips:
    1. When camping where it is sandy, I throw some sand on the flaps that surround the bottom of the front room. It really seals off the room nicely.
    2. When raining, drop one of the corners of the "verandah" slightly so that water sheets off to one side and does not pool on top.
    3. We take with 2 of those cheap "shoe hangars" that has space for a few pairs of shoes that goes behind a bedroom door. We hang those on each side of the entrance door and put things such as cutlery, lighter, serviettes etc there. They fold up small and prevent us having to dig through ammo boxes all the time

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NonesZA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RMackay View Post
    I jus bought a ground sheet from 4x4 Megaworld that provides the conventional ground sheet use but enough to go underneath the tent as well. It's a Desert Products banded one. Will that not provide sufficient protection to the underneath of the tent? The guys at the shop reckon it will.
    That should work perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by NonesZA View Post
    That should work perfectly
    Thank you.
    Ross

Did you decide on stretchers Ross?

Quote Originally Posted by James-Black View Post
    Did you decide on stretchers Ross?
    No not yet James. Spoke to the guy at Carmaquip mattresses and he reckons you don't need stretchers with their mattress. Says that a mattress on top of a stretcher could be uncomfortable in that you'd feel cramped in on the sides with the mattress pushing up. Had a point so I'm going to see him tomorrow hopefully.
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by RMackay View Post
    No not yet James. Spoke to the guy at Carmaquip mattresses and he reckons you don't need stretchers with their mattress. Says that a mattress on top of a stretcher could be uncomfortable in that you'd feel cramped in on the sides with the mattress pushing up. Had a point so I'm going to see him tomorrow hopefully.
    Going to see them in person is definitely worth it.... they let you lie down on their sample mattresses so you can see how they feel. You can also the feel the quality of the materials that they use. You wont be sorry.

I bought a small mattress from them for my strecher. Maybe it differs from person to person but it worked perfectly for me.
    The bigger ones might do that.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Hi Guys
    We are heading to Kgalagadi in December for our Honeymoon. We will be staying in all the Bots camps. 2 questions, how do we cure our RV5.And how necessary is it to have a fly sheet.

We found the reflective fly sheet works really well in the heat. It was the first addition we bought. Put the fly sheet up and fully open all the "windows" for maximum draft but still in shade.
    2011 Suzuki Jimny, Rocksliders (Bluerocket), Underbody protection (Stofpad), Roofrack (African Outback)
    Drawer System (self)

Quote Originally Posted by vstromPE View Post
    We found the reflective fly sheet works really well in the heat. It was the first addition we bought. Put the fly sheet up and fully open all the "windows" for maximum draft but still in shade.
    Have not really used it in the heat. I was doubtfull about the claim that it will prevent condensation inside the tent, something we were always plagued with in various tents, the RV included. We have now camped in really cold conditions and it really work well as we have not had any condensation on the inside of the roof.
    Cobus
    2010 Jimny

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jab2 For This Useful Post:

And you think the RV is expensive.

Enter the latest US Military 1 man tent from Nemo at R30 000 plus various covers at R2600 per cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kglnKJiEpNc
    Cobus
    2010 Jimny

Hi Guys
    Forgive me for bringing up the Wizz brand here......don't mean to hijack the thread but this seems the appropriate place to ask my question.
    I recently bought a Wizz 24 which measures 2,4 m (W) x 2.0 m (D) x 2.0m high. Packed in it's bag, the carrier bag is about 2 metres in length which I think is the same as the Oztents. I intend to transport the tent on my roof racks but the roof racks are only 1,2 metres apart, so this means the packed tent will overhang by 400mm at either end. I.m worried that on a rough road like in KTP the severe jolting may bend the tent frame whilst in transit on the racks. How do you folks convey your Oztents?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shfish View Post
    ... so this means the packed tent will overhang by 400mm at either end. I.m worried that on a rough road like in KTP the severe jolting may bend the tent frame whilst in transit on the racks.
    Yeah I would not be keen to do this.
    My RR is 2.0m long, so no problem there.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

When I used roof racks I fixed a 2100x450 board to the rails and strapped the tent to that

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mike morrison For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shfish View Post
    Hi Guys
    Forgive me for bringing up the Wizz brand here......don't mean to hijack the thread but this seems the appropriate place to ask my question.
    I recently bought a Wizz 24 which measures 2,4 m (W) x 2.0 m (D) x 2.0m high. Packed in it's bag, the carrier bag is about 2 metres in length which I think is the same as the Oztents. I intend to transport the tent on my roof racks but the roof racks are only 1,2 metres apart, so this means the packed tent will overhang by 400mm at either end. I.m worried that on a rough road like in KTP the severe jolting may bend the tent frame whilst in transit on the racks. How do you folks convey your Oztents?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike morrison View Post
    When I used roof racks I fixed a 2100x450 board to the rails and strapped the tent to that
    Good idea. Simple yet effective solution.
    Ross

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast