Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: D500

Default D500

Got it this morning. After being used to 7200's for sport I was absolutely blown away this afternoon doing the paarl inter schools rugby between Boys high and Gimnasium.

The auto focus is amazingly fast. Do get at least a full stop extra over and above what I was used to. Maybe even a bit more.

Was going 1/1250 - 1/1600 and f2.8 up to f5 the whole afternoon.

...and the speed is amazing. It just go krrrrrrrrrrrr as long as you keep the shutter down.

Whooooohooo happy chappy tonight.

Default Re: D500

So it costs more than R30k, these things are expensive

Quote Originally Posted by johan65 View Post

...and the speed is amazing. It just go krrrrrrrrrrrr as long as you keep the shutter down.

Whooooohooo happy chappy tonight.
    Glad you got one Johan, its an excellent unit. Just make sure you have enough battery power.....

Congrats. Great camera. Turn on airplane mode to turn-off bluetooth. Makes big difference on battery life.

Snapbridge currently still sucks over D7200 WMU app. I only use snapbridge to turn-on wifi as no option to do that seperately on D500 & then switch & use WMU app to download photo's to ipad. Snapbridge cannot download & view raw files - only jpg. Hopefully they will fix this in future appdates & firmware.
    Bennie van der Merwe
    Windhoek
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Prev 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb M/T

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BennvdmWhk For This Useful Post:

Thank you all.

Yes i did notice battery drain faster. I will have to spend a few evenings with the handbook to make sure i know this new toy like i did the 7200's. Yes cant sleep still checking everything out.

Quote Originally Posted by mfuwefarmer View Post
    Glad you got one Johan, its an excellent unit. Just make sure you have enough battery power.....
    Thank you. It was you who told me about your D500 and then decided to save a little more and get what i really want.
    Thanks

If into sports, moving animals, airplane, low light .... the modern range of Nikon and Canon REALLY makes a huge difference !!

ENJOY !

Very nice Johan - great camera enjoy!

Suzi Blue 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Air Lift 1000 60902 Kit, 16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres
    Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates, Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    Metalian Genie Trailer

Baie geluk Johan!
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2017/08/07 at 05:17 AM.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    Baie geluk Johan!
    Dankie nou moet ek kom vir klasse om sulke mooi voŽl fotos soos jy te kan neem

Ek sou nie as ek jy is nie. Jy sal dalk huis toe gaan sonder 'n kamera...

Ek is baie jaloers.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Congrats johan65, very envious! Please keep the reports coming.

I see you also posted about the D750 in the past, were you weighing up the 2 against each other? The reason I ask is I am, and can't really decide. (my only other body is a D90 so no FX as in your arsenal).

I also discussed it with a good mate who is a professional wedding & glamour photographer and he suggested the D750. As I do mostly wildlife (with the complimentary landscape pics and then the usual family snaps) the DX actually suits my needs better. He made an interesting comment though - "what you gain with the DX in reach you can crop with the (better quality) FX in photoshop". This of course has not help my decision making at all!

The "irritating" thing is these 2 bodies were recently on special at exactly the same price at around R26 000.

Your (and anybody else's opinion on deciding between the D750 & D500? (if you feel I am hijacking your thread please just say so and I will start a new thread).

Thanks.
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

The d750 i looked at just crossed my path at a very very good price and therefore asked for some feedback. It was never a comparison issue. The D500 has always been at the back of my mind. The 750 was only because it was actually a bargain at the time. So even if I did bought it I would have ended up buying a D500 (just a couples months later)

One thing I can say is that the D500 I used during last weeks sports sessions blown away all my expectations. I wanted something really fast and I really got a lot more.. Cant stop smiling. For me this will always be my sport camera.

Did a shoot yesterday and last night I worked through pics. Man I am in love with this camera.

End of day I think it boils down to your genre of photography and that would dictate the camera that suit your requirements best.
    Last edited by johan65; 2017/08/10 at 06:17 PM.

As a D750 shooter who does birds in flight, general wildlife, aircraft and landscapes (especially at night), i would love a D500 as a second body, but am not prepared to even consider swapping the D750 for a D500.

I recently took some landscapes at sunrise. Even after lifting both the blacks and the shadows to 100%, i still can't see any noise.

In effect, i agree with Johan, the extra speed, and especially focus speed would be very handy to me, but I am in love with the D750's incredible low-light performance, and to me it seems that so much of what is special happens when the light is low.

The D750's AF speed (and probably the buffer too) is already far in advance of the D90 you are used.

Thus the only advice i can really offer is to hire both for a weekend and put them through their paces...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by walkabout View Post
    Your (and anybody else's opinion on deciding between the D750 & D500? (if you feel I am hijacking your thread please just say so and I will start a new thread).

Thanks.
    The D750, even though it has a good sensor seems to have real issues with the shutter which Nikon is struggling with
    See this: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/07/13/i...impacted.aspx/

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Comp...750___1061_975
    As I said good sensor but for the shutter

That D500 is an excellent camera for wildlife & sport. Search youtube for more info
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2017/08/10 at 07:31 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mfuwefarmer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mfuwefarmer View Post
    The D750, even though it has a good sensor seems to have real issues with the shutter which Nikon is struggling with
    See this: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/07/13/i...impacted.aspx/
    There is another way to look at this: you can buy a second-hand camera, and have the primary wearing component replaced free of charge. Thus for the price of a second-hand, you get effectively a new camera...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Have you tried of built-in af fine tuning with your D500 ?

I was lucky enough to be able to buy a D500 second hand for $1599, although box looked like it was never opened before. What an absolute pleasure. It's my first DSLR, only shot with point and shoot cameras on full auto before. Haven't even touched the manual yet, but learning to use it in manual mode was really easy. It's a bit of a cheat using this camera. Love it! You can see some sample shots in my trip review from Botswana:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e-called-Harry

24. The Following User Says Thank You to MrTolbos For This Useful Post:

Now, trigger time! Guys some further advice please - even if I ignore it all it helps shape the decision...

ODP has the D500 and D750 on special and I am worried about the falling Rand as I want to buy quite soon. I prefer to buy new or fairly new.

I would like to get an FX, so D750, as I already have an (admittedly old) DX camera (D90). But the shutter issue bothers me, also resale value. The 610 does not sound like what I want and the D810, D4 & up too expensive for me.

I am just an amateur hobbyist so no "main focus" but I enjoy wildlife, birds etc. the most, but one obviously does landscape & people/family as well, sort of "travel & holiday" photos. Not really sport photography.

Peter Connan what do you say now of the choice of the D750 with the 2nd recall? Johan65 you still satisfied with the D500 (rather than D750)? I noted your initial reply so maybe a silly question.

Bertie I have checked youtube, everybody is mostly happy with the D500. D750 excellent camera but for the 2 issues.

Anybody else?

Nice photos by the way MrTolbos - great trip report.

Thanks guys.
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by walkabout View Post
    Now, trigger time! Guys some further advice please - even if I ignore it all it helps shape the decision...

ODP has the D500 and D750 on special and I am worried about the falling Rand as I want to buy quite soon. I prefer to buy new or fairly new.

I would like to get an FX, so D750, as I already have an (admittedly old) DX camera (D90). But the shutter issue bothers me, also resale value. The 610 does not sound like what I want and the D810, D4 & up too expensive for me.

I am just an amateur hobbyist so no "main focus" but I enjoy wildlife, birds etc. the most, but one obviously does landscape & people/family as well, sort of "travel & holiday" photos. Not really sport photography.

Peter Connan what do you say now of the choice of the D750 with the 2nd recall? Johan65 you still satisfied with the D500 (rather than D750)? I noted your initial reply so maybe a silly question.

Bertie I have checked youtube, everybody is mostly happy with the D500. D750 excellent camera but for the 2 issues.

Anybody else?

Nice photos by the way MrTolbos - great trip report.

Thanks guys.
    If I had to choose again (and I'm probably going to get a second one) I would get the D500. 10 Fps, 150 focus points, ergonomic dream, and still amazing at low light. I see myself happy with this camera for more than the next decade, or probably until it goes to camera heaven one day.

Have a look at these two clowns, try to listen past the nonsense they say:

https://youtu.be/6Yd8RZd9wR4

My 2c

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast