VW Cross Up! vs Fiat Panda Cross - Page 4

View Poll Results: Which city car would you choose?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • VW Cross Up!

23 32.39%
  • Fiat Panda Cross

48 67.61%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: VW Cross Up! vs Fiat Panda Cross

Quote Originally Posted by GasHog View Post
    Drive em both and buy the one you enjoy more. I'm sttill in VW corner.
    I should add I'm very surprised that the majority of votes are for the Panda. I expected the (with all due respect) traditionally conservative Forum to vote more for the established VW instead of the unknown newcomer.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    I should add I'm very surprised that the majority of votes are for the Panda. I expected the (with all due respect) traditionally conservative Forum to vote more for the established VW instead of the unknown newcomer.
    I think what's happening here is that everyone is so excited about the inevitable <insert car here> as a viable platkar thread... and everyone still has this old image of Fiats in their head that'll leave you stranded frequently... much to our amusement.

😇

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lisse View Post
    Get a Sandero Stepway and fit it with a pushbar, that way you won't damage the paint when you park it at night. That meets all your criteria. 😌
    On paper I love the Stepway. But the driving experience is a generation or more behind the Up!. If it wasn't for the tight parking space, I'd have a hard time saying no to a Stepway.

If Renault made the Kwid safer (ABS, ESP, more airbags) for around R20K more, combined with that 5 year 150 000km warranty, it would probably be in my driveway already, long ago.

I think what's happening here is that everyone is so excited about the inevitable <insert car here> as a viable platkar thread... and everyone still has this old image of Fiats in their head that'll leave you stranded frequently... much to our amusement.

😇
    I think you confuse excitement with dread

I think you confuse excitement with dread
    Its dreadful how excited we are?

Its dreadful how excited we are?
    I'm excited at how dreaded everyone are

We should stop before it gets lame

I drove the Up!, it's a car I could easily own. It's one of those cars where the first time you get in you drive it as if you've owned it for years. Everything is exactly where you expect it to be, and controls operates with a familiar and calculated weight, from closing the door to operating the clutch to the indicator stalk.

The Up! has a continuity of build that only German manufacturers seems to be able to get so spot on.

If I sound impressed, I am.
    As mentioned before had many VW flat cars and have nothing but good experiences and good things to say. As you say above they just seem right, guess that's why leaning where I do.

It'll be interesting to see how you feel after driving the
    '06 TJ Wranger | 4.0L Auto| 4.5" Lift | 35" Copper STT | 15" MT Classic II Black | 4.88 Gears

Quote Originally Posted by GasHog View Post
    As mentioned before had many VW flat cars and have nothing but good experiences and good things to say. As you say above they just seem right, guess that's why leaning where I do.

It'll be interesting to see how you feel after driving the
    If I could get the performance and ability of the Panda with the build and dealer network of the Up! = perfect city car in my opinion.

Oh and the interior of the Up!. That Panda really has an ugly dash in pictures. Hopefully it's better in the flesh

You can have a look at the Suzuki ignis as well. It is in the same class.

Wow the Panda leads with 16 votes over the 8 for the Up!, I am surprised

So I saw the Panda Cross in the flesh.

It looks bigger than it is.
    Unfortunately I couldn't drive it, the dealer only had one unit which was sold already and another upstairs which still had to go through PDI.
    I could however sit in it and get a feel for the car.

General quality seems good, the interior doesn't feel as solid as the Up! and there are hard plastic everywhere. Everything is clearly marked though and ergonomically it's very good. The seat has better adjustment than the Up!, but the steering only adjusts for rake and not reach.
    Back seat space is similar, fine for 2 people despite the provision on 3 x 3 point belts.
    Boot space is a fair bit bigger than the Up!, but unlike the Up! the load area isn't completely flat when you fold down the seats.

Interestingly, the Panda doesn't have a fuel cap! There's just a rubber cover attached to the fuel filler door.
    Not sure how I feel about this, it probably works. But then again now there also isn't a fuel cap to lose.

Lastly, I've noticed that Fiat has reduced the service intervals from 30 000km to 15 000km, a very good move in my opinion.

I should be able to test drive the Panda Cross later this week, and will report back on how it goes with that little 2 cylinder 875cc engine

The dealer also kindly mailed me these:

Product Bulletin Fiat Panda - Updated.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images

I voted for the Panda cause it is safer for someone to be the guinea pig

Although I REALLY like the VW Cross Up I will vote for the Panda Cross. This is the 4x4 community after all, so being a 4x4 I believe it should get the nod.

Would be interesting to hear your feedback on the drive once you get a chance. I suppose it will be slightly less comfortable than the VW due to the extra drivetrain being carried around.

CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Really the only question seems to be what color Johan will order his Fiat in....

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    I voted for the Panda cause it is safer for someone to be the guinea pig
    With 6.5 million Pandas sold worldwide and this particular engine in production since 2010, I think it's a fairly proven product.

The engine also won lots of awards

"In the 2011 International Engine of the Year awards, the 875cc TwinAir won Best Engine Under 1 Liter, Best New Engine, Best Green Engine and International Engine of the Year."

Default VW Cross Up! vs Fiat Panda Cross

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Really the only question seems to be what color Johan will order his Fiat in....
    Red obviously, so it will blend in when I take the best parking spot every night, you know

You know what they say, arrogance is bliss
    Last edited by Johan Slabbert; 2017/08/07 at 03:48 PM.

My wife bought the VW Cross Up! just over a year ago. I drive this car very often and I must say, it grows on you. I was very sceptical about the engine and initially felt the car lacked oomph. But the car has now loosened up a bit and I have also become more used to the gearing - if you use the gears to suit the demands you can really get this thing moving. The car cruises on the highway at 120 without any hassles, no problems with passing slower traffic or uphills - you actually need to watch it, before you know it you sit at 130+. It has got good brakes, very good handling (apparently the slightly bigger wheels helps a lot) and is well built. Not a rattle or a squeak. The boot, of course, is something else though the removable floor gives you a surprising amount of space. It can be very cramped for four people - when I am driving (I'm 1.82) nobody sits behind me! When wifey drives, someone can fit behind her seat. We use the car mostly in stop-start traffic, which plays havoc with fuel consumption (16km/l is best) but for our purpose it works very well. Would I advise you to buy it? No, make your own decision! I do not know the Fiat and cannot compare.

If I could get the performance and ability of the Panda with the build and dealer network of the Up! = perfect city car in my opinion.

Oh and the interior of the Up!. That Panda really has an ugly dash in pictures. Hopefully it's better in the flesh
    You go on about the build quality of the UP!. I've driven one. It was SHITE! I really do not mean to offend anyone who has one but, I could not believe it was a VW. (Ive owned 3 VW's in my life and family members have an older Passat)
    If you want build quality look at the new Kia Picanto.
    Comparing these two the VW Up! Cross and Fiat Panda - the Fiat by a long shot.
    Last edited by Nox; 2017/08/07 at 04:05 PM.
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ

Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    You go on about the build quality of the UP. I've driven one. It was SHITE!
    Facelift or pre-facelift?

At the dealer I could compare the two side by side, and yes the pre-facelift model is a mixed bag.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast