VW Cross Up! vs Fiat Panda Cross - Page 3

View Poll Results: Which city car would you choose?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • VW Cross Up!

23 32.39%
  • Fiat Panda Cross

48 67.61%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: VW Cross Up! vs Fiat Panda Cross

I can see where Fluffy comes from in his other post

business must be really slow
    2004 Defender TD5
    1992 Defender 3.5V8
    PROJECT OVERHAUL http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...oject+overhaul

Quote Originally Posted by Ocin View Post
    I'm lost. Why are you looking to buy another car?
    Jik jou gat alweer?
    Two reasons

I use the Jeep as my daily drive at the moment, and it's racking up mileage like crazy. Almost on 44 000km just over a year after I bought it.

As I said, the JKU is lovely to drive, but when you add up the running costs it's better to get a small fuel efficient vehicle for my daily errands and keep the Jeep for weekends and holidays.

Just in fuel alone the Jeep is about R6K a month to run. Factor in the price of tyres and services and you're looking at a tidy sum every month.

Also, if I don't have to use the Jeep on a daily basis, I can start modding it with a lift and bigger tyres etc. Part of the reason why I haven't modded the Jeep yet is that it will become even heavier on fuel and less pleasant to drive around the city.

It just feels more sensible to have a small city car for the daily slog instead of a big off roader that drinks fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    Two reasons

I use the Jeep as my daily drive at the moment, and it's racking up mileage like crazy. Almost on 44 000km just over a year after I bought it.

As I said, the JKU is lovely to drive, but when you add up the running costs it's better to get a small fuel efficient vehicle for my daily errands and keep the Jeep for weekends and holidays.

Just in fuel alone the Jeep is about R6K a month to run. Factor in the price of tyres and services and you're looking at a tidy sum every month.

Also, if I don't have to use the Jeep on a daily basis, I can start modding it with a lift and bigger tyres etc. Part of the reason why I haven't modded the Jeep yet is that it will become even heavier on fuel and less pleasant to drive around the city.

It just feels more sensible to have a small city car for the daily slog instead of a big off roader that drinks fuel.
    Johan, as dit by liefde kom dink 'n man met sy hart . Koop die Fiat en sou jy later uitvind dit was nie eintlik die regte "move" nie "so what". Ten minste was dit darem 'n lekker move.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bekker Snr View Post
    Johan, as dit by liefde kom dink 'n man met sy hart . Koop die Fiat en sou jy later uitvind dit was nie eintlik die regte "move" nie "so what". Ten minste was dit darem 'n lekker move.!!!
    You know what, one thing I already know I'm going to miss about the Jeep is how nobody messes with me in traffic.

Even taxis don't try to pull moves when they see a 2 ton orange brick with steel bumpers coming towards them.

I have a feeling neither the Panda nor the Up! will instill the same kind of respect (or fear, probably)

Two reasons

You can buy A lot of fuel for R250K.
    A cheapie would make more (actually) financial sense.
    That being said between the two I would go for the fiat. It's got personality.
    The VW is just soooooo boring. Might as well buy a corolla.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lisse View Post
    Why the Cross Up! when the Up beats! has all the extras you want at no extra cost?

Also, I'd wait for VW to bring the turbo-triples
    The Up! Beats does have a massive sound system but the other niceties are also all optional, like cruise control, heated seats and PDC. And it's low to the ground so gravel will be more of an issue.

Main issue is I don't really like the Beats, it just looks less classy than the standard Up! or the Cross Up!

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    the Cross Up , like the Polo Cross, Etios Cross and so on is supposed to be the heavy duty offroad version of a model from the marketing bumpf.

What it seems to mean is a large plastic bumper and a sticker on a FWD city car.

At least the Fiat has genuine 4x4 and is slightly higher than it's lesser brethren, and can make the odd obstacle.

Perhaps we need to see a 'cross challenge' for the 'cross' cats of vehicles?

anyway.

for about 10% more the Fiat is a no brainer.

If you can forego the big plastic bumper and the sticker, the Fiat panda 4x4 should be about 15k less.
    I had a look now.

The Panda 4x4 is R230K, the Cross 250K

For your R20K you get:

• slightly more power, 66kW vs 63kW, but the same torque
    • LED daytime running lights (a safety feature on a small car imo)
    • Extra body cladding (meh) , skid plates front and rear (meh) and those lovely red tow hooks at the front (I like them )
    • Leather steering wheel
    • Hill descent control
    • Heated rear view mirrors, especially handy in foggy Sea Point where the whole car is often covered with condensation by the time I have to drive home at night
    • Around 11mm more ground clearance
    • Slightly bigger tyres (185/65/15 vs 175/65/15)

I actually prefer the look of the standard 4x4, but some of the features on the Cross are nice to have. Like the steering wheel, it's something you hold every day, and touching leather is so much nicer than sticky plastic.

It's probably a stretch but in a way the standard 4x4 is the Sahara and the Cross is the Rubicon

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    the Cross Up , like the Polo Cross, Etios Cross and so on is supposed to be the heavy duty offroad version of a model from the marketing bumpf.

What it seems to mean is a large plastic bumper and a sticker on a FWD city car.

At least the Fiat has genuine 4x4 and is slightly higher than it's lesser brethren, and can make the odd obstacle.

Perhaps we need to see a 'cross challenge' for the 'cross' cats of vehicles?

anyway.

for about 10% more the Fiat is a no brainer.

If you can forego the big plastic bumper and the sticker, the Fiat panda 4x4 should be about 15k less.
    Another thing I've noticed while car shopping, bizarrely the Cross versions of most city cars have bigger wheels and lower profile tyres. Some as low as a 45 profile on a 17" rim.
    Not what I'd call ideal for tackling the odd bit of gravel, never mind going anywhere remotely off road.

At least the Panda sticks to a sensible 15" wheel with a nice fat 65 profile tyre. Good for letting some air out for better performance off road.

I'm really keen to see how it will do in the dunes. 66kW doesn't sound like a lot but then again it doesn't weigh that much.

The Up! Beats does have a massive sound system but the other niceties are also all optional, like cruise control, heated seats and PDC. And it's low to the ground so gravel will be more of an issue.

Main issue is I don't really like the Beats, it just looks less classy than the standard Up! or the Cross Up!
    I speak under correction but with the Beats you sacrifice the spare wheel in favour of the subwoofer.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    I speak under correction but with the Beats you sacrifice the spare wheel in favour of the subwoofer.
    If that is so, that's an automatic disqualification

Must say the normal Up! has a full size spare vs the space saver in the Panda

2004 Defender 110 Td5

Thanks, indeed it seems no spare on the Beats to make space for the sub.

Those tyre sealant kits are worthless in my opinion, I've never had a puncture that any of those could fix for any reasonable distance. In fact, in the small Karoo town where I'm from, the local B&B's does a decent trade off run-flat and sealant dependent motorists stranded over weekends as they get a puncture in the middle of nowhere and have to wait for a tyre to come from a main center.

I flatly refuse to take a run-flat or sealant equipped vehicle onto gravel, the average visit to my parents farm almost always involves a puncture, even on the Jeep.

Correction, while the entry level Up! has a full size spare, the Cross Up! gets a space saver. The bigger wheel probably doesn't fit in the boot...

So the Cross Up! and Panda Cross both have space savers. Still not ideal but a lot better than nothing. You can drive a space saver for as long as you need to, albeit not very fast, but at least you can keep going.

Wonder why they didn't slap a spare on the boot of the Panda Cross, it suits the character of the car.
    Last edited by Johan Slabbert; 2017/08/06 at 03:15 PM.

Default VW Cross Up! vs Fiat Panda Cross

Why would you possibly need to drive gravel with your city car when you have a Wrangler?

Buy a Fiat 500 and be done.

EDIT: I suppose if forced to choose between the options given I'd take the Panda.
    Last edited by DCR; 2017/08/06 at 04:04 PM.
    Dewald

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post
    Why would you possibly need to drive gravel with your city car when you have a Wrangler?

EDIT: I suppose if forced to choose between the options given I'd take the Panda.
    Moved away from Wanting a city car...

My vote still goes for the Up! though.

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post

I looked at the 500, and it's cute and competent but the Panda seems better value at roughly the same money.
    Also the 500 is really small, and the long doors gets annoying in tight parking spaces.

As for gravel...

The short answer is because my mom misses me

Mostly for visiting my parents on the farm. It's about a 2000km round trip that involves about 300km of bad gravel.

When I used to have the Prius I'd go visit 6 or more times a year. Drive there on the Friday, drive back the Monday morning.
    With the Jeep that's dropped to about 2 - 3 times a year, mostly because it's so heavy on fuel that it's difficult to justify the expense of a quick weekend visit.

I don't NEED the gravel road ability, I can take a detour of about 150km more and let my parents come fetch me from the farm with the Fortuner, but that's a schlep. Used to do that when I had the Minis and the smart fortwo.

Further it would be nice to have a city car that can handle some gravel, a few of my errands involve buying wine directly from the farm sometimes, so it's handy for that.

It's not a deal breaker, but it's a very nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lisse View Post
    Moved away from Wanting a city car...

My vote still goes for the Up! though.
    I think both of these are still firmly city cars. Neither are what I'd term long distance cruisers.

The difference is the Up! looks like it could go off road, whereas the Panda actually can.

The major advantage the Up! has (besides price) is the perceived reliability and good dealer network. Although I must say, Googling for problems on either doesn't exactly bring up horror stories.

Both uses drive-trains that's mass manufactured and proven to be reliable.

I'll be the first to say that Panda has an ugly interior.

They take the "squircle" theme way too far.

Drive em both and buy the one you enjoy more. I'm sttill in VW corner.
    '06 TJ Wranger | 4.0L Auto| 4.5" Lift | 35" Copper STT | 15" MT Classic II Black | 4.88 Gears

Quote Originally Posted by GasHog View Post
    Drive em both and buy the one you enjoy more. I'm sttill in VW corner.
    The Panda should be in stock sometime this week. The dealer promised me a call as soon as it arrives.

I drove the Up!, it's a car I could easily own. It's one of those cars where the first time you get in you drive it as if you've owned it for years. Everything is exactly where you expect it to be, and controls operates with a familiar and calculated weight, from closing the door to operating the clutch to the indicator stalk.

The Up! has a continuity of build that only German manufacturers seems to be able to get so spot on.

If I sound impressed, I am.

I looked at the 500, and it's cute and competent but the Panda seems better value at roughly the same money.
    Also the 500 is really small, and the long doors gets annoying in tight parking spaces.

As for gravel...

The short answer is because my mom misses me

Mostly for visiting my parents on the farm. It's about a 2000km round trip that involves about 300km of bad gravel.

When I used to have the Prius I'd go visit 6 or more times a year. Drive there on the Friday, drive back the Monday morning.
    With the Jeep that's dropped to about 2 - 3 times a year, mostly because it's so heavy on fuel that it's difficult to justify the expense of a quick weekend visit.

I don't NEED the gravel road ability, I can take a detour of about 150km more and let my parents come fetch me from the farm with the Fortuner, but that's a schlep. Used to do that when I had the Minis and the smart fortwo.

Further it would be nice to have a city car that can handle some gravel, a few of my errands involve buying wine directly from the farm sometimes, so it's handy for that.

It's not a deal breaker, but it's a very nice to have.
    Get a Sandero Stepway and fit it with a pushbar, that way you won't damage the paint when you park it at night. That meets all your criteria. 😌

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast