VW Cross Up! vs Fiat Panda Cross - Page 12

View Poll Results: Which city car would you choose?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • VW Cross Up!

23 32.39%
  • Fiat Panda Cross

48 67.61%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Default Re: VW Cross Up! vs Fiat Panda Cross

Quote Originally Posted by blatham View Post
    When I'm back in Jo'burg. Currently working in the Northern Cape with terrible signal. Meantime there are tons of you tube videos of Pandas off road. It takes a lot of pedal work on rough ground, but it'll get there. The thing takes getting used to, because it's half way between an old thumper trail bike and a car-with a first gear that chokes after two seconds on tar. Pulling away at the lights is a bit like a huge rig, because you're in second within meters, and third very soon after that. Third and fourth have excellent acceleration, but once in sixth, you rarely have to change down. Just put more foot and the torque kicks in. The claimed 4 liters per 100km is a joke, though. More like eight. I ended up with another 40 liters on the roof, because I was worried about running out. There are a couple of stretches on my commute where there's not much guaranteed petrol.
    Quote Originally Posted by blatham View Post
    So, the Panda Cross has a couple of problems - mainly tyres. The spare is a ''biscuit,'' so you need to buy an additional rim & tyre, but finding AT tyres this size in SA is a mission. I've failed. (185/55/R15). I lost one in the Karoo when I had to dive off the ''road'' at speed. The dealer had unhelpfully supplied the wrong rim, so I limped into Upington with a great deal of clanking after jimmying it. It's also pretty dusty in there, but no worse than my Wrangler. On the plus side, it flies on gravel and grips nicely. It's best points, though, are mud and sand, where it's truly fantastic and the match of any large 4WD. Actually, better. No need to mess around with tyre pressure because it's so light, and the 4x4 so nimble, it just skims over the surface. Bought the vehicle in late October 2017 and have done 20,000km since, mostly in Zim.
    Thanks for this, I was very curious to hear some first hand feedback about the Panda. I still like it, despite the shortcomings that annoyed me. If it wasn't R60K more than the VW up!, I would probably have bought it.

How's your fuel consumption looking? To me that was the single biggest deciding factor, I just couldn't justify paying R60K more for a car that is supposed to save me on fuel but drinks double what it claims.

I see that you are still very pro VW Up Johan. From the link in the online bargain threat...

Any news of an automatic variant on the horizon? VW site only lists manual options, but an auto mated the the 1.0L will be great

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    I see that you are still very pro VW Up Johan. From the link in the online bargain threat...

Any news of an automatic variant on the horizon? VW site only lists manual options, but an auto mated the the 1.0L will be great
    It has failed to disappoint and continue to impress, so yes I am very pleased with the little car.

The is an AMT version in other markets, but I am not a fan of that type of transmission. Yes it changes gears for you, but it's a far cry from a proper seamless auto.

I'd like an auto, but with these tiny engines a conventional auto saps too much power, a CVT/DSG adds too much cost and the AMT I've covered.

With these little cars, manual is the best option.

If VW brought a 1L turbocharged version with a DSG box, I'd look at one.

But I'll confess, every time I see a Panda Cross, a little string in my heart gets tugged...

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Slabbert View Post
    It has failed to disappoint and continue to impress, so yes I am very pleased with the little car.

But I'll confess, every time I see a Panda Cross, a little string in my heart gets tugged...
    Until you won a Panda and drive it daily...then you will lose that heart string tugging quickly.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2019 VW Tiguan 4mtion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Until you won a Panda and drive it daily...then you will lose that heart string tugging quickly.
    Tell us your story

As you'll recall, I spend a weekend with one. Even took it off road.

It's not perfect, it frustrated me in many ways, but it had character in spades.

It's a bit the redhead that you're not sure is going to bite your head off, or get your head off...

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Had mine since Oct. 2017. True, it's different, but here's the thing. It's fast enough on tar, grips so hard on gravel it makes driving effortlesless and in sand and mud, it's pretty much unbeatable. I travel 3,000km a month in the thing. Yes, it has downsides. It's tiny. 100 liters of petrol pretty much fills my boot. Off-road driving requires you to consciously keep your foot off the clutch - it'll keep going with zero acceleration because 1st gear is low range, which is why it takes a fortnight to get to 100km/h. Just pretend it's an automatic until you need to change up.
    Another downside? It's thirsty for a small car. It doesn't like strong wind if there's too much on the roof.
    When you drive for work, you look for the good roads.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12